or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell kills its 5" Android tablet as ABI searches for success among tablet failures

Dell kills its 5" Android tablet as ABI searches for success among tablet failures - Page 3

post #81 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. Which part? The part where he says he whipped out his surrogate manhood and passed it around and people couldn't keep their hands off it?

Har! That's the exact part of the his post that cemented the deal in my mind...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #82 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Dell's real problem was using Android and also relying on Microsoft. Dell should have turned to the Linux community to create a better software system. It would have been closer to iOS than Android.

Programmers are already experimenting with Linux on tablets. Eventually there will be a good free OS that will work better than Android that can be installed on tablets. Once one of them takes off, Android will be in trouble if they don't fix their OS so it can be easily updated by all of their customers. That is one reason I don't want to purchase an Android device.

Dell really needs to keep the design around in its labs and update the technology even if they don't sell one right now. Eventually they'll need that experience to put into a functioning miniature tablet. Tablets large and small are the future of computing. Microsoft has proven that they aren't the right company for the job. Dell had better start thinking beyond the next product cycle and either create their own OS or partner with someone who has a better OS.

Apple created their own ecosystem when they were a smaller company. Dell should have the capability to do it too. HP has taken the step with WebOS. The writing is on the wall for Microsoft's domination of the home OS market to end.

Wow. Just... um.... wow.

I've heard a lot of ideas and predictions but this is the first time I've ever heard that the Linux community will rise up in unison and create one tablet OS to rule them all.

The concept of Dell going out on their own and creating a custom OS is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard.

I've said this a hundred times before but I'll say it again. In the connected future users will have a web of interconnected devices and how a device behaves as a part of that web will be more important than how it works as a standalone device.

Essentially Dell's only hope is to back the ecosystems. At the moment it looks like there will be three. iOS (Apple), Android (Google/Amazon) and Windows (Microsoft).

All of the other standalone OS's, like Blackberry, Bada, Meego, WebOS and your Linux community backed OS, will eventually die off.
post #83 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer
If you're talking quarterly figures I think that the 20.34 mil headline figure is shipped not sold, so you'd have to subtract off the inventory change of 700k. I believe that Apple uses the same approach of reporting shipped units because it's the GAAP accepted approach, but then they provide the additional channel inventory numbers so analysts can easily see the sell-through.

I thought Apple stopped doing GAAP a couple of years ago which is why customers no longer pay for software updates for iPod touches ?
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
post #84 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Wow. Just... um.... wow.

I've heard a lot of ideas and predictions but this is the first time I've ever heard that the Linux community will rise up in unison and create one tablet OS to rule them all.

The concept of Dell going out on their own and creating a custom OS is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard.

I've said this a hundred times before but I'll say it again. In the connected future users will have a web of interconnected devices and how a device behaves as a part of that web will be more important than how it works as a standalone device.

Essentially Dell's only hope is to back the ecosystems. At the moment it looks like there will be three. iOS (Apple), Android (Google/Amazon) and Windows (Microsoft).

All of the other standalone OS's, like Blackberry, Bada, Meego, WebOS and your Linux community backed OS, will eventually die off.

word.

Android needs to get it's sh!t together though. If it wasn't for the rooted community I'd have been left Android or at least gone with a Sense based device (only usable OEM skin IMO)
post #85 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

word.

Android needs to get it's sh!t together though. If it wasn't for the rooted community I'd have been left Android or at least gone with a Sense based device (only usable OEM skin IMO)

Yeah.... apple could use some valid competition.
post #86 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I thought Apple stopped doing GAAP a couple of years ago which is why customers no longer pay for software updates for iPod touches ?

They still have to use GAAP, but they switched to a different interpretation, or changed the way that they recognized revenues to allow some to be deferred to cover future updates. Maybe GAAP itself wss changed to permit this, I'm not enough of an accountancy geek to know I'm afraid

'The preparation of these condensed consolidated financial statements in conformity with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) requires management to make estimates and assumptions that affect the amounts reported in these condensed consolidated financial statements and accompanying notes.'

Either way they explain how they do the revenue recognition in the 10-Q and 'For most of the Companys product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped'.
post #87 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It seems a lot of people actually like the [5-7" tablet] form factor ...

But not those actually buying it. The market has already spoken on 5-7" tablets and they are no man's land.
post #88 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But not those actually buying it. The market has already spoken on 5-7" tablets and they are no man's land.

