or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iPhone 5 parts suggest Apple will launch white, black models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported iPhone 5 parts suggest Apple will launch white, black models

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
With its white paint woes of the iPhone 4 addressed, Apple may be prepared to offer both a white and black iPhone 5 at launch, new handset components suggest.

Pictures claimed to be of the headphone jacks for Apple's fifth-generation iPhone were shared Tuesday by MacPost (via MacRumors). They show the components available in both black and white.

The parts suggest that Apple is preparing to have both a black and white model of the so-called "iPhone 5" when it launches as is expected later this year.

The component pictures from "Truesupplier" show a number of other parts claimed to be from the next-generation iPhone, including ribbons and other components.

Apple originally intended to launch a white version of the iPhone 4 alongside the black model in 2010. But issues with paint mixtures led to multiple delays, and the white variant didn't go on sale until this spring.

Pictures of supposed iPhone 5 components continue to trickle in as Apple is believed to be ramping up for mass-production of the next-generation handset. Earlier this month, an alleged iPhone 5 proximity sensor was displayed on an importer site, showing subtle differences from the same iPhone 4 component.



And third-party cases that have proliferated in China have suggested the next iPhone will sport a newly designed exterior. They show a device with curved sides and a flat back, different from the squared off design of the iPhone 4.

iPhone-related rumors this year have been extremely varied, with some claims that the next iPhone will be a minor upgrade to the iPhone 4, while others have suggested it could be a significant revision with a new design and thinner form factor. There have also been conflicting reports on the device's launch, with some expecting the device to debut in September, and others expecting the new hardware to go on sale in October.
post #2 of 24
This goes in the category of "duh".
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With its white paint woes of the iPhone 4 addressed, Apple may be prepared to offer both a white and black iPhone 5 at launch, new handset components suggest. ...The component pictures from "Truesupplier" show a number of other parts claimed to be from the next-generation iPhone, including ribbons and other components. ....

Actually, these parts that start to appear in this part of the iPhone's manufacturing cycle are *not* "from the next-generation iPhone" at all.

They happen because manufacturers get the specs and create facsimiles of what that part will *probably* look like. Then when the iPhone is actually manufactured, they re-issue another part that's *exactly* what the part should look like. The very fact that no one actually needs these parts at the moment tells you what they are actually for. They are for advertising purposes (for instance this story), and for selling to Apple's competitors and followers for intelligence purposes.

I find these two to be quite odd in that if we believe they are accurate, the new iPhones will have a coloured ring around the headphone jack. If you look at the current iPhone and imagine a white or black ring around the jack, it seems like a very ugly and strange way to go.

The question is whether that part of the part is inaccurate, or whether it suggests that these parts actually go on a differently designed iPhone or iPod touch without the steel antenna band. It seems dubious to me that they would drop the antenna band from the design.
post #4 of 24
Wow. If nothing else, I think we can all agree that Apple's doing a good job of keeping this one pretty well under wraps. Here we are in August, and all we've got work with are some headphone jacks and some possible case specs.

A banner reading, "Gizmodo. Never again." is probably hanging in each Apple office.
post #5 of 24
Man, it must be a slow news day. Breaking the news that the iphone 5 will come in Black AND white? What a scoop!......NOT! They ALREADY do come in B&W models. Whats the big surprise? LOL.

Thats ALMOST as bad as saying, the iphone 5....will....have....a...SCREEN! Whoa! Really? No fooling? A screen? Wow!

Lol.

Wake me when something exciting happens.
post #6 of 24
Do we still buy the 'white paint myth'? I'm pretty sure that story was just Apple's excuse so that they could delay it's launch to coincide till when the iPhone 5 should have launched. At the last minute they realised it would be a handy sales 'gimmick' to extend sales of the iPhone 4 longer than they had originally planned. And I expect the iPhone 5 delay was due to the 'last minute' change of case design thanks to the antenna gate fiasco.


That's my take on things anyway.
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Do we still buy the 'white paint myth'? I'm pretty sure that story was just Apple's excuse so that they could delay it's launch to when the iPhone 5 should have launched. It was just a 'gimmick' to extend sales of the iPhone 4 longer than they originally had planned. And I expect the iPhone 5 delay was due to the 'last minute' change of case design thanks to the antenna gate fiasco.


That's my take on things anyway.

