or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside iOS 5: Update apps in place within iOS App Store

Inside iOS 5: Update apps in place within iOS App Store

post #1 of 32
Apple has consistently improved the experience of updating apps on iOS devices, and iOS 5 beta 6 sports a new example of this: you can now update individual apps from the App Store without being booted out to the Home page to watch an animated progress bar.

After navigating to app that needs to be updated within the App Store Updates page, simply clicking the Update button will now result in the app being updated behind the scenes. Once finished, the button will convert into an Installed label.

This process also works from the Purchased list, which lists all apps you have ever bought from the App Store. Apps that are not installed are listed with an iCloud icon that enables you to "install from the cloud," and previously installed apps are listed as such.

However, apps that have a pending update are now given the same Update button, and clicking it will similarly update the app in the background, without dropping the user out of the App Store.

Users can still opt to bring all their apps up to date by clicking on the Update All button, which does return the user to the Home screen, where each app update in installed in sequence.
post #2 of 32
That's an improvement, but I don't think it should ever force you out to the home screen. There's no reason to do it since you can't immediately open any of the updated apps. On top of that, once I go into the app store, I like to browse a little. So every time I update apps, I immediately go back into the app store to look around.
post #3 of 32
much better.

can't wait for iOS 5. Hurry up guys.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #4 of 32
What about apps that you purchase for the first time? I don't think the article addressed that. When I purchase an app, iOS kicks me back to the homepage. Then I have to go back into the App Store to browse for other apps. Very annoying.
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

What about apps that you purchase for the first time? I don't think the article addressed that. When I purchase an app, iOS kicks me back to the homepage. Then I have to go back into the App Store to browse for other apps. Very annoying.

Unless you actually intended to start using that app right away, for this, being transported to right homescreen is a big help (otherwise you might have to swipe through multiple homepages to find the app).
I would not be able to tell what the majority of users would prefer (continue browsing the app store or start using the app), so without any data anything you or I say is just personal preference.
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

Hurry up guys.

No, guys, get it right. Fewer bugs than the Lion launch is the goal here.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #7 of 32
My iPad isn't exhibiting this behaviour. I get booted to the home screen on iOS5b6
post #8 of 32
I'm a complete Apple fan boy. But really? Now they have an install system equivalent to Google Android. Wow. I'm underwhelmed.
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post

I'm a complete Apple fan boy. But really? Now they have an install system equivalent to Google Android. Wow. I'm underwhelmed.

??? It's a better way to get the process done. Software Update doesn't force you to sit there and watch the progress bar, Windows Update doesn't, Linux doesn't. This is just a step in the right direction of becoming more of a desktop-caliber OS, not aping Android, at least IMO.
post #10 of 32
Someone needs to learn how to write headlines. I clicked through simply to post this, because it's getting out of hand.
post #11 of 32
That is how it works in the Android Market..... nice update....
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post

My iPad isn't exhibiting this behaviour. I get booted to the home screen on iOS5b6

Anyone have the issue where your iPad will not updated connected, "Sync Failed due to Time Out". However, syncing over wifi works fine?

Just curious...
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

That is how it works in the Android Market..... nice update....

And this was Android before the iPhone was announced.

Game, set, match.

post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebbert View Post

That's an improvement, but I don't think it should ever force you out to the home screen. There's no reason to do it since you can't immediately open any of the updated apps. On top of that, once I go into the app store, I like to browse a little. So every time I update apps, I immediately go back into the app store to look around.

what really bugs me about it is when you go back to the app store, you lose your place (if you were looking at, say, page 5 of some section), or you are on apps 50-75 of the "top" sections.
post #15 of 32
Yeah this totally didn't work on my iPhone with beta 6.
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

...or you are on apps 50-75 of the "top" sections.

Here's the part where I rant about how we not only need subcategories, but subcategories of subcategories for the categories in the App Store right now.

Because it's complete nonsense. Hit Games. "Okay, here are all the games." Okay, what about [genre] games? "Uh, here are all the games."

Okay, Utilities, then. "Okay, here are all the utilities."

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's the part where I rant about how we not only need subcategories, but subcategories of subcategories for the categories in the App Store right now.

Because it's complete nonsense. Hit Games. "Okay, here are all the games." Okay, what about [genre] games? "Uh, here are all the games."

I totally agree with you! When you look up a genre, you should get a tree, like a file tree. It's not hard to do in your program. However all of my programs work off of an OS. So the OS usually does it or supply's your App or program the information on how to do it.

Anyway, i'm happy the Weather Channel works correctly with the new Beta 6!

Is there a market for MMO on the iPad, or is that a dying breed? Would love your input on this. I haven't seen one yet. (I may have missed one).
post #18 of 32
Audio and video playback bug fixed (used to jump back a couple of seconds every few minutes)
Video now working in the BBC iPlayer app
All apps launching first time now, before they would sometimes crash on first launch.

Getting more solid as September approaches.
post #19 of 32
Quote:

I couldn't agree more!! And I would add, the experience searching e.g. a film in the iTunes store is also a rather frustrating experience. I don't understand, why Apple isn't looking into this properly. It's quite crucial and making the user experience fun and convenient is what they are usually good at. One very simple thing I really would like to have is something similar to the hide button in iphoto: simply click it and the film/app/etc will not be shown again in the future. How nice not to see all these films again in the iTunes list I never want to watch! And how much this could shorten this list over time! In addition - why isn't there an indication, which film I've rented before? Or why ant I indicate this with a simple click as well? iTunes and the app store are astonishingly rudimentary. Since years. No nice user experience here. I really don't know why. This doesn't seem difficult to improve.
post #20 of 32
Quote:

It would be nice if they labelled the apps correctly. Tetris is listed as an action game. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been an action game for the past 25 years so I see no reason to change it now unless they added a first-person shooter mode to it. It's a puzzle game.

They consider Doodle Jump to be an adventure game. I don't really know how much of an adventure you can really have jumping up ledges. It's an arcade game.

Angry Birds is top of the action games chart despite also not being an action game - it's an arcade game too.

It's a bit unfair to the developers of actual action games who aren't getting their deserved place in the charts and who are subsequently losing money because of this.

IMO, it's a very broken eco-system where the handset maker pretty much determines the success or failure of a software franchise.

It's good of them to improve the update feature but I think they need to fix the more pressing issues.
post #21 of 32
FINALLY! I am so happy about this. I am surprised it took so long for such an obvious thing

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #22 of 32
This feature was a long time coming.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #23 of 32
This feature does not exist in iOS5 beta 6.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffers4 View Post

This feature does not exist in iOS5 beta 6.

Indeed it does not - this article is out of date and non-relevant..
post #25 of 32
Quote:

And this was Android before the iPhone was announced.

Game, set, match.

So the fact that Android had an early development phase negates the fact that Apple is now copying features from it?

It is an interesting thought....
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

So the fact that Android had an early development phase negates the fact that Apple is now copying features from it?

It is an interesting thought....

I got an iPad from work. Have a Droid. Wish we had gotten Galaxy Tabs.

iOS is copying SO MUCH from Android at this point I can't think of anything this glaringly me-too since...Windows 95. My how the tables have turned. I can't believe the amount of stuff I can't do on iPad. I have been waiting to vent. I'll keep it only to this post, because this is such a joke that this "new" "feature" is so "Great". I'm floored at how much better Android is than iOS. I won't even go into the features. Except perahps the Back / Search/ Settings standard Android buttons which are great and so Mac-like. These make Android apps more discoverable and intuitive than iOS. And App Store..yikes. And I own AAPL and have a Color Classic. But at least Apple is smart. They're copying the good things from Android. Just like Google copied Apple initially. This will be an interesting show to watch, the Apple v MS v Google battle.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #27 of 32
Pro. They should have included the loading bar right on that screen though.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It would be nice if they labelled the apps correctly. Tetris is listed as an action game. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been an action game for the past 25 years so I see no reason to change it now unless they added a first-person shooter mode to it. It's a puzzle game.

They consider Doodle Jump to be an adventure game. I don't really know how much of an adventure you can really have jumping up ledges. It's an arcade game.

Angry Birds is top of the action games chart despite also not being an action game - it's an arcade game too.

It's a bit unfair to the developers of actual action games who aren't getting their deserved place in the charts and who are subsequently losing money because of this.

IMO, it's a very broken eco-system where the handset maker pretty much determines the success or failure of a software franchise.

It's good of them to improve the update feature but I think they need to fix the more pressing issues.

The developers set that, not Apple. If you look around, a few devs have posted about category placement and their sales, as almost all software can fit into more than one category. But yeah, that's not Apple's doing.
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

what really bugs me about it is when you go back to the app store, you lose your place (if you were looking at, say, page 5 of some section), or you are on apps 50-75 of the "top" sections.

Agreed. This is a very annoying bug, and one that should have been resolved over a year ago.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

iOS is copying SO MUCH from Android at this point I can't think of anything this glaringly me-too since...Windows 95. My how the tables have turned. I can't believe the amount of stuff I can't do on iPad. I'm floored at how much better Android is than iOS. I won't even go into the features.

Trouble is, if you don't go into any of the features, the statement is a bit empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFriar

The developers set that, not Apple. If you look around, a few devs have posted about category placement and their sales, as almost all software can fit into more than one category. But yeah, that's not Apple's doing.

That seems like a very bad idea to allow developers to choose their own category - it appears that developers get a choice of two categories but this is obviously open to abuse:

http://blog.appsperhaps.com/?p=272

Perhaps they should limit it to one category and only allow a second category on request and if an app is found in the incorrect category, it should be removed from the store for a month.
post #31 of 32
I wish Apple would enhance their Push Notification System by also counting down the number of apps that have been updated, the number of unread emails etc. If I read new mail on my Mac the iPhone and iPad retain the unread count until I open the app. That kinda... sucks. And must be easy to create, a Pull Notification System.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Trouble is, if you don't go into any of the features, the statement is a bit empty.

That seems like a very bad idea to allow developers to choose their own category - it appears that developers get a choice of two categories but this is obviously open to abuse:

http://blog.appsperhaps.com/?p=272

Perhaps they should limit it to one category and only allow a second category on request and if an app is found in the incorrect category, it should be removed from the store for a month.

The second category seems to have little impact.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside iOS 5: Update apps in place within iOS App Store