or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › HP to spin off PC business to focus on enterprise software

HP to spin off PC business to focus on enterprise software - Page 2

post #41 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Hmm... I wonder what large market-leading, influential company could be added if HP (or one of the other 30) is moved. That's a tough one.

Berkshire-Hathaway would be the most credible candidate.
post #42 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Hold on a second. Where did AppleInsider get the idea that HP was killing off WebOS? No other outlet is reporting that, and those claims aren't answered or sourced here.

Jumping the gun much, AI?

Web OS is being kept alive but HP will no longer make devices for it. In other words it is at the mercy of other manufacturers who may or may not want to use WebOS.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #43 of 254
Well I suppose best buy will be stuck with them webOS tablets after all!

HP is correctly recognizing that there is no future in the PC business, at least they are not in denial like Ballmer. People will still use PCs for a while but the market won't be growing, but rather consolidating. HP will likely focus on servers, clouds, datacenter products in general, and services. Good for them!

The webOS was a turkey of an idea and they are cutting their losses early! Long live palm, RIP!

Unless Microsoft puts Moses on their payroll,the battle will be between Apple and moto-goo or whatever they decide to name that "thing". Contest anyone?

Others will likely pull out of android unless they are complete idiots.
post #44 of 254
No that is not a spin off, that was a sale. A spin off is when one company breaks off part of itself to start a new company. Here is a good example of a spin off.

There Motorola gave its mobile phone assets to a new company it started along with 3.5 billion dollars. The new company Motorola Mobility then became its own entity. That is the company Google just bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Does "spin off" mean something along the lines of what IBM did with Lenovo? Or does it means something else entirely?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
post #45 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

This is bad news for all of us. We need strong competition to drive innovation and competitive pricing. Hopefully the spun off HP can survive and thrive. Or be sold to capable hands.

Not really. Just let Apple have the mobile market to themselves. Since they were "first", no one else has the right to dabble in it anyway. They can charge what they wish and sue any competition that crops up out of existence since they'll own most of the patent value in mobile, have all the cash they got from buyers willing to buy Apple products at any cost, and will be the only ones who can afford to drag legal fights out for years if need be. If you can't afford to buy an Apple, tough luck. You obviously didn't need/deserve a tablet or smartphone that bad anyway.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #46 of 254
Mmmm... I wonder if Jon Rubinstein will be spun-off...

It appears that he already has experienced "Percussive Sublimation".

HP Replaces Jon Rubinstein as Head of webOS
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #47 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Web OS is being kept alive but HP will no longer make devices for it. In other words it is at the mercy of other manufacturers who may or may not want to use WebOS.

Thank you, I was just about to pose the same question. The webOS part is almost the main news to me, I already knew PCs were over, Steve already told us that
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #48 of 254
I'm watching cable tv on my ipad at the moment, and an ad just came on for the HP TouchPad.

People who bought that tablet sure are dumb. Now HP just killed off all WebOS devices.

The idiot CEO said that they were running a marathon. Instead, it turned out to be the world's shortest sprint .

Cya............
post #49 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

I wonder if that HP executive is still heading over to Best Buy to ask them to be patient...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #50 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What does Dell have that Apple could use? From what I can see Apple could follow in Dell's footsteps of making cheap 'PCs' is they chose to. Luckily for us they don't.

Apple could just shut her down, distribute the money to the shareholders.
post #51 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm... I wonder if Jon Rubinstein will be spun-off...

It appears that he already has experienced "Percussive Sublimation".

HP Replaces Jon Rubinstein as Head of webOS

I'm sure Apple would loan them a large spin dryer.
post #52 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamh View Post

Apple could just shut her down, distribute the money to the shareholders.

Nah, let them lose their shirts. Sorry I shouldn't gloat at the thought of Michael Dell suffering his predicted fate for Apple ... oh Hell why not?
post #53 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

"HP, a storied Silicon Valley icon that dominates the personal computing industry, announced it will discontinue the WebOS-based "TouchPad" tablet computer and phones, which have failed to catch on with consumers." - Reuters

Wow! Rubinstein is going to have a hard time putting a positive spin on THAT.
HP is making the decision to cut their losses on the Palm acquisition. Good move for them. Will some other company express an interest in owning/developing WebOS?

Edit: Just saw the announcement of Rubinstein's replacement. Aieeeeeeeeeeeeee....splat
post #54 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I think AI should update their style guide so that the picture of Apple's new "spaceship" is appended to every article, sort of like a halo. The juxtaposition is amplified when the article in question has nothing to do with the new Apple HQ, for example, when talking about the demise of HP's webOS division.

I have provided a sample. Bathe in the magnificent light of my post! Behold the Apple Halo!