If that was the case then why announce the white iPhone at all? Why keep the white iPhone "Coming Soon" info on the website with images for all those months?

The only reasonable answer is they did have production issues with the white iPhone either in thickness, colour and/or durability.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If that was the case then why announce the white iPhone at all? Why keep the white iPhone "Coming Soon" info on the website with images for all those months?

The only reasonable answer is they did have production issues with the white iPhone either in thickness, colour and/or durability.

Well, I don't really buy it. It seems such a trivial problem. Which was solved at a suspiciously perfect time (in terms of extending iPhone 4 sales).
I do not think "Coming Soon" info on the website makes any difference to my above theory. The White iPhone was most definitely originally planned to launch on or soon after the iPhone 4. However as antenna gate blew up, things changed, the white iPhone could serve another purpose. The iPhone 5 probably was never meant to have a case redesign, just a speed improvement similar to the 3G/3Gs upgrade. There would have been a period of uncertainty, timeframe wise, as to how long the changes would take to implement, which is why the white iPhone was just placed into 'coming soon' mode until a new roadmap formed.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Well, I don't really buy it. It seems such a trivial problem. Which was solved at a suspiciously perfect time (in terms of extending iPhone 4 sales).
I do not think "Coming Soon" info on the website makes any difference to my above theory. The White iPhone was most definitely originally planned to launch on or soon after the iPhone 4. However as antenna gate blew up, things changed, the white iPhone could serve another purpose.

Releasing the white iPhone when "antenna gate" was in the media would have helped kill that foolish notion that the iPhone 4 was defective, not made the antenna issue more prominent.

So tell me, if they planned to not release the white iPhone until 2011 then why did they advertise it in 2010 when they announced the iPhone 4? Promising something you can't deliver isn't only something Apple shies away from but is also creeping close to the Osborne Effect by preventing some from buying your product in the now in hopes of something better in the later. It makes absolutely no business sense as it ends up losing customers.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Releasing the white iPhone when "antenna gate" was in the media would have helped kill that foolish notion that the iPhone 4 was defective, not made the antenna issue more prominent.

I don't see how releasing another flavour of 'defective' design would help quell media sentiment at the time.
post #11 of 24
So this rumor is that Apple will release the new iPhone in the same color models that that current iPhone comes in?
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So tell me, if they planned to not release the white iPhone until 2011 then why did they advertise it in 2010 when they announced the iPhone 4?

I think my above response answers this: "The White iPhone was originally planned to launch on or soon after the iPhone 4. However as antenna gate blew up, things changed, the white iPhone could serve another purpose.The iPhone 5 was probably never meant to have a case redesign, just a speed improvement similar to the 3G/3Gs upgrade. There would have been a period of uncertainty, timeframe wise, as to how long the changes would take to implement, which is why the white iPhone was placed into 'coming soon' mode until a new roadmap formed."
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I don's see how releasing another flavour of 'defective' design would help quell media sentiment at the time.

1) Business 101. An extreme example can be seen by looking at companies that do nothing but change their company or their product's name once it's been slighted to a devestating end. TW bigger question is why don't you think a new product from Apple wouldn't get any media attention, especially when you already think its delay was a planned conspiracy?

2) Apple, carriers, reviewers and customers proved that. They also sold the device for 15 months instead of their average 12 months. The white iPhone and Verizon iPhone both have the external antenna, and I'll be very surprised if the 5th gen. iPhone doesn't have an external antenna. So much for it being defective...

3) Can you prove the camera flash was not an issue with the white iPhone?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Business 101. An extreme example can be seen by looking at companies that do nothing but change their company or their product's name once it's been slighted to a devestating end. TW bigger question is why don't you think a new product from Apple wouldn't get any media attention, especially when you already think its delay was a planned conspiracy?

I don't really get your point. Was that double negative planned? Is it really necessary to stoop to describing my observation as a conspiracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Apple, carriers, reviewers and customers proved that. They also sold the device for 15 months instead of their average 12 months. The white iPhone and Verizon iPhone both have the external antenna, and I'll be very surprised if the 5th gen. iPhone doesn't have an external antenna. So much for it being defective...

Hmm you seem to be doing the old strawman on this conversation. Here you are insinuating that I considered the iPhone 4 to be physically defective when I do not hence why the word 'defective' was in single quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) Can you prove the camera flash was not an issue with the white iPhone?

