or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T exec reportedly tells staffers to prepare for early October iPhone 5 launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T exec reportedly tells staffers to prepare for early October iPhone 5 launch

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Apple's much-anticipated iPhone 5 is likely to be unveiled in a matter of weeks before hitting the market sometime in early October, a high-ranking AT&T official is reported to have told staffers of the U.S wireless carrier.

Citing one of its "high-level AT&T sources," BGR claims the iPhone 5 is slated to launch in early October following an introduction at a media event sometime later next month. Expect things to get really, really busy in the next 35-50 days, so prepare your teams accordingly," the executive is reported to have said.

While the report offers no further details, the timeframe is consistent with a recent claim from TiPb, which said last week that its sources have indicated that Friday, October 7th is currently tracking as day Apple hopes to begin shipping the device.
post #2 of 35
Has anyone heard rumors regarding if the iPhone 5 will be sold unlocked by Apple like they recently started doing with the iPhone 4? An early October release is great, but only if it's possible to get an unlocked version from the beginning. I've got family coming over to Europe in November and unlocked iPhone 4 prices in America are about 40% cheaper than anywhere on this side of the ocean.
post #3 of 35
"we expected an iPhone 5 refresh sometime this summer. We dont know when the next one is going to come out. You will have to ask Apple that" - McAdam CEO of Verizon
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #4 of 35
Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.
post #5 of 35
This isn't really surprising. The rumors for quite some time now have been consistently saying late September to early October. I'm with you though in that my 3GS is definitely overdue for an upgrade. Unlike you however, I'm not even thinking about an Android at this point. Hell, even if Apple delayed the iPhone 5 until next year, God forbid, I still wouldn't be looking at an Android phone.
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

Why wait then? Steve does NOT want you to feel sick.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

What's pathetic is your whining over waiting for genius products that change the world.

Get a grip... Android is garbage. But if you feel like wasting money and your precious time versus waiting another month... Go right ahead, we could care less.
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Pathetic apple

"I deserve a new device whenever I want a new device."

Quote:
I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

So go buy an Android phone and languish with the rest of them when the iPhone 5 comes out. Are we stopping you?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #9 of 35
It's still funny a year ago some people were all but sure a recall of e iPhone 4 was imminent, then followed by a design change early on, yet now we have the same design for an uncommonly long timeframe and what may be the continuation of the external antenna design.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 35
I've heard from a reliable source that AT&T execs informed staffers that they really don't have a clue when the new iPhone is going to be released, as Apple doesn't trust them to keep their big, fat wireless mouth closed.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

It is a little strange, isn't it? If the upgrade isn't a big deal, then why would they need another 3 months to roll it out? I mean, what part or component holdup is demanding that Apple change the usual summer phone rollout schedule?
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtmac View Post

I've heard from a reliable source that AT&T execs informed staffers that they really don't have a clue when the new iPhone is going to be released, as Apple doesn't trust them to keep their big, fat wireless mouth closed.

Yeah, here's how I see the first true communication...

A senior AT&T manager receives an e-mail from an Apple VP of Channel Sales. "Be prepared to receive xxx pallets in 48 hours. Keep these locked until further notice. Deployment instructions and an invoice will be sent next week."
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

It is a little strange, isn't it? If the upgrade isn't a big deal, then why would they need another 3 months to roll it out? I mean, what part or component holdup is demanding that Apple change the usual summer phone rollout schedule?

Could be software (iOS 5) or services (iCloud).

There's more to the iPhone than parts.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's much-anticipated iPhone 5 is likely to be unveiled in a matter of weeks before hitting the market sometime in early October, a high-ranking AT&T official is reported to have told staffers of the U.S wireless carrier.

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

I've been waiting, too. I don't think it's pathetic. It's up to Apple when they deliver new products. But, I am very anxious, as well. My wife and I both have 3gs' on ATT (and an iPhone 4 for another family member). But, I'm dying to upgrade and get off of ATT at the same time.

For me though, the October release would actually be perfect timing because my wife's contract won't expire until the end of September. Maybe Steve knew that and did that just for me...HaHa.

I was planning to go to Verizon. But, since they've adopted so many customer unfriendly pricing schemes, I'm probably going to switch to Cellular South instead. And, the iPhone 5 may not be available on their service. Therefore, like you, Android is looking better and better. In fact, Win 7 phones are looking better. While I think Apple makes the best phone, by a long ways, I'm not going to be raped by the service provider just to have an iPhone. Android phones and Windows phones may not be as good. But, I'll do what I need to to avoid being abused by either ATT or Verizon. Hope somebody is listening...

If the iPhone 5 is released for Cellular South (not expecting that), then my problems are solved. Otherwise, there's a very high possibility that I will not be getting an iPHone. And, the end of Sept is my magic date. I should know about the iPhone 5 by then and be completed with the contract. Not only that, but ATT lowered my bill for 3 months to keep me as a customer. The end of Sept will be end of the third month.

So, actually, the timing is just perfect. Still, I'm so anxious....
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

It is a little strange, isn't it? If the upgrade isn't a big deal, then why would they need another 3 months to roll it out? I mean, what part or component holdup is demanding that Apple change the usual summer phone rollout schedule?

Apple is holding the new iPhone 5 hardware to launch it alongside iOS 5 and iCloud, much like they held the new MacBook Air until Mac OS X Lion was released.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #17 of 35
Yea. You're right. But, see my reply (#15). To avoid ATT and Verizon, I'll accept a lesser quality phone and OS. Other people will, too. So, I hope I can get the new iPhone on my provider of choice. Time will tell.....
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.

I think it's more the issue of the suppliers not being able to produce enough components for the latest device because of the earthquake. It's not like Tim can predict that.

I mean, besides the Galaxy II, which still isn't seen anywhere in US, there's really very little progress in terms of smartphone hardware anyway, and that's because of the same issue.
post #19 of 35
That's probably consistent with all the rumors so far. All we need now is a drunk apple engineer at a palo alto bar forgetting a prototype iPhone 5 so we can get a preview.

I'll probably wait for iPhone 6 since my 4 looks brand new! At least that's my story now! Come Oct 5 I'll probably be on the mile long lines

I can probably unlock my iP4 and sell it
post #20 of 35
Here it is, kids, the reason it is taking so long for Apple to introduce the next iPhone, is because they are developing the cellular communications chip themselves. Remember when it was rumored that they were working on a chip to do away with the sim cards now required to operate on some networks? Well they have actually been working on the complete communications chip so they won't be using a qualcomm or some other chip. They'll be using a completely programmable chip that they can set to work on whatever network they want it to work on... One phone, many networks...
You read it here first!
post #21 of 35
I would not doubt that the date change might also involve China Mobile wanting the announcement to involve them in the new rollout.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Here it is, kids, the reason it is taking so long for Apple to introduce the next iPhone, is because they are developing the cellular communications chip themselves. Remember when it was rumored that they were working on a chip to do away with the sim cards now required to operate on some networks? Well they have actually been working on the complete communications chip so they won't be using a qualcomm or some other chip. They'll be using a completely programmable chip that they can set to work on whatever network they want it to work on... One phone, many networks...
You read it here first!

Well dog my cat! You're right, I read that rumor a while back. That's great but I wonder if you were to buy such a phone it would have to be unsubzsidized and full retail? I suppose it could be locked, and subsidized, but you know them hackers have pwened every one of them up until now.

I can't wait
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.


Change to Android if you want to feel sick finding your couple months old device outdated by the new model already.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Apple is holding the new iPhone 5 hardware to launch it alongside iOS 5 and iCloud.

I remember the last time Apple released an iPhone and an Internet service on the same day.

Didn't work well, as I recall. I don't see this being the explicit reason.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Has anyone heard rumors regarding if the iPhone 5 will be sold unlocked by Apple like they recently started doing with the iPhone 4? An early October release is great, but only if it's possible to get an unlocked version from the beginning. I've got family coming over to Europe in November and unlocked iPhone 4 prices in America are about 40% cheaper than anywhere on this side of the ocean.

