or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › United Airlines uses 11,000 iPads to take planes paperless

United Airlines uses 11,000 iPads to take planes paperless

post #1 of 79
United is the latest airline to ditch pilots' paper flight manuals, having announced today that it is distributing 11,000 iPads across all of its Continental and United flight decks.

Going green with a light and streamlined machine

United said in a press release that its new iPad-bearing pilots will use Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck, "the industry's premier app featuring interactive, data-driven enroute navigation information and worldwide geo-referenced terminal charts. The enhanced full-color, high-quality information display ensures the right information is displayed at the right time."

In addition to having less weight to carry in and out of the plane, the weight savings also saves fuel, while reducing the amount of unnecessary paper used and printed by airlines.

United states that "a conventional flight bag full of paper materials contains an average of 12,000 sheets of paper per pilot. The green benefits of moving to EFBs are two-fold: it significantly reduces paper use and printing, and, in turn, reduces fuel consumption.

"The airline projects EFBs will save nearly 16 million sheets of paper a year which is equivalent to more than 1,900 trees not cut down. Saving 326,000 gallons of jet fuel a year reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 3,208 metric tons."

Credit: American Airlines

iPad mile high club

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration approved the use of iPads to replace paper flight bags of navigation charts and system manuals this spring, with Alaska Air being the first carrier to adopt Apple's tablet.

Other airlines have also rapidly adopted iPad flight bags, including American Airlines and Delta.

New electronic manuals stored on iPads are popular because they can shed around 40 pounds of paper weight per pilot and are also easier to navigate, read and keep up to date, using hyperlinks, color graphics and automatic updates rather than thumbing through reams of paper and needing to cycle out old pages for new pages as information changes.

iPad flight bags are also much cheaper. Alaska Air pilot Jack Long noted he could scrap his $1,414 a year subscriptions to paper maps and charts and replace them with the same maps and charts sent to his two iPads for only $150 a year.
post #2 of 79
iHating Apple trolls have conveniently been silent as the boards have been displaying this development.

They're probably reading this from the comfort of their bathrooms using their new TouchPads.

This is great news for Apple and the airline industry. So much for iPads being toys.
post #3 of 79
How's this for a switch? United chooses the simplified, dead-easy and "just works" iPad for the professional pilots with years of technical training. American chooses the more customizable and geeky (?) Samsung Tab for their "untrained" passengers.

Must be opposite day. . .
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #4 of 79
does this worry anyone?
post #5 of 79
This isn't post-pc...

It is where pc could never go!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #6 of 79
Actually selling my King 90B GPS to get into a new iPad/Jeppesen combo since I don't need the IFR of the 90b...
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

does this worry anyone?

No! There will be one paper copy on the flight -- but, likely the paper copy won't be up to date and the iPads will!
post #8 of 79
Awesome! Paperless cockpits leading the charge to paperless offices-Hopefully
post #9 of 79
Quote:

does this worry anyone?

Naah. Not at all,

Bad enough people are driving cars while texting.

And kids are walking down the street bumping into lamp posts while tweeting.

And train operators in California are face booking with rail fans and causing head on collisions.

By all means, let airline pilots play angry birds while flying the plane.

Welcome to the post pc era folks.
post #10 of 79
Quote:

does this worry anyone?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Angry Birds!
post #11 of 79
Quote:

does this worry anyone?

As a pilot, and as an iPad owner, no; not at all.

What would worry me is to be in a plane where the pilot is digging through a bag trying to find something that is out of date, missing, damaged, or just harder to use than an iPad.
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This isn't post-pc...

It is where pc could never go!

This is post-paper.
post #13 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No! There will be one paper copy on the flight -- but, likely the paper copy won't be up to date and the iPads will!

Greeeeat... "the paper copy won't be up to date", does this worry anyone?
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

As a pilot, and as an iPad owner, no; not at all.

What would worry me is to be in a plane where the pilot is digging through a bag trying to find something that is out of date, missing, damaged, or just harder to use than an iPad.

iPad with a 10 hour battery on an 11 hour flight...
/
/
/

post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The airline projects EFBs will save nearly 16 million sheets of paper a year which is equivalent to more than 1,900 trees not cut down. Saving 326,000 gallons of jet fuel a year reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 3,208 metric tons.

These savings will show up in reduced ticket prices of course.
/
/
/

post #16 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

/
/
/

Perhaps you have heard of this neat-o contraption called an iPad charger? And you do know that you can actually use your iPad while it's charging?

Or are you just being an ass?
post #17 of 79
Winning
post #18 of 79
Quote:

Greeeeat... "the paper copy won't be up to date", does this worry anyone?
/
/
/

Yes. The airline apparently. That's why they are switching to the more reliable ipad.
post #19 of 79
Quote:

/
/
/

That's if it's in use for 10 hours. I doubt they need to have it working that long, unless they're busy playing Angry Birds.
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The airline projects EFBs will save nearly 16 million sheets of paper a year which is equivalent to more than 1,900 trees not cut down. Saving 326,000 gallons of jet fuel a year reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 3,208 metric tons."

It's a start in the right direction! Kudos to the airline industry for embracing technology to save $ and the planet.
post #21 of 79
Will they have to switch them off completely during take off and landing?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 79
Quote:

The iPad 2 claims the same standby time as the iPad 1: 30 days. So unless it's being used continuously at fairly high brightness for 10 hours, it shouldn't even need to be plugged in (which of course it can be).
post #23 of 79
Quote:

does this worry anyone?

No Angry Birds on the flight deck.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 79
Quote:

does this worry anyone?

Why would it? No really!, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Is it because of "Angry Birds" or whatever?... do you really think they don't already have their own iPhone, Droid, iPad, etc available if that's what they want to do?

As for battery life... there are "normal" 110v outlets in the cockpit. (at least on Boeing.)

The paper copy?... it'll be up to date as well. More so than the current "paper" method because it won't be the pilots that have to keep it updated.

(And none of the pilots at United have actually received any of these rumored iPads yet ! )
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #25 of 79
Quote:

They can plug in AC adapter to charge the iPad, I believe. Battery life won't be a prob for 20 hr flights across the Pacific ...
post #26 of 79
Deleted
post #27 of 79
Quote:

/
/
/

You can charge and recharge any electronics on an airplane. An airplane engine is a flying power generator.
post #28 of 79
Quote:

/
/
/

Last time I was on a plane, it used electricity.
post #29 of 79
Quote:

does this worry anyone?

Give us a break. Let's see what's more of a worry:

Pilots being arrested for being drunk before the plane takes off.
Pilots falling asleep and being inattentive resulting in overshooting the runway, or going to wrong city?

And then there's the horrible "Using an iPad instead of searching through reams of papers and binders searching for potentially outdated information when they could find it in seconds with minimal time being taken away from looking out the freaking front window".

Yeah, that's a horrible scenario.
post #30 of 79
Nice. That's it- just "nice"!
post #31 of 79
i was on a five-hour united flight last month, and seated next to a 777 pilot who was hitching a ride home. we had a great chat and he really liked my ipad. he was talking about how they were switching to electronic flight bags, how much he really wanted the ipad, but that he really didn't think united would spend the money for them. glad to see he got his wish.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Will they have to switch them off completely during take off and landing?

No, airplane mode would suffice. Technically the wifi and cell radio frequencies have no effect on the functioning of the aircraft, it is primarily a rule for passengers so that they will pay attention during the flight attendants instructions and also to minimize loose metal objects from sailing around the cabin during take off and landing should there be any unexpected and abrupt movements of the aircraft.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

Awesome! Paperless cockpits leading the charge to paperless offices-Hopefully

I'm just waiting for the paperless toilets.
post #34 of 79
"As Jobs Is My Co-pilot"
post #35 of 79
I just flew across country in my private plane, using the ipad as my SOLE source for charts and plates (with backup paper, just in case). Worked beautifully, and flew many instrument approaches without a hitch. Had a charger, but didn't need it, because on the long stretches of straight and level flight, you can easily close the smart cover, to conserve battery power, if you need to, and you don't need to look at the charts except when changes to routes occur, or during takeoffs and landings. Don't forget that the aircraft avionics are doing all the flying, and the ipad is merely used for situational awareness, not for any primary flying. Software is now being tested to bring inflight weather mapping, but commercial planes have radar anyway, so, once again, an ipad enhances safety, and removes the paper chart distractions. Anything that can be done to remove workload is a benefit. I specifically bought the ipad2 to use for flying, and it has been worth every penny.
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Naah. Not at all,

Bad enough people are driving cars while texting.

And kids are walking down the street bumping into lamp posts while tweeting.

And train operators in California are face booking with rail fans and causing head on collisions.

By all means, let airline pilots play angry birds while flying the plane.

Welcome to the post pc era folks.

You know how I know you aren't a pilot?
post #37 of 79
Outstanding.
post #38 of 79
"iPads to replace paper flight bags

Not to be crude, but... wouldnt the spit-up just slide right off it?
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

iHating Apple trolls have conveniently been silent as the boards have been displaying this development.

Now that the iPad effectively stands alone, they have switched arguments to say that tablets are useless.

This article leans heavily towards the disadvantages of the tablet form factor and does not really site any of the advantages. Does not acknowledge that their are advantages and disadvantages to every form factor.

Engadget
post #40 of 79
Notebook of the near future.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › United Airlines uses 11,000 iPads to take planes paperless