or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft reveals team working on Windows 8 'App Store'

Microsoft reveals team working on Windows 8 'App Store'

post #1 of 81
Microsoft on Wednesday revealed that it will follow in Apple's footsteps by building an "App Store" for the next generation of its flagship OS, codenamed Windows 8.

Windows boss Steven Sinofsky said on the company's newly-launched Building Windows 8 blog that the company has an "App Store" team. Though he neglected to specify the exact duties of the team, the reveal serves as evidence that the software giant has taken notice of Apple's successes with the App Store and the Mac App Store.

Earlier this week, the Redmond, Wash., company said it was finally ready to begin talking at length about Windows 8 on its new blog.

Rumors of a Microsoft Windows application store built into the next version of the OS have existed for some time, gaining credence when a June preview of the software showed a Store tile with the Windows logo.

CEO Steve Ballmer got the company off to a bit of a false start with its next-gen OS in May when he publicly used the name "Windows 8" for the first time, noting that the "next generation of Windows systems" would arrive next year. Microsoft subsequently retracted his statements, calling them a misstatement.

"To date, we have yet to formally announce any timing or naming for the next version of Windows," a spokesperson said.

A couple weeks later, Microsoft provided an official preview of Windows 8, highlighting the new HTML5 application platform. However, the Microsoft development community was reportedly "horrified" by the revelation during the demo that the new developer platform is "based on HTML5 and JavaScript."

Leaks of an early build of Windows 8 have suggested that Microsoft hopes to make the OS scalable across a range of devices and form factors, possibly including smartphones and tablets. A company executive confirmed its tablet strategy last month when he said, "We view tablet as a PC."

Source: Within Windows

It has also been suggested that Microsoft will replace its Windows Phone 7 mobile OS with Windows 8 as part of its mission to bring Windows "everywhere on every device without compromise."

The existence of a Windows 8 App Store team could also explain Microsoft's strong opposition to Apple's "App Store" trademark. The company has been Apple's most vociferous opponent of the mark, calling it too generic to be fairly registered.
post #2 of 81
What an original idea!

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #3 of 81
Wow that is so innovative of them. No wonder they are the greatest corporation in America. What next? Will they just steal the iPhone and iPad and sell them in their Microskank stores?
post #4 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

What an original idea!

Its not original in the least, but its something that they do plan on implementing though. I dont see whats wrong with them having a marketplace either
"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

~Ireland

Such a true sig
"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

~Ireland

Such a true sig
post #5 of 81
I thought one of the strengths of the upcoming Mango update to Mobile 7 was that you wouldn't need to turn to "Apps" to do things.

Why would Microsoft need some sort of program marketplace, then.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dodel View Post

Wow that is so innovative of them. No wonder they are the greatest corporation in America. What next? Will they just steal the iPhone and iPad and sell them in their Microskank stores?

They never said that it was innovative, AppleInsider is just reporting that they like Apple did will be having a curated central store for downloading applications. Why all the hate? What did Microsoft do to you?

~Ireland

Such a true sig

~Ireland

Such a true sig
post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I thought one of the strengths of the upcoming Mango update to Mobile 7 was that you wouldn't need to turn to "Apps" to do things.

Why would Microsoft need some sort of program marketplace, then.

Windows Phone isn't Windows 8. Its just on Mango there is a majority of stuff right off the bat that us integrated at the OS level so you don't need apps but no one said that Windows Phone didn't need apps. All mobile OS'es need apps

~Ireland

Such a true sig

~Ireland

Such a true sig
post #8 of 81
Quote:

What an original idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

Its not original in the least, but its something that they do plan on implementing though. I dont see whats wrong with them having a marketplace either

Someone forgot to use their sarcasm font!
post #9 of 81
You can almost hear the Windows crowd revolting, "who says Apple invented online purchasing of software??? Reality Distortion Field strikes again!!"

... while completely ignoring the streamlining of purchasing process, app rating, software verification, installation, and updates.
post #10 of 81
A competitor competing? Stop the presses!
post #11 of 81
Having an integrated digital marketplace? Good idea.

Giving it the exact same name as a competitor? Bad idea.
post #12 of 81
Quote:

What an original idea!

Well, you know what they say: Ballmer-see, Ballmer-do.
post #13 of 81
Well, I don't know who's idea was first but Apple came out with it first. Windows 8 has been in development for the past 2 years(around July 2009) so Microsoft has had the App Store idea from then.(They plan these things. Hence the 'planning stage') The Mac App Store has been around since January but we've known about it since last year.

So it's not a matter of who copied who, but who implemented the idea first and that's Apple seeing Windows 8 Marketplace(or whatever) will be launched next year.
post #14 of 81
i liked it when he said we noticed when typing your fingers go to the middle of the screen so we introduced a split key board like they invented the idea not that they have been copying ios5 tricks come on Microsoft come up with something new and different ah well
post #15 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberbear View Post

i liked it when he said we noticed when typing your fingers go to the middle of the screen so we introduced a split key board like they invented the idea not that they have been copying ios5 tricks come on Microsoft come up with something new and different ah well

I am curious. What did they copy from ios5?
post #16 of 81
Sounds like a good plan, Microsoft!

As for M$ copy-cat moves; it is well known that Apple has performed as Microsoft's research department for the past 25 years.
post #17 of 81
Or you guys could do a little research....

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...-in-august.ars

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...8-a-first-peek

Yes Apple got it out first, but Microsoft has been working on this a while. So has everyone else, like the links say. I dont buy PC games at a store, have not for 3 or more years. I cant remember when I bought any software in a package.

I know its tough to get your head around the fact that Apple does not invent everything.
post #18 of 81
Quote:

What an original idea!

Microsoft already had the idea of Windows Store for Windows 8 a year ago when their plan was leaked. Their problem is getting it first market, and even then it might not be as successful as the Mac App Store.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...-in-august.ars

edit: Looks like bettieblue beat me to it.
post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

Windows Phone isn't Windows 8. Its just on Mango there is a majority of stuff right off the bat that us integrated at the OS level so you don't need apps but no one said that Windows Phone didn't need apps. All mobile OS'es need apps

Could you take the red font out of your sig Please? It's really ugly and annoying and bad etiquette as well.
post #20 of 81
I remember the Pocket PC 2000 and Windows Mobile 2003 days circa 2000-2004 when I was a Windows mobile user. Lots of Windows apps existed back then but just the delivery method was through online webstores and downloading of CAB files that you synced to your phone using activesync and then installing manually. Apps for Windows Mobile have always been around...

Apple just made it so much better by innovating the delivery medium and having it curated.

A bit off topic but reminiscing the past also reminds me of my Sony CLIE PDA and this PDF reader app I bought had inertia scrolling (2002)
post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wths54 View Post

Well, I don't know who's idea was first but Apple came out with it first. Windows 8 has been in development for the past 2 years(around July 2009) so Microsoft has had the App Store idea from then.(They plan these things. Hence the 'planning stage') The Mac App Store has been around since January but we've known about it since last year.

So it's not a matter of who copied who, but who implemented the idea first and that's Apple seeing Windows 8 Marketplace(or whatever) will be launched next year.

Unless you work for Microsoft working on Windows 8, you have no way of knowing that. The AppStore App, is just that, an App. It's history does not necessarily have to go back years to the planning stages of Windows 8. Hell, they could have just started development on the App last month. (and probably did) Kidding!

I can't know for sure either, since I don't work for Microsoft, but In all likelihood, this is just another case of Microsoft following someone else's lead. At the very least Apple has shown them how to do it right and you can bet, that their store will be surprisingly similar to Apple's, just like the brick and mortar stores.
post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I dont buy PC games at a store, have not for 3 or more years. I cant remember when I bought any software in a package.

Whaw, I have never seen anybody so proudly admit to torrent everything for years.
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The existence of a Windows 8 App Store team could also explain Microsoft's strong opposition to Apple's "App Store" trademark. The company has been Apple's most vociferous opponent of the mark, calling it too generic to be fairly registered.

