or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T will only offer unlimited & pay-per-use texting after Aug. 21
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T will only offer unlimited & pay-per-use texting after Aug. 21 - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And let Google have a copy of every text you've ever sent or received?

On the bright side, you get to have an easily searchable and accessible copy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is a clear case where regulatory intervention is called for. At the very least, AT&T should be required to disable SMS/MMS entirely for an account at the customer's request. If they can't do that, then the government should step in and regulate pricing. No carrier should be allowed to force customers into expensive extra services that they can't control in the entirely uncompetitive wireless market that exists in the U.S. today.

They do. Just give them a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

...by the way... if you don't need unlimited texts, definitely switch over to the Messaging 1000 plan! Do it NOW! Save a few bucks each month. Why spend $20 for unlimited texting when you only send a few hundred per month?

If you make a lot of M2M calls an extra 10$ and the cheapest voice plan can save you money.
post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

...by the way... if you don't need unlimited texts, definitely switch over to the Messaging 1000 plan! Do it NOW! Save a few bucks each month. Why spend $20 for unlimited texting when you only send a few hundred per month?

Whatever...the difference is $10. You can't even buy lunch in California for $10. People whining over a few bucks shouldn't even have an iPhone.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #43 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

One big problem with iMessage: It is only on IOS devices. Most of the world is still not on IOS (though IOS market share continues to improve). iMessage only makes sense when you know that everyone you text with (now and in the future) is on IOS. That will never happen.

Telco text messaging (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) is device agnostic....this is a great feature and they know it...which is why they continue to raise prices.

I guess I can always use iMessage and join a pay-per-use text plan.

Exactly. Text messaging works no matter what phone or network you are sending.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Get a google voice account and never pay for texting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore44 View Post

Google voice all the way. Never looked back.

Until google decides to charge for it. Also, last I checked you cant do international texting on Google Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

IOS app Beejive. you can text most phones. Some cheap phones on sub networks like ntelos...wont allow ext to go through. But for your avg smart phone it's a non issue.

There's also a dozen and one text app thats a good workaround...google voice, IM+ pro...even YIM.

All these "text app replacements" rely upon you getting the people you text to all to join their communications network -- or you getting a 2nd phone number via the service so all your friends/Colleagues are given the task to deal with your multiple number (i.e. X number for voice, oh and if I want to text i need to use Y) Pain in the butt. SMS is good because it works with everyone from the get go. All messaging services are replacing the money you would spend with the carrier to provide the service, with you spending some time use an external service or convincing people to switch to an alternative instant message medium.

At the end of the day, SMS won't disappear because it's the only way that exists that always works no matter what the network or phone a person happens to use. So either pay your carrier with cash, or you pay with your time to use the alternatives.
post #44 of 87
Pretty smart move by AT&T actually. When they went to capped data plan, people were upset, but do you realize how many people have not changed to Verizon simply because they would lose uncapped data? Same deal here. AT&T can make themselves look better to current customers who may be shopping around by doing this. You know Verizon will match this offer. It is cheaper to retain a customer than to get a new one. I know my very cheap and unlimited data has kept me from being tempted to switch to Verizon.

Now if Verizon wanted, they could make an offer to honor current unlimited data contracts from AT&T at the AT&T rate, and would probably get a lot of people switching over to them.
post #45 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Pretty smart move by AT&T actually. When they went to capped data plan, people were upset, but do you realize how many people have not changed to Verizon simply because they would lose uncapped data? Same deal here. AT&T can make themselves look better to current customers who may be shopping around by doing this. You know Verizon will match this offer. It is cheaper to retain a customer than to get a new one. I know my very cheap and unlimited data has kept me from being tempted to switch to Verizon.

Now if Verizon wanted, they could make an offer to honor current unlimited data contracts from AT&T at the AT&T rate, and would probably get a lot of people switching over to them.

Rumor is that's exactly what Verizon will be doing if you tell them you're on ATT unlimited...
post #46 of 87
Terrible. Imagine paying more or almost as much for texting as you do for data.

They are just begging people to try alternative texting apps.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #47 of 87
ALL the people i care about or want to text use an Apple device...so i wouldn't care wether imessage is not device agnostic. Heh heh heh.

ATT is totally ripping off people. I hope their attempt to aquire Sprint the only other GSM provider FAILS.

I am with the poster who said they hope Apple comes out with their own network. AppleNet baby! Lol.

But barring that, imessage, facetime and skype will be fine for me. $20 for unlimted texting? Ha! And how much you wanna bet that within a year ATT caps this "unlimited" texting just like they did with their so called "unlimited" data plan which they did away with.

This is price gouging plain and simple.

I cannot wait until iOS 5 comes out.
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

ATT is totally ripping off people. I hope their attempt to aquire Sprint the only other GSM provider FAILS.

Sprint is CDMA, not GSM

Quote:
I am with the poster who said they hope Apple comes out with their own network. AppleNet baby! Lol.

You might as well suggest that Google create their own carrier network. If you think AT&T is struggling to maintain a nationwide network, Wait until Apple tried to get into the game. Hint. It's not something just anybody can do or wants to do.
post #49 of 87
When i buy a new iphone 5, i am going to buy it factory unlocked. I travel alot, and this locked into an ATT contract BS is getting to be too much. They think they have captive prisoners....but they don't. This texting thing is just the latest abuse.

I heard Apple is working on a true world wide phone. I hope its the iphone 5
post #50 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Sprint is CDMA, not GSM


You might as well suggest that Google create their own carrier network. If you think AT&T is struggling to maintain a nationwide network, Wait until Apple tried to get into the game. Hint. It's not something just anybody can do or wants to do.

Oops. I meant T Mobile. Lol.

Last i heard, Apple has more cash than the United States of America. If ANYONE can create their own network....Apple can. Heck....Apple can buy Sprint or T Mobile and stick it to Att And Verizon. Bwa ha ha!

Not holding my breathe on this....but i am with those who have had enough of ATT. Fo shizzle!
post #51 of 87
I have always had unlimited and since most users text more than they talk I do not see the big deal especially since $20 is a great price.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And let Google have a copy of every text you've ever sent or received?

Google does not even know the meaning of the world privacy they already read our email should we let them read the texts too??...no way!!

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever...the difference is $10. You can't even buy lunch in California for $10. People whining over a few bucks shouldn't even have an iPhone.

This is such. BS argument. I dont care how much you make, $20 extra a month for texting is just ridiculous. Its a service that should be included in your data plan. Its price gouging plain and simple.

For the average american, forcing them to pay up $20 for unlimited texting is just wrong.

With iOS 5 people will have alternatives.

Apple already offers factory unlocked phones, and there are strong rumors that they will be coming out with a true universal world phone that uhas both GSM and CDMA chips. I dont kow if it'll be the iphone 5....maybe the iphone 6.....but it's coming. People will have more choices. ATT's death grip on iphone users is already slipping. They are losing their exclusivity and are trying to milk people before they lose it entirely.
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I have always had unlimited and since most users text more than they talk I do not see the big deal especially since $20 is a great price.

I am sorry, but when a texting plan almost gets as expensive as a data plan.....SOMETHING is seriously wrong. Come on. $20 for texting? 1,000 texts for $10 was fair. ($5 would be more reasonable actually) Getting rid of this option and FORCING people to pay up twice as much to text the same amount is just complete and utter BS.

And how long before they cap this "unlimited" plan? Huh? Lol. They did it with Data. You can bet that within a year, they will cap texting as well. And then charge anyone who goes over the .20 cents per text rate.
post #55 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarry View Post

Well said. This is just a trailer of what will the landscape be when AT&T and T-Mobile actually merge.

Regulators, please take note.

provide feedback on the at&t/t-mobile merger (or acquisition or whatever it truly is).

tell the fcc: 10-65

or save a click and use the direct link
post #56 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

provide feedback on the at&t/t-mobile merger (or acquisition or whatever it truly is).

tell the fcc: 10-65

or save a click and use the direct link

God i hope this doesnt go thru. T-mobiles $49.99 unlimited plan will be history if it does....along with the only other GSM competition ATT had. They will use it to inflict even more aggregious price hikes upon us.

Maybe Apple can step in and buy T mobile. They have more money than God.

Probably wont happen....but at least the government should stop this ATT takeover of T mobile. Thats just not gonna be good for anybody....except ATT that is.
post #57 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'd think they're probably already on it. Why pay the extra if you don't use it?

Perzactly! I never text, and my wife seldom texts, maybe 7-8 texts a month. It's all in what you think you can't live without.
post #58 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

If you don't text criminal or particularly dirty messages you've got nothing to worry about regardless.

Such a weak argument. The bottom line is information can be abused no matter it's criminality. Would you want anyone outside of your family to know about your divorce or financial troubles or health problems? Employers have been known to wrongfully dismiss individuals based on such issues and though the plaintiff often wins in such cases, the damage has been done and you can't get back your time spent in litigation.

Sometimes things are just private and personally I wouldn't want to be spammed with advertisements for divorce lawyers because Google had access to that info. You really should read up more about how companies like Google and Facebook already have abused the privilege of information at their disposal and how the problem could become much larger if we don't start regulating and monitoring their actions. It's time for the "veil" of trade secrets protecting these guys to be removed.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #59 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Such a weak argument. The bottom line is information can be abused no matter it's criminality. Would you want anyone outside of your family to know about your divorce or financial troubles or health problems? Employers have been known to wrongfully dismiss individuals based on such issues and though the plaintiff often wins in such cases, the damage has been done and you can't get back your time spent in litigation.

Sometimes things are just private and personally I wouldn't want to be spammed with advertisements for divorce lawyers because Google had access to that info. You really should read up more about how companies like Google and Facebook already have abused the privilege of information at their disposal and how the problem could become much larger if we don't start regulating and monitoring their actions. It's time for the "veil" of trade secrets protecting these guys to be removed.

No one is forced to post private information on social media sites, nor are they forced to text the info. If you do that, you do so at your own risk. This isn't really difficult, and ranks right up there with keeping your mouth shut when it's in your best interest.
post #60 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

No one is forced to post private information on social media sites, nor are they forced to text the info. If you do that, you do so at your own risk. This isn't really difficult, and ranks right up there with keeping your mouth shut when it's in your best interest.

I suppose making phone calls or leaving voice messages or sending emails are "at my own risk" as well? So I should just invest in and invent a "Get Smart" isolation tube for all of my communications then? Don't be naive. There are reasons why warrants are normally required for such information to be obtained and these days we are encroaching upon an era where those rights could vanish. Me sending a text to my lawyer or my doctor should be no less private than me making a phone call.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #61 of 87
Crooks. iMessage is coming.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I suppose making phone calls or leaving voice messages or sending emails are "at my own risk" as well? So I should just invest in and invent a "get Smart" isolation tube for all of my communications then? Don't be naive.

If you're stupid enough to leave personal info in a voice message, or to put it in an email/text, then maybe you live on a planet where this behavior hasn't come back to bite folks in their posterior on a regular basis. Most of us here, and that pay attention to the news, have seen this in action over a period of several years. Where have you been?
post #63 of 87
We had three people on our a count ( and will until 8/29/11) so the family plan unlimited was a fine choice. BUT this is not a good choice for two people! Our prices would go from $10 each to $15 each since we don't use more than 1000 texts each per month.

So I changed all three phones to the 1000 text plan this morning after reading about this blatant money grab. Once iMessage comes I will drop me texts completely and use iMessage and Google Voice. I wish my wife would use Google Voice texting so we could completely drop AT&T texting.

I am really surprised that AT&T didn't do what T-mobile does and simply roll it into all the minutes plans. That way nobody could drop their texting costs and it wouldn't have bee as blatant as ( for all pratical purposes) doubling their texting costs.
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

If you're stupid enough to leave personal info in a voice message, or to put it in an email/text, then maybe you live on a planet where this behavior hasn't come back to bite folks in their posterior on a regular basis. Most of us here, and that pay attention to the news, have seen this in action over a period of several years. Where have you been?

You just proved my point. In the past it was inadmissible. Today that situation has changed even though the laws have not been clearly voted upon. Corporations like Google should not have the right to access this info. I can't believe you are not listening to yourself. Your only argument is... "well thats the way it is get used to it." Good job.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #65 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

If you don't text criminal or particularly dirty messages you've got nothing to worry about regardless.

