or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale

HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale - Page 2

post #41 of 242
Remember when the video game industry collapsed in 1983/84 when there were too many companies making mediocre game systems and crappy games until it reached a point when many of those companies started going out of business (or just getting out of the gaming biz) and a price war erupted when they started dumping merchandise? Sounds like the Tablet industry in 2011/12 could be very similar to the 1983/84 video game industry.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #42 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I doubt it'll do much if anything at all. HP is just selling off warehouse stock; they're not producing anymore, so once they sell off their stock which would probably take a few days, it'll be business as usual for everyone else.

You're missing the point. This is the end of a development platform. That's why MS is trying to get us to write for them.
post #43 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Remember when the video game industry collapsed in 1983/84 when there were too many companies making mediocre game systems and crappy games until it reached a point when many of those companies started going out of business (or just getting out of the gaming biz) and a price war erupted when they started dumping merchandise? Sounds like the Tablet industry in 2011/12 could be very similar to the 1983/84 video game industry.

I don't see this is quite the same. The crash in 83 was primarily caused by Atari and the fact that PC's were becoming more affordable and offered better graphics and more leeway for developers to make games. Hell, you could make your own games via DOS on the Commodore 64 or a 286 pc.
post #44 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

YES I would mount it on the wall and set the thing to rotate thru my iPhoto picture library, the hardest part is threading a wire in the back to have it powered up to the charger. Could also use it to display the time and weather. what else? does it have a camera then I could use it as a survellance device

hmmm

I don't think it will use your iPhoto library, as you suppose... Maybe your pictures, but it's not integrated with a MAC. At least I couldn't get a MAC API to run on it. Let me know what you're doing.
post #45 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Sounds like the Tablet industry in 2011/12 could be very similar to the 1983/84 video game industry.

When the E.T. game on the Atari 2600 flopped, Atari was stuck with millions of copies of the cartridge and they couldn't get rid of them at any price. It was one of the worst games ever, a complete piece of crap and probably real quickly made. PacMan was complete crap too and was also a big flop. The 2600 version of PacMan is probably the worst version of PacMan to exist on any device or console. It's beyond horrible. So, Atari dumped millions of cartridges into a landfill, crushed everything and poured concrete over everything.
post #46 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I don't see this is quite the same. The crash in 83 was primarily caused by Atari and the fact that PC's were becoming more affordable and offered better graphics and more leeway for developers to make games. Hell, you could make your own games via DOS on the Commodore 64 or a 286 pc.

Ever try it? It's not that easy. I picked trying to 'copy' "Raid over Moscow" which was made for the Commodore 64. Mine had better graphics, but didn't offer the same game play. I got a "C". I'll fix it and build an iOS App out of it. Lawsuit be-ware!

Software be-ware! MS has a lot to devote to the tablet front. I see them taking a close second... from my teachings anyway...

Personally, I hope the HD iPad comes out soon. Samsung developed the High Res display that they can use in their tablets as early as this winter. I think that AAPL would take that market share also.

If not, it would feel weird if Samsung had an HD tablet before AAPL...
post #47 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When the E.T. game on the Atari 2600 flopped, Atari was stuck with millions of copies of the cartridge and they couldn't get rid of them at any price. It was one of the worst games ever, a complete piece of crap and probably real quickly made. PacMan was complete crap too and was also a big flop. The 2600 version of PacMan is probably the worst version of PacMan to exist on any device or console. It's beyond horrible. So, Atari dumped millions of cartridges into a landfill, crushed everything and poured concrete over everything.

You might be right, but Pac Man was also one of the largest selling games back then. When I was showed the same thing you described and told that they made rich, i said "I can do better".

If it was a looser, like you say it was, then it sets the bar lower for me.
post #48 of 242
Quote:

The biggest benefactor of the 1983 video game industry crash was Nintendo a few years later. They had a better control over their games which is not unlike how Apple has a much better control of their hardware and apps. I do expect we could see the mass dumping of Tablets this Christmas (or sooner) since even the HP Touchpad can be modified to run Android which I'm sure many will do and than resell it online.

post #49 of 242
I placed a order already.

