or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › City of Cupertino posts further details on Apple mega-campus

City of Cupertino posts further details on Apple mega-campus

post #1 of 125
The City of Cupertino has revealed more details and renderings regarding Apple's plans to build a 2.8 million square-foot spaceship-like circular office building in the city.

The city is currently in the midst of its review process of Apple's plans. The first step of the review involves an environmental impact assessment that will evaluate traffic, noise, air quality and will provide the public with an opportunity for comment. Apple's proposal would then undergo a development review and public hearings at the Planning Commission and the City Council.

According to the company's plans, the four-story structure, dubbed "Apple Campus 2," would comprise approximately 2.8 million square feet. A Corporate Auditorium on the campus would seat 1,000 people, while new Research Facilities would take up 300,000 square feet.

Apple's objectives for the project are to "maximize efficiency and convenience" to its employees, create a "distinctive and inspiring 21st Century workplace," and "exceed economic social and environmental sustainability goals through integrated design and development."

The office space would support up to 13,000 employees. Apple is also looking to decrease its reliance on electricity provided by the city power grid by building its on-site Central Plant.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs first revealed the plans for the new campus in June at a city council meeting, describing the main office building as looking "a little like a spaceship landed." The proposed circular structure would use curved glass all the way around and may become "the best office building in the world," according to Jobs.

The company lists more than a dozen permits and approvals that it is seeking for the project.

Cupertino mayor Gilbert Wong has said that there is "no chance" the city council will not approve the structure. Neighboring cities have also responded positively to the project, in spite of a history of disagreements over major construction undertakings near the borders of Cupertino, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara.

The proposed site for the facility is a 150 acre property that Apple has pieced together, recently purchasing a large chunk of the future campus from Hewlett Packard.

Apple last month reportedly leased 373,000 square feet of office space in Cupertino to house 1,300 of its workers while it awaits completion of its new campus in 2015.

The company's recent growth surge, led by sales of the iPhone and iPad, has left the company with cramped quarters for its burgeoning staff. According to Jobs, Apple has had to rent buildings "at an ever greater radius" from its current headquarters at One Infinite Loop, which hold roughly 2,600 employees.

Apple may in fact outgrow the proposed facility by the time it is completed, as the company already has 12,000 employees in the area.
post #2 of 125
Wow the new, more detailed plans look better, and better. Can't wait for this to be built. GO APPLE!
post #3 of 125
Apple should make this a six or seven story building to handle future expansion. Since they probably can't create anything higher than four stories above ground, they should create two or more underground levels all around the facility. They could keep all of the top secret stuff down there.
post #4 of 125
Ok so Steve Jobs and the integration of alien technology and now a building that could look like a space ship. Hmmm. As long as it makes me happy I am game.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #5 of 125
I was poking around at their offices yesterday as it happens. Got my picture next to the infinite loop sign (yeah I know im sad) and ate at JB's, they make a mean pulled pork BBQ burger at that joint.
post #6 of 125
The artist impressions make it look as though there's going to be no paths leading to the campus. And where is the parking lot?
post #7 of 125
The church!
post #8 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

The artist impressions make it look as though there's going to be no paths leading to the campus. And where is the parking lot?

90% of the parking is going to be underground.
post #9 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

Check the other drawings... there are plans for both automobile and pedestrian traffic.

There are 4,600 parking spaces under the building. And 4,300 spaces in a separate parking structure.

Again... check the blueprints. They are actually pretty fascinating!
post #10 of 125
I hope it has a monorail running around as it will be a heck of a long walk if you need to go from one office to another that's 180 degrees away. Other than that it is awesome.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #11 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Ok so Steve Jobs and the integration of alien technology and now a building that could look like a space ship. Hmmm. As long as it makes me happy I am game.

Maybe not alien, maybe he just brings back plans for stuff from our own future?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #12 of 125
Spaceship, huh? Is it really acceptable to use references to fiction without specifying the exact work of fiction? I don't believe that there is a consensus as to what a "spaceship" should look like, at least not within our boring majority of non-users of halucinogenic drugs...
post #13 of 125
So up to 13,000 employees and a bit more than half that number of parking spots. Although I note that the site is next to an existing I-280 interchange, it strikes me that managing that amount of traffic flow in and out of the campus could be a major challenge.
post #14 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Apple should make this a six or seven story building to handle future expansion. Since they probably can't create anything higher than four stories above ground, they should create two or more underground levels all around the facility. They could keep all of the top secret stuff down there.

And you're just completely ignoring that there are two basement levels already.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #15 of 125

Chemtrails?
post #16 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

Chemtrails?

Please be making a joke.

post #17 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Spaceship, huh? Is it really acceptable to use references to fiction without specifying the exact work of fiction? I don't believe that there is a consensus as to what a "spaceship" should look like, at least not within our boring majority of non-users of halucinogenic drugs...

After the '51 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still was shown, people had the general notion that spaceships were round, like the proposed Apple campus, and that perception probably persisted until '66 when Star Trek first aired... then the general shape of the spaceship began to change in the public's mind (but, even the Enterprise still had that round shape as its main component).

Now, if you type "spaceship" into Google (remembering that a puppy will die) and look at the images, then you'll see that the vast majority of spaceships are not round or anywhere close to round.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #18 of 125
Quote:

Obviously a Jobsian spaceship would be based on close encounters

post #19 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope it has a monorail running around as it will be a heck of a long walk if you need to go from one office to another that's 180 degrees away. Other than that it is awesome.