These guys are so two-faced though. They spent most of the 90's vociferously defending the idea that "Windows" wasn't a generic term.

You can bet if Apple made an app that used "Windows" in the title they would blow their stack. For that matter "Office" is also a generic term. By the same logic, Apple should be able to rename the iWork suite "Apple Office" and get away with it, but you know they couldn't.

Such a double standard!
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Unless you work for Microsoft working on Windows 8, you have no way of knowing that. The AppStore App, is just that, an App. It's history does not necessarily have to go back years to the planning stages of Windows 8. Hell, they could have just started development on the App last month. (and probably did) Kidding!

I can't know for sure either, since I don't work for Microsoft, but In all likelihood, this is just another case of Microsoft following someone else's lead. At the very least Apple has shown them how to do it right and you can bet, that their store will be surprisingly similar to Apple's, just like the brick and mortar stores.

Look at the links provided, they are over a year old, they show internal slides from Microsoft. There are or has been many references to a new package/file types in the last year for a class of apps that will use this/come from the app store.

Pull your head out of the Apple cloud.

All this is from Apple or Microsoft is digital distribution coming of age. Microsoft already has an app store online. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...isplayHomePage its probably 5 year old. With Windows 7 you could buy it online and download/isntall to your PC...oh year before Lion. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...e-premium.aspx
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Whaw, I have never seen anybody so proudly admit to torrent everything for years.

Torrent?

www.steampowered.com If even works on Mac's now.

Windows http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...e-premium.aspx

Office http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/..._PID_216541200

Office for a Mac http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...topseller.true

Quicken for a PC http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...management.jsp

Quicken for a Mac http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...l-software.jsp

Photoshop https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...nmethodOID=103

AutoCad http://store.digitalriver.com/DRHM/store

All purchased online, with no box, all downloaded....like the App store.
post #26 of 81
I don't get it. People are complaining about this "App Store". The way I see it, if Microsoft can get a review team as strict as Apple's, (testing apps, security, etc) then by all means, BRING ON THE WINDOWS MARKETPLACE! I am getting sick and tired of worrying about the "what if" if I download a program onto Windows.
post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years either. I do have a bunch of games that I bought on Steam which I downloaded.
post #28 of 81
Where is great wizard Bertren Serlet to tell redmond to stop their photo copiers. His spell does not stop untill he recalls it. I dunno why but that saying has been in my head the whole day today.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #29 of 81
Quote:

You mean the split type keyboard that was on the Microsoft origami umpc from a couple of years ago?

Jason
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post

A competitor competing? Stop the presses!

AKA a competitor trying to take a slice of what Apple has made popular.
post #31 of 81
I understand that many people on here have been saying that Microsoft either has come up with the whole AppStore idea first or in conjunction with Apple. In all honesty, it really doesn't matter at all. While these ideas are very similar, they are NOT competing ideas. The reason why is that Mac software is (probably) not going to be sold on Microsoft's AppStore, and visa-versa. So it really doesn't matter until one encroaches upon the other. Also, I would like to re-iterate that if (and right now that is a mighty big if) they curate it as well as Apple, it could have a very positive effect on people not getting viruses and malware. Honestly, that can only be described as "A Good Thing"©

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Look at the links provided, they are over a year old, they show internal slides from Microsoft. There are or has been many references to a new package/file types in the last year for a class of apps that will use this/come from the app store.

Pull your head out of the Apple cloud.

All this is from Apple or Microsoft is digital distribution coming of age. Microsoft already has an app store online. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...isplayHomePage its probably 5 year old. With Windows 7 you could buy it online and download/install to your PC...oh year before Lion. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...e-premium.aspx

There was also a Windows Marketplace in Vista (circa 2006).

The most important point I think isn't so much "who did this first" (hint: it was Microsoft) but that Microsoft's version of online distribution for Windows sucked.

I'm not sure what the problem was either. Perhaps application management in Windows is just too unwieldy to have a proper curated store. Perhaps the threat of another anti-trust suite cast a dark shadow over something like this.

