or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Best Buy to give away Galaxy Tabs as Apple seeks ban across all of EU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Buy to give away Galaxy Tabs as Apple seeks ban across all of EU

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Best Buy this weekend will kick-off an aggressive promo that offers a free Galaxy Tab 10.1 to buyers of certain HDTVs, possibly hinting that yet another iPad rival is in need of a stimulus to combat poor sales, assuming Samsung can keep it on the market.

The offer, which starts August 21 and runs through August 27, promises a free, 16GB Wi-Fi version of the Android tablet to any customer who purchases a 46-inch or 55-inch, LED-lit 3D TV worth $1,500 or $2,000.

Electronista notes that the deal isn't as drastic as the $100 TouchPad price drop that lasted a week before HP on Thursday ultimately waved the white flag in defeat, but is nonetheless unusual for a $500 device that's been on the market for just a few weeks.

As the nation's largest specialty electronics retailer, Best Buy has been placing big bets on sales of tablet devices following the success of the iPad but hasn't seen the reception it was expecting for some of the non-Apple devices.

For instance, a report from earlier this week noted that big-box retailer took delivery of 270,000 HP TouchPads and but only managed to sell 25,000 units, or less than 10 percent of its inventory. A $100 price cut on the 9.7-inch devices did little to spur demand, with one analyst vouching his belief that the discount actually backfired by prompting customers to wait for further savings.

Disgruntled over the matter, Best Buy reportedly refused to pay for the remaining tablets and asked that HP take them back. But after pleading with the retailer to be patient, HP shocked the tech world on Thursday when it announced plans to scrap the TouchPad and all of its existing and future webOS devices entirely, essentially conceding the tablet market to Apple.

As part of the restructuring, HP said it would take a $.05 charge per share to account for the stockpile of unsold TouchPad, which, given the company's 2.07 billion outstanding shares, amounts to just over $100 million.



The discontinuation of its mobile device initiative is part of a broader move that may see HP exit the hardware business entirely, likely spinning off its low-margin PC business as part of a shift in strategy that will see it challenge IBM on the software and services front rather than battle Apple on its highly-profitable hardware sales.

For its part, Samsung is not only challenged with making its Galaxy Tabs appear as viable alternatives to the iPad, it's also fighting Apple to keep the devices on the market. Following a series of patent infringement lawsuits filed by Apple, a German court last week barred the sale of the Galaxy Tab across all of Europe, except for the Netherlands, where a separate complaint was pending.

Although the ban was partially suspended by a judge earlier this week, the separate suit filed in the Netherlands was revealed Friday to have Apple seeking an injunction banning Samsung's entire Galaxy series throughout the European Union. This reportedly includes both smartphones -- the Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S and Galaxy SII -- as well as tablets: the Galaxy Tab 7 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.

As part of the complaint, Apple is demanding that Samsung and its subsidiaries send a "letter of request" to all their European clients, ordering them to recall all of the infringing stock "within 14 days" and offer compensation of the purchase price as well as transportation costs.
post #2 of 71
Sort of like when Apple was giving away a free iPod Touch (and now an iTV) with the purchase of a Mac "possibly hinting... need of a stimulus to combat poor sales" \

As for the rest of this 'article', my position has always been that the chances of someone walking into an electronics store and purchasing a Samsung Galaxy device somehow thinking it was an Apple product are nearly infinitesimal, if for no other reason than the fact that the device is clearly labeled SAMSUNG on its surface, start-up screen, and packaging, in addition to running a completely different operating system.

Actions such as these should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #3 of 71



Why a picture of an iPad in a story about a Samsung product?
post #4 of 71
No other tablets are selling much at all. 94.5% of people want iPads, according to that newest survey.

I'm not surprised that they now are attempting to give away free Galaxy Tabs with the purchase of certain TV's.
post #5 of 71
"Disgruntled over the matter, Best Buy reportedly refused to pay for the remaining tablets"

Whenever I hear about someone who's disgruntled, I wonder why I never hear about anyone who's been gruntled. I'm not entirely kidding - 'gruntled' is a real word. But you never hear of anyone getting their gruntle on - only losing it.

Something must be done about this. I'm doing my part.
post #6 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For its part, Samsung is not only challenged with making its Galaxy Tabs appear as viable alternatives to the iPad, it's also fighting Apple to keep the devices on the market. . .

Although the ban was partially suspended by a judge earlier this week, the separate suit filed in the Netherlands was revealed Friday to have Apple seeking an injunction banning Samsung's entire Galaxy series throughout the European Union. This reportedly includes both smartphones -- the Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S and Galaxy SII -- as well as tablets: the Galaxy Tab 7 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.

And again faking images to make the Galaxy S phones appear as identical to the iPhone as possible. If Apple is so convinced that Samsung smartphones are "copies" of their iPhone, why manipulate images to convince a court to agree? At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/d...awsuit-filing/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #7 of 71
The most frequent question will be which TV do I have to buy to get an iPad. Second will be, can I just get a discount instead of a Tab I don't want. Third, can you throw this away for me.
post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And again faking images to make the Galaxy S phones appear as identical to the iPhone as possible. If Apple is so convinced that Samsung smartphones are "copies" of their iPhone, why manipulate images to convince a court to agree? At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/d...awsuit-filing/

That's pretty much a non issue, and I doubt that anybody was trying to fool any judge, because the Judge has the actual devices in front of him to examine.
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"Disgruntled over the matter, Best Buy reportedly refused to pay for the remaining tablets"

Whenever I hear about someone who's disgruntled, I wonder why I never hear about anyone who's been gruntled. I'm not entirely kidding - 'gruntled' is a real word. But you never hear of anyone getting their gruntle on - only losing it.

Something must be done about this. I'm doing my part.

Best post here in a while.

I'm going to start using the word 'gruntled' when I am pleased with something.
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's pretty much a non issue, and I doubt that anybody was trying to fool any judge, because the Judge has the actual devices in front of him to examine.

The German judge didn't. I know it seems like common sense that the judge would have physical samples to examine, but he did not. There's no indication that the Dutch court has actual sample devices to physically examine either.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And again faking images to make the Galaxy S phones appear as identical to the iPhone as possible. If Apple is so convinced that Samsung smartphones are "copies" of their iPhone, why manipulate images to convince a court to agree? At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/d...awsuit-filing/

And you think the judge couldn't request to see the actual product because?
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sort of like when Apple was giving away a free iPod Touch (and now an iTV) with the purchase of a Mac "possibly hinting... need of a stimulus to combat poor sales" \

As for the rest of this 'article', my position has always been that the chances of someone walking into an electronics store and purchasing a Samsung Galaxy device somehow thinking it was an Apple product are nearly infinitesimal, if for no other reason than the fact that the device is clearly labeled SAMSUNG on its surface, start-up screen, and packaging, in addition to running a completely different operating system.

Actions such as these should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise.


Using this standard, all KIRF manufacturers from China should be able to freely market their products as long as they don't use names such as iiPhone, Nookia, Arpple. After all, they would then be clearly labeled as another brand, look different when you start it up, packaged differently, and most certainly running a different OS.
post #13 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

Best post here in a while.

I'm going to start using the word 'gruntled' when I am pleased with something.

I've never thought of it that way. LOLOLOLOL I hope you don't mind if I use that one for the sake of humor. I love it.
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The German judge didn't. I know it seems like common sense that the judge would have physical samples to examine, but he did not. There's no indication that the Dutch court has actual sample devices to physically examine either.

The reason I wrote what I wrote is because I was just reading something yesterday where it stated that the judge had access to the actual devices. If it wasn't the German judge like you say then it must have been the Dutch judge I assume. I don't remember where I read that info, but I'll post the link if I find it.
post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... my position has always been that the chances of someone walking into an electronics store and purchasing a Samsung Galaxy device somehow thinking it was an Apple product are nearly infinitesimal, if for no other reason than the fact that the device is clearly labeled SAMSUNG on its surface, start-up screen, and packaging, in addition to running a completely different operating system.

Actions such as these should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise.

The point is not that someone will 'accidentally' buy a Samsung but that IP and first mover innovation has value and as such the owner needs to protect it. Samsung, and Google should be able to compete freely and fairly but the point at which they cross the line and copy rather than innovate something has to be done. I am not sure where that line goes but consider for a moment what the landscape was like before IOS.

At which point do you think that protecting your IP becomes anti-competitive? Is there a point at which Apple, in your opinion, rightfully can say 'wait a minute - you're just copying us', and try to prevent that?
post #16 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And again faking images to make the Galaxy S phones appear as identical to the iPhone as possible. If Apple is so convinced that Samsung smartphones are "copies" of their iPhone, why manipulate images to convince a court to agree? At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/d...awsuit-filing/

It was one image where the aspect was changed and the device looked like the Apple product. There were 15 other images AND actual product in the hands of the judge. You really need to get over this. There is only incompetence here with one image not some vast conspiracy to deceive and defraud a judge.

I suppose you subscribe to the idea that if you repeat something enough it eventually becomes true...

But if it helps you sleep at night keep doin' this thing that you do....
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

Best post here in a while.

I'm going to start using the word 'gruntled' when I am pleased with something.

Thank you. I want you to know, I'm feeling quite gruntled right now.
post #18 of 71
Are you allowed to return merchandise that you're given for free?
Face it Best Buy, you're stuck with that crap.
post #19 of 71
I joked BestBuy would give them away only yesterday!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The German judge didn't. I know it seems like common sense that the judge would have physical samples to examine, but he did not. There's no indication that the Dutch court has actual sample devices to physically examine either.

I found it......

Furthermore, there has been an accusation that Apple's German lawyers doctored evidence submitted to the court to purposefully make the Galaxy Tab 10.1 appear more like the iPad than it really does. However, BBC News noted that the judge examined examples of both devices instead of relying strictly on Apple's legal briefs or Samsung's preemptive filing. A hearing is scheduled for August 25.

So, according to that, the BBC notes that the judge examined both devices and didn't just look at a few pictures.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-smackdown.ars
post #21 of 71
Partial quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sort of like when Apple was giving away a free iPod Touch (and now an iTV) with the purchase of a Mac "possibly hinting... need of a stimulus to combat poor sales" \

A free Apple TV or iPod is at least a current and supported product. Hopefully BestBuy will keep enough back to swap out for the next few years as they fail.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #22 of 71
I'll take a Galaxy Tab or an HP at a major discount any day. Gonna have to be less than $200 though. Otherwise, I'll just go get the iPad. I'm sure those devices work quite well. Their problem is that they are essentially duplicates of a product (the iPad) that has been made virtually perfect, positioned virtually perfect, and market virtually perfect.

Steve Jobs is a genius. He is to consumer electronics what Einstein was to mathematics. He just gets it on a deeply innate level. He sees it all very clearly.
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And again faking images to make the Galaxy S phones appear as identical to the iPhone as possible. If Apple is so convinced that Samsung smartphones are "copies" of their iPhone, why manipulate images to convince a court to agree? At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/d...awsuit-filing/

Want some more straws to grasp at?
Yes, the picture in question was a silly move. But it was simply one of MANY comparative pictures provided in the filing, all of which made the point perfectly well of flat out copying.

Still, feel free to look ignorant.
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The reason I wrote what I wrote is because I was just reading something yesterday where it stated that the judge had access to the actual devices. If it wasn't the German judge like you say then it must have been the Dutch judge I assume. I don't remember where I read that info, but I'll post the link if I find it.

The judge did have access to many other pictures from the filing itself that were perfectly accurate. The one picture was a lame move, but essentially irrelevant.
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

.....
Actions such as these should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise.

All things should be free to those who desire them?????? Your motto? :-)

Did you ever get a ticket for speeding? How unfair. One should get free gas and be able to drive as fast as one wants... Right?

Just a thought,
en
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Furthermore, there has been an accusation that Apple's German lawyers doctored evidence submitted to the court to purposefully make the Galaxy Tab 10.1 appear more like the iPad than it really does. However, BBC News noted that the judge examined examples of both devices instead of relying strictly on Apple's legal briefs or Samsung's preemptive filing. A hearing is scheduled for August 25.

So, according to that, the BBC notes that the judge examined both devices and didn't just look at a few pictures.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-smackdown.ars

They all believed the judge granted Apple ban because of one picture in the entire document. I'm not sure how one link, or even a hundred links, could change their mind.
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Thank you. I want you to know, I'm feeling quite gruntled right now.

Gruntle: 1. To utter a little or low grunt. Said of swine, occas. of other animals; rarely of persons.

2. To grumble, murmur, complain.

fromed from the verb `grunt

"Gruntled" as the opposite of disgruntled is merely a comical counterpoint, as disgruntled is a frequentative of grunt. (I should add: the 'dis' seems to be an intensifier here, not a reversal, as in disannul as opposed to disengage) First OED citation is from Wodehouse, if that is any indication.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I found it......

Furthermore, there has been an accusation that Apple's German lawyers doctored evidence submitted to the court to purposefully make the Galaxy Tab 10.1 appear more like the iPad than it really does. However, BBC News noted that the judge examined examples of both devices instead of relying strictly on Apple's legal briefs or Samsung's preemptive filing. A hearing is scheduled for August 25.

So, according to that, the BBC notes that the judge examined both devices and didn't just look at a few pictures.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-smackdown.ars

So common sense does win out. BTW. the Dutch judge may have examined real devices. The German judge did not.

That makes Apple's manipulation of the images less of an issue in the Dutch Court. Still a somewhat dishonest piece of evidence submitted by Apple's counsel.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #29 of 71
<rant>

I'm so tired of all these commercials promising free this and free that.

It is NOT free if I have to do something to get it. If it's free it's free...right? If I have to buy a TV to get this piece of crap it's not free. There is also no free delivery.

Where I come from, Sweden, it's actually illegal to use the word free in marketing if it isn't free, really free. In this the land, the great outpost for the free world, the definition is lost...

</end rant>

/Mikael
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So common sense does win out. BTW. the Dutch judge may have examined real devices. The German judge did not.

The BBC disagrees with you. Do have evidence to the contrary? What I posted is about the German court case, not the Dutch case. The hearing on Aug 25 is in the German court.

It is understood that the judge involved in the German case made his ruling based on a physical examination of the two tablets, rather than relying Apple's paper submission alone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14542200
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Electronista notes that the deal isn't as drastic as the $100 TouchPad price drop that lasted a week before HP on Thursday ultimately waved the white flag in defeat, but is nonetheless unusual for a $500 device that's been on the market for just a few weeks.

Is no one able to do math any more?

The Touchpad went from $499 to $399 (a 20% drop) or from $599 to $499 (a 17% drop).

Giving away a $500 on a $1500 TV purchase is a 25% discount. Even if you buy a $2,000 TV, it's a 20% discount.

So why does Electronista say it's not as drastic as the HP price drop - and why does AI simply repeat everything they read without any critical thinking?

OK, we know the answer to the latter part of that question.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Partial quote



A free Apple TV or iPod is at least a current and supported product. Hopefully BestBuy will keep enough back to swap out for the next few years as they fail.

My brother got a free ipod with his macbook pro purchase last summer. the ipod they gave him is old enough that it can't actually run most if iOS4. (just has folders, so comparable to 3g? version instead of 3GS) not really current.

Furthermore, The Galaxy Tab is current, and if the customer gets their black tie, it's a good bet they will have plenty left around. But then again, there's not too many cases of a galaxy tab "failing". Mine's been basically flawless since I picked it up on launch day.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

If you weren't mislead, why do you think the judge would be?
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Is no one able to do math any more?

The Touchpad went from $499 to $399 (a 20% drop) or from $599 to $499 (a 17% drop).

Giving away a $500 on a $1500 TV purchase is a 25% discount. Even if you buy a $2,000 TV, it's a 20% discount.

So why does Electronista say it's not as drastic as the HP price drop - and why does AI simply repeat everything they read without any critical thinking?

OK, we know the answer to the latter part of that question.

The drop isn't as drastic because the Tab isn't dropping in price any, it's a bundled discount. Best buy's TV's are more expensive than you can get elsewhere (more often than not) and they'll use this promotion to push people from getting a 2D TV up to a 3d, meaning spending more money. Also, more often than not, the user will put it on their credit card (which best buy pushes whenever you come in the store) meaning that Not only does best buy have the High Markup on the device, but also interest on the TV to easily cover the cost of the tab.
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


As for the rest of this 'article', my position has always been that ......

..... that you have no legal expertise whatsoever.
post #36 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Gruntle: 1. To utter a little or low grunt. Said of swine, occas. of other animals; rarely of persons.

2. To grumble, murmur, complain.

fromed from the verb `grunt

"Gruntled" as the opposite of disgruntled is merely a comical counterpoint, as disgruntled is a frequentative of grunt. (I should add: the 'dis' seems to be an intensifier here, not a reversal, as in disannul as opposed to disengage) First OED citation is from Wodehouse, if that is any indication.

Apple's online dictionary (the one you can access with a Control-click) does not acknowledge the word 'gruntle'.

The same dictionary DOES however, acknowledge 'gruntled' in this manner:

adjective humorous pleased, satisfied, and contented. ORIGIN 1930s: back-formation from disgruntled.

To be sure, it's origin is a comical counterpoint, but it is nevertheless a legitimate word.

Apple's built-in dictionary uses the Oxford American Dictionary, Wikipedia, and other sources.
post #37 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"Disgruntled over the matter, Best Buy reportedly refused to pay for the remaining tablets"

Whenever I hear about someone who's disgruntled, I wonder why I never hear about anyone who's been gruntled. I'm not entirely kidding - 'gruntled' is a real word. But you never hear of anyone getting their gruntle on - only losing it.

Something must be done about this. I'm doing my part.

I was gruntled to find out that a quick three finger double tab revealed that gruntled means "please, satisfied, and contented".
post #38 of 71
I'm on the side that's surprised that the now written-down HP tablets aren't in the promotion instead. They might get a considerable discount now that product is down for the count.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm on the side that's surprised that the now written-down HP tablets aren't in the promotion instead. They might get a considerable discount now that product is down for the count.

Probably because you get a Samsung Tablet if you buy a Samsung TV. The article here doesn't mention that, but I think the offer only applies to certain Samsung 3D TV's.
post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Probably because you get a Samsung Tablet if you buy a Samsung TV. The article here doesn't mention that, but I think the offer only applies to certain Samsung 3D TV's.

Correct. And the offer is only good for the next week.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Best Buy to give away Galaxy Tabs as Apple seeks ban across all of EU
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Best Buy to give away Galaxy Tabs as Apple seeks ban across all of EU