Can you prove that it was?

I can't prove anything.. yet. Though the future is often kind to me with discussions of this nature.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I don't really get your point.

Hmm you seem to be doing the old strawman on this conversation.

Can you prove that it was?

I can't prove anything.. yet. Though the future is often kind to me in discussions of this nature.

It's your responsibility to prove a complex and pointless conspiracy was at play when simpler more logical answers are available.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Can you prove that it was?

Occam's Razor.

Evidence that there was a problem with the white iPhone production
*Apple Announced it with the iPhone 4 introduction--Apple rarely plays the vaporware game.
*Apple had to backtrack embarrassingly and cancel placed orders in some situations.
*Apple continued for quite some time to say "wait for it, it is coming soon," leading some people to hold money in their pockets instead of purchasing.
*2 reasonably credible issues were put forward--paint mixture and light bleed from the flash.

Evidence to support that Apple held the white iPhone in it's pocket for a year to boost sales a year later:
*Apple was not releasing a new iPhone model in the spring like it had the previous 3 years and the white iPhone helped keep sales from flagging.
*It makes a better conspiracy theory...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Occam's Razor.

Occam's Razor! Like that EVER proved anything.The only thing simple about Occam's Razor are those who use it.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's your responsibility to prove a complex and pointless conspiracy was at play when simpler more logical answers are available.

"My responsibility" ha, I have a pretty good reputation in the real world for making decisions based on intuition and logic rather than on currently available 'facts'. Second guessing without proof is precisely what I do, and do well.

Solipsism: I enjoy your posts, I mostly agree with them, they are based on relatively precise, currently available 'facts' and marketing. But reading between the lines is definitely not your forte.

I'm not saying for one second that my theory (lets not be childish and use the C word) is true, I merely suspect it to be true.

Maybe one day proof will emerge that I am correct. Till then, goodbye.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

"My responsibility" ha, I have a pretty good reputation in the real world for making decisions based on intuition and logic rather than on currently available 'facts'. Second guessing without proof is precisely what I do, and do well.

I'm not saying for one second that my theory (lets not be childish and use the C word) is true, I merely suspect it to be true.

Maybe one day proof will emerge that I am correct. Till then, goodbye.

1) Yes, it's your responsibility if you wish your words to be taken seriously.

2) It's not a theory, it's a hypothesis.

3) Part of creating a feasible hypothesis is arguing as to why the other options aren't as likely or even possible. You've failed to do that. Your argument sounds like you simply don't want the less fantastical arguments to be true so you're going to ignore them. That's neither academic nor scientific.

4) You might be found to be correct one day but that doesn't mean you've made a viable argument. Case in point, the concept spherical Earth dates back to at least the Greeks in the 6th century BCE, but it wasn't until later when Hellenistic astronomy was able to prove the concept on some level. Another spherical case, Carl Linnaeus, the creator of biological classification still used today, felt that God's created the first humans with spherical skulls and he found the most spherical skulls in the Caucasus Mountains, thus that was proof that God's most pure creation was the from there and was the "white" man.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 24
I'm ordering my iPhone 5 with a white headphone jack!
post #21 of 24
@monstrosity - Thanks for the insight, Mr. Fletcher...
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Yes, it's your responsibility if you wish your words to be taken seriously.


...


4) You might be found to be correct one day but that doesn't mean you've made a viable argument. Case in point, the concept spherical Earth dates back to at least the Greeks in the 6th century BCE, but it wasn't until later when Hellenistic astronomy was able to prove the concept on some level. Another spherical case, Carl Linnaeus, the creator of biological classification still used today, felt that God's created the first humans with spherical skulls and he found the most spherical skulls in the Caucasus Mountains, thus that was proof that God's most pure creation was the from there and was the "white" man.


I couldn't give a crap if my words are taken seriously by you or anyone on this board. I could add evidence to support my argument but that would take time which I simply don't have as I'm off to Hawaii tomorrow paid for by the proceeds of intuition.
post #23 of 24
Jeepers, this thread went downhill quickly.

Solip, I'm not sure it's worth your time engaging with silly conspiracy theories like this.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #24 of 24
I wonder what would have happened if apple would have sent an internal part that was blue, would people then start going on about how it is a sign that they will be doing a December release or something?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iPhone 5 parts suggest Apple will launch white, black models