or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T will only offer unlimited & pay-per-use texting after Aug. 21

AT&T will only offer unlimited & pay-per-use texting after Aug. 21 - Page 3

post #81 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

But OTOH, if you lose your phone, you don't lose your history of texts

With iPhone, you just restore from backup and you'll get your texts back, including every other setting you have. Nearly every time you sync, the backup is refreshed.
post #82 of 87
Quote:
"The vast majority of our messaging customers prefer unlimited plans and with text messaging growth stronger than ever, that number continues to climb among new customers."

I certainly didn't tell them that. When responding to the multiple surveys they have sent me over the past few years, in the section where they ask something like "what else can we do to better serve you", I always ask for rollover text messaging plans. I have the $5/month 200 message plan. Most months I send or receive 50-100 texts. On very rare occasions I have gone over by 5-10 messages, and of course they charge me for that, which seems incredibly petty. Rollover minutes are fantastic as I never have to worry about overage, and they are the only carrier to offer that. Why not increase customer satisfaction--and differentiate themselves from other carriers--by also offering rollover text messages?

And so what if the vast majority truly do prefer unlimited plans? Why take away customer choice?

I'd submit that the vast majority would prefer unlimited data plans with the option of tethering, but I don't see them offering that, exclusively or otherwise.

Quote:
"Existing customers don't have to change any messaging plan they have today, even when changing handsets."

The only reason for this is to avoid a lawsuit and/or revolt. Placate the existing customers.
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post

And so what if the vast majority truly do prefer unlimited plans?

I wonder if this is really the case. Is anyone going to call them out on it, ask them to back it up with actual figures?
post #84 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

If you don't text criminal or particularly dirty messages you've got nothing to worry about regardless.

I guess there's no reason to want privacy for anything other than things that are criminal or particularly dirty....
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

If you don't text criminal or particularly dirty messages you've got nothing to worry about regardless.

Wow. You seriously believe that, don't you? You actually have that mindset.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #86 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

One big problem with iMessage: It is only on IOS devices. Most of the world is still not on IOS (though IOS market share continues to improve). iMessage only makes sense when you know that everyone you text with (now and in the future) is on IOS. That will never happen.

Telco text messaging (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) is device agnostic....this is a great feature and they know it...which is why they continue to raise prices.

I guess I can always use iMessage and join a pay-per-use text plan.

I believe Google voice can text & receive texts. The real issue I think is that if someone sends you texts you still get charged, to me that is criminal that I'm charged for something I can't turn off at will.
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I believe Google voice can text & receive texts. The real issue I think is that if someone sends you texts you still get charged, to me that is criminal that I'm charged for something I can't turn off at will.

No, you can have texting blocked on your phone.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T will only offer unlimited & pay-per-use texting after Aug. 21