or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple issues iTunes 10.4.1 update

Apple issues iTunes 10.4.1 update

post #1 of 28
Apple has made available a minor update to iTunes that fixes a variety of bugs discovered in the release of iTunes 10.4, such as unresponsiveness when purchasing HD rentals and longer-than-expected launch times.

The new iTunes 10.4.1 update is available from System Update and Apple's download page, which lists a 90.26MB Mac Universal Binary package as well as two Windows versions, one for 32-bit editions and one for 64-bit systems.

Apple's update notes for the new release lists the following improvements:
Fixes a problem where the media keys on some third-party keyboards work inconsistently with iTunes
Addresses issues with adding artwork to songs and videos
Resolves an issue which may cause iTunes to become unresponsive when purchasing an HD movie
Fixes a problem where iTunes may take longer than expected to open after waking your Mac from sleep
Addresses issues with VoiceOver support

Apple has separately issued a 10.5 version of iTunes to developers for testing, which incorporates support for syncing with devices running iOS 5.
post #2 of 28
Updating now ;-)
post #3 of 28
Is there a difference between "fixes", "addresses" and "resolves"?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Is there a difference between "fixes", "addresses" and "resolves"?

Yes, unofficially and between the lines.

Fixes means exactly that.

Addresses means they tried and mostly it works, but in some instances it's still broke.

Resolves means the bug is gone, but just as likely the feature went with it.

Well either that or the copy just reads better without repeating the same term a bajillion times in a vertical row...
post #5 of 28
I'm on the newest 10.5.

STILL inexcusably bad at caching artwork and sort order is STILL completely broken when you switch between any two sections of your library.

Come on, Apple; this is absolutely pathetic.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm on the newest 10.5.

STILL inexcusably bad at caching artwork and sort order is STILL completely broken when you switch between any two sections of your library.

Not that surprising, given all the mistakes lately with Mac software. They really should clean house and hire good designers in the Mac software department, instead of sending them all to iOS.
post #7 of 28
How about "Integrates Lion's 'back/forward' gesture in the iTunes store." Please?
post #8 of 28
Resume playback finally implemented? Such essential feature was available in SoundJam MP back in 2001, from where iTunes was developed.
post #9 of 28
What a bunch of crap. I installed iTunes, repaired permissions and rebooted the computer. I made sure that my mp3 files targeted the new iTunes and clicked Change All. I still can't get artwork to show in the icons in any Finder view for my recently made mp3 files. Copied older mp3 files that do have artwork in the icons, lose the artwork as soon as it's copied to another folder. You'd figure Apple could fix something as simple as that, fer crissakes. In all the years I've been using iTunes, it's the most frustrating simple problem that I've come across. What is so hard about getting mp3 files to show artwork. I guess I'll try deleting all the System caches or something. Maybe there's some other crap that's gotten fouled up. How annoying.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Resume playback finally implemented? Such essential feature was available in SoundJam MP back in 2001, from where iTunes was developed.

What in heaven's name are you talking about?

post #11 of 28
Not nearly as interesting as HP dropping webOS. But news marches on...

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Lol ;-)
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I agree. Best entertainment for ages. Seen the Hitler videos on YouTube? ... there are several versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaeOXyA7wo0&sns=em
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #14 of 28
Not to sound negative, but someone really has to put a limit on how unimportant an article can be before they let the author post it. Are you going to write about it when the program goes from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 next?
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not to sound negative, but someone really has to put a limit on how unimportant an article can be before they let the author post it. Are you going to write about it when the program goes from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 next?

Why not? It gives people a place to talk about problems. That's beneficial isn't it?
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #16 of 28
This still doesn't address the issue where users of wacom tablets can't drag tracks and playlists around - very annoying not being able to create playlists and tidy the library without having to swap input device....
post #17 of 28
Quote:

Been there for ages - get info on a track (or your entire library if you want) and tick "remember playback position" in info.

Can't imagine anything more annoying that going to play a track and being halfway through already though...
post #18 of 28
Quote:

I'm on the newest 10.5.

10.5 is a beta - I assume you're a developer and are reporting your issues to Apple?
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Been there for ages - get info on a track (or your entire library if you want) and tick "remember playback position" in info.

Can't imagine anything more annoying that going to play a track and being halfway through already though...

I did not mean that. I do not want it. Besides that for doing that you must do it manually one-by-one on all the thousands of songs that you may have; but as said, I do not want such feature at all.