I've never disputed that nobody is buying tweener tablets, I'm saying that we as yet don't know the reason.

Suppose I offered for sale a new size of sandwich, that's like a pair of baguettes in a siamese twin arrangement, and I sell this sandwich with a filling made of horse manure. Nobody buys it. Possibly this is because my siamese twinwich is a fundamentally bad form factor for sandwiches, but equally possibly people just don't like the taste of horse shit.

Right now 7inch tablets only come in horse shit flavour.
post #89 of 96
I've seen a couple of Streaks in the wild. Always triggers a double take as the size just seems so unusual. Nice device though. Apple would do well to make an iPod Touch at that size.
post #90 of 96
Quote:

They still have to use GAAP, but they switched to a different interpretation, or changed the way that they recognized revenues to allow some to be deferred to cover future updates. Maybe GAAP itself wss changed to permit this, I'm not enough of an accountancy geek to know I'm afraid

'The preparation of these condensed consolidated financial statements in conformity with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) requires management to make estimates and assumptions that affect the amounts reported in these condensed consolidated financial statements and accompanying notes.'

Either way they explain how they do the revenue recognition in the 10-Q and 'For most of the Companys product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped'.

Accounting rules make my eyes glaze over. I had it wrong. In fact, it's the opposite. Apple no longer includes non-GAAP numbers which means their revenue will not match iPhones sold OR shipped because GAAP numbers reflect deferred revenue (AT&T and possibly Verizon do not pay Apple everything upfront).
post #91 of 96
Quote:

I've never disputed that nobody is buying tweener tablets, I'm saying that we as yet don't know the reason. ...

We know the reason, you just don't accept it. The reason is that, as even your own examples of what "could" work on a 5-7" tablet, it's only workable when there is no UI chrome -- i.e. apps that do nothing but display content. Even there, a larger screen would be better. Again, it's too large to be pocketable, too small to be truly useful and not just an expensive toy.
post #92 of 96
Quote:

We know the reason, you just don't accept it. The reason is that, as even your own examples of what "could" work on a 5-7" tablet, it's only workable when there is no UI chrome -- i.e. apps that do nothing but display content. Even there, a larger screen would be better. Again, it's too large to be pocketable, too small to be truly useful and not just an expensive toy.

No, we don't - you simply think you know the reason. We won't know that 7inch tablets fail until one of the following things happens
  • Apple makes a 7inch tablet that fails
  • An Android OEM makes a 10inch tablet that succeeds

When either of those occurs we'll be in a position to know that the problem is the form factor. This is simple logic.
post #93 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Accounting rules make my eyes glaze over.

Indeed! And roll back in my skull
post #94 of 96
Quote:

No, we don't - you simply think you know the reason. We won't know that 7inch tablets fail until one of the following things happens
  • Apple makes a 7inch tablet that fails
  • An Android OEM makes a 10inch tablet that succeeds

When either of those occurs we'll be in a position to know that the problem is the form factor. This is simple logic.

It may seem to be "simple logic", but we know many things that don't fit neatly into a syllogism. Although, neither of the things you list would prove it either. I know you can't stand to be wrong, but on this point, you definitely are, for reasons you insist on ignoring.
post #95 of 96
Quote:

It may seem to be "simple logic", but we know many things that don't fit neatly into a syllogism. Although, neither of the things you list would prove it either. I know you can't stand to be wrong, but on this point, you definitely are, for reasons you insist on ignoring.

They would come far closer to proving it than anything which we have currently seen, total proof will always be impossible of course. I have no problem being wrong, it happens fairly often, but in this instance I am not - the contention that the 7inch tablet market is non-existent is no more proven than the idea that people didn't want to view video on their iPods was.
post #96 of 96
Quote:

They would come far closer to proving it than anything which we have currently seen, total proof will always be impossible of course. I have no problem being wrong, it happens fairly often, but in this instance I am not - the contention that the 7inch tablet market is non-existent is no more proven than the idea that people didn't want to view video on their iPods was.

You obviously hate being wrong so much that now you're trying to change what your position is even about, let alone what it is. Sorry, but, as you well know, we haven't been discussing whether the, "7inch tablet market is non-existent."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Dell kills its 5" Android tablet as ABI searches for success among tablet failures
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell kills its 5" Android tablet as ABI searches for success among tablet failures