or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale - Page 6

post #201 of 242
I'm happy for those that can get to play with it at the expense of corporate silliness. But it's kinda hilarious seeing the scramble for units. Desire is a strange beast, no?
post #202 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Really? All I see is "Please check back soon"

I thought I wouldn't get one but I'm going to try to put android on it, assuming I can even get one.

Try this link to sign up for an e-mail notification.

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo...ilability.html



Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm happy for those that can get to play with it at the expense of corporate silliness. But it's kinda hilarious seeing the scramble for units. Desire is a strange beast, no?

It's an example of the "auction effect." HP is probably thinking now that it could have gotten a little bit more in the fire sale. I think the $99 price tag hit a psychological threshold, though, that $199 or even $149 for the 16GB would not have.
post #203 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

IMHO Buddy is one of the all time greats, I put him way above Elvis in real influence. Flames coming this way I bet! Lol. No, I am no Carl Perkins fan, although I understand he wrote Blue Suede Shoes.

He was a great writer, and his songs have been covered by lots and lots of bands, but IMO his guitar playing is also superb.

From Wikipedia: As a guitarist Perkins used: finger picking, imitations of the pedal steel guitar, right-handed damping (muffling strings near the bridge with the palm), arpeggios, advantageous use of open strings, single and double string bending (pushing strings across the neck to raise their pitch), chromaticism (using notes outside of the scale), country and blue licks, and tritone and other tonality clashing licks (short phrases that include notes from other keys and move in logical, often symmetric patterns).[20] A rich vocabulary of chords including sixth and thirteenth chords, ninth and add nine chords, and suspensions, show up in rhythm parts and solos. Free use of syncopations, chord anticipations (arriving at a chord change before the other players, often by a 1/8 note) and crosspicking (repeating a three 1/8 note pattern so that an accent falls variously on the upbeat or downbeat) are also in his bag of tricks.[50]



Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Actually I'm too young to be an original fan of any of those guys but I had older siblings that played all that stuff and for me Buddy Holly and to some extent The Everly Bros. stood out. I was a kid in the early days of the Beatles and the Stones in England and as a teenager queued up several times for Stones tickets but alas the Beatles had long since stopped touring. Jagger was amazing live back then in the late 60s.

I'm too young to even have older siblings that were fans. But I introduced my kid to Punkabilly (with Social Distortion), and he ran with it, introducing me to the classic artists of Rockabilly, who now amaze me with their lasting influence.

The first time I saw the Stones was their Steel Wheels tour, long after their peak, but I did manage to see them two nights in a row in the early '80's from in front of the front row, and Keith Richards was amazing to watch from 10 feet away. Much better than seeing him from the far end of a football field...
post #204 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

They do say free shipping for items over $45, but I wonder if they have a fine print paragraph excluding fire-sale items.

The main page also says that the Touchpad has free shipping. I saved a PDF of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

The point you make is fair, but keep in mind a couple of things:

- you don't have to be so abrasive with your fellow human beings. Social skills are also important, and being always "right" is a very lonely place to be.
- much of what's discussed here is very informal and I would certainly not use this forum as my source of accurate information. If everyone kept their mouth shut till they thoroughly researched the topic it would make for a very dull forum.

Sorry, but those are silly rationalizations. People are jabbering about things they have no concept of. NONE. They're not adding a thing to the conversation except lies and confusion.

There would still be plenty of conversation - people who DO know what they're talking about, people who know SOMETHING, but who aren't experts, people asking questions, people who actually research their answers before posting, and so on.

As far as 'abrasive', you don't have any idea what 'abrasive' is. "Shouldn't people learn something about a subject before posting' isn't abrasive. Besides, in most of the cases, I simply got tired of correcting the same people over and over because they've made a habit of posting unending streams of lies.

