or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple ordered raid on New York store to seize knock-off accessories
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple ordered raid on New York store to seize knock-off accessories - Page 2

post #41 of 53
I'm glad apple is cracking down on counterfeit products, I am certain nobody want to spend their hard earned money on some counterfeit good. We also should expect a certain level of quality from an apple product, and most other manufacturers skipper out on.
post #42 of 53
Apple's gestapo strikes again!

Lodsys, you are next (so not)
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sternapples53 View Post

This just goes to show Apples turn to being a bully and a ruthless Corp. The old think different campaign could now be called Think Greed. Sure protecting your patents is all fine and well. Some how this seems over the top. After all Apple sits on 76 BIllion in cash, how much in sales do you think one store like this affects them. I am not saying they should be allowed to sell knock offs after all you can get fake lois Vitton anywhere but asking for the names of their customers was totally uncalled for. Thats just too big brother.


Aw c'mon people. Apple is a big corporation but it earned every cent of what they are worth. In the USA where corporations really are running the political agenda, Apple ain't one of them. All Apple does is innovate and bring you Christmas in July, and they make great products that work all year long. You can use YOUR imagination without the device getting in the way. Has Apple ever done anything to make their customers angry? No! Except maybe to tear down completely a prior product because they have something much much better to replace it! Of all the corporations to bitch about, Apple isn't one I would pick. if anything, they have set the high bar of what a company could aspire to do. I figured out they would be a big story in 1998, nobody believed me. Oh, and the CEO is paid $1 / yr plus whatever the company gives him by gift! Wow I'd like to see another mega Corp do that! No, Apple is about anything BUT greed. If they were greedy they would have the same 'ain't broke don't fix it' and 'make a sequel' attitude that so many others have. Nope, Apple is organized completely different. Not afraid to tear down a working product to give us something we can't even imagine yet. Two years ago this forum was full of people wondering what good a 'large iPhone aka tablet' would be. Now they are becoming indispensable. I think I will continue to admire Apple for a while.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't wait to hear all the complaints from the Apple haters. Maybe I should save them the trouble:

- Apple must be scared of competition
- These people are good for Apple since they're creating more recognition
- How dare Apple be such a big bully?
- How could they get a patent on a case?
- Next thing you know, they'll raid a grocery store to take all the apples.
- Go ahead, add your own......

You forgot the laissez faire, hands-off government, deregulation, let companies do what they want, the market will take care of itself, groups.
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivertrip View Post

The misunderstanding is because the author (Josh Ong) is more interested in generating clicks than accurate reporting.

True that.

The headline is semi accurate because Apple did request the seizure and thus did 'order' it.

However a judge had to approve it and yes actual law enforcement were there to serve the warrant which allowed Apple hired private staff to do the actual removal

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Whatever happened to public justice, open courts, and public trial proceedings?

Nothing happened. They don't apply here at all.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

APPLE would be crazy to exchange real product for fake. Apple should try to inform these people that they bought fake product and that they should return them to the store they were bought from.

You don't know much about retail do you?
Giving them real products in exchange for the fake ones would be the best thing they could do.

Kind of an ironic comment from you considering your ugly blue sig that calls people out for being "stupid."

Maybe you should get down off that high horse and think of a new sig, eh? Or at least follow the normal etiquette and take the garish colours out.
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Some of the writers are a bit better than others, but none of them are journalists.


Neither are some who call themselves "journalists" nowadays.

However, your point is well taken. What is truly amazing is the number of people that read articles like this on the web, then panic, even to the point of declaring that "it's time for them to leave the country". These are the folks who say "Whelp, I read it on the internet, so it's gotta be true!". OTOH, they also might be customers of the Apple Story!
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

It's not that Apple is exercising their legal rights; it's that, per the article, APPLE is executing the raid, not law enforcement officials:

""On July 27, Apple executed several ex parte seizure warrants -- allowing the company to seize the items -- that swept up goods from both stores that bore the Apple logo," the report wrote. U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto has also granted a request for a preliminary injunction against sales of the knock-off goods at the two stores."

You read about the BSA conducting software license audits, now Apple conducting raids. Since when did corporations get the power to enforce laws?


They are not enforcing the laws on their own out of the blue. They are executing seizures based on court granted warrants. If you have ever had to collect on a civil judgement you know that even when a civilian (or corporation) acts it is under the authority of the law. Remember that couple that showed up at the Bank of America branch with a moving truck to seize their business assets for an unpaid judgement? Sure, there was a sheriff's deputy there but he wasn't calling the shots. The court granted the couple the authority to seize assets to satisfy the judgement. In this case Apple is seizing good (counterfeit) that carry their trademark that the store was not legally licensed to sell or even possess. Nothing askew of the law going on here.
post #50 of 53
Apple probably wants the customer list so they can determine volume of sales so they can assess the amount of damages to sue for.
post #51 of 53
APPLE IS Doomed
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't know much about retail do you?
Giving them real products in exchange for the fake ones would be the best thing they could do.

Kind of an ironic comment from you considering your ugly blue sig that calls people out for being "stupid."

OK, why don't you explain the rationale (including facts to support the argument) why Apple replacing all the counterfeits with genuine Apple products would be the BEST thing they could do?

In reality, it would be a horrible move - for lots of reasons:
1. It sets a precedent - and encourages people to buy more fakes. Some people would intentionally buy fakes and then try to get them replaced - so they could get genuine Apple products at the junk price.

2. It creates in peoples' minds the concept that the fakes are truly a legitimate product and Apple considers them to be such.

3. Of course, it would cost Apple many millions of dollars that could better be invested in R&D.

There are more, but that's a start.

Besides, it would get REALLY expensive when they start replacing Samsung phones with iPhones.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer
Whatever happened to public justice, open courts, and public trial proceedings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nothing happened. They don't apply here at all.

Ah, so American corporate law is in fact Nazi law, complete with secret proceedings, secret injunctions, and razzias.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple ordered raid on New York store to seize knock-off accessories