Except of course when Google gets hacked or a disgruntled employee steals this data and it's used to steal from you
post #66 of 87
That's very disappointing and most likely others will follow suit. I don't think SMS puts that much strain on the cellular network so this move is pure greed. Kids text a lot so they are taking advantage.

I hope smaller carriers capitalize on this get bigger and eventually eat their lunch. Im tempted t take my business to metro PCS
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

You just proved my point. In the past it was inadmissible. Today that situation has changed even though the laws have not been clearly voted upon. Corporations like Google should not have the right to access this info. I can't believe you are not listening to yourself. Your only argument is... "well thats the way it is get used to it." Good job.

So, you don't care if your personal info is exposed to one and all, as long as it's "not admissible"? Are you really Anthony Wiener?

The point, which has clearly escaped you, is that if you think that these forms of communication are secure, you are up for the title of MR. NAIVE, 2011.
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Get a google voice account and never pay for texting again.

You pay in other ways - with your soul.
post #69 of 87
Depending on what text plan one currently has that comes out to either $60 or $180 a year to your phone bill. For something that is nearly 100% pure profit for the telco's. I'm not willing to support that.

The good news is that this should help wean people off of texting an onto data based messaging services.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever...the difference is $10. You can't even buy lunch in California for $10. People whining over a few bucks shouldn't even have an iPhone.
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

So, you don't care if your personal info is exposed to one and all, as long as it's "not admissible"? Are you really Anthony Wiener?

The point, which has clearly escaped you, is that if you think that these forms of communication are secure, you are up for the title of MR. NAIVE, 2011.

I get it but please, are you seriously trying to claim that no form of communications should be considered secure because "nothing is inherently perfectly secure"? How exactly am I supposed to communicate with anyone besides sealing myself up in a hyperbolic chamber with the 2nd party if I cannot email, text, phone call? Would you consider postal mail "not secure" as well? At least I can understand who I am dealing with based on your response.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #71 of 87
not sure if this is appropriate but this is exactly what i think of this:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\\.................'...../
..........''...\\.......... _.·´
............\\..............(
..............\\.............\\...

I use textfree for 99% of my texts. Is it possible to turn off text messaging with ATT entirely? This new plan is a ripoff.

In the the rest of the world, you don't get charged for incoming texts. I was paying per text for the phone company sending me texts once.
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever...the difference is $10. You can't even buy lunch in California for $10. People whining over a few bucks shouldn't even have an iPhone.

Sorry, no. It simply doesn't justify this anti-competitive money grab. It doesn't matter that I can afford it, I'd rather spend the money on something else.

As it is, for two years of use, your plan price goes up by about the subsidized price of the phone.
post #73 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarry View Post

Well said. This is just a trailer of what will the landscape be when AT&T and T-Mobile actually merge.

Regulators, please take note.

Several years ago, the price of a text without a plan was $0.10, when we had six major nationwide carriers. Now, the price is $0.20, soon to be three nationwide carriers.
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Several years ago, the price of a text without a plan was $0.10, when we had six major nationwide carriers. Now, the price is $0.20, soon to be three nationwide carriers.

And before that, it was five cents each.

Curious (Pro tip: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT) how the price rises by the same amount on every carrier within a few weeks of each other, isn't it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #75 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And before that, it was five cents each.

I guess that was before I bothered to get a phone.

With the 1000 text plan, $10 bought you up to 160kB of data.
post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

With the 1000 text plan, $10 bought you up to 160kB of data.

The ONLY thing about this turn of events that we as consumers can find soothing is this:

At least these aren't the data rates.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #77 of 87
Get TextFree Unlimited and turn off your text from ATT completely. If someone is too stupid to change your new text number over then the are too stupid to be your friend.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermustard View Post

Get TextFree Unlimited and turn off your text from ATT completely. If someone is too stupid to change your new text number over then the are too stupid to be your friend.

Or don't waste time or money on some app when iMessage does it for free...

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or don't waste time or money on some app when iMessage does it for free...

But only to other iOS devices. iMessage will be great, but it isn't an SMS replacement.

I would get a GoogleVoice number and app, that way you can text anyone in the US or Canada for free and use iMessage for anyone with iOS.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And let Google have a copy of every text you've ever sent or received?

But OTOH, if you lose your phone, you don't lose your history of texts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T will only offer unlimited & pay-per-use texting after Aug. 21