Waiting to see if I get a email notice.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #50 of 242
I might change my mind if a good Linux distro was available. The problemhere is the Ailey zip support from HP.
post #51 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

You might be right, but Pac Man was also one of the largest selling games back then. When I was showed the same thing you described and told that they made rich, i said "I can do better".

If it was a looser, like you say it was, then it sets the bar lower for me.

The arcade version of PacMan is one of the best games ever made, a true classic. I don't even want to remember how many quarters I fed into the local PacMan machines by my house when I was a kid. My friends and I would be hanging out by the PacMan machines for hours every day, waiting for a chance to play, since there was always somebody playing a game.

I also remember being extremely disappointed when I bought the Atari 2600 version of PacMan. I think it cost around $40 at the time. It looked nothing like the original and it didn't play anything like the original either. It was a quickly put together piece of crap. People bought it of course because of the name, but the game failed to deliver and as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the worst ports ever made. Whoever was in charge of Atari at the time must have been a real dumbass with no clue at all.

I have the offical PacMan from Namco on my iPad2 now and it's pretty good, it's like the original, but playing with the touch controls is not the same as using a controller, since the original uses a joystick.
post #52 of 242
I went to HP and all of their venders web sites. None of them have the $99 price listed yet. Midnight Mountain Time. I want one just for when somebody creates a Linux distribution for them. With this fire sale I'm sure the community will get into this one. If not Linux then Android will work for it one of these days.
post #53 of 242
$99 or $149 for a dedicated Netflix machine is not bad at all.

I will stop by BestBuy tomorrow and see what's up.
post #54 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

$99 or $149 for a dedicated Netflix machine is not bad at all.

I will stop by BestBuy tomorrow and see what's up.

Netflix works on the Touchpad?
post #55 of 242
Quote:

Did you copy this direct from Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._crash_of_1983

While NES was the comeback of consoles, the Amiga's and Commodore's was the every man's pc and brought plenty of games with them. I had hundreds of floppy disks full of games.
post #56 of 242
Disapointed still full price in the UK. If it had dropped to £99 I would have got one, leets face it 90% of what your going to use a tablet for is the internet and the browers decent enough on all of them.
post #57 of 242
Quote:

Did you copy this direct from Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._crash_of_1983

While NES was the comeback of consoles, the Amiga's and Commodore's was the every man's pc and brought plenty of games with them. I had hundreds of floppy disks full of games.

Nope, I've never even been to that Wiki page before. Only a moron would copy and paste something from another site and pass it off as their own.

I remembered the Atari dumping cartridges story from a long time ago so I went to Snopes to confirm if it was true, and it was.
post #58 of 242
hp.com has the 16 GB for $99 but the 32 for $499.

I suppose it's a brand new thing this fire sale so it's kinda half a$$ed at the moment.

At first I thought it may not be too bad but i have trouble justifiying even $99. I have picture frames and an iPad so it will be just clutter

Those early adopters must be feeling like idiots
post #59 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

At $99, I'm definitely going to try to pick one up tomorrow.

At this current point in time, a tablet is just a portable web browser / video player to me. That's why I could never justify paying $500 for an ipad or a honeycomb tablet. but at $99, I can't think of a reason NOT to buy it.

I wouldn't waste $99 on hardware that's already obsolete before you buy it.

I noticed that the "sale" image doesn't mention "this item has been discontinued". The market-following geeks among us know it, but will the average buyer walking into a Best Buy know it? Imagine their surprise after they get it home that'll translate to high returns.

And why on earth does the ad say "limit 1 per household"? What do they care if someone with deep pockets decides to buy 20 of them?? That smells like a "mindshare marketing opportunity" to me also...

Side note re your post:
It's interesting. I see this a lot. Someone who has never owned an iPad relegates the value of "a tablet" to internet access, browsing and watching a few vids.

You obviously haven't owned an iPad. Mine has all but replaced my laptop for daily use, which goes far beyond email and web browsing.

Well over half of what I do with it isn't internet/video related. Word processing, spreadsheet, presentations writing and music production a lot more image processing these days too as the tools mature (but still cost 1/10th to 1/100th of a 'full desktop app' you'd buy to accomplish the same things).

It's a focal point for conversation, discussion, and a quick-reference tool in meetings

And when I do use it for 'internet access', well I use the browser much less, since most of what I access online (aside from email) is news and other information sites, and the apps available deliver those in a way far superior to most browsers e.g. aggregated news apps (with integrated FB and Twitter) like Flipboard or Zite remake the experience, and save me a ton of time in the process

There's a lot more to "a tablet" called "the iPad" than you obviously realize
post #60 of 242
What is going on at the HP site? I returned to it less than two hours after first looking for the new prices. They were there. The new page listed the Touchpads at $149 and $99. I scrolled down the page and clicked on the warranty page to learn if there was a limitation with this discontinued product. The warranty was a general one not specific to any one product. When I clicked back to the page with the Touchpads the prices were listed at $499 and $399!

Does HP think that since they've sold some at the lower prices or just generated interest, that people will decide that the higher price is now worth it?

When I was at the site at Midnight it listed both at the older prices but said that the 16 GB model was sold out. At 1:58 AM both are in stock at the higher price. Somebody there needs to stop smoking weed while on the job.
post #61 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Disapointed still full price in the UK. If it had dropped to £99 I would have got one, leets face it 90% of what your going to use a tablet for is the internet and the browers decent enough on all of them.

See my previous post regarding "a tablet". ahhhh, the voices of inexperience

If you can say of an iPad "let's face it 90% of what you'll use it for is *xyz*" it means you haven't spent any significant time with one. It may be true with the TouchPad, since there won't be any new apps for it but the iPad is a whole different ecosystem

No-one I know uses theirs for 90% internet/browsing. It's way cooler than that.
post #62 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What is going on at the HP site? When I was at the site at Midnight it listed both at the older prices but said that the 16 GB model was sold out. At 1:58 AM both are in stock at the higher price.

And we wonder why they can't get the traction they want? If their company is operated this way (disjointed and disorganized), it would be no surprise

HP sure has had a bad run of luck with their CEO selections Carly Fiorina nearly tanked the company, and it's been hit and miss ever since. They get some decent Administrators, but no solid innovators at the helm. The difference between Apple and everyone else?
post #63 of 242
Even if there's no new apps for it, that's still a good price for a little thing just to browse the web and play music on.
post #64 of 242
So many comments about using it on the can. HP could have made a killing by calling it the HP PoopPad from the start.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #65 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

As a retailer, I wouldn't sell them. The price is good, but there will be no support. People will eventually be mad with the purchase. Many people probably will still want to return them. I'd send them back.

Good points.
post #66 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by microtaint View Post

in ca only or what? I called a few places around here (U.S.) and they had no idea what I was talking about. In fact I was even told by the Radio Shack monkey that "HP makes the best computers out there." I guess that's why they are essentially dropping their pc business and are giving the tablets away for free... who knew?

They are not dropping their PC business. They are spinning off the division into a separate entity.

Maybe it will be sold, maybe it will go public, maybe something else. Their goal is to increase margins, and the PC business is low margin, which, given the ginourmous volume, is lowering to margins for the company as a whole.

They are, however, dropping their WebOS hardware business.
post #67 of 242
I'd buy one if it were for sale here in Japan.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #68 of 242
Quote:

Actually, what if you had a GF...

Seriously, not bad as a PF. Could be cool. The multitasking is way better than iOS or Android. Would love to see it on the iPad!!!

"You don't always get what you want. You get what ya need!" Some one help me with the song title here so I don't get sued.

Actually, NASCAP will sue me anyway. NASCAP...

I saw her today at a reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she would meet her connection
At her feet was her footloose man

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

I saw her today at the reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she was gonna meet her connection
At her feet was her footloose man

But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need

Oh yeah, hey hey hey, oh...

And I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse"
Sing it to me now...

But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need
Oh baby, yeah, yeah!

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill
We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
I said to him

You can't always get what you want, no!
You can't always get what you want (tell ya baby)
You can't always get what you want (no)
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need
Oh yes! Woo!

You get what you need--yeah, oh baby!
Oh yeah!

I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands

You just might find
You get what you need

You can't always get what you want (no, no baby)
You just might find
You get what you need, ah yes...
post #69 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I agree, for that price, the tablet is a great deal even just as a browser or ebook reader. The videos of it show it to be quite smooth and responsive:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/hp-touchpad-review/

I can understand HP dropping it as it fails to compete with the iPad - ultimately, you're never going to compete by playing catchup. However, it has some features that would rival the other tablets it competes with like the Blackberry Playbook.

Seems a bit premature to kill it off.
post #70 of 242
Quote:

I have the offical PacMan from Namco on my iPad2 now and it's pretty good, it's like the original, but playing with the touch controls is not the same as using a controller, since the original uses a joystick.

Too bad Apple put so few input choices on the iPad. Seemingly, they have not licensed anybody to make joysticks for the proprietary 30-pin connector. If they included a standard mini-USB, you would have your choice of competitively priced joysticks.

Proprietary connectors are maybe good for the manufacturers but certainly are bad for consumers. Sony used to pull crap like that all the time, like only including their proprietary Memory Stick instead of any standard options. I used to prefer Sony products, but as of now, I refuse to buy anything from them.
post #71 of 242
Typical, reduction only applies to the USA, for some reason HP either expects the rest of the world to pay full price or the idea of making sure the USA is always cheaper than the UK etc is just too engrained in their minds.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #72 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Too bad Apple put so few input choices on the iPad. Seemingly, they have not licensed anybody to make joysticks for the proprietary 30-pin connector. If they included a standard mini-USB, you would have your choice of competitively priced joysticks.

Proprietary connectors are maybe good for the manufacturers but certainly are bad for consumers. Sony used to pull crap like that all the time, like only including their proprietary Memory Stick instead of any standard options. I used to prefer Sony products, but as of now, I refuse to buy anything from them.

What about a bluetooth connection for joysticks?

I think wires in general need to die!

Some dude the other day was making a big deal about his HDMI port on his nerdroid phone.
He had to eat crow when I mentioned AirPlay. I don't personally know anyone who actually uses those HDMI ports or SD cards for that matter.
post #73 of 242
sometimes it shows the new prices and sometimes the old ones. I'm guessing all their servers are not in synch and it depends on what the load balancer points too!

now it's out of stock on both models
post #74 of 242
Quote:

I don't think it will use your iPhoto library, as you suppose... Maybe your pictures, but it's not integrated with a MAC. At least I couldn't get a MAC API to run on it. Let me know what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

sometimes it shows the new prices and sometimes the old ones. I'm guessing all their servers are not in synch and it depends on what the load balancer points too!

now it's out of stock on both models

Everyone's out of stock online on both models. I'll try running by the Best Buy store today to see if they have any in the store (their system won't let you check store availability on Touchpads, either).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #75 of 242
It does today. Tomorrow when Netflix updates its system and doesn't support the tablet it might not.

Quote:

Netflix works on the Touchpad?
post #76 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean overdesign.

The best design is as little design as possible.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. Bad websites are typically under-designed -- as in, just throw everything you can think of on there on every page without any real thought about how it affects the usability. Good web sites, like any good UI, are made by making choices at every step, including what to leave out.
post #77 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It does today. Tomorrow when Netflix updates its system and doesn't support the tablet it might not.

It won't be tomorrow.... Probably next week.

Waste of money even if at $100.

It would be pathetic if they can't even sell out at $100! My guess is that many are buying them to put them on eBay for the diehards
post #78 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

It won't be tomorrow.... Probably next week.

Waste of money even if at $100.

And that's why everyone is sold out......

$100 isn't bad for a web browser and movie player. I'll be getting one for my daughter's birthday if I can find one.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #79 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

why on earth does the ad say "limit 1 per household"? What do they care if someone with deep pockets decides to buy 20 of them?? That smells like a "mindshare marketing opportunity" to me also...

HP does not want someone buying 2 or 10,000 and reselling, even at a slightly higher price.
It would merely interfere and compete with unloading the rest of the inventory as fast as possible. Time is money for HP.

Palm cost HP $1.2 billion. At only a $0.1 billion write-off for the hardware, HP must have figured the tablet had better than a 1 in 12 chance of succeeding, as they went on to produce it and threw good money after bad, after they realized they goofed.
post #80 of 242
Quote:

It shouldn't be that hard. From iPhoto, you can export your entire library into a folder of jpg files which can then be transferred to the Touchpad. You can then transfer the files by putting the Touchpad in USB drive mode.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale