or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale - Page 5

post #161 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

This HP crash is a good lesson for Apple to learn about pricing. They will see just how fast items sell when the price is significantly lower. Apple won't drop prices below cost but they might change their mind about margins. In all things there is a point where dropping the price causes more sales that make up for the price drop in the overall profit scheme.

It would be good for all of us if Apple decided to do this with their products. They would get more overall income with lower prices. Their mind share would grow much faster and it would clobber even more of their competition.

That's not going to happen, nor is it the real lesson here.

The lesson for anyone smart is "if your product is not attractive enough, no one will buy it at a price high enough to cover your costs". Obviously, if you give something away, people are going to take it, but that would be an insanely stupid business strategy.

Apple can't make products fast enough to meet demand now - and none of the competitors are showing any chance of being a decent challenge. Why should they cut the price?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #162 of 242
Those unfortunates who forked over big bucks to Best Buy in July for HP TouchPads don't have to feel they've been completely screwed. Best Buy has extended its refund/exchange policy on TouchPads from 14 days to 60 days.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer...at250800050019

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #163 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

... and both bands loved Buddy Holly and were heavily influenced by him. I personally feel he is the strongest bridge between them and their main influences which you accurately describe.


Interesting. I'll have to find out more. I know a lot more about the Sun guys, like Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and other early rockabilly artists. Buddy Holly is an artist I have yet to explore deeply.

But if you like Buddy Holly, from my cursory knowledge of him, my guess is that you'd like Carl Perkins too. He's one of the greats. How do you feel about Johnny Burnett's early stuff?
post #164 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not going to happen, nor is it the real lesson here.

The lesson for anyone smart is "if your product is not attractive enough, no one will buy it at a price high enough to cover your costs". Obviously, if you give something away, people are going to take it, but that would be an insanely stupid business strategy.

Apple can't make products fast enough to meet demand now - and none of the competitors are showing any chance of being a decent challenge. Why should they cut the price?


Agreed, how in the hell is HP taking $100,000,000 write off on a POS craptablet teaching Apple anything?

It reinforces what Apple's been doing all along, build a better mousetrap and sell the crap out of it, try not to break your back lifting the giant bags of money earned...

Quote:
[Gizmodo:

But for every detail that Palm gets right—the re-sizable keyboard that’s pretty nice to type on—it blows something else, like not having a double-tap spacebar shortcut for periods, or the lengthy, complicated mounting process to get your music on there. …

There are critical apps in beta form, like Kindle and some surprises, like Facebook. … It’s funny that the TouchPad is the third tablet platform to run Flash, and it’s also the third tablet on which Flash runs like garbage.

The Messages app was a consistent bag of hurt, refusing to sign on at all sometimes, or to deliver AIM messages, even though I kept receiving them. Email contents wouldn’t show up, often up to 10 seconds after I opened a message. The HP app to get music onto your TouchPad is loathesome—pure HP, and sweet Christ I hope it’s not a sign of things to come for Palm. (Speaking of: Where’s the cloud music?) And there are so many more little problems throughout (ugh, Skype).

Josh Topolsky:

Presses to buttons on the screen would go unanswered, applications would suddenly pause, lists I was scrolling moved intermittently and erratically (or would just disappear altogether). Sometimes the device felt smooth and light, while at other moments it locked up or sputtered to a point of complete aggravation. More than once I had the entire system freeze and then reboot while I was in the midst of navigating (or trying to navigate) my way out of some weird UI fender bender. All across the OS I found myself discovering dark corners of unfinished or untested chunks of the UI, like when I would use the upward swipe gesture to bring up the launcher, and accidentally open an app instead.

And it wasn’t just about speed or smoothness. The new virtual keyboard provided here — while very capable at times — would often not respond or respond slowly to key presses, making for messy emails and messages. …

Skype, while integrated into the core of the OS for calls (more on this below), was generally buggy, frozen, unable to connect, or just downright awkward to use. Rotation on the device was a pain too, as it would often change direction unexpectedly, or alternately fail to respond to orientation shifts when it was asked.

