or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch

Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch - Page 3

post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that Apple always has several new versions of all their existing products in various stages of development

I would be shocked if they didn't. Doubly so given how much Jobs has talked about looking to the future.

Quote:
-- and depending on opportunity/necessity can announce/release a follow-on product at almost any time.

It's probably more realistic to say that they go by their own schedule. I don't know how effective it would be for them to expedite their schedule, bringing their deadline forward a few months, too many things need to come together in a way that needs to be planned months in advance. I don't think they'd sit on several million units of inventory for months to get the ability to announce at a moment's notice.
post #82 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And we see how successful all the competitors have been in the mobile space......

Apple has a perfectly valid strategy which has proven to be quite successful. They've shown that there are plenty of customers who are NOT looking for the latest, shiniest gimmick. It is also clear that Apple is not resting on its laurels as you are alleging. "iPhone 5 is not even in the oven yet"? Bull. The next version of the iPhone is certainly well into the testing stage by now and based on product development cycles, they almost certainly have prototypes of the following version. They probably even have concepts for the version after that.

But feel free to explain to us how your marketing and product development experience is such that we should listen to you telling Apple what to do.

There is no need for a phoney baloney marketing experience (such as the way you think how things work generally) to understand the whole process.

Not all customers who want to own an iPhone have the fanboy mentality. Case in point - pre-Verizon iPhone. Verizon customers who wanted to own one but couldn't because they did not want to leave Verizon for ATT had to contend with Android devices as alternative. And that's when Android became a big hit as an OS...and the rest is history.

Same thing could happen when Nokia devices running the much refined Windows Mobile Mango roll around (before we even see the shadow of iPhone 4S/5) and have an early chance to lure customers whose contracts with their carriers are expiring or have expired and ready to pick up a new device. Do you think a big percentage of them checks out the rumor blogs and see when iPhone 5 will become available? Certainly not. They will simply head out to their carrier and see what's on the display racks. And if you still don't know that once they got locked in to a new contract, it means lost opportunity for Apple. Apple could not and should not rest on its laurels and hope that they can deflect customers' attention to focus on their device alone forever. Mobile industry is a buyers market and availability and timing of product launches play a huge role in consumers' buying decisions.

Enough of this product release secrecy BS. Apple should take care of its core customers and indicate a ballpark release date straight from their mouths (not from the rumor blogs) because their core customers have other plans too.
post #83 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would be shocked if they didn't. Doubly so given how much Jobs has talked about looking to the future.

It's probably more realistic to say that they go by their own schedule. I don't know how effective it would be for them to expedite their schedule, bringing their deadline forward a few months, too many things need to come together in a way that needs to be planned months in advance. I don't think they'd sit on several million units of inventory for months to get the ability to announce at a moment's notice.

I agree in general... Apple will never sit on inventory. But, Apple is agile enough to re-prioritise their efforts and resources when opportunity or needs dictate. I think the delay of OS X to get the iPhone (iOS) out on time is a good example. I suspect that the iPad 2 was released to preempt competition and because the technology was ready -- even though the manufacturing yield/ramp up was not.

With the iP4, Apple hasn't got much competition -- so they can delay release of a follow-on until it suits their needs.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Apple is DONE with the "s" nomenclature. Period.

The iPhone 4 is actually the fourth iPhone. To suggest they'll be an iPhone 4S is to suggest the next one will be the iPhone 6 and there's no way in hell Apple will cause that confusion. Enough already. THINK.

No-one is arguing that there would be an iPhone 4S instead of an iPhone 5. Folks are suggesting that there will be an iPhone 4S in addition to an iPhone 5. This allows them to keep the numbering correct (as you note), whilst making any necessary changes to the iPhone 4 to allow it serve as Apple's lower end device.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #85 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

Same thing could happen when Nokia devices running the much refined Windows Mobile Mango roll around (before we even see the shadow of iPhone 4S/5) and have an early chance to lure customers whose contracts with their carriers are expiring or have expired and ready to pick up a new device.

I'm sorry I must have missed Nokia's announcement of a release date for their WP7 phones, along with their announcement of the actual models. Given that Nokia announced the N9 way back in June and even now in August we still don't know when it will be released or what carriers will have it - I'd say at this rate the chance of you seeing a Nokia Mango phone in shops before November is small to vanishing.

Quote:
Enough of this product release secrecy BS. Apple should take care of its core customers and indicate a ballpark release date straight from their mouths (not from the rumor blogs) because their core customers have other plans too.

Apple announces their product when it's available for purchase. Frankly that's preferable to the kind of bullshit that Nokia played with the N9.
post #86 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I'm sorry I must have missed Nokia's announcement of a release date for their WP7 phones, along with their announcement of the actual models. Given that Nokia announced the N9 way back in June and even now in August we still don't know when it will be released or what carriers will have it - I'd say at this rate the chance of you seeing a Nokia Mango phone in shops before November is small to vanishing.

For you to see in all its glory:

http://freethegadgets.com/nokia/noki...lease-details/

Quote:
Apple announces their product when it's available for purchase. Frankly that's preferable to the kind of bullshit that Nokia played with the N9.

But they are sleeping at the switch way too long this time when they should be cornering more potential subscribers whose contracts have expired the first half of this year and have been painfully waiting for the next iteration of iPhone. Apple should say a word to calm these people before they migrate to competing devices most notably Nokia Mango.
post #87 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

For you to see in all its glory:

http://freethegadgets.com/nokia/noki...lease-details/

So, Nokia are announcing something in August and you're assuming that it's going to be that WP7 phones are on sale? Big assumption. Nokia don't announce a product and release it on the same day - just like the N9.

Expect to see a grand unveiling, lots of graphics of sea ray and absolutely no product availability. Availability is likely to be very end of October at the earliest.

Quote:
But they are sleeping at the switch way too long this time when they should be cornering more potential subscribers whose contracts have expired the first half of this year and have been painfully waiting for the next iteration of iPhone. Apple should say a word to calm these people before they migrate to competing devices most notably Nokia Mango.

They sold more iPhones last quarter than ever before, the YoY growth rate was higher than normal, the idea that they're somehow missing subscribers is completely bogus. The only person who desperately needs calming apparently is you.
post #88 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintgunter View Post

My take on the "iPhone 4S" name: http://pixelegend.net/post/4s.html

Nope.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch