or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple may introduce a radically different Mac product family by year's end

Apple may introduce a radically different Mac product family by year's end - Page 2

post #41 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

I'm not interested in iSkyNet. The day Apple goes 100% iCloud is the day I go 100% linux.

Except this will never happen under any circumstances in any form at any time.

I think that covers all cases.

I assume you don't use Facebook, Google, or an ISP at home, then, either.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #42 of 225
Maybe the Mac Pro isn't going so Pro anymore...
If the rumor points to something true, I guess Apple will release a redesigned Mac Pro with less Pro oriented hardware but still good enough to satisfy demand of content creators, gamers and good enough for some server needs. But hey... this is more of a wish than an educated guess :-P
post #43 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a redesigned Mac Pro. Nothing to see here, people.

Oh....

What if the Mac pro becomes just a box containing major RAM, CPU, GPU, Reasonable SSD.... and dual Thunderbolt ports.

These could be daisy chained ad infinitum including RAID HDDs and some Displays. a kb, mouse and maybe an iPad.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #44 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

If this is true, I imagine it's some kind of giant desktop iPad. Or at least something where touch plays a large role.

ipad form factor, MBA capabilities (SSD, more RAM, retina display, access to the file system, i/o ports, video out, hybrid OS so you can run iOS apps and mac apps, retina display

..a "true" touch based laptop?
post #45 of 225
Apple has been teetering as the most valuable brand in the world. No way would they release a product under a different brand name for the sake of distancing themselves from the current product line.
post #46 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

If this is true, I imagine it's some kind of giant desktop iPad. Or at least something where touch plays a large role.

I real "desktop" pad, something slim and big that we put down on our "desk" would be interesting. They could also do an optionnal small inclination like a drawing table.

For touch base, vertical screens PC's are awkward and tiredsome in the long run.
post #47 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I take "transition" to mean change to a product or replacement of a product -- as opposed to a totally new product.

For example, i would call the iPad 3 a transition -- but not the iPad 1.

One thing they could do with the iPad is harden it, anti-glare it, and mass-produce a single low-price model as the OLPC tablet solution.

Apple TV becoming integral within a new wifi only HDTV could considered a transitional product. Just a thought ....
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #48 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Hey what's wrong with "mature" and smart?

Mature and smart people may not want to work 100 hous a week and get yelled at for small mistakes. They also may have too good a graphic design sense to follow Apple's new direction of throwing good software design principles out the window just to be radically different.
post #49 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

If the rumor points to something true, I guess Apple will release a redesigned Mac Pro with less Pro oriented hardware but still good enough to satisfy demand of content creators, gamers and good enough for some server needs. But hey... this is more of a wish than an educated guess :-P

Nonsense. That's why the Mac Mini and iMac exist.

Quote:

Oh....

What if the Mac pro becomes just a box containing major RAM, CPU, GPU, Reasonable SSD.... and dual Thunderbolt ports.

These could be daisy chained ad infinitum including RAID HDDs and some Displays. a kb, mouse and maybe an iPad.

WANT. NOW.

Need a more powerful computer? Buy a second box. Need more hard drive space? Buy a Thunderbolt RAID array. Need a more powerful computer after that? Plug the second box into the Thunderbolt RAID array.

This would basically be RAIDed CPUs. Just buy more and plug them in. And obviously knowing Apple, it wouldn't take any setup at all. Entire server rooms would be reduced to plugging in a new box when you needed more processing power.

post #50 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple may be preparing to introduce a distinct family next-generation Mac designs unlike anything seen to date ...

Translation: Apple is going to ruin the Mac pros now.
post #51 of 225
What a great story - this'll get us all thinking!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #52 of 225
Maybe the product is not a piece of hardware but a service.

Maybe Apple is about to take on Google single source of income by going after their search and advertising base.
post #53 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Hey what's wrong with "mature" and smart?

I discovered Apple in 1978 -- I wanted to buy an Apple ][, on a Saturday and the 4 computer stores in Silicon Valley were all closed. On the way home, my wife, Lucy, said "Apple just moved to Cupertino, and I think I can find it". She did -- Bandley Drive -- roads being paved construction everywhere -- what a mess!

We enter this building -- a big room with a counter at one end -- no other furniture. People were everywhere, standing leaning against the wall, sitting on the floor -- some with computers, showing stuff to others. It looked like a Berkley sit-in -- loud, raucous -- but everybody was laughing and having fun...

Long story short -- I got my Apple ][ a month later, with 2 partners opened the 5th computer stope in SV that December, and later quit a very good Job at IBM Palo Alto.

I always wondered what would have happened -- if that day I'd applied at Apple...

Ah, but SJ and I would have butted heads -- and my ass would have been out of there in no time...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #54 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Apple may have found that they were able to produce that kind of next generation device ahead of their previously deterined schedule. This could have been driven by the wide acceptance of the iPad which they hadn't anticipated being as great as it proved to be - their commentary in the quarterly financial calls alluded to their (pleasant) surprise. If that is the case, and especially with the announced intention of HP out of desktop PC production, it is not, as noted above, beyond Apple to introduce something very disruptive and ride out the initial reaction to the radical departure in order to build out the foundation of what they see as the next generation of computing devices.

I think it has been mentioned before but bears repeating: the iPhone and the iPod Touch were the precursors to the iPad - even though the iPad was allegedly on the bench first. It made sense (in retrospect) to bring out smaller, "less threatening" devices first to gauge consumer reaction to the interface, and then introduce the iPad. Which in turn could be the predecessor to a whole new line of computing devices.

This is going to be a struggle first for those of us in technology, as we tend to be wedded to the existing technology paradigm, so look for strong negative reaction by pundits across the board to the new approach when Apple first announces it. Apple stock will inevitably take an initial hit as well (as it seems to do when Apple introduces a new product line). As the iPad demonstrated, if a straight line is drawn from one product to the next (interface-wise for example) consumers have demonstrated that they are willing to make that move much quicker than those of us who are heavily invested in the current technologies.

If this is true we are poised for yet another disruption.

If the [stupid] iOSification of Lion is any indication, then future Apple products probably will be disruptive. The "we know better than you" attitude of Apple - while justified occasionally, is being pushed to extremes. They'd better be right.
post #55 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

I think this is it. Ever since the recent Mac mini update I've been wondering if Apple will actually kill the iMac. The mini is now enough computer for home users. I think they would then introduce a new Mac Pro that's smaller and cheaper. Essentially a headless iMac. The reason I think this is likely is simply because desktop computers are no longer popular and it might not make sense to introduce a new, redesigned line of iMacs for a declining market. A mid-range Mac Pro would be a cheaper, more flexible option that could serve a broader range of people (consumers, prosumers, professionals) with built-to-order options.
post #56 of 225
(please don't quote spam!)

Wow! If I just hadn't sent all my money to Nigeria to help those poor unfortunate souls, I'd be all over this.
post #57 of 225
Quote:

I discovered Apple in 1978 -- I wanted to buy an Apple ][, on a Saturday and the 4 computer stores in Silicon Valley were all closed. On the way home, my wife, Lucy, said "Apple just moved to Cupertino, and I think I can find it". She did -- Bandley Drive -- roads being paved construction everywhere -- what a mess!

We enter this building -- a big room with a counter at one end -- no other furniture. People were everywhere, standing leaning against the wall, sitting on the floor -- some with computers, showing stuff to others. It looked like a Berkley sit-in -- loud, raucous -- but everybody was laughing and having fun...

Long story short -- I got my Apple ][ a month later, with 2 partners opened the 5th computer stope in SV that December, and later quit a very good Job at IBM Palo Alto.

I always wondered what would have happened -- if that day I'd applied at Apple...

Ah, but SJ and I would have butted heads -- and my ass would have been out of there in no time...

Great story! I love to hear stories like that...gives you a ton of context....

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #58 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Translation: Apple is going to ruin the Mac pros now.

Oh well, covered my ass if they do .. phew! I sold my three year old Mac Pro for more than I had in it for it thanks to my own upgrades of RAM and internal drives and two screens plus extra Video card.

I miss it for some things like the awesome multi tasking but my i7 MBP and external Apple LCD (an even iPad now and then as external screen lol) makes for a far more flexible set up.
post #59 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Wow! If I just hadn't sent all my money to Nigeria to help those poor unfortunate souls, I'd be all over this.

Don't quote spam! Please ...
post #60 of 225
Quote:

If the [stupid] iOSification of Lion is any indication, then future Apple products probably will be disruptive. The "we know better than you" attitude of Apple - while justified occasionally, is being pushed to extremes. They'd better be right.

This is a ridiculous attitude. Every OS is based on a particular vision of how a computer should work. You can agree with it or not, but it's got nothing to do with, "we know better than you"; it's a matter of, "this is our vision, if you like it, buy it."
post #61 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh well, covered my ass if they do .. phew! I sold my three year old Mac Pro for more than I had in it for it thanks to my own upgrades of RAM and internal drives and two screens plus extra Video card.

I miss it for some things like the awesome multi tasking but my i7 MBP and external Apple LCD (an even iPad now and then as external screen lol) makes for a far more flexible set up.

I could never see the attraction of a laptop.

They aren't *that* portable and they don't even come close to the power of a desktop. They also don't sync so you have to be "either-or" for your main computer. Using a desktop as well as a laptop is just awkward at best.

I like the idea of a powerful desktop (if you need it) and iPad for everything mobile. So far this is the perfect combo for me.
post #62 of 225
Quote:

I can go back over Apple's history and find similar comments about every transition they ever made. When I was demonstrating Lisa it wasn't so bad as at that price it was considered Sci-Fi but the first Macs were either met with child like, wide eyed enthusiasm or total horror by keyboard centric DOS morons. The move from OS 9 was really good for such comments. So many were swearing they'd never adopt this nasty new OS X. Personally I just love these transitions, keeps the mind working and I know in time they will be added to the annals of computer history's mile stones ... and I was there
post #63 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

At which point Apple will own our music, files, browsing history, location data, and various other scary tidbits. NTM, Apple was recently the highest valued company on Earth. Yes, Earth .... Apple is growing into a daunting size and sitting on more cash than the U.S. Government. This is all coming from a 20 year Apple user and shareholder that has benefited greatly from their growth. I love them and appreciate what they have done but they're starting to frighten me a bit.

I'm not interested in iSkyNet. The day Apple goes 100% iCloud is the day I go 100% linux.

p.s.
hello! this is my first post! long-time lurker, macrumors regular.

Don't think you need to distrust Apple sharing or misusing your data -- or unfairly constricting your choices.

Apple wants to build the products "they want to have and use" and make them available to others on a free market.

Apple does this so well that others buy their products because they are superior -- not because they have to.

This can lead to Apple dominating markets, but, likely, it is not an illegal monopoly -- Anymore than IBM was when it had 97% of the computer market.

A case, at that time, against IBM, was dismisssed by a judge who said, essentially: it is not illegal to dominate a market by providing excellent products, marketing and services. 97% of the maimframe computer market. 97%!

This comes from someone who has been observing Apple for 33 years -- as a user; reseller; supplier; critic; participant in a joint project; shareholder; self-motivated evangelist!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #64 of 225
Quote:

They aren't *that* portable and they don't even come close to the power of a desktop. They also don't sync so you have to be "either-or" for your main computer. Using a desktop as well as a laptop is just awkward at best.

I like the idea of a powerful desktop (if you need it) and iPad for everything mobile. So far this is the perfect combo for me.

You lost me on the 'don't sync' part ...?
post #65 of 225
Maybe it's that thing where the pad docks in the monitor.
post #66 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

This is going to be a struggle first for those of us in technology, as we tend to be wedded to the existing technology paradigm, so look for strong negative reaction by pundits across the board to the new approach when Apple first announces it. Apple stock will inevitably take an initial hit as well (as it seems to do when Apple introduces a new product line). As the iPad demonstrated, if a straight line is drawn from one product to the next (interface-wise for example) consumers have demonstrated that they are willing to make that move much quicker than those of us who are heavily invested in the current technologies..

It's not a matter of being invested in current technologies. It's a matter of what level of usability and efficiency one needs, which is dependent upon the types of applications they use.

There has been a split in the market. For those who browse the web, tweet, play games, read e-books, do light email to which they respond in only one or two sentences and only need very simplified versions of applications, an iPad-type interface makes sense.

For those people who do intensive work such as long documents, big spreadsheets, complex presentations, graphic design, Photoshop, etc., they need something resembling a traditional computer with a full keyboard and large screen real-estate.

I personally think there's going to be a backlash against "the cloud" because people will find how limited they are when they're not connected. Give me the choice of a cloud experience with the frustrations when connections are slow or non-existant and the choice of a computer that weights a pound more and stores my files locally for access at any time and I am ALWAYS going to opt for the latter.

So while I have no doubt that computers will continue to evolve into designs that we can't quite imagine today (at least I can't), I think Apple's got to be careful to preserve appropriate solutions for all markets and not to force "coolness" on us when it has negative impact on power and efficiency.
post #67 of 225
Quote:

A case, at that time, against IBM, was dismisssed by a judge who said, essentially: it is not illegal to dominate a market by providing excellent products, marketing and services. 97% of the maimframe computer market. 97%!

Is that a funny typo, or did you mean it? (I know personally the type of damage mainframes and their associated ecosystems have done to certain people).
post #68 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Maybe Apple is about to take on Google single source of income by going after their search and advertising base.

Abject nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

We didn't enter the search business. THEY made a phone.

post #69 of 225
Quote:

So you've been around
Remember Taligent? I was quite involved with that, lived next door to Sunnyvale. Nobody expected Amelio to just go like that but it was another time of technological turmoil. Still some interesting technology came out of it that even java uses
To say that Steve is headstrong is an understatement, but then that's him. He does it his way! Looking back at NeXT and Pixar you can say in retrospect they were his early attempts at success. He really won (unlike Charlie Sheen who won in his own mind only)
post #70 of 225
Quote:

Nonsense. That's why the Mac Mini and iMac exist.

… WANT. NOW.

Need a more powerful computer? Buy a second box. Need more hard drive space? Buy a Thunderbolt RAID array. Need a more powerful computer after that? Plug the second box into the Thunderbolt RAID array.

This would basically be RAIDed CPUs. Just buy more and plug them in. And obviously knowing Apple, it wouldn't take any setup at all. Entire server rooms would be reduced to plugging in a new box when you needed more processing power.

i never even thought about that ... of course we are used to clusters for rendering in the video pro apps but extend that concept to the entire OS ... brilliant! I take my i7 MBP from where ever I have been using it back to my main desk area and plug in to my large LCD screen and many TB of external disk ... so why not an additional 4 or 8 or even 12 core CPU Apple gizmo or two that are patiently waiting there for me whenever needed. I love that idea.
post #71 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing an anonymous source within the Cupetino-based company's Asian supply chain, hit-or-miss macotakara.jp claims Apple with the help of its component suppliers is gearing up to introduce Macs that are "absolutely different from current products," possibly by the "end of this year."

What I think Apple should produce is a displayless iMac with a few variations: it would use one or more MacBook Air-style SSD drives, use the MagSafe connector for power, and include batteries for uninterruptible power. At least two Thunderbolt ports. No optical drive, one Firewire port, a few USB ports, Ethernet, Bluetooth, WiFi. It should have options for high-end graphics processor support, and be a little larger than a Mac mini, with vertical orientation.

With Thunderbolt, internal drives are unnecessary, and the device could be designed so that processor daughter boards could be added and/or replaced. USB hubs would be easily added. And like the iMac, it should have at least 4 memory slots, which allows for up to 32 GB RAM. Obviously, only low powered fans would be required, so the device should stay very quiet, and require only a small amount of desktop real estate.

The key point to provide expansion capability is designing in multiple daughter boards for the CPUs. But without high power requirements. An Apple Thunderbolt Display is one example of an expansion dock already. A companion product would be a Thunderbolt dock for hard disk drives, optical drives, plus other ports. But it would be an option, not part of the base Device.