Walt Mossberg:

[On] various occasions, the email app failed to display the contents of messages, the photos app failed to display pictures, and the game “Angry Birds” crashed repeatedly. All of these problems required a reboot of the device to resolve. In addition, I found the TouchPad grew sluggish the more I used it. Again, a reboot was needed to restore normal speed. …

The Web browser generally worked well, but Flash was uneven. Most Flash videos played fine, but some froze or stuttered badly, even on a fast Internet connection. A site written entirely in Flash wouldn’t even load.

Harry McCracken:

In my trials, the TouchPad too often just didn’t work. A few examples:

Music playback didn’t always begin the moment I pressed play, and sometimes stammered mid-song;
A 1080p movie that looked dynamite on the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 wouldn’t play at all on the TouchPad;
The tablet thoughtfully discovered and configured the HP printer that sits on my network. But whenever I tried to print, it told me that my OfficeJet was incompatible.
The TouchPad was at its shakiest when I crammed its RAM with a bountiful supply of apps, Web pages, and other items. Like an overtaxed Windows 98 computer, it would crack under the pressure, rendering screens incompletely, ignoring my input, and (on one occasion) spontaneously rebooting. Closing a few programs restored it to good working order. I know that it’s possible to build a tablet that doesn’t freak out when it’s short on memory, though — because I’ve never seen an iPad or Honeycomb tablet do it.
post #165 of 242
This: http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTER...sAAAExQ1cRE3Kg

Will get you this when reviewing your Cart:

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03e9'

Out of memory

/LM/W3SVC/600510919/Root/dstore/global.asa, line 0
post #166 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I probably shouldn't have said it as it just gets people riled up but you are wrong.

I was there. In England, as it happened.

Both groups started off doing a lot of covers but with some original songs. The Stones came to the Beatles to get them to write some original songs for them as they were having trouble selling their own even though they were already successful with the covers as you note. The Stones bought songs off of the Beatles when the Beatles already had copious amounts of original material.

I'm not claiming that the Stones were an outgrowth of the Beatles or were heavily influenced by them but the Beatles were definitely doing their own original material before the Stones and the Stones definitely bought some of their early material off of Lennon and McCartney before they got good at writing their own stuff. There's nothing wrong with that, it's how things were and it's how a group learns to write. But it did happen that way.

Releasing "I Wanna Be Your Man" hardly justifies your prior statement, which was "Mick and the boys got their start by copying the Beatles."

And the Stones, at that time, were NOT "already successful with the covers", as you say above. I Wanna be Your Man was their second single release.

I take it that you are not a Professor of musicology.
post #167 of 242
I saw the news on AI last night and headed out this morning to see if I could find one for sale. Wal-Mart and Office Depot were both sold out by 9:45 this morning, Best Buy opened at 10 and said they couldn't sell because all stock was going back. I then tried Staples. Only the young guy behind the tech support counter had heard about the price drop, but when I showed the guy who seemed to be in charge the printout from HP's website, he took to the office, came back and sold it to me at the lower price. The tech support guy got the other one.

I want an iPad, but don't need an iPad. I would never have bought any competing tablet. But at $99, I just got myself a backlit Kindle that can also surf the net. I'm pleased with that.
post #168 of 242
They've been pulled in Australia.

The HP site links to a retailer (with exclusive rights to sell) who has a "page not found" error
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #169 of 242
HP stated Friday it is taking a $100 Million loss on the TouchPad units. They cannot allow Best Buy to then go out and resell them.
post #170 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

HP stated Friday it is taking a $100 Million loss on the TouchPad units. They cannot allow Best Buy to then go out and resell them.

Why do people insist on making fools of themselves online by posting about subjects they know nothing about?

The two issues (HP's write down and Best Buy's ability to sell them) are entirely unrelated. For example, let's say there were 250,000 units out there and HP reduced the price an average of $400 each. The retailer could still sell them (obviously at a much lower price) and HP would have a $100 M write-off.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #171 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why do people insist on making fools of themselves online by posting about subjects they know nothing about?

Geez, take it easy! It's just a forum where we're just shooting the shit, no big deal! It's not like its the HP executive board room or anything
post #172 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Geez, take it easy! It's just a forum where we're just shooting the shit, no big deal! It's not like its the HP executive board room or anything

Sorry, but I happen to believe that people should keep their mouths shut when they don't know anything about a topic. Not only does it confuse innocent people who are smart enough to keep their mouths shut, but it wastes the time of people who DO know what's going on.

