or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › ethernet crossover

ethernet crossover

post #1 of 8
I have an ethernet crossover cable which I was told I could use to share files between my Pismo and my new iMac at work. HOW???? I can't seem to get it to work.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 8
I hate to say it but the Mac OS help has most of what you need to know. Did you try that?
post #3 of 8
You know what?

Back to the time when I still had a Pismo I can't get the cross-over cable to do the peer-to-peer file transfer.

But a straight cable worked!
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #4 of 8
Connect the two macs with the crossover cable. Turn Appletalk on on both machines. Make sure that Ethernet is selected in the Appletalk control panel (this is assuming OS 9). Turn file sharing on on one machine. Set your owner name and password in the File Sharing control panel of that machine. Go into the Network Browser of the other machine and look in the AppleTalk section. You should see your computer there. Login, mount the hard drive and away you go.

-Ender
If you find yourself sided with the majority, it is time to change your thinking.

-Mark Twain
If you find yourself sided with the majority, it is time to change your thinking.

-Mark Twain
post #5 of 8
On the other hand, if you have a 6 pin to 6 pin FireWire cable, Firewire disk mode is the way to go. Turn your Pismo off, and with the iMac running, use the FireWire cable to connect the two computers. Then, hold the T key down while starting your Pismo. Then it's hard drive will show up on the iMac desktop. This method is far faster than ethernet cables.

-Ender

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain
post #6 of 8
Does the iMac have a GigaBit ethernet card? I remember a simular question/disscussion last year and someone mentioned that the new ethernet cards were able to configure themselfs to not need a crossover cable.
post #7 of 8
1000Base-T is only available on the G4 Desktops.
post #8 of 8
[quote]Originally posted by Mr_B8er:
<strong>1000Base-T is only available on the G4 Desktops.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...and new Titanium G4s
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › ethernet crossover