I never said I was always right. My position is that I don't discuss a topic unless I know something about it. That doesn't mean I never make a mistake - obviously I do and when I do, I admit it and learn something. THESE people don't care if they're right or not and feel like it's their right to spew the most ridiculous nonsense and if you point out their errors, they simply tell you that they have the right to post absolute falsehoods.

That is unacceptable to any thinking person.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #205 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

I had ordered Friday night, got hit with the charge yesterday morning, and no email from HP yet.

Ordered the 32GB using the slickdeals instructions.

Slickdeals was referring to buying from BestBuy. At the time you were posting, they still had 32 GB models. Both the 16 and 32 GB models are sold out this morning.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #206 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Try this link to sign up for an e-mail notification.

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo...ilability.html
.

Thank you so much! I just signed up.

Some eBay models are going for $300 already which is kind of silly
post #207 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The main page also says that the Touchpad has free shipping. I saved a PDF of it.



Sorry, but those are silly rationalizations. People are jabbering about things they have no concept of. NONE. They're not adding a thing to the conversation except lies and confusion.

There would still be plenty of conversation - people who DO know what they're talking about, people who know SOMETHING, but who aren't experts, people asking questions, people who actually research their answers before posting, and so on.

As far as 'abrasive', you don't have any idea what 'abrasive' is. "Shouldn't people learn something about a subject before posting' isn't abrasive. Besides, in most of the cases, I simply got tired of correcting the same people over and over because they've made a habit of posting unending streams of lies.

I never said I was always right. My position is that I don't discuss a topic unless I know something about it. That doesn't mean I never make a mistake - obviously I do and when I do, I admit it and learn something. THESE people don't care if they're right or not and feel like it's their right to spew the most ridiculous nonsense and if you point out their errors, they simply tell you that they have the right to post absolute falsehoods.

That is unacceptable to any thinking person.

Ok! . I was not trying to rationalize but to make a point that things are not always black and white. Well at least you call them as you seem them
post #208 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Thank you so much! I just signed up.

Some eBay models are going for $300 already which is kind of silly

Yeah, I wish I had bought a couple of extras.

Just went to HP's site. It's STILL not operating properly. They are showing 32 GB Touchpads as still being available, though.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #209 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, I wish I had bought a couple of extras.

Just went to HP's site. It's STILL not operating properly. They are showing 32 GB Touchpads as still being available, though.

Really? I haven't seen it available since yesterday.
post #210 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefangirl View Post

If I could get one where I am I'd definitely be buying. I can't justify an ipad but it would be nice to have a tablet.

You can't justify something usable but you can justify crap?

How can you justify that?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #211 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Really? I haven't seen it available since yesterday.

It's still showing 32 GB (although their ordering system is still messed up so good luck getting one). ETA: that's the small and medium business site. It hasn't been available on the home and home office site if that's where you're looking.

I ordered my 32 and 16 at 11:30 pm Central Time last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't justify something usable but you can justify crap?

How can you justify that?

Because there's a little thing called price.

Perhaps he can't justify spending $500 on an iPad, but he can justify spending $99 on a Touchpad? After all, if the Touchpad does even 1/4 what an iPad does, it may be worth that price to some people.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #212 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It really doesn't take that much intelligence to keep your mouth shut about things you know nothing about.

It just takes discipline.
post #213 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

The point you make is fair, but keep in mind a couple of things:

- you don't have to be so abrasive with your fellow human beings. Social skills are also important, and being always "right" is a very lonely place to be.
- much of what's discussed here is very informal and I would certainly not use this forum as my source of accurate information. If everyone kept their mouth shut till they thoroughly researched the topic it would make for a very dull forum.

Again, I know what you're saying, about people talking out of their a$$es, but what i'm saying is, loosen up a bit.

We all make mistakes, including him. To keep pounding your point of view after you're proven wrong is stupid, true, but even he is also guilty of that. My point... the vast majority of us are guilty of this at some point, so don't get bent out of shape if people are running off at the mouth... either just quit responding or say something funny.