It certainly isn't like Microsoft are unable to create a consumer focused online distribution network as Xbox Live has been kicking ass and taking names since 2005.

I think they will get this all sorted out in Windows 8. I just hope they also build in the syncing of all apps/data/settings as well.

I also hope they don't call it the "Windows App Store". That would just be dumb. Having the "Windows Marketplace" with an "Apps" section (along with other sections for music, movies, tv etc) would make a lot more sense IMO.

In any case we've have known Windows 8 would have an "app store" for almost a year now. That's old news.

What is actually interesting is the last group in Sinofsky's blog post.

Seems kind of strange to have a XAML team for a UI supposedly built around HTML/CSS/Javascript?

I'm legitimately interested in what they are going to come out with at BUILD.

Fingers crossed for a Silverlight to HTML5 compiler
post #33 of 81
Quote:

This was demonstrated before iOS 5. Anyway, it existed on tablets several years ago (not that one would expect anyone here to know what functionality was availailable on tablets before the iPad)
post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Also, I would like to re-iterate that if (and right now that is a mighty big if) they curate it as well as Apple, it could have a very positive effect on people not getting viruses and malware. Honestly, that can only be described as "A Good Thing"©

If you listen to rumors Windows 8 will have Smartscreen filter baked in.

Along with Security Essentials this won't just kill off the actual viruses, but the socially engineered malware crap as well (which is a far bigger issue than viruses IMO).

Watch for the Anti-virus companies to absolutely crack it and start screaming "anti-trust" when Windows 8 hits.

post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

This was demonstrated before iOS 5. Anyway, it existed on tablets several years ago

I've heard that the split on-screen keyboard has been around since the days of Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, but the first time I saw it in action was the Windows 8 demo.

I don't suppose you remember which tablets this was actually released on?
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

If you listen to rumors Windows 8 will have Smartscreen filter baked in.

Along with Security Essentials this won't just kill off the actual viruses, but the socially engineered malware crap as well (which is a far bigger issue than viruses IMO).

Watch for the Anti-virus companies to absolutely crack it and start screaming "anti-trust" when Windows 8 hits.

Ah, my delusional friend. You think that Microsoft invented the Smartsceen filter... But wait... Wait until it shows up in an Apple OS, only then will you see the truth that it was indeed an Apple idea from start to finish!
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

You can almost hear the Windows crowd revolting, "who says Apple invented online purchasing of software??? Reality Distortion Field strikes again!!"

... while completely ignoring the streamlining of purchasing process, app rating, software verification, installation, and updates.

Valve made online software purchasing popular long before Apple.
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Ah, my delusional friend. You think that Microsoft invented the Smartsceen filter... But wait... Wait until it shows up in an Apple OS, only then will you see the truth that it was indeed an Apple idea from start to finish!

I'm not going to hate on people. If someone lives in an Apple world the first time they hear about or see a feature is always on an Apple device. From their perspective it looks like Apple invents everything.

It's not just Apple fans either. Microsoft and Google fans are often the same. Heck I've even heard of twihards accusing other supernatural/fantasy books of "copying" Twilight's vampire vs werewolf storyline.

I'm fortunate enough to have a foot in all camps (Apple/Microsoft/Google that is, not Twilight ) so I can often see things from a different angle. I know other people aren't so fortunate, so I try hard to not confuse naiveté with stupidity.
post #39 of 81
Would someone please explain to me how "App Store" is a generic term but "Windows" isn't?

I get so confused In my next life, I hope I'm as smart as those great guys at Microsoft.
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Would someone please explain to me how "App Store" is a generic term but "Windows" isn't?

Do you even care? There are blog posts out there that detail the history of the "App Store" trademark, but it's going to take you hours to go through it all.

I'd suggest to you that trademark law is so mind-numbingly bloody boring that you avoid it unless you're really interested.

At the end of the day it seems like the pertinent point is that "App Store" was challenged and "Windows" wasn't.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft reveals team working on Windows 8 'App Store'