But feel free to parade your stupidity if you wish.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #173 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They've been pulled in Australia.

The HP site links to a retailer (with exclusive rights to sell) who has a "page not found" error

Nice! They were in such a rush they didn't even bother to put a "dear John" page.
post #174 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Geez, take it easy! It's just a forum where we're just shooting the shit, no big deal! It's not like its the HP executive board room or anything

People are fooling themselves if they come to a forum thinking it's a court of law. Rules of evidence are a "little" looser in the courtroom.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #175 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but I happen to believe that people should keep their mouths shut when they don't know anything about a topic. Not only does it confuse innocent people who are smart enough to keep their mouths shut, but it wastes the time of people who DO know what's going on.

But feel free to parade your stupidity if you wish.

What??!! There are people on here that know what's going on??!! Har!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #176 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but I happen to believe that people should keep their mouths shut when they don't know anything about a topic. Not only does it confuse innocent people who are smart enough to keep their mouths shut, but it wastes the time of people who DO know what's going on.

But feel free to parade your stupidity if you wish.

Why thank you great wizard for allowing me to parade my stupidity. Very kind of you
post #177 of 242
HP is STILL running TV commercials at this moment that promote "HP Touchpads starting at $399"

What a collection of idiots.

At least change the copy... "PC division for sale". Or "potential mobile OS for sale, cheap"
post #178 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What??!! There are people on here that know what's going on??!! Har!

My magic iBall says " don't count on it"
post #179 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmac View Post

This: http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTER...sAAAExQ1cRE3Kg

Will get you this when reviewing your Cart:

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03e9'

Out of memory

/LM/W3SVC/600510919/Root/dstore/global.asa, line 0

I've been trying for about an hour (using Safari, Firefox and IE on a Mac and a Windows PC). If you keep trying, eventually, it show you the basket. Then, if you click on 'order', it will take you to the next step (sometimes). But I haven't been able to get past that step.

It's very erratic and each step of the way fails about 90-95% of the time and occasionally works. I called HP and they said that's normal behavior for an item that's not in stock. WTF? Instead of telling you it's not in stock (as the home and home business site does), the small and medium business site acts erratically - sometimes showing you a basket and sometimes not, sometimes hanging, sometimes giving the above error. I can understand it being out of stock. I can even understand if the load is so extremely heavy that it might behave erratically. But for HP to say that's normal behavior is absurd.

No wonder these people can't even make a tablet that they can get a fair price for. It's amazing they manage to do anything.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #180 of 242
If I can manage to actually get ahold of one at this price, I'll snap it up. I seldom take my iPad anywhere for fear it might get damaged/lost/stolen. For $99, the touchpad would make a great eReader that I won't be afraid to have near water, in the sun, near sand, etc. The fact that it can also do anything else (no matter how poorly) is just a nice bonus, and end-of-life/no-support is no big deal for a device that cheap.
post #181 of 242
I tried for about 10 minutes from OS X and got nowhere. I then tried Safari on my iPad and every couple of minutes I was able to advance a step until eventually I was able to buy one. Just keep hitting the reload icon. I did it through the small business site. I have an order number, but no email confirmation, so we'll see what happens.

I expect to use it as a wall-hanging log viewer, and maybe show the weather forecast. I'll probably flip it to Android if it gets ported.
post #182 of 242
I got online last night just before 1:00am Eastern after seeing this, and ordered a 32GB version and a ream of paper to qualify for a $30 coupon shortly before that model went out of stock on HP's site. It was stuck in the "Order Being Verified" status until a few minutes ago, so I was a bit worried that it would be cancelled based on the SlickDeals information. However, it just changed to "Item being processed" and the charge just hit my credit card, so it looks like it will be on its way. Net the cost of the paper (which I needed anyway), plus tax this worked out to just under $130 for the 32GB version. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, but for that price, I'm sure I'll find some use for it. If and when an Android port surfaces, all the better.

Now HP's website has a "notify me when product available again" button, so I'm guessing that they are waiting for the big shipments of returns to arrive from Best Buy, etc. Anyway, it was wild on SlickDeals. A retailer in NYC unloaded over 6,000 of them in just over 30 minutes on eBay.

MacMall has yet to lower the price on them (according to a poster on SlickDeals, they were waiting on authorization from management - perhaps tomorrow or Monday), so they may be the next best chance for people looking for them.
post #183 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

this is a savage price massacre on all those cheap-o Android tablets that suckers buy. they won't sell any of them until the TouchPad glut is cleared out. and the even higher end brands like Samsung will have to knock $50-$100 off their prices too just to keep some sales going. however poor those sales are (they never say). Samsung might finally bite the bullet and dump the million+ 7" Froyo Galaxy tabs still sitting in warehouses and stockrooms after almost a year for $99 too. this might be their last chance to get anything for them at all.

and RIM's PlayBook? well, they shoot horses, don't they?

a true market Bloodbath.

As was so predictable, if you can find the one that hasn't already been crated up and sent to some charitable cause in some other worldly country...I think the write down has more value than the wholesale price.....
post #184 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

And watching movies. At $99 these aren't a bad deal. But that's probably all they're worth.

I have an atari 2600 that goes really cheap, sorry no new software or support though...I think $99.00 is better spent in the app store........
post #185 of 242
I just went to my local Best Buy and was told when I asked - point blank - that all the HP TouchPads had been recalled by HP and that Best Buy could not sell any of them.

That is much more than "Out of Stock" that is "No! We will not sell them at all."

Why? Maybe because the return rate was through the roof? Well, I'm just as happy not having one that was going to be recalled.
post #186 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortlebow View Post

I just went to my local Best Buy and was told when I asked - point blank - that all the HP TouchPads had been recalled by HP and that Best Buy could not sell any of them.

I got a similar story here: Virtually all Touchpads were sent back to HP, the stock was already pretty much gone before the "sale" was announced.
post #187 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Interesting. I'll have to find out more. I know a lot more about the Sun guys, like Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and other early rockabilly artists. Buddy Holly is an artist I have yet to explore deeply.

But if you like Buddy Holly, from my cursory knowledge of him, my guess is that you'd like Carl Perkins too. He's one of the greats. How do you feel about Johnny Burnett's early stuff?

IMHO Buddy is one of the all time greats, I put him way above Elvis in real influence. Flames coming this way I bet! Lol. No, I am no Carl Perkins fan, although I understand he wrote Blue Suede Shoes.

Actually I'm too young to be an original fan of any of those guys but I had older siblings that played all that stuff and for me Buddy Holly and to some extent The Everly Bros. stood out. I was a kid in the early days of the Beatles and the Stones in England and as a teenager queued up several times for Stones tickets but alas the Beatles had long since stopped touring. Jagger was amazing live back then in the late 60s.

I must go back and read this entire thread, how did we get so far off topic? I'm sure jragosta will tell me.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #188 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but I happen to believe that people should keep their mouths shut when they don't know anything about a topic. Not only does it confuse innocent people who are smart enough to keep their mouths shut, but it wastes the time of people who DO know what's going on.

But feel free to parade your stupidity if you wish.

Should we all be lucky enough to be as smart as you.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #189 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Should we all be lucky enough to be as smart as you.

It really doesn't take that much intelligence to keep your mouth shut about things you know nothing about.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #190 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

I got online last night just before 1:00am Eastern after seeing this, and ordered a 32GB version and a ream of paper to qualify for a $30 coupon shortly before that model went out of stock on HP's site. It was stuck in the "Order Being Verified" status until a few minutes ago, so I was a bit worried that it would be cancelled based on the SlickDeals information. However, it just changed to "Item being processed" and the charge just hit my credit card, so it looks like it will be on its way. Net the cost of the paper (which I needed anyway), plus tax this worked out to just under $130 for the 32GB version. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, but for that price, I'm sure I'll find some use for it. If and when an Android port surfaces, all the better.

Now HP's website has a "notify me when product available again" button, so I'm guessing that they are waiting for the big shipments of returns to arrive from Best Buy, etc. Anyway, it was wild on SlickDeals. A retailer in NYC unloaded over 6,000 of them in just over 30 minutes on eBay.