This would replace the Mac Pro into the future, based on Apple's penchant for using laptop style components. One of the processor boards could use ARM CPUs, for development or supporting a future version of Mac OS X. Or maybe Mac OS XI.
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini
post #72 of 225
Quote:

i never even thought about that ... of course we are used to clusters for rendering in the video pro apps but extend that concept to the entire OS ... brilliant! I take my i7 MBP from where ever I have been using it back to my main desk area and plug in to my large LCD screen and many TB of external disk ... so why not an additional 4 or 8 or even 12 core CPU Apple gizmo or two that are patiently waiting there for me whenever needed. I love that idea.

Oh, GOSH. I didn't even THINK about being able to plug it into a LAPTOP!

Not just a bunch of RAIDed desktops but if you need more power for your laptop, plug in this new Mac Pro thingy and WHAM you're rendering with the big boys on your tiny MacBook Air!

Crap.

See, this is what happens. We get ourselves all happy about incredibly awesome stuff that Apple will never do. And then it's disappointing when they release whatever they do release.

post #73 of 225
Quote:

Oh, GOSH. I didn't even THINK about being able to plug it into a LAPTOP!

Not just a bunch of RAIDed desktops but if you need more power for your laptop, plug in this new Mac Pro thingy and WHAM you're rendering with the big boys on your tiny MacBook Air!

Crap.

See, this is what happens. We get ourselves all happy about incredibly awesome stuff that Apple will never do. And then it's disappointing when they release whatever they do release.

BUT just maybe Steve follows you and I on AI for his next big idea

Seriously though, I wonder just how small and inexpensive Apple could make such an add on TB based CPU for? BTW not sure way RAID has to do with any of of this.
post #74 of 225
Quote:

Sure they're portable. An iMac or MacPro isn't. Regarding power... what don't they have enough power for? One can also say that a MacPro isn't powerful enough for some tasks. Can you see trying to run an airline reservation system on a MacPro instead of some giant mainframe?

iCloud allegedly takes care of the "either or" question. At lease I guess we'll find out if that's true.
post #75 of 225
Quote:

Apple TV becoming integral within a new wifi only HDTV could considered a transitional product. Just a thought ....

Yeah, I emailed a friend who is an exec in Broadcast TV -- about this, but more about the iPads as Personal TVs over WiFi, around the house. No rebroadcast, no PVR -- whatever comes out of the coax cable just WiFi to the iPads.

A got a short answer that the technology is there, but the politics are not.

We plan to speak later today so maybe I'll be able to flesh-out the answer.

But, based on the above, I don't believe an Apple HDTV/ATV solution fits the timeframe if this rumor:
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #76 of 225
Quote:

… WANT. NOW.

That would be awesome. I don't know if Apple would do it but it would be Apple's answer for a "home" built pc. Except it would be drop dead easy, plug and play.
post #77 of 225
Quote:

BUT just maybe Steve follows you and I on AI for his next big idea

Well, I've had a few people say that I'm Steve Jobs before, so you never know.

For the record, I have no idea why they said that. Probably because when I used to pose my position on something, I was incredibly adamant about it.

post #78 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

* Partnership with several automakers to integrate iOS into dashboard features -- navigation, Airplay integration, automatic syncing of tracks, playlists and apps to an in-car hard drive, etc

This is a tremendous idea, IMHO. Especially with the dawning of LTE, if you build wireless connectivity into automobiles it could then sync via iCloud to everything you have. Imagine your car with a built-in touchscreen running iOS where you can instantly call up all your music to play in the car, get your contacts, make calls with a speakerphone or bluetooth headset, heck even play movies on the drop-down monitors in the back seat. Add in internet for whatever you need and you have quite a system. Wouldn't even need a hard drive with the way SSDs are becoming ubiquitous.
post #79 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Don't think so. A product transition would indicate a transition from an existing product. Like new iPhone or a new MacBook Pro models.

This is reportedly a completely new product.

Macs that are "absolutely different from current products - Sounds like a product transition to me.
jgb
jgb
post #80 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

what a waste of an article. Where is the news in that. Someone predicts that something different will come out in the future. Wow

+1 :d
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple may introduce a radically different Mac product family by year's end