Well, one hopes there are doors along the side that faces the central arboretum. Then you could presumably cut across that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, one hopes there are doors along the side that faces the central arboretum. Then you could presumably cut across that.

There will be transporters in several key areas throughout the campus.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #21 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

After the '51 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still was shown, people had the general notion that spaceships were round, like the proposed Apple campus, and that perception probably persisted until '66 when Star Trek first aired... then the general shape of the spaceship began to change in the public's mind (but, even the Enterprise still had that round shape as its main component).

Now, if you type "spaceship" into Google (remembering that a puppy will die) and look at the images, then you'll see that the vast majority of spaceships are not round or anywhere close to round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Obviously a Jobsian spaceship would be based on close encounters

I know I'm in a very obscure minority, but to me a spaceship will always be something like this:

post #22 of 125
I reckon Cupertino will get lots of revenue form tourism....
post #23 of 125
Quote:

I know I'm in a very obscure minority, but to me a spaceship will always be something like this:

Is that what you use on your home planet?

j/k
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #24 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

True, but in bad weather ....
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #25 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There will be transporters in several key areas throughout the campus.

Oh good, any info? I was hoping that was the case and it would be some new super cool concept unique to Apple.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #26 of 125
Quote:

But that's a British sci-fi spaceship, maybe if ARM were going to build one it would be Blake-7 style. Apple is californian, and the classic californian spaceships are Speibergian from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind and ET. They're round.
post #27 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

Chemtrails?

I doubt that those Chemtrails came from the engines of the space ship campus! But you never know?

I like how campus space ship looks to have a bridge, it is in the floor plans too, I think they are calling it the restaurant!

post #28 of 125
"Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives.
We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology.
Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths.
Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.
We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause.
Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion.
We shall prevail!"
post #29 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

I doubt that those Chemtrails came from the engines of the space ship campus! But you never know?

I like how campus space ship looks to have a bridge, it is in the floor plans too, I think they are calling it the restaurant!

Whoopie Goldberg will be tending the bar.
post #30 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

"Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives.
We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology.
Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths.
Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.
We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause.
Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion.
We shall prevail!"

cheezy
post #31 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

cheezy

YOU MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING.

post #32 of 125
Why does the Cupertino government have to "approve" of this plan? Is Apple getting a zoning variance? If they buy the property and build within zoning protocols, all they should need is a building permit. Maybe they're de-mapping some streets or something, I dunno.

And I don't get why they wouldn't build, say, just one story higher so they have room to expand - if they have to get government approval anyway, and the government there is probably just falling over itself to grant it anyway, why not build slightly bigger so there's room to fit more employees than they already have in the area?
post #33 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Why does the Cupertino government have to "approve" of this plan? Is Apple getting a zoning variance? If they buy the property and build within zoning protocols, all they should need is a building permit. Maybe they're de-mapping some streets or something, I dunno.

A quick glance at the plans shows Apple's getting rid of at least one road, yes

Quote:
And I don't get why they wouldn't build, say, just one story higher so they have room to expand - if they have to get government approval anyway, and the government there is probably just falling over itself to grant it anyway, why not build slightly bigger so there's room to fit more employees than they already have in the area?

They're keeping One Infinite Loop for that.

post #34 of 125
Can't wait for the first pictures of this from NASA.
post #35 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

But that's a British sci-fi spaceship, maybe if ARM were going to build one it would be Blake-7 style. Apple is californian, and the classic californian spaceships are Speibergian from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind and ET. They're round.

Apple may be Californian, but Apple's top designer IS British
post #36 of 125
Quote:

To avoid nonsense like the ridiculous apartments that went up in my residential neighborhood - immediately dumping thousands of cars onto streets which aren't able to handle the extra traffic. :roll eyes:

It is almost always necessary to get zoning approval for major construction projects to ensure that the streets, power lines, water supply, etc are able to handle it.

Quote:

Maybe there are height restrictions. Maybe the city would only approve x number of offices due to traffic concerns. Maybe the substructure isn't sufficient for a taller structure. Maybe earthquake rules won't allow it due to the glass construction. I don't know the reason, but I suspect that the expensive architects that Apple hired considered expansion options.

It always amazes me how anonymous teenagers on sites like this know more than multimillion dollar architect firms.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #37 of 125
But why the glass walls? Aren't they afraid Google will have a self driving car drive loops around campus and point a Google Earth satellite in there?

On my list to visit next time I'm in Cali.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #38 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

The church!

You said it. The Cathedral of St. Jobs the Redeemer Innovator.
post #39 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

But why the glass walls? Aren't they afraid Google will have a self driving car drive loops around campus and point a Google Earth satellite in there?

On my list to visit next time I'm in Cali.

Why do you think they're literally planting entire forest around this thing?

You've heard the expression "Can't see the forest through the trees"? This will be "You can't see the apple through the orchard!
post #40 of 125
The 1000 seat auditorium looks way too small for WWDC. On the floor plans it is circular and it has floors underground also, there is a lobby, exhibition area and also a theater. There is a tunnel connecting to it from the main building. It is 100,000 square feet but I think that is still too small for the 5000 people that come to Apple's World Wide Developers Conference.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › City of Cupertino posts further details on Apple mega-campus