I like it better with the clouds -- you can almost see the angels looking down... smiling...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #55 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thank you, I was just about to pose the same question. The webOS part is almost the main news to me, I already knew PCs were over, Steve already told us that

HP is still envisioning a WebOS world where it will be found in our tv's, printers, cars, toasters... that sort of thing... until next week, of course, when someone will ask them about WebOS and HP will respond, "WebOS? What? Are you even speaking english?!".
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #56 of 254
Woa, are they killing their tablets and Palm OS?
post #57 of 254
Quote:

Quote:

Hold on a second. Where did AppleInsider get the idea that HP was killing off WebOS? No other outlet is reporting that, and those claims aren't answered or sourced here.

Actually no.... Google err Google News for webOS and you will find all the major publications reporting on it.

WebOS is dead, touchpad is dead, and after looking at the stock market I'm not feeling great either!
post #58 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It sounds like HP is following IBM in an orderly exit from the hardware business. They're going to do software and services.

in the consumer market, yes, but within the enterprise / commercial space HP is quite strong.
post #59 of 254
Quote:

I wonder if that HP executive is still heading over to Best Buy to ask them to be patient...

He was wondering why they only gave him a one-way ticket.
post #60 of 254
Quote:

Actually no.... Google err Google News for webOS and you will find all the major publications reporting on it.

WebOS is dead, touchpad is dead, and after looking at the stock market I'm not feeling great either!

All the publications are not reporting that it is dead. Read what they are saying. HP is keeping WebOS alive but they are killing all devices that use it. (... and, yes, in any sane person's mind that is just as good as dead, but it is not what HP is saying... WebOS lives...).
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #61 of 254
A friend of mine works for Autonomy. They're a very smart group of people. I wonder what advantages they get from being bought by HP.
post #62 of 254
This was coming. But to this degree? Wow. Apple really did change everything.

Post-PC era for sure, folks. But it's almost comical the way we're heading into it.

I feel sorry for the suckers who actually bought the whole WebOS baloney. It was already dead when Palm killed it.
post #63 of 254
Here's HP's track record of big deals:

Quote:
FACTBOX-HP's ten largest deals since 2000

NEW YORK, Aug 18 (Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard Co <HPQ.N> is
close to a deal to buy British software company Autonomy
<AUTN.L> for $10 billion, according to two sources familiar
with the company's plans. [ID:nN1E77H131]
A $10 billion deal would be HP's third-largest deal since
2000, according to Thomson Reuters data.
The following are HP's 10 largest deals during that
period.

SIZE
COMPANY ($ MLN) DATE
------------------------------------------------------
Compaq Computer Corp 23,518.4 09/04/01
Electronic Data Systems Corp 13,031.0 05/13/08
Mercury Interactive Corp 4,193.5 07/25/06
3Com Corp 2,716.8 11/11/09
3PAR Inc 1,961.0 08/23/10
Opsware Inc 1,613.5 07/23/07
Palm Inc 1,544.4 04/28/10
Indigo NV 1,449.3 09/07/01
ArcSight Inc 1,418.8 09/13/10
Triaton GmbH 427.1 02/23/04
------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE: Thomson Reuters Deals Intelligence

(Compiled by Michael Erman. Editing by Robert MacMillan)
((Reuters Messaging: michael.erman.reuters.com@reuters.net; +1
646 223 6021))
Keywords: HP AUTONOMY/

When HP merged with Compaq, both stocks went down!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #64 of 254
Quote:

As many of us predicted, HP fucked up WebOS. HP isn't a software company and had no idea what to do with it. Bummer too because if it gone to the right company it could have given Apple a run for their money. Oh well...
post #65 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

As many of us predicted, HP fucked up WebOS. HP isn't a software company and had no idea what to do with it. Bummer too because if it gone to the right company it could have given Apple a run for their money. Oh well...

Give it time... Google will make an offer to HP for WebOS.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #66 of 254
Quote:

All the publications are not reporting that it is dead. Read what they are saying. HP is keeping WebOS alive but they are killing all devices that use it. (... and, yes, in any sane person's mind that is just as good as dead, but it is not what HP is saying... WebOS lives...).

I get a mental image of a disembodied brain in a large glass dome ....
post #67 of 254
Quote:

Nope. Directly from HP's web site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Press Statement

In addition, HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward.

OTOH, HP did not say exactly that they will spin off the PC business. Officially, it is only an option. So a better headline would have been "HP kills TouchPad and WebOS phones"

DED was right though in predicting HP would completely botch the WebOS initiative. I think he predicted that when HP bought Palm.
post #68 of 254
Quote:

Give it time... Google will make an offer to HP for WebOS.

My money is on Mattel.
post #69 of 254
Yeah I bet they aren't too happy with that.

Quote:

post #70 of 254
Do you think there is a queue of HP top execs lining up to kick the shit out of Jon Rubenstein for selling them a White elephant?

1.2 billion for a printer OS, giggle!!
post #71 of 254
Quote:

ZDnet

{Summary: HP drops a bombshellas well as the TouchPad and WebOS.

HP said Thursday that it will discontinue its WebOS operations as the company cut its outlook for the next two quarters.

The company said it *will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. And that WebOS unit will cost HP some dough to discontinue. HP will also spin off its PC unit.}

Unless I have a comprehension problem, which is quite possible, I read that that webOS is dead, only it will take some dough to completely kill it.
post #72 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The answers you've gotten are incomplete. A spin-off is a mechanistic action. Focusing on the results (is it like agilent? Is it like Lenovo?) only confuses the issue.

Specifically, a spin-off occurs when a company restructures operations in such a way that a new entity is created which has its own shares. Specifically, Company A has a subsidiary or division (call it Company B). Company B is wholly part of Company A and the results are reported as part of Company A's results.

Now, Company A spins off Company B. That means that there are now shares in Company B which are tied directly to company B. So, when Company A reports their operating results, Company B is not included.

This can be for any number of reasons. Often, it is done before selling Company B (Lenovo). Or, it can be done to shelter Company A from liability for some reason. Or because Company A thinks that their relationship is holding Company B back from achieving its full potential. Or any number of other reasons.

It becomes more complex than that. When Company A spins off Company B, Company A can sell all of the stock, some of the stock, or none of the stock. So it is entirely possible for Company B to now be an independent company, but still fully owned by Company A (different than a subsidiary because a subsidiary does not have its own stock). The difference is that if Company A owns Company B's stock, the results would now typically (although not always) be reported as investment income rather than operating income.

Not at all. See above. There are plenty of examples where subsidiaries or divisions are spun off without selling the company.

The only thing I'd add is that sometimes the reason for the spin-off is to allow either a) or b) (or both) to go private.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #73 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

A friend of mine works for Autonomy. They're a very smart group of people. I wonder what advantages they get from being bought by HP.

Just ask the Palm people
post #74 of 254
Quote:

ZDnet

{Summary: HP drops a bombshellas well as the TouchPad and WebOS.

HP said Thursday that it will discontinue its WebOS operations as the company cut its outlook for the next two quarters.

The company said it *will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. And that WebOS unit will cost HP some dough to discontinue. HP will also spin off its PC unit.}

Unless I have a comprehension problem, which is quite possible, I read that that webOS is dead, only it will take some dough to completely kill it.

You've got to wonder if there is something about WebOS not being said as of yet such as a major patent problem that HP don't want to fight.
post #75 of 254
Quote:

I get a mental image of a disembodied brain in a large glass dome ....

Jan in the pan
post #76 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Just ask the Palm people

Ouch!
post #77 of 254
Quote:

You've got to wonder if there is something about WebOS not being said as of yet such as a major patent problem that HP don't want to fight.

It's probably worth something and they may just sell it at a bargain price. Maybe Samsung or HTC since their Android champagne dreams have turned in to nightmares.
post #78 of 254
Wow! I mean, just wow! I don't think anyone saw this coming. Sure, maybe some day, but this soon?! Even God is sitting on his cloud, mouth agape, rubbing his eyes.

Man, if I was one of the nine people who bought a TouchPad, I'd be SO pissed!

Maybe RIM will follow suit in the tablet space?
post #79 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The only thing I'd add is that sometimes the reason for the spin-off is to allow either a) or b) (or both) to go private.

It's maybe simply that with PCs HP have decided flogging dead horses isn't a good business model and I suspect webOS has some serious patent liabilities they recently discovered. Someone at HP has big balls to be this decisive. My hat off to them though, they will be around years from now due to this surgical amputation unlike some other companies in the PC business.
post #80 of 254
Quote:

ZDnet

{Summary: HP drops a bombshell—as well as the TouchPad and WebOS.

The company said it *”will discontinue operations for webOS devices”, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. And that WebOS unit will cost HP some dough to discontinue. HP will also spin off its PC unit.}

Here... the WSJ article says it best (essentially saying the same thing as ZDnet... just clearer):

"As part of Hewlett-Packard's planned spinoff of its PC business, it will keep the webOS software business but let go of the hardware, meaning H-P is shutting down its tablets business, people familiar with the matter said."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...053718850.html

* ... and the ZDnet article left out the word "hardware" when they were discussing about the cost of shutting down the WebOS (hardware) unit.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › HP to spin off PC business to focus on enterprise software