Hell... for him to say that people should stop blabbering on about things they know nothing about is like me saying that...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #214 of 242
Did anyone in NYC pick up the touch pad from the Stores, today?
post #215 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Those unfortunates who forked over big bucks to Best Buy in July for HP TouchPads don't have to feel they've been completely screwed. Best Buy has extended its refund/exchange policy on TouchPads from 14 days to 60 days.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer...at250800050019

This link still works but the content has now changed. Here's how it reads as of the time of this post:

***

HP TouchPad Clearance
and Return Policy

Due to HP's decision to discontinue its TouchPad product, Best Buy® will now provide clearance pricing for all TouchPad 16GB & 32GB models (SKUs 2842056, 2842092) regardless of previously advertised prices or promotions.

Best Buy will not accept customer returns or exchanges on clearance-priced TouchPads bought through any Best Buy channel.

Customers purchasing a TouchPad at clearance pricing will have a 1-year manufacturer's warranty, fulfilled directly through HP, not Best Buy.

Customers who purchased the 16GB or 32GB TouchPad after June 19 may come into the store to get either a full refund or a refund of the difference between the price they paid and the clearance price.

Quantities are strictly limited. Limit 1 per customer. Best Buy cannot guarantee availability of inventory at this pricing at any particular Best Buy location or channel.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #216 of 242
One thing for sure - HP's precipitous withdrawal from tablets has resulted in a real "cluster flock" for retailers and advertising channels.

It's so disorganized that this morning CNN was still running an HP TouchPad commercial for the bargain price of $399.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #217 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

One thing for sure - HP's precipitous withdrawal from tablets has resulted in a real "cluster flock" for retailers and advertising channels.

It's so disorganized that this morning CNN was still running an HP TouchPad commercial for the bargain price of $399.

To be fair, those ads were probably purchased well in advance - and it might have cost more to change them at the last minute than it was worth.

Given today's rumor-rich environment, HP probably didn't want to tip anyone off to the changes in their PC division ahead of time so they probably continued buying ad space even though a few senior managers may have known that the division was being spun off - and the product discontinued.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #218 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

One thing for sure - HP's precipitous withdrawal from tablets has resulted in a real "cluster flock" for retailers and advertising channels.

It's so disorganized that this morning CNN was still running an HP TouchPad commercial for the bargain price of $399.

Maybe they should just have a black screen with white letters, "TouchPad, RIP" and then a minute of silence.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #219 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Slickdeals was referring to buying from BestBuy. At the time you were posting, they still had 32 GB models. Both the 16 and 32 GB models are sold out this morning.

Nope.

Ordered directly from HP

Received my order confirmation from HP this morning as well.

Will be shipping in 5-7 days
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #220 of 242
I saved $149 dollars by not buying this. This will allow me to bump up to a 64GB iPad 3 next year

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #221 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I saved $149 dollars by not buying this. This will allow me to bump up to a 64GB iPad 3 next year

I bought one for $99 that I'll sell on eBay for $200 - so I can bump up to a 64 GB iPad and save $100 doing it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #222 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaz View Post

I just tried to order, but failed. I'll try once again in the morning. Initially, the web site says the shipping is free, but later on they are charging a minimum of $21.87 as shipping and handling charges. Is this an error or are they taking shipping charges from every body?

I think the free shipping is just on the Home store. The Small Business store usually includes shipping. Anyway, I got my confirmation message from HP just a few minutes ago. It should ship sometime this week. I got free shipping and HP honored the $30 coupon, meaning I got the 32GB version and a ream of paper for just under $140 after NY sales tax.

Hopefully Box.Net will still honor the 50GB Cloud storage, but I'm not holding my breath, as it's normally $20/month. It doesn't include encryption (only the Enterprise version does - not even the business version), so if I get it, I'd probably use nowhere near 50GB of it.
post #223 of 242
MacMall just lowered their price a few minutes ago, too, but their site got hammered. I'm guessing that HP has managed to sell just about all the TouchPads produced (albeit at a loss of $200 apiece plus marketing). Too bad it's still only about a week's worth of iPad sales, otherwise there might be some incentive to write apps. It's amazing how this fire sale took on a life of its own, given how poorly it sold during 7 weeks on the market.
post #224 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's still showing 32 GB (although their ordering system is still messed up so good luck getting one). ETA: that's the small and medium business site. It hasn't been available on the home and home office site if that's where you're looking.

I ordered my 32 and 16 at 11:30 pm Central Time last night.
.

Yes that's so messed up! I'm getting SQL and vbs errors. LOL
post #225 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

MacMall just lowered their price a few minutes ago, too, but their site got hammered. I'm guessing that HP has managed to sell just about all the TouchPads produced (albeit at a loss of $200 apiece plus marketing). Too bad it's still only about a week's worth of iPad sales, otherwise there might be some incentive to write apps. It's amazing how this fire sale took on a life of its own, given how poorly it sold during 7 weeks on the market.

Yea, I went through the sale and once I confirmed the purchase is timed out! No email yet so I'm not sure it went through....oh well.
post #226 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post

Something is fishy. I ordered one online from Best Buy Canada at the $99 price, selected my store for pickup (delivery not available), everything went through fine, even gave my credit card info and secret password for my visa, got order number and confirmation, only to have Best Buy cancel the order about 10 minutes later.

So this is either bogus, a fishing attempt to gauge demand, or whoever said there were 250,000 Touchpads lying around is full of BS.

Not fishy at all. At $99 even I, an Apple lover, would have bought one. Wife owns our iPad2, this would at least give me something to read books. Also being a Palm lover while Palm supported their product, it fitted me. At $99 it's the best book reader out there, but too many very quickly thought the same.
Now lets see, which "not selling tablet" out there will be dumped next ?
post #227 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

One thing for sure - HP's precipitous withdrawal from tablets has resulted in a real "cluster flock" for retailers and advertising channels.

It's so disorganized that this morning CNN was still running an HP TouchPad commercial for the bargain price of $399.

I went over to Costco yesterday and they did not have them on display. I asked a clerk if they had any left. His reply was that they had just moved them all to the back storage and were going to send them all back to HP. He then said Costco management didn't want any part of the pending "Cluster Flock" that will come of things like mine has a scratch and I want to replace it or honoring their own 90 day warranty... etc.
post #228 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaz View Post

Did anyone in NYC pick up the touch pad from the Stores, today?

No go.
post #229 of 242
You can't even get to their homepage

poor bastards, they must have not seen it coming
post #230 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

You can't even get to their homepage

poor bastards, they must have not seen it coming


I would expect a place not MacMall to not be able to handle something like this, since the normal sequence of events of a MacMall order varies from unpredictable to wrong again for the third time.

HP, OTOH, as already noted, wants to leave the hardware business and focus on software and services, and yet couldn't handle the web traffic that they *could* see coming for at least a week.
post #231 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

You can't even get to their homepage

poor bastards, they must have not seen it coming

No one was prepared for it. HP's site was horrendous this weekend. I was lucky to get my order in at 1:00am on Friday night just before it went "out of stock" and before people figured out the SMB store was still working. Datavis' site went down, and they switched to eBay, where they sold 6300 in 34 minutes. A lot of retailers weren't sure whether to send their stock back to HP or launch a fire sale, and so held back stock or kept the price at the higher level until they knew for sure. It isn't every day when a major manufacturer cancels a product launch less than 2 months in and lowers the price by 75%.

If HP weren't completely changing their focus from consumer to enterprise, they'd have tried to maximize the value of WebOS a bit better by trying other methods to move the inventory. Selling everything at a $200 loss is a quick end, but isn't really compatible with a stated goal of trying to "optimize the value of WebOS software." It isn't as if developers are going to write apps for 500,000 users, of which maybe a quarter or half might actually use the devices for more than just web browsing.