MacMall has yet to lower the price on them (according to a poster on SlickDeals, they were waiting on authorization from management - perhaps tomorrow or Monday), so they may be the next best chance for people looking for them.

I just tried to order, but failed. I'll try once again in the morning. Initially, the web site says the shipping is free, but later on they are charging a minimum of $21.87 as shipping and handling charges. Is this an error or are they taking shipping charges from every body?
post #191 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It really doesn't take that much intelligence to keep your mouth shut about things you know nothing about.

I disagree. The more you know, the more you know you don't know but alas the reverse is also true.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #192 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I disagree. The more you know, the more you know you don't know but alas the reverse is also true.

What in the world does that have to do with anything? With even a modicum of intelligence, people would realize that they're talking out of their nether regions about things they don't understand.

A reasonably intelligent person would say "I don't know how that works, so I'll keep my mouth shut". The people here (the ones you are defending) take the position "I don't have any idea what I'm talking about but I'll shoot off my mouth as if I'm an expert and hope no one catches me".

Is that REALLY the attitude you want to be encouraging?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #193 of 242
The demise of the TouchPad is sad. The hardware was supposedly ready for the device when HP bought Palm, meaning it is year-old hardware. WebOS deserved better hardware. The OS is different and seems really easy to use. I've made my mind up, I'm going to try to snag one at RadioShack when the price drops.

This article says it all: http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/18/h...os-whats-next/

If HP was serious about the TouchPad, they could have made it into something. They weren't and its sad. If there is one thing that you can say about Apple and Microsoft, usually, they are always serious when they enter markets and such. Look at WP7(disclaimer: I have a Windows Phone and love it!), sales have been lackluster at best so far. But any developer wondering whether or not the platform will be around in a year has no worries. They have even been offering free phones and dev stuff to WebOS developers.

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply
post #194 of 242
I finally got mine ordered (a 32 and a 16). It does turn out that it works far better when ordering through an iOS device than a PC or Mac, but it still took hours.

Unfortunately, it did not give me free shipping as promised, nor would it accept any of the online coupons that should have worked - so I'll have to deal with HP customer service to try to get a credit.

We'll see if the order actually went through in a few days, I guess.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #195 of 242
This whole thing is sad. I think in reflection HP panicked.
post #196 of 242
Bono should have been passing these things out for free at concerts considering the HP bailed out Bono's Elevation Partners huge stake in Palm when it tanked a few years back.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #197 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What in the world does that have to do with anything? With even a modicum of intelligence, people would realize that they're talking out of their nether regions about things they don't understand.

A reasonably intelligent person would say "I don't know how that works, so I'll keep my mouth shut". The people here (the ones you are defending) take the position "I don't have any idea what I'm talking about but I'll shoot off my mouth as if I'm an expert and hope no one catches me".

Is that REALLY the attitude you want to be encouraging?

The point you make is fair, but keep in mind a couple of things:

- you don't have to be so abrasive with your fellow human beings. Social skills are also important, and being always "right" is a very lonely place to be.
- much of what's discussed here is very informal and I would certainly not use this forum as my source of accurate information. If everyone kept their mouth shut till they thoroughly researched the topic it would make for a very dull forum.

Again, I know what you're saying, about people talking out of their a$$es, but what i'm saying is, loosen up a bit.
post #198 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I finally got mine ordered (a 32 and a 16). It does turn out that it works far better when ordering through an iOS device than a PC or Mac, but it still took hours.

Unfortunately, it did not give me free shipping as promised, nor would it accept any of the online coupons that should have worked - so I'll have to deal with HP customer service to try to get a credit.

We'll see if the order actually went through in a few days, I guess.

They do say free shipping for items over $45, but I wonder if they have a fine print paragraph excluding fire-sale items.
post #199 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post


Now HP's website has a "notify me when product available again" button, so I'm guessing that they are waiting for the big shipments of returns to arrive from Best Buy, etc.

Really? All I see is "Please check back soon"

I thought I wouldn't get one but I'm going to try to put android on it, assuming I can even get one.
post #200 of 242
I had ordered Friday night, got hit with the charge yesterday morning, and no email from HP yet.

Ordered the 32GB using the slickdeals instructions.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale