or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's online store gets social links amid server troubles

Apple's online store gets social links amid server troubles

post #1 of 10
Apple added new share on Facebook and Twitter links to its online store amid server woes that caused intermittent downtime on Wednesday.

The new sharing links are located next to the "Select" button when choosing a specific system or configuration on Apple's online store. However, the Cupertino, Calif., company appears to be rolling out the feature gradually, as not all products in its store feature the links.

The Share on Twitter link opens up a Twitter window with the pre-populated name of the product and a link to the Apple online store, while the Share on Facebook link opens a Facebook window with a thumbnail of and link to the product.

As the two social services have grown, Apple has worked to integrate their offerings into its own products and website. Apple added system-wide Twitter integration to iOS 5, which arrives this fall. Leaked videos of an alleged iPhone prototype suggest that the company also looked into Facebook integration at the system level.

Early on Wednesday, Apple began experiencing trouble with the online store, bringing the site down for several hours. Later in the day, the store came back up, but service remained spotty throughout the day. It's not immediately clear whether the downtime was a result of the changes being made to the store or a separate issue.

Apple has made minor tweaks to the online store in recent months. In July, the company upgraded the Online Order Status page to "enhance the overall look, feel, and functionality for a better customer experience," according to an internal memo.

Ahead of the release of a new retail initiative in May, Apple took parts of its online store down to update its systems. Last year, Apple quietly added a "Compare Macs" option to its website.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
It's not immediately clear whether the downtime was a result of the changes being made to the store or a separate issue.

So I suppose that because of this admission, the title is just for more reads?

This is probably the first thing about which I've been annoyed in news articles here.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #3 of 10
Pretty redic if you ask me. Why the hell would I tweet that I am buying a mac. Perhaps once I have an unboxing vid ready, but just as I am buying - wtf?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #4 of 10
Not everything needs to be 'social,' Apple. Your 'social' remake of Apple Communities ruined them.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Pretty redic if you ask me. Why the hell would I tweet that I am buying a mac. Perhaps once I have an unboxing vid ready, but just as I am buying - wtf?

'Hey, look at me! I just bought a USB cable from Apple. Ain't I cool.'
post #6 of 10
I can't say I've ever thought that the barrier to tweeting needs to be lowered.

With respect to their site, I don't know what Apple really gains by having tweet/post links on their pages, it's more clutter with a dubious additional value gained.
post #7 of 10
I just don't understand why Twitter and Facebook have to be the lowest common denominator with everything these days. I can't wait for Facebook to do a MySpace.
post #8 of 10
Come on folks... there are good reasons. Seriously. Like I'm a 20 year old about to graduate college and my mom said, "pick a Mac". So I go on the store, find it and tweet her the one I like.

Or my co-worker in another city is interested in buying something and asked me for advice. "I'll FaceBook you the one I think you'll like best."

It's not something I'll do a bazillion times a year, but if it helps make one more sale per 10,000 why not?
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So I suppose that because of this admission, the title is just for more reads?

This is probably the first thing about which I've been annoyed in news articles here.

The server issue was news though ... at least to us 'important people' . I was trying to purchase MBP last night and it was impossible for about an hour. Very unlike Apple to have Apple Store Server problems so I hope it was a roll over to a new system not intrinsic issues or worse a successful DOS attack. Maybe over load from Tweet connections?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Come on folks... there are good reasons. Seriously. Like I'm a 20 year old about to graduate college and my mom said, "pick a Mac". So I go on the store, find it and tweet her the one I like.

Or my co-worker in another city is interested in buying something and asked me for advice. "I'll FaceBook you the one I think you'll like best."

It's not something I'll do a bazillion times a year, but if it helps make one more sale per 10,000 why not?

Is email for only old people again? In your email, only your Mom needs to know, I doubt anyone else following you care that you're getting an Air or whatever.

Besides: Copy URL, to to Twitter, FB, email, etc., select recipient if applicable, paste URL into box and hit "send".
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's online store gets social links amid server troubles