What I meant is that you are listening a very long playlist of thousands of songs, quit iTunes, reboot the Mac or shut down the Mac. The next time that you open iTunes it starts from song number one again, but you want it to resume from the last song played (say, song number 1456 or whatever). For me that is the most essential feature missing in iTunes, and as said, such essential feature was available in SoundJam MP back in 2001, from where iTunes was developed.
post #20 of 28
Quote:

Quote:

What in heaven's name are you talking about?

See my answer above.
post #21 of 28
I wonder if there will be a 'total' revamp of iTunes/iPhoto as I'm finding it cumbersome managing photos and videos between the two as almost all new photo cameras do video as well.

Sounds like an iMedia product waiting to happen...
post #22 of 28
Did anyone else notice that iTunes is now 64-bit on Mac OS ? Did that happen with 10.4 and I missed it .. again ...
post #23 of 28
Quote:

See my answer above.

But that's ticked by default and always has been… He can't possibly be complaining about not having a feature that iTunes has had for an entire decade by bringing up decade-old software.

Quote:

10.5 is a beta - I assume you're a developer and are reporting your issues to Apple?

Yes, just pointing out that an update like this is meaningless when they still haven't fixed the real problems in later updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStreet View Post

Did anyone else notice that iTunes is now 64-bit on Mac OS ? Did that happen with 10.4 and I missed it .. again ...

Yes, it did. Yes, you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevc View Post

I wonder if there will be a 'total' revamp of iTunes/iPhoto as I'm finding it cumbersome managing photos and videos between the two as almost all new photo cameras do video as well.

Sounds like an iMedia product waiting to happen...

"Hey, guys, I have a great idea! Let's give iTunes EVEN MORE FREAKING BLOAT."

post #24 of 28
Quote:

"Hey, guys, I have a great idea! Let's give iTunes EVEN MORE FREAKING BLOAT."

Please. iTunes is NOT bloated. It takes up barely any space on my HD and typically uses just 10% of my CPU when running. It's lean and responsive in it's operation. Not bloated.

Do you mean bloated as in features? I'm constantly hearing how iTunes is worthless for missing some such feature or other. If Apple included all the features people wanted, it may get bloated.

Do you mean bloated as in it controls many different media types (audio, photos, video, radio, playlists, books, PDF's, etc)? Personally I like that so much of my media is centrally located and managed without having to open numerous apps. Having it all in one place aslo makes keeping iDevices synched much simpler than if we had to open five different apps to accomplish the same thing.

So yea, iTunes handles many different kinds of media but it does it fairly simply while keeping a small footprint on your Mac.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Please. iTunes is NOT bloated. It takes up barely any space on my HD and typically uses just 10% of my CPU when running. It's lean and responsive in it's operation. Not bloated.

All right. Think what you will. I'm personally still waiting for a complete rewrite from the ground up. Maybe in iTunes 11.

post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Do you mean bloated as in features? I'm constantly hearing how iTunes is worthless for missing some such feature or other. If Apple included all the features people wanted, it may get bloated.

Do you mean bloated as in it controls many different media types (audio, photos, video, radio, playlists, books, PDF's, etc)? Personally I like that so much of my media is centrally located and managed without having to open numerous apps. Having it all in one place aslo makes keeping iDevices synched much simpler than if we had to open five different apps to accomplish the same thing.

So yea, iTunes handles many different kinds of media but it does it fairly simply while keeping a small footprint on your Mac.

This may be true on a Mac but in Windows the iTunes program is a POS. It is nice to have a single application that controls the different media and applications going onto an iOS device, but is NOT responsive.
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkimak View Post

This may be true on a Mac but in Windows the iTunes program is a POS. It is nice to have a single application that controls the different media and applications going onto an iOS device, but is NOT responsive.

OK, I just checked the size of iTunes on an HP Windows machine and it's a whopping 126MB. That's the entire iTunes folder in C:/Program Files/iTunes. Seems rather small to me.

I use iTunes daily on a Windows machine (Intel Core2 Duo 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM running Windows XP) and the only significant difference I've experienced in it's performance compared to my Mac is that it's quite a bit slower to open. Changing songs, searching, changing views, watching video, are all speedy and comparable to my Mac.

Maybe you need more RAM to accommodate a larger iTunes library?
post #28 of 28
I am still having issues copying music onto my iTunes. The music copied turns grey on the list but then it stalls. I have to at least copy one of the songs of the batch again to make it register, then it copies the batch. Really

My iTunes library is on a firewire 800 drive.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple issues iTunes 10.4.1 update