I would think this is likely, but I haven't read confirmed anywhere. But, in every other country they sold unlocked units, once they start they don't go back to locked only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

It is a little strange, isn't it? If the upgrade isn't a big deal, then why would they need another 3 months to roll it out? I mean, what part or component holdup is demanding that Apple change the usual summer phone rollout schedule?

Maybe they are waiting on a new LTE chip or a HSPS/CDMA chip. My guess is that it is hardware related, like a new component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Apple is holding the new iPhone 5 hardware to launch it alongside iOS 5 and iCloud, much like they held the new MacBook Air until Mac OS X Lion was released.

I hope not. Same week, fine, but side by side will be murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I remember the last time Apple released an iPhone and an Internet service on the same day.

Didn't work well, as I recall. I don't see this being the explicit reason.

yup.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Here it is, kids, the reason it is taking so long for Apple to introduce the next iPhone, is because they are developing the cellular communications chip themselves. Remember when it was rumored that they were working on a chip to do away with the sim cards now required to operate on some networks? Well they have actually been working on the complete communications chip so they won't be using a qualcomm or some other chip. They'll be using a completely programmable chip that they can set to work on whatever network they want it to work on... One phone, many networks...
You read it here first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Well dog my cat! You're right, I read that rumor a while back. That's great but I wonder if you were to buy such a phone it would have to be unsubzsidized and full retail? I suppose it could be locked, and subsidized, but you know them hackers have pwened every one of them up until now.

I can't wait

That rumours was pretty well debunked shortly after it came out. IIRC, it was actually a real project in Apple, but the carriers objected strongly. In fact, didn't the head of some European carrier mention just this a couple of months ago and state that it was scraped (because of carrier 'concerns') and that Apple was expected to utilize an even smaller SIM?

Edit: Guess is was Orange.
http://www.electronista.com/articles...card.standard/

Can't find a link where they mention the concept of the embedded SIM and their opposition to it.

Edit2: found one
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...card-20110524/

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

Get the iPhone 4 then.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.

The iPhone's demographic is the 25-49 age group; the iPod touch is decidedly younger, 13-24.

The iPhone isn't really a kiddie device.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.

That is a big deal too! Everyone knows that if it weren't for the back to school phone rush the iPhone wouldn't be profitable...
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

That is a big deal too! Everyone knows that if it weren't for the back to school phone rush the iPhone wouldn't be profitable...



Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

yea MY 3G is so long on the tooth, its getting a root canal
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I remember the last time Apple released an iPhone and an Internet service on the same day. Didn't work well, as I recall. I don't see this being the explicit reason.

I recall that disaster well. I think Apple's learned lots of important lessons since the launch of MobileMe, and it seems like they're being much smarter with their rollout of iCloud (mainly that it's not going to be an automatic migration for current MobileMe users).

This may not be the explicit reason, but, if there are any truth to any of the iPhone 5 refresh rumors (take your pick), it would make sense for Apple to align the new hardware with the iOS 5 release (even if iCloud didn't factor in at all). Why release a new iPhone and then have users upgrade the OS a week later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I hope not. Same week, fine, but side by side will be murder.

I was actually thinking same week as I wrote my comment: iOS 5 first to give users time to play with the new features followed by the new iPhone 5 with iOS 5 installed. I think this is what they did with iPhone 4 (having learned from the disaster of releasing the iPhone 3G and launching MobileMe on the same day).

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

If you wanted a hell of an update, you probably should have gone for the iPhone 4, which was definitely that. iPhone 5 probably not so much...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.


Where is Tallest Skil, the self-appointed troll monitor of the internet? He who does for trolls what gaydar does for gays. We need to you say:

Stop. Trolling.

Get. Over. It.

Like you say to anyone who disagrees with you about anything.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Where is Tallest Skil, the self-appointed troll monitor of the internet? He who does for trolls what gaydar does for gays. We need to you say:

Stop. Trolling.

Get. Over. It.

Like you say to anyone who disagrees with you about anything.



I already said my piece for his comment, by the way.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • AT&T exec reportedly tells staffers to prepare for early October iPhone 5 launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T exec reportedly tells staffers to prepare for early October iPhone 5 launch