or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Speculation: iPhone 4S and new iPhone Touch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speculation: iPhone 4S and new iPhone Touch?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey all, quick thought that may have popped up previously, but looking at the purported iPhone 5 cases with the curved back, it struck me that these look (a) more like an iPod Touch, and (b) less sexy than the current iPhone 4, with it's glass back.

The assumption (and persistant rumors) at the moment seem to suggest an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will be introduced by Apple, with the iPhone 5 getting the new case, and the iPhone 4S hanging around. However, there have also been rumors that Apple is investigating a low-cost iPhone option too. So, I wonder if in fact the iPhone 4S (possibly named iPhone 5) will still be the flagship device, with the current iPhone 4 body, and instead the new body will be, let's say, an "iPhone Touch" that Apple will introduce to either replace the iPod Touch, or act as a bridge between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

The "iPhone Touch" could be the low-cost option with 3GS-equivalent specs, an iPod Touch like curved aluminium back, and therefore make sense of the low cost iPhone, new iPhone body, and iPhone 4 speed bump we've been hearing about.

Thoughts?
post #2 of 10
think it would be good to see a more basic iphone that did not require a data plan but still had wifi! i would buy 4 that day! i cannot justify the $120/month for my family to have a data plan when we all have access to the internet at work/school and at home every day. we would love an iphone for calling & texting that would also perform functions of an ipod touch. the cost of the device (especially when subsidized) isnt the deal breaker, its the unnecessary data plans. many of our friends who are also parents to teenagers feel the same way and i think apple could sell tons of "dumb" iphones. its a huge part of the market that has very few good choices for phones.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luketron View Post

Hey all, quick thought that may have popped up previously, but looking at the purported iPhone 5 cases with the curved back, it struck me that these look (a) more like an iPod Touch, and (b) less sexy than the current iPhone 4, with it's glass back.

This obsession with looks is a joke. Most people end up putting their iPhones into ugly cases anyways so looks really mean very little to people. The only thing I really care about is that iPhone becomes much more of a mobile computing device than it currently is.
Quote:
The assumption (and persistant rumors) at the moment seem to suggest an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will be introduced by Apple, with the iPhone 5 getting the new case, and the iPhone 4S hanging around. However, there have also been rumors that Apple is investigating a low-cost iPhone option too. So, I wonder if in fact the iPhone 4S (possibly named iPhone 5) will still be the flagship device, with the current iPhone 4 body, and instead the new body will be, let's say, an "iPhone Touch" that Apple will introduce to either replace the iPod Touch, or act as a bridge between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

I'd go for a data free iPhone in a flash. That is as long as it supported WiFi. The reality is I'd rather have my data expenses associated with my iPad as spending money for data on that device is far more useful than on the iPhone.
Quote:
The "iPhone Touch" could be the low-cost option with 3GS-equivalent specs, an iPod Touch like curved aluminium back, and therefore make sense of the low cost iPhone, new iPhone body, and iPhone 4 speed bump we've been hearing about.

Nope the Touch needs to stay around for at least a bit longer. Probably much longer as it is now the best selling iPod out there. There is considerable value in a extremely low cost pocket computing device like the Touch.
Quote:
Thoughts?

I don't really know what Apple is up to but I do know that they won't be successful long term without having more options available. That is why I support the idea of an iPhone with no data connection what so ever.

More so Apple really needs to go aggressively after this idea of pocket computing. The Touch alone is not enough. They need to introduce new concepts and great magnify the power that one can carry around in their pocket.
post #4 of 10
The "iPhone Touch"? You gotta be kidding. There never was anything else but a touchscreen iPhone. That'd clearly be the most stupid monicker I've ever heard
Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
post #5 of 10
An iPhone is a touch device since the beginning so "iPhone Touch" sorry but no.

About an iPhone with no data connectivity besides Wi-Fi: it doesn't make sense. For several times I find my gf complaining about the lack of 3G connection on her iPod Touch. So I guess it makes more sense to offer more connectivity options than cut them off.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

An iPhone is a touch device since the beginning so "iPhone Touch" sorry but no.

About an iPhone with no data connectivity besides Wi-Fi: it doesn't make sense. For several times I find my gf complaining about the lack of 3G connection on her iPod Touch. So I guess it makes more sense to offer more connectivity options than cut them off.

agree "iphone touch" sounds stupid.
however, i have to disagree about an iphone w/ only wifi. the majority of "cell phones" sold globally are not "smart phones" that require a data plan. sure, mobil internet access at all times is/would be nice, but for most its an unnecessary feature at an equally unnecessary expense. apple would be entering into a huge (easy to dominate) portion of the phone market by assembling a basic phone that would also do everything an ipod touch does without a mobil data connection.
i think apple is crazy not to do this because most people (and parents of teens) just want their phone to talk & text and this could be a stepping stone to a full version phone for a consumer who develops the need for it as they would already be accustomed to the apple phone and most likely will have purchased apps that they could carry to their new devices.
post #7 of 10
I'm completely lost in all of the rumors. I bought an iPod Touch last year and I love it. More often than not (hotels, home, work, race tracks, some night spots, etc.), I have access to Wi-Fi, so I can do what I want, when I want... for free. And heck, who doesn't like free? But if I'd had an option for 3G connectivity, I would have plunked down a few more bucks to get that. I'll probably have to break down and retire my ancient cell phone some time next year. And since I refuse to use a malware filled Android for anything but talking, I'd go with an iPhone, I'm sure. But since my iPod Touch has all the bells & whistles that I need or want, I'd likely go with some sort of scaled down/discount iPhone if it was available. It would all come down to how many monthly pounds of flesh Verizon would demand though.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
post #8 of 10
The iPhone 5 and the 5th gen iPod touch will have 4" screens, thinner bodies that taper from largest at the top to smallest at the bottom, and larger Dock Connectors. They won't have glass backs.

That is, if you believe the people at 9to5Mac. No, not the people submitting the articles, the commenters on said articles.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #9 of 10
If so I can see that as valuable. In effect the Touch becomes a mini iPad. I can see some reason for this but proliferation of iPhone to other carriers removes one big draw. Let's face it though if you can get rid of voice and txt charges you can save considerable monies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

An iPhone is a touch device since the beginning so "iPhone Touch" sorry but no.

That name is simply a place holder that describes in part the device. Think of it as shrunken iPad.
Quote:
About an iPhone with no data connectivity besides Wi-Fi: it doesn't make sense. For several times I find my gf complaining about the lack of 3G connection on her iPod Touch. So I guess it makes more sense to offer more connectivity options than cut them off.

This is likely to be a big marketing challenge for people that don't want to pay cell phone data charges. It actually could be a smart move on Apples part, many people avoid smart phones because of that charge. If they can get such a phone into customers hands for under $100 it could be a hot seller. Finally it would be great phone for parents to buy for their teenagers as there would be little risk of bill shock from excessive data usage.
post #10 of 10
Nah. Whatever iphone versions come out, they won't replace the ipod touch. The ipod touch will see it's own upgrade this month as well. I think it may get a slight redesign as well. Maybe like the rumored iphone 5 tear drop design with the bigger screen? Or perhaps the rumored iphone 5 design is actually the ipod touch design? Lol. Who knows. But a slightly bigger screen on the ipod touch for gaming does make sense. Anyway, We will find out soon enough.

My only hope is that the ipod touch gets a MUCH better camera! 1/2 a megapixel is retarded. Sorry. I bet it gets the old iphone 4 camera with 5 megapixels....but i'd love to see it get the rumored 8 megapixel camera like the iphone 5. Not everyone needs an iphone. :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Speculation: iPhone 4S and new iPhone Touch?