It's actually an unfortunate development, IMO. WebOS didn't try to copy iOS, and had some nice features. With some decent hardware, it might have given Android a run for its money. I almost wonder whether HP wouldn't have been better off licensing it to RIM (who has struggled to gain traction with QNX), or Nokia, who really has no tablet OS now that they have dropped MeeGo and moved their attention to Windows Phone (which is not designed for tablets). As much as I like Apple, we need other companies doing something different and keeping Apple honest. The post-Jobs era is coming, and while Tim Cook is very good, the post-founder era for a wildly successful company is often the toughest. Apple has already witnessed that once before.
post #232 of 242
Not that I really wanted one but I got to Best Buy in Washington, DC at 11 AM Sunday - for other "stuff" and remembered. They told me they had 20 and they were gone within 10 minutes. I would have bought their 21st. It's really too bad for WebOS. There goes a good thing for all the worst reasons...
post #233 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I would expect a place not MacMall to not be able to handle something like this, since the normal sequence of events of a MacMall order varies from unpredictable to wrong again for the third time.

HP, OTOH, as already noted, wants to leave the hardware business and focus on software and services, and yet couldn't handle the web traffic that they *could* see coming for at least a week.

Oh I get it! I was wondering whether macmall got more than they bargained for since their entire site down means no other business too! All for a clearance sale
post #234 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

It's actually an unfortunate development, IMO. WebOS didn't try to copy iOS, and had some nice features. With some decent hardware, it might have given Android a run for its money. I almost wonder whether HP wouldn't have been better off licensing it to RIM (who has struggled to gain traction with QNX), or Nokia, who really has no tablet OS now that they have dropped MeeGo and moved their attention to Windows Phone (which is not designed for tablets). As much as I like Apple, we need other companies doing something different and keeping Apple honest. The post-Jobs era is coming, and while Tim Cook is very good, the post-founder era for a wildly successful company is often the toughest. Apple has already witnessed that once before.

Can You imagine if that firesale makes it popular all of the sudden?
post #235 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I would expect a place not MacMall to not be able to handle something like this, since the normal sequence of events of a MacMall order varies from unpredictable to wrong again for the third time.

HP, OTOH, as already noted, wants to leave the hardware business and focus on software and services, and yet couldn't handle the web traffic that they *could* see coming for at least a week.

The sad thing is that even the notifications page won't work ("server busy").

This is pretty ridiculous. There couldn't have been THAT many people- they only had a few hundred thousand and some were available last night at 11 pm when I finally got mine (although I didn't get my email notification until a few minutes ago). In fact, there were still some available this morning.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #236 of 242
Couldn't help but notice the overWHELMINGLY positive user reviews on HP's product page (the 32 gig model has 4.5 out of 5 stars with 62 reviews). They love it like crazy. Happily replaced their iPads. Gee, you'd think this would have encouraged HP to barrel past the generally tepid critics' reviews.

Unless...no, you don't think...these couldn't be...?
post #237 of 242
At this price,what have I got to lose.
However make no mistake that HP will not be releasing further updates to it's WEB OS so at
Some point this touchpad will lose it's value and compatability. However for now $100 is good and I'm sure that you'll get your money's worth
post #238 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Couldn't help but notice the overWHELMINGLY positive user reviews on HP's product page (the 32 gig model has 4.5 out of 5 stars with 62 reviews). They love it like crazy. Happily replaced their iPads. Gee, you'd think this would have encouraged HP to barrel past the generally tepid critics' reviews.

Unless...no, you don't think...these couldn't be...?

Yes that was all me! After about the 55th I started to repeat myself... Baby needed a new pair of shoes
post #239 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

At this price,what have I got to lose.

$ 99 or $149 depending

I'm thinking I can probably put Android on it, not because I love it but at least it's got a life-line
I wish I could put iOS but without access to the source....I'm not that good
post #240 of 242
where can you guys get one in the UK?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale