or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS unaffected by malware as Android exploits surge 76%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS unaffected by malware as Android exploits surge 76% - Page 3

post #81 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

A few weeks ago, Cydia demonstrated how this was false by using a PDF vulnerability to jailbreak iPhones. If, instead of jailbreaking, the code had had a nefarious payload, hundreds of thousands of iPhones could have fallen prey to it. Maybe they do, actually, who knows. If I owned a network of millions of comprimised iPhones, I would not brag about it, would you?

Your "factor of security" is actually a false sense of security. At least those guys who use Android know they have to be cautious what they click on. Us on iPhone tend to think we are safe. Cydia proved we were wrong.

In any security attack, you have to consider how quickly a virus or malware can spread in determining how much of a threat they really are to the platform.

When Word macro viruses first hit the scene, they spread like wildfire because they ran as soon as you opened the infected Word doc. And they infected the main template file for Word, and jumped to every Word document you opened. Businesses passed around millions of Word doc every day, so the threat level was extremely high; the viruses were everywhere in a very short period of time.

Virus and malware authors are like terrorists; they are looking for maximum impact. They don't want to work on a virus just to see it shut down after only a few dozen people get infected, because then they've played their hand and their security hole gets patched.

For an iOS user to be hit by a Cydia-style vulnerability, they would need to go to a particular website to get infected, or have a particular file passed around. Good luck trying to force a million people to engage in the exact same behavior.
post #82 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I can see it now - first your show chaos and turmoil, pain and suffering, think medieval images of hell, then pan over to peace and light and joy, etc, think images of Heaven, then pull back to a sign that says Welcome to the Garden, then pull back a little farther and the sign is in the back of an Apple Store, then come down and zoom in as customer is handed their new iPhone and waved on towards the "pearly" gates.

Love it. Dante's Inferno comes to mind for the outside scene and it is out of copyright I assume.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #83 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Anyway, the study is biased. They should compare Androids with Cydia'd iPhones, which are most of them...

10% is most? Do you know what most means?
post #84 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I hope you realize that observation goes both ways, but considering your posting history, I'm afraid you sincerely believe that iOS fanboys are somehow worse, or that there are many more of them.

You can stop being afraid. I don't know any real stats, and I try to base my beliefs on verifiable evidence.
post #85 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I'm sorry that the meaning of my comment went so much above your head. Let's try again: Why do you need to discuss something that is sh1tty?

Why do you feel the need to hang out on/comment on an Apple website?

The fact is that the Google Marketplace is the Wild West -- rife with malware and malicious code, as these figures show.

The reason the App Store, with many more apps and many more sales, does not suffer from this is Apple's security measures.

Sometime when you buy the best, part of the fun is watching others who made poor choices suffering.
post #86 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

10% is most? Do you know what most means?

He thinks it means "Barely any like totally less than 10% but a few more than 5%".

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #87 of 124

McAfee did note that Apple's Mac platform has faced a threat from a fake anti-virus malware called MacDefender. The firm speculated that such attacks would eventually make their way to the iPhone and iPad, calling it a "case of "when" rather than "if.""

And when that happens McAfee will be trumpeting the security of Android because its malware count only went up 70% while the IOS count went up by an infinite percentage! Though the real number remains at 1 not 100,000 or some other huge number.
post #88 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post



[I] think ... Android users are mostly juvenile angry young men with a chip on their shoulder ...



Reality: Most smartphone buyers choose Android.

Put that together with your thought, and ISTM inevitable that you must think that most current smartphone buyers are "juvenile angry young men with a chip on their shoulder".

You may be correct, but I have severe doubts. Got anything other than your thinking process to justify that conclusion?
post #89 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post


(2) the best way to protect a computer operating system from stuff you couldn't anticipate (or fix) is by controlling the input methods (data and apps) rather than giving the user free reign to dump anything they find out there onto their computers


Why does Apple choose to forego the best way to protect OSX? They give their customers free reign to dump anything they find out there onto their Macs.

Why?
post #90 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Reality: Most smartphone buyers choose Android. ...

This is not a true statement. It's more of an extrapolation by yourself based on some fairly dodgy reports of channel sales.

In truth I should have said "most Android lovers" or "most Android aficionado's" rather than "most Android users." A lot of folks use Android because that's what's sold to them, not because they choose it per se.

In any case, it was a statement of what I believe, not what I can prove, and was just a (perhaps poorly worded) preamble to my actual point.
post #91 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is not a true statement. It's more of an extrapolation by yourself based on some fairly dodgy reports of channel sales.

"Android dominates iOS in 2nd quarter, study finds"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...r-study-finds/
post #92 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Why does Apple choose to forego the best way to protect OSX? They give their customers free reign to dump anything they find out there onto their Macs.

Why?

Well there's a whole legacy thing there. Those worms were let out of the can long ago... long before the internet, in fact, and even longer before concerns of viruses were mainstream. It's difficult to abruptly force your long time users to stop doing things one way completely in favor of another. It's even more difficult to abruptly turn your back on the big software houses that still produce value added capabilities which can only be either side-loaded or downloaded from their sites. (Not that Apple hasn't done it on occasion!) If Apple forced users to only get their software through the Mac App store today, you would create a hole in the capability set of Macs. For the moment, that hole would be too large, and the Mac OS resurgence would falter. You can't pull off a stunt like that without some sort of dominance.

It seems to me that Apple is slowly trying to herd those worms back into the can. With the increased visibility and importance of the Mac App store in Lion, a greater fraction of Mac users will get used to obtaining their software that way. Eventually, if the big third party software houses play along, then Apple will lock Mac OS down too. But it is a long road, and I'm not utterly convinced that all the necessary software developers will play ball. If even one new killer application is created for PC's and/or Macs, but that developer does not want to utilize the Mac App store, then you might see a revolt. That would be one ballsy developer, though, and if the Mac OS share is large enough, it would be a case of cutting off your nose just to spite your face. We shall see.

Thompson
post #93 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

With a little bit of intelligence on where you source your apps, the kind of apps you install and checking out app permissions, you can easily avoid any trouble.

You forgot the easiest way to avoid trouble ..... just avoid Android, as 100s of millions of us are. Instead of worrying about .... "where you source your apps, the kind of apps you install and checking out app permissions", we just enjoy our Apple devices. Cheers!
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #94 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Anyway, the study is biased. They should compare Androids with Cydia'd iPhones, which are most of them... and suddenly the picture is different. Or they should compare iPhones with Androids that only run Apps from the official store. Comparing Androids with unofficial stores and iPhones with no Cydia (again... very little subset) is just dishonnest.

Well, that depends on what you are trying to measure.

(1) If you are trying to measure the relative safety of the typical Android purchaser (over ten million per month) including his likely behaviors, versus the safety of the typical iPhone purchaser (a bit less than seven million per month last quarter) including his likely behaviors, then I would say it's appropriate to compare a general Android user (with people grabbing apps from wherever they can find them, at the recommendation of friends, etc) versus a non-jail-broken iPhone user. I would be willing to bet money that iPhones with no Cydia is the vast majority out there. You got Moms, Pops, Teens, Tweens, and Grandparents worldwide getting iPhones at the rate