or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale

HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale - Page 3

post #81 of 242
Just got back from Wal-Mart, they went on sale at 7AM and were sold out in under ten minutes. Darn, the guy inline in front of me got the very last one.

On my way home, I already saw lines of people waiting for Best Buy and Staples to open.
post #82 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I can think of a lot of things I'd rather have for $100 than an obsolete tablet for which no bug fix, security update, or hardware support of any kind will ever be available.

Couldn't you 'just' put Android on it. It's open, ins't it? What was that line this Google guy twittered? Something like

cd source; make install

post #83 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispoe View Post

Just got back from Wal-Mart, they went on sale at 7AM and were sold out in under ten minutes. Darn, the guy inline in front of me got the very last one.

On my way home, I already saw lines of people waiting for Best Buy and Staples to open.

Really?

THe price is indeed cheap but do they know the think has been discontinued and the support will just about be nil?
post #84 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

That's quite a fire sale.

I'm sure it will sell now, but how funny would it be if they still can't sell through their quantities of touchpads?

Has anyone actually tried to light one yet?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #85 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And that's why everyone is sold out......

$100 isn't bad for a web browser and movie player. I'll be getting one for my daughter's birthday if I can find one.

That's not whty.... Probably online stores had 10 pieces on hand if that. Plus you have the people who buy them just so they can auction them off later.
post #86 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Really?

THe price is indeed cheap but do they know the think has been discontinued and the support will just about be nil?

I'm pretty sure they know the terms. Just by looking at them, they were all males, mid thirties and younger, and most of them were using top of the line Android phones as they were waiting in line.
post #87 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Has anyone actually tried to light one yet?

LOL. Will it blend?
post #88 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Remember when the video game industry collapsed in 1983/84 when there were too many companies making mediocre game systems and crappy games until it reached a point when many of those companies started going out of business (or just getting out of the gaming biz) and a price war erupted when they started dumping merchandise? Sounds like the Tablet industry in 2011/12 could be very similar to the 1983/84 video game industry.

True but the MP3 player wars was a far closer analogy IMHO. I recall the same Apple hate from those claiming their River or whatever was far better than iPod. They claimed the iPod was over priced and would die as Betamax had (I recall that analogy was used a lot). All the same claims we had with iPhone then iPad. History does seem to keep repeating and so far Apple are batting pretty well

The dark horse in all this to me is the rise of Apple's various MacBooks in the Post PC era. To paraphrase Steve 'we still need some trucks even in an urban society'. I love my iPad but you'll only take my MBP away from my dead fingers!
post #89 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Really?

Considering that it's labeled as 'clearance' and 'closeout' and marked down 80%, I suspect that most people know that.

I know full well what the support will be like - and I'm planning to buy one (if I can find one). Not everyone thinks the same way you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

That's not whty.... Probably online stores had 10 pieces on hand if that. Plus you have the people who buy them just so they can auction them off later.

Except that Best Buy doesn't work that way. You can normally check online and reserve one to pick up at the store. It's the same stock that is in the retail store. Yet they're not allowing it.

There are several explanations - I'm guessing that they know that they'll sell them all within minutes, anyway, so there's no point in reserving them online - because not everyone will pick up their reserved unit.

BTW, Best Buy has changed the return policy on the Touchpad. If you bought one in the past 60 days, you can now return it (rather than their normal 14 day policy). That should help with the people who bought one at full price.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #90 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

HP has dominant 95% marketshare of the shitter tablet category.
And it is because they make the best shitter tablets.

Best post ever.
post #91 of 242
Quote:

Considering that it's labeled as 'clearance' and 'closeout' and marked down 80%, I suspect that most people know that.

I know full well what the support will be like - and I'm planning to buy one (if I can find one). Not everyone thinks the same way you do.

Except that Best Buy doesn't work that way. You can normally check online and reserve one to pick up at the store. It's the same stock that is in the retail store. Yet they're not allowing it.

There are several explanations - I'm guessing that they know that they'll sell them all within minutes, anyway, so there's no point in reserving them online - because not everyone will pick up their reserved unit.

BTW, Best Buy has changed the return policy on the Touchpad. If you bought one in the past 60 days, you can now return it (rather than their normal 14 day policy). That should help with the people who bought one at full price.

That explains the $100 mil write down that HP was talking about.
I wonder if the sales at the new price will be final.
post #92 of 242
Quote:

Not really. They didn't sell enough at the old price for returns to be a big issue. The write down was because they're going to have to reimburse Best Buy and other retailers for the price drop.

Quote:

They're no longer on Best Buy's web site, but I believe that the message this morning said the sales were final.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #93 of 242
Geez, from the way people talk about the TouchPad, you'd think that HP kicked your dog or bitch slapped your mom. It's OK, the iPad is still dominating the market... you don't have to piss on HP as it goes down in flames too

So what if there isn't any support. It's $99. At that price, it's an impulse by for anyone that was actually even THINKING about getting a tablet.

The one I got is going to my 62-year-old dad to use as a web tablet around the house. I'm sure he'll love it. Sure beats the hell out of getting him a $500 iPad 2 for his birthday.
post #94 of 242
Quote:

That's odd - I just went to Bestbuy.com and the Touchpad is showing as 'sold out online'. I thought they had a quarter million of these lying around?

Maybe they just pulled them offline in advance of the big sale - so they don't have customers upset for paying full price.

They want to get you into their store so that you are tempted to buy more stuff.
post #95 of 242
Not the most vawncast move by hp they've alway struggled in the mobile industry. The price still might be a little too high
post #96 of 242
I can't find a single place that's selling it for $99 online
Tried best buy, target, amazon etc
Nothing
post #97 of 242
I wonder what kind of chilling effect this week's high-profile cataclysm with the Touchpad that HP experienced will have on other non-Apple tablet makers.

It's one thing for one of these other players to be making their attempt at an iPad and to sell it to retailers and hope it works out and maybe have to discontinue it if it doesn't.

It is quite another thing to see what HP experienced with $100 million dollar chargebacks with Best Buy, the humiliation of their brand that comes from 80% discounts a month or so after the release of the product, and the much more profound harbinger of HP's potential exit even from their venerable PC business.

(...and not to mention that the product category for which you are competing and investing hard-earned dollars is now being called "shitter tablet").

Trying to get your own tablet on the market is not fun and games anymore...you can really get hurt very badly if you even try to do so now. How many executives at these other non-Apple tablet makers are going to be willing to stick their necks out to build a tablet now? Suddenly they realize they are swimming in bloody water and they are not the sharks that they thought they were.
post #98 of 242
Next week's promotion will be called BNGO... pronounced Bingo!

Stands for: Buy None Get One...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #99 of 242
It's been said by a few others on here but I'll say it again...

Credit to HP for having the balls to tell it like it is.

The Co-CEOs at RIM must be shitting in their pants right now... all. day. long.... non stop.

[on edit: ... but for whatever reason, RIM was up 3.69% on the TSX and 3.61% on the Naz during the meltdown yesterday]
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #100 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The Co-CEOs at RIM must be shitting in their pants right now... all. day. long.... non stop.

[on edit: ... but for whatever reason, RIM was up 3.69% on the TSX and 3.61% on the Naz during the meltdown yesterday]

I think RIM is up on takeover/buyout speculation.
post #101 of 242
Quote:

Actually they are shitting in their bathrooms with their brand new touchpads thy picked up for $99, and they are reading this forum
post #102 of 242
Xmas gift!!!:d
post #103 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoom View Post

I think RIM is up on takeover/buyout speculation.

Actually... I think it's because of their announced music service.

Two things... a few clowns have called a bottom and a few other clowns are talking takeover.

If there is a takeover RIM will not get a 60% premium on its value, imo... 10%... maybe 20%... otherwise they will be left to circle the drain.

RIM's premium will be paid in Touchpads.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #104 of 242
Quote:

Actually they are shitting in their bathrooms with their brand new Pooppads thy picked up for $99, and they are reading this forum

Fixed that for you. (a nod to Solipsism)

This is a real shitty thread.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #105 of 242
Quote:

Fixed that for you. (a nod to Solipsism)

This is a real shitty thread.

Oh shit! Thanks!
post #106 of 242
Quote:

The 100 million write down was for the last Q. They are writing down 68 cents in eps for next q or 1.3 billion (before taxes). Read the release.

In the release the effect was .05 to eps.
post #107 of 242
This is bleak news for the manufacturers of Android tablets and RIM.

Now they know what approximate price point they need to reach to get non-iPad tablets to move in volume.
post #108 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

The 100 million write down was for the last Q. They are writing down 68 cents in eps for next q or 1.3 billion (before taxes). Read the release.

In the release the effect was .05 to eps.

I didn't find it in there but I admit I can't get through reading about GAAP etc without falling asleep. But I dont doubt it.

Wow that's a lotta cheese!
post #109 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Ever try it? It's not that easy. I picked trying to 'copy' "Raid over Moscow" which was made for the Commodore 64. Mine had better graphics, but didn't offer the same game play. I got a "C". I'll fix it and build an iOS App out of it. Lawsuit be-ware!

Software be-ware! MS has a lot to devote to the tablet front. I see them taking a close second... from my teachings anyway...

Personally, I hope the HD iPad comes out soon. Samsung developed the High Res display that they can use in their tablets as early as this winter. I think that AAPL would take that market share also.

If not, it would feel weird if Samsung had an HD tablet before AAPL...

Are you on drugs? It's like you're not even writing English.

Make sense no here.
post #110 of 242
Or, rather, you party all night with a fantastic bunch of friends, you almost go to a Korean karaoke after the pub but instead end up singing Bob Dylan songs in a diner on second avenue, and overall have one of the best nights in your life. Only to wake up six hours later and find out you've missed a great opportunity to buy a cool gadget for peanuts...

Oh, well... at least we'll always have Paris...
post #111 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

I saw her today at a reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she would meet her connection
At her feet was her footloose man

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

I saw her today at the reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she was gonna meet her connection
At her feet was her footloose man

But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need

Oh yeah, hey hey hey, oh...

And I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse"
Sing it to me now...

But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need
Oh baby, yeah, yeah!

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill
We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
I said to him

You can't always get what you want, no!
You can't always get what you want (tell ya baby)
You can't always get what you want (no)
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need
Oh yes! Woo!

You get what you need--yeah, oh baby!
Oh yeah!

I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands

You just might find
You get what you need

You can't always get what you want (no, no baby)
You just might find
You get what you need, ah yes...

It's posts like this that make me wish I was a mod so I could hit the delete key.

Maybe I should add five or six pages of random Shakespeare dialogue to a post show you how annoying this is.

PS - If you like the Stones, you should also be an Android fan as Mick and the boys got their start by copying the Beatles.
post #112 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is bleak news for the manufacturers of Android tablets.

Now they know what approximate price point they need to reach to get non-iPad tablets to move in volume.

Good luck with that! The BOM is probably twice that if not more. They'd have to eat a lot of up front cost and it's still risky.
post #113 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I'll only buy it if Russell Brand sends Katy Perry over to 'give it to me.'

Unavailable - but the ghost of Rick James is on his way.
post #114 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... Mick and the boys got their start by copying the Beatles.

...which only goes to show how pointless the argument of who copied whom is in a world of endless creativity and awesomeness...
post #115 of 242
Went to best buy. Was told that they pulled the stock. Don't know what that means. Not selling them and shipping them back?
post #116 of 242
(Somewhere in the HP headquarters):

"Okay, phase 1 is complete... Let's move to Phase 2, code-name: DOLLAR SHOP".
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #117 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's posts like this that make me wish I was a mod so I could hit the delete key.

Maybe I should add five or six pages of random Shakespeare dialogue to a post show you how annoying this is.

PS - If you like the Stones, you should also be an Android fan as Mick and the boys got their start by copying the Beatles.

THE MILLER'S TALE

<edit>•

http://classiclit.about.com/library/...can-mill-m.htm</edit> I see what you mean.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #118 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I blame Russell Brand and Manny Pacquiao for webOS's demise..

Ugh. What a failing ad campaign. Not even close to the iPad commercials in effectiveness. All it managed to convey was that HP could only afford to hire second-tier celebrities to endorse their new non-iPad.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #119 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

I wonder what kind of chilling effect this week's high-profile cataclysm with the Touchpad that HP experienced will have on other non-Apple tablet makers.

It's one thing for one of these other players to be making their attempt at an iPad and to sell it to retailers and hope it works out and maybe have to discontinue it if it doesn't.

It is quite another thing to see what HP experienced with $100 million dollar chargebacks with Best Buy, the humiliation of their brand that comes from 80% discounts a month or so after the release of the product, and the much more profound harbinger of HP's potential exit even from their venerable PC business.

(...and not to mention that the product category for which you are competing and investing hard-earned dollars is now being called "shitter tablet").

Trying to get your own tablet on the market is not fun and games anymore...you can really get hurt very badly if you even try to do so now. How many executives at these other non-Apple tablet makers are going to be willing to stick their necks out to build a tablet now? Suddenly they realize they are swimming in bloody water and they are not the sharks that they thought they were.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google-Motorola became the only producers of Android tablets while Google's Android partners focused on smartphones.
post #120 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

Xmas gift!!!:d

For someone you don't like...
After all, it's still an HP non-iPad. Might as well have been a Microsoft Kin.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale