or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building

Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building - Page 2

post #41 of 81
which atrium holds the stupid huge pile of cash for swimming in?
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

2 x pi x r

Your other respondent really didn't get it did they.

I'd say that formula is closer than most
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

I think that Apple is trying to bring humanity into this 1970's view of a futuristic utopia. Which is awesome.

iTopia?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Apple is all about user experience. And in this case, the users are Apple employees. Yeah, they could make a monstrous ego tower if they wanted, but instead they're attempting to make a building that can both house a large number of people and still have a human scale.

A giant tower like the Eye of Sauron but with a glowing Apple symbol?
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

But Jobs is building a very low-key, understated structure. There's no reason for Apple to exist in cramped quarters, and Jobs apparently does not require a monument to his ego. (See by way of contrast: Trump Towers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Add PanAm to your list. They crushed Penn Station for an abysmal building which also succeeded in destroying one of New York's greatest urban vistas. All for the purpose of having their corporate name displayed in neon high above the city. A lot of good that did them, in the end.

From the rendering of the Apple HQ, the statement is hardly so bold though. The size of the building won't read from the ground, and actually neither will the plan. That's the really odd thing about this building -- the plan catches the eye, but this will only be seen by birds and people in airplanes. Hard to know exactly what they are going for.

I agree. I didn't intend to compare this building to other HQs in terms of quality. I like it very much. I just worry that Steve's legendary focus may be somewhat diverted and diluted by the attention and energy I am sure he will direct toward the creation of his signature building.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A giant tower like the Eye of Sauron but with a glowing Apple symbol?

One phone to rule them all, one phone to find them (illegal location services tracking joke). One phone to bring them all and to the contracts bind them.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One phone to rule them all, one phone to find them (illegal location services tracking joke). One phone to bring them all and to the contracts bind them.

Cool pic.

It's a tough job, but after Gates' and Microsoft's retirement someone had to do it.
post #48 of 81
Quote:

From the rendering of the Apple HQ, the statement is hardly so bold though. The size of the building won't read from the ground, and actually neither will the plan. That's the really odd thing about this building -- the plan catches the eye, but this will only be seen by birds and people in airplanes. Hard to know exactly what they are going for.

"Hard to know . . . "? Easy to see the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Apple is all about user experience. And in this case, the users are Apple employees. Yeah, they could make a monstrous ego tower if they wanted, but instead they're attempting to make a building that can both house a large number of people and still have a human scale.

It is about human scale, and fitting into nature. No right angles, not much building visible from any point of view, a garden both outside and inside the ring. Simple, tasteful, and certain to be an enduring statement of the company's worldview.
post #49 of 81
Quote:

iTopia?

Hah! Where do I sign up?
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Cool pic.

It's a tough job, but after Gates' and Microsoft's retirement someone had to do it.

Steve Ballmer is stewing -->. "People used to be afraid of Microsoft. I can be cool. Why won't they take me seriously???"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 81
If the scale shown on the plan view of the building is to be believed, the building is 500m in diameter and what appears to be the central corridor is 450m in diameter.

Go here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

and type circumference of a circle 450 m in diameter and the circumference comes out at 1,414 m or 0.878 miles.

In area, the interior open space is equivalent to 2.1 times the area of the base of the Great Pyramid in Egypt or 16 FIFA sanctioned international soccer pitches. Plenty of room for sporting arenas of all sorts.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #52 of 81
[QUOTE=IQatEdo;1922544]If the scale shown on the plan view of the building is to be believed, the building is 500m in diameter and what appears to be the central corridor is 450m in diameter.

Go here:

and type circumference of a circle 450 m in diameter and the circumference comes out at 1,414 m or 0.878 miles.
[...]/QUOTE]

Or you could, say, just multiply the diameter of 1615' given in the fourth sentence of the original post by Pi.
Maybe you could even estimate it without a calculator if multiplying by 3 isn't too hard for you...
post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

2 x pi x r

Twice as big as Steve Job's other firm?
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippysc View Post

Twice as big as Steve Job's other firm?

Very good

(Other ex-firm)
post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Hey!! I too want to work at the 300,000 square feet research facility.

(We assume you meant 3,000,000 sq. ft. as round-off size
for the Apple headquarters footprint.)

For your edification, just go over to NASA Ames Research Center
next door, which is about that size for its extant buildings.
Now Google HQ adds 1.0-1.2 mega square feet to that, and although
re-zoning within the ARC master plan makes their original 2.5-3M sq. ft.
variable you might enjoy an R&D sandbox like that to play in!

--retiarius

P.S. When I interviewed with sjobs to jump from NASA Ames
to NeXT many moons ago I balked, but in hindsight it
may have worked out ... (as it turned out my investment
in AAPL while working elsewhere paid more than my
engineering salary during the equivalent interval)
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Penn or Grand Central?

I ask because I thought that Penn Station was near MSG. Perhaps it was moved there because of Pan Am? If so, that would be an interesting bit of history....

Sorry, I have mixed up two abominations. The original Penn Station was demolished in the early 1960s to make way for the new Madison Square Gardens (another horrid building). The station platforms remained underneath. The PanAm building destroyed one of the city's best vista, on Park Avenue, nearby and right around the same time.

Grand Central was spared a similar fate in large part because New Yorkers were so horrified by having lost Penn Central.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"Hard to know . . . "? Easy to see the answer:

It is about human scale, and fitting into nature. No right angles, not much building visible from any point of view, a garden both outside and inside the ring. Simple, tasteful, and certain to be an enduring statement of the company's worldview.

I get the perspective trick, but I'm not convinced this is the reason for adhering to this particular plan, as there are other ways of achieving the same affect.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't understand much about Architecture at all do you?

He doesn't understand about Art much either.
post #59 of 81
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

If the scale shown on the plan view of the building is to be believed, the building is 500m in diameter and what appears to be the central corridor is 450m in diameter.

Go here:

As other people have hinted, it's probably not going to be 0.878 miles to the most distant part as your post's title suggests. It doesn't look like the building is broken up where you can't pass certain areas, at least from the available floor plan. The farthest part of the building from any other point in the building is about half the circumference away if you must walk the corridors. Any farther and you just walk the other direction. Or go to the ground level and cross the center green space (sorry, the proper term escapes me right now).
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As other people have hinted, it's probably not going to be 0.878 miles to the most distant part as your post's title suggests. It doesn't look like the building is broken up where you can't pass certain areas, at least from the available floor plan. The farthest part of the building from any other point in the building is about half the circumference away if you must walk the corridors. Any farther and you just walk the other direction. Or go to the ground level and cross the center green space (sorry, the proper term escapes me right now).

Wasn't suggesting anything in particular. The corridor appears to be about 0.9 miles long. Someone was asking what the circumference would be.
post #62 of 81
I don't see any parking in the renders. It would be interesting if they were able to put the parking underneath the structure to maintain the overall park-like look of the campus. When I was at the Pixar campus many years ago I was very impressed with the architecture. I was told that Steve Jobs had a lot of control over the technology and appearance behind the construction of the Pixar Campus. The building actually sits inside of a reinforced concrete tub that still holds it at ground level. The tub is roughly 4 feet deep and is approximately 12 feet wider and longer than the building itself. The building piers are massive steel posts and sit on top of huge ball bearings that allow the building move during tremors. The outer perimeter of the building has an enormous rubber belt around it (about 6ft. wide) that comes in contact with the perimeter of the reinforced concrete tub. Basically the building does sort of "hover" inside of this tub. I'd assume a similar technology would be used on this new campus. I'd like to see them set another example by adding a few wind turbines and or solar to the entire roof of the building (not covering the skylights of course. Apple has always strived to be green and they could really shine with this new structure.
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Wasn't suggesting anything in particular. The corridor appears to be about 0.9 miles long. Someone was asking what the circumference would be.

OK, maybe I assumed too much from your post title: "Walk the walk - of nearly a mile"
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, maybe I assumed too much from your post title: "Walk the walk - of nearly a mile"

Easily done.

All the best.
post #65 of 81
Quote:

Add PanAm to your list. They crushed Penn Station for an abysmal building which also succeeded in destroying one of New York's greatest urban vistas. All for the purpose of having their corporate name displayed in neon high above the city. A lot of good that did them, in the end.

No they didn't. Penn Station was destroyed to build Madison Square Garden. The PanAm building is adjacent to the rear of Grand Central Terminal, but the GCT still exists in all its glory.
post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

I don't see any parking in the renders. It would be interesting if they were able to put the parking underneath the structure to maintain the overall park-like look of the campus. When I was at the Pixar campus many years ago I was very impressed with the architecture. I was told that Steve Jobs had a lot of control over the technology and appearance behind the construction of the Pixar Campus. The building actually sits inside of a reinforced concrete tub that still holds it at ground level. The tub is roughly 4 feet deep and is approximately 12 feet wider and longer than the building itself. The building piers are massive steel posts and sit on top of huge ball bearings that allow the building move during tremors. The outer perimeter of the building has an enormous rubber belt around it (about 6ft. wide) that comes in contact with the perimeter of the reinforced concrete tub. Basically the building does sort of "hover" inside of this tub. I'd assume a similar technology would be used on this new campus. I'd like to see them set another example by adding a few wind turbines and or solar to the entire roof of the building (not covering the skylights of course. Apple has always strived to be green and they could really shine with this new structure.

There's parking under the round structure and there's also a separate 3-story parking structure. See the previous post from a few days ago that includes a PDF with all the details.
post #67 of 81
Being at a university where our 1500 seat theater is too small, I would recommend that they look at a 2500 seat theater with master acoustics and all. In addition to the dog and pony shows, they could use it for some real theater and music concerts. They will rue the day they didn't make it bigger.
post #68 of 81
Well, of course it is larger than the Pentagon. What else is Apple going to do with the $80 Billion it has hoarded off the backs of slave labor in China? You might think Apple could bring some production back to the US, to Cupertino and give some of that enormous stash to US workers. But, alas, Apple and Steve Jobs ("Slave Jobs" as we call him here in the Heartland) has succumbed to extraordinary greed, like all US CEO's these days.
post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceedits View Post

Blah blah crap that isn't true blah blah look at me, I pretend not to buy stuff from China, blah blah more crap along the same vein blah blah.

I humbly disagree.

post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I humbly disagree.

I vehemently disagree with Bruceedits' asinine statement. If Apple was building their new HQ outside the US that would be a different story. Hell, Apple is one of the few call centers that still route you to a US rep for pretty much all products and services.
post #71 of 81
Since the campus nickname is a spaceship, here's a more suitable structure comparison...

post #72 of 81
Quote:

I vehemently disagree with Bruceedits' asinine statement. If Apple was building their new HQ outside the US that would be a different story. Hell, Apple is one of the few call centers that still route you to a US rep for pretty much all products and services.

Heck, when I called once to talk about my Mac Pro, I was routed to the British call center for whatever reason! That's the kind of outsourcing I can get behind: classier accents!

His definitely wasn't Cockney, but it swung a little that way.

post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Also, how the hell do you get around that super long ship. Do they have sideways elevators? Or are there car lanes on the ship. It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

Or better yet, will there be segue ways in the apple campus? Or better yet, moving walkways. That would be really pro. The iWalk.

Transporter technology. You KNOW they have it!
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Since the campus nickname is a spaceship, here's a more suitable structure comparison...

Hahahaha!! LOVE IT!!!

At first glance, I thought, that scale can't be right. But then I remembered that this iteration of the Enterprise was 700 meters long, so that looks about right.
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by drow View Post

which atrium holds the stupid huge pile of cash for swimming in?

Super rough estimate suggests that if you had a floor to top-of-building (est. 16 m) atrium, you'd need about 75,000 square feet to hold Apple's $80 billion (in singles).*

* I was never good at math, so I invite any math nerds to correct me on this.
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yea it comes with a runner girl and a girl is short skirt. That's why they have the glass walls. Though I am not sure how that impacts productivity.

Also, how the hell do you get around that super long ship. Do they have sideways elevators? Or are there car lanes on the ship. It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

Or better yet, will there be segue ways in the apple campus? Or better yet, moving walkways. That would be really pro. The iWalk.

It would suck if they employee the average American. When I stayed in Japan I walked EVERYwhere and now that I am back in the U.S. it makes me laugh when people leave on strip mall and drive to the next one about 1/4 mile away...which are connected by SIDEWALKS!!!
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

No they didn't. Penn Station was destroyed to build Madison Square Garden. The PanAm building is adjacent to the rear of Grand Central Terminal, but the GCT still exists in all its glory.

Mistake on the location of Penn Station already corrected. And of course I know that Grand Central remains. I never said otherwise. The opposite in fact.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

A key element of the circle would be the center and should have some significance. I wonder what might be at the radius point.

A statue of Steve Jobs holding a WiFi antenna, of course!
post #79 of 81
Quote:

Hit a nerve, eh? I love Apple products and have been a user for 20 years. I feel that more high-paying jobs need to be here, in the US. I understand they have call centers in the US, but these are low wage jobs. I understand that Apple Store "associates" earn about $9.50/hr on average. That's better than the Chinese worker who makes about $3 a day building iPads and iPhones and lives with 30 others in a dorm room. How much cash would Apple have if they moved more production jobs to the US? Only $40 Billion?
post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceedits View Post

Hit a nerve, eh? I love Apple products and have been a user for 20 years. I feel that more high-paying jobs need to be here, in the US. I understand they have call centers in the US, but these are low wage jobs. I understand that Apple Store "associates" earn about $9.50/hr on average. That's better than the Chinese worker who makes about $3 a day building iPads and iPhones and lives with 30 others in a dorm room. How much cash would Apple have if they moved more production jobs to the US? Only $40 Billion?

You should perhaps have emphasised the word more in your post. Manufacturing will come back to the US once fully automated (or nearly fully automated) manufacture is possible and then more high paying positions will be created for those required to operate the new facilities, not for serf labour as in China.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building