or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building

Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building

post #1 of 81
Apple's plans for a massive new campus in Cupertino, Calif., call for a giant structure that's larger than the U.S. Pentagon and New York City's fabled Empire State Building.

The iPhone maker's proposed facility, dubbed a "spaceship" because of its circular design, was put to scale on Tuesday by Mac Observer. The details were made available last week, when the City of Cupertino provided more information about Apple's 2.8 million square-foot circular office building.

The diameter of Apple's new campus would be 1,615 feet, which would span farther than the Pentagon's diameter of 1,566 feet. The distance across the massive circle is also greater than the height of the Empire State Building, at 1,250 feet.

In a comparison graphic, other objects were laid over the plans for Apple's campus to provide perspective. It shows the facility with a cruise ship, U.S. nuclear aircraft carrier, a blimp, a World War II battleship, and a supertanker laid over them.

Apple's spaceship campus stretches farther across in than all of those objects. Longest object included in the illustration is a supertanker; the "Seawise Giant" tanker was the longest ship ever built, at 1,504 feet.

The new office, dubbed "Apple Campus 2," would comprise about 2.8 million square feet, and would include an auditorium that would hold 1,000 people, and new research facilities including 300,000 square feet. The facility would be able to support up to 13,000 employees.

The plans were first revealed by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs himself in June, when he made an appearance at a Cupertino City Council meeting to pitch the project. He described the main office building as looking "a little like a spaceship landed."

Though formal approval must still be obtained, Cupertino Mayor Gilbert Wong has publicly said there is "no chance" that the council would not approve the structure. Neighboring cities have also given positive responses on the proposed project.

Apple would build its mega-campus on a 150-acre property the company already owns in Cupertino. The land was partially acquired from rival device maker Hewlett-Packard, who vacated its 98-acre campus in the summer of 2010.

If all goes according to plan, Apple hopes to open its new campus in 2015. Until then, the company is said to have leased 373,000 square feet of office space in Cupertino to house 1,300 workers.
post #2 of 81
Imagine how much bigger this would have been if Apple had been able to swing buying those apartments...

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 81
Hey!! I too want to work at the 300,000 square feet research facility.
bb
bb
post #4 of 81
It reminds more of a Stargate than a spaceship. Will a wormhole form in the center to take us to other planets? Knowing how Steve likes to Think Different it probably would.
post #5 of 81
It may be wider in diameter than the Pentagon, but I'm not sure that you could accurately describe it as larger... given that the Pentagon houses 6.5 million square feet... almost 2.5 times the size of Apple Campus 2.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #6 of 81
It looks like Steve Jobs could leap over it in a single bound.
post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

It may be wider in diameter than the Pentagon, but I'm not sure that you could accurately describe it as larger... given that the Pentagon houses 6.5 million square feet... almost 2.5 times the size of Apple Campus 2.

I was just going to post that same info. But it is larger in diameter, even though it has less volume.
post #8 of 81
Is there any information about the cost of this structure?
And will it actually look that romantic?

post #9 of 81
Quote:

Even the Empire State Building, at 2,768,591 square feet, is only 1.8% smaller than the new Apple campus.
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Yea it comes with a runner girl and a girl is short skirt. That's why they have the glass walls. Though I am not sure how that impacts productivity.

Also, how the hell do you get around that super long ship. Do they have sideways elevators? Or are there car lanes on the ship. It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

Or better yet, will there be segue ways in the apple campus? Or better yet, moving walkways. That would be really pro. The iWalk.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #11 of 81
It is kind of bland and unexciting. My bet is that they wanted both literally and figuratively a "low=profile" building that did not aggressively disrupt the landscape.

The romantic drawings emphasize the dramatic skies and pretty trees and grasslands, because the building itself is certainly nothing to write home about, although the central park could be nice for workers--no one will be very far from some windows.

Nonetheless, it is kind of disappointing---a lost opportunity. I am wondering if in thirty years it will look as plain and deadly as Saarinen's 50s design for the huge new GM headquarters, which was done in the "correct" simplified modern style that supposedly expressed progressive industrialism. But it now looks boring, plain and uninviting in its relentless, unadorned regularity and minimalism.

(My guess is that it's being precisely, if slightly smaller, than the Pentagon was no accident.)
post #12 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Hey!! I too want to work at the 300,000 square feet research facility.

Apple prefers to call it Steve Wonka's Magic Factory.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post

(My guess is that it's being precisely, if slightly smaller, than the Pentagon was no accident.)

In what sense is it slightly smaller than the Pentagon??
post #14 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

They should of used the runner woman from the 1984 commercial
post #15 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Also, how the hell do you get around that super long ship. Do they have sideways elevators? Or are there car lanes on the ship. It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

SERIOUSLY. Do any of you have any idea what the second dimension is? Even Flatworlders would laugh at your shortsightedness.

post #16 of 81
The image showing the Pentagon, the Empire StateBuilding, etc is from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pentagon#Layout
post #17 of 81
I hear that tremors makes it hover. Earthquake protection Apple style.
post #18 of 81
Quote:

In what sense is it slightly smaller than the Pentagon??

I think the other person meant slightly LARGER than the Pentagon (in diameter).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #19 of 81
I think that Apple is trying to bring humanity into this 1970's view of a futuristic utopia. Which is awesome.
post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Imagine how much bigger this would have been if Apple had been able to swing buying those apartments...

I think what eventually will happen is the owner of those apartments will sell after the Apple HQ is built for top dollar back to Apple. I'd do the exact same thing. Even if Apple doesn't want to buy, the apartment owner will own some of the most desirable housing in the entire area.

If Apple does eventually buy that complex, they could always demolish it and build something there.

It reminds me of the condo owners in San Francisco that purchased right by the old Hwy 280 in the 80's near the old China Basin area. They were (relatively) dirt cheap and no one wanted to live there with a double-decker 20-feet outside their window and no sunlight. The 1989 earthquake comes, they remove the freeway, and within a matter of months those condos quadrupled in price.

That apartment owner was smart to not sell.

Besides, until they actually break ground, a lot of things can happen between now and then!
post #21 of 81
What's the distance around this thing?
post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think what eventually will happen is the owner of those apartments will sell after the Apple HQ is built for top dollar back to Apple. I'd do the exact same thing. Even if Apple doesn't want to buy, the apartment owner will own some of the most desirable housing in the entire area.

If Apple does eventually buy that complex, they could always demolish it and build something there.

It reminds me of the condo owners in San Francisco that purchased right by the old Hwy 280 in the 80's near the old China Basin area. They were (relatively) dirt cheap and no one wanted to live there with a double-decker 20-feet outside their window and no sunlight. The 1989 earthquake comes, they remove the freeway, and within a matter of months those condos quadrupled in price.

That apartment owner was smart to not sell.

Besides, until they actually break ground, a lot of things can happen between now and then!

Surely the apartment owner has maximum leverage over Apple prior to the start of construction (or final planning approval). Once the circular building is built that additional land is worth significantly less in terms of development appeal because you can only use it at that point to add some ancillary buildings/car parks etc that. Acquiring it now on the other hand allows you to either build a larger spaceship, or position the spaceship more centrally on the parcel etc.
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I hear that tremors makes it hover. Earthquake protection Apple style.

Is this going to be built on the fault line or the fill just south of San Mateo? That land is going to go someday. The big one might be the only thing that can stop Apple from worldwide dominance. (OK everyone, were moving to South Carolina.)
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

2 x pi x r
post #25 of 81
Quote:

It is kind of bland and unexciting. My bet is that they wanted both literally and figuratively a "low=profile" building that did not aggressively disrupt the landscape.

The romantic drawings emphasize the dramatic skies and pretty trees and grasslands, because the building itself is certainly nothing to write home about, although the central park could be nice for workers--no one will be very far from some windows.

Nonetheless, it is kind of disappointing---a lost opportunity. I am wondering if in thirty years it will look as plain and deadly as Saarinen's 50s design for the huge new GM headquarters, which was done in the "correct" simplified modern style that supposedly expressed progressive industrialism. But it now looks boring, plain and uninviting in its relentless, unadorned regularity and minimalism.

You don't understand much about Architecture at all do you?

Quote:

.. and your tin foil hat is slightly askew.
post #26 of 81
Is it just me or does it seem like an old story that companies tend to build their big "statement" edifices just before they peak? I am thinking of Enron among others. One of the things I always admired about Apple was that they became the most valuable company in the world while basically living in repurposed structures. Kind of like the rich guy who rents a modest apartment as opposed to the nouveau riche guy who builds a palace with polychromed classical statuary all over the place.

Guess I'm just paranoid. After years of having an underdog mentality vis-a-vis Apple, I am having trouble adapting to success.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

The building's diameter is nearly one mile. Interoffice parcels are proposed to be delivered by the gal from the 1984 commercial, though she probably doesn't have the same spring in her step anymore. Catapults in the courtyard have not been ruled out.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

2 x pi x r

It's not actually that simple since the hallways are inside the building and, thus, would have a slightly smaller radius. I suppose if we know the inner radius and outer radius, we could guestimate based on a point in between.
post #29 of 81
Has it can been seen on the floor plan the building has an actual radius of 760 feet, 1520 feet diameter. As such the building has actually a smaller diameter than the Pentagon.
The perimeter is bigger though. 4775 feet vs. Pentagons 4605.
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is it just me or does it seem like an old story that companies tend to build their big "statement" edifices just before they peak? I am thinking of Enron among others. One of the things I always admired about Apple was that they became the most valuable company in the world while basically living in repurposed structures. Kind of like the rich guy who rents a modest apartment as opposed to the nouveau riche guy who builds a palace with polychromed classical statuary all over the place.

Guess I'm just paranoid. After years of having an underdog mentality vis-a-vis Apple, I am having trouble adapting to success.

Add PanAm to your list. They crushed Penn Station for an abysmal building which also succeeded in destroying one of New York's greatest urban vistas. All for the purpose of having their corporate name displayed in neon high above the city. A lot of good that did them, in the end.

From the rendering of the Apple HQ, the statement is hardly so bold though. The size of the building won't read from the ground, and actually neither will the plan. That's the really odd thing about this building -- the plan catches the eye, but this will only be seen by birds and people in airplanes. Hard to know exactly what they are going for.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

They crushed Penn Station for an abysmal building .....

Penn or Grand Central?

I ask because I thought that Penn Station was near MSG. Perhaps it was moved there because of Pan Am? If so, that would be an interesting bit of history....
post #32 of 81
Radius? Diameter? I think the term you guys are searching for is circumference -- the distance around the circle.
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Penn or Grand Central?

I ask because I thought that Penn Station was near MSG. Perhaps it was moved there because of Pan Am? If so, that would be an interesting bit of history....

:sigh: No knowledge of history, and not even an ability to Google it?

The old Penn Station was a far greater edifice than the overrated Grand Central. The Javitz Center owes a lot to that design.
post #34 of 81
A key element of the circle would be the center and should have some significance. I wonder what might be at the radius point.
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

:sigh: No knowledge of history, and not even an ability to Google it?

The old Penn Station was a far greater edifice than the overrated Grand Central. The Javitz Center owes a lot to that design.

... and the old grand Penn was demolished and MSG was built in its spot.

The Pan Am Building (now Met Life) is behind Grand Central.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

But Jobs is building a very low-key, understated structure. There's no reason for Apple to exist in cramped quarters, and Jobs apparently does not require a monument to his ego. (See by way of contrast: Trump Towers.)
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

Since when does a circle have an end? I assume you mean directly opposite from wherever you are.

But yes, you're right: how does one navigate longest/longer distances? Will there be golf carts/electric vans? Otherwise pity the unlucky employee who's unfortunate enough to be at the furthest point from the Commissary. More to the point, given his health, how will Jobs navigate around?
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lales View Post

More to the point, given his health, how will Jobs navigate around?

Chariot
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #39 of 81
Wow that looks cool. I know the images are highly idealized, but they're also very tasteful. The building is clean, not overbearing, and beautiful. How very Apple...

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #40 of 81
Apple is all about user experience. And in this case, the users are Apple employees. Yeah, they could make a monstrous ego tower if they wanted, but instead they're attempting to make a building that can both house a large number of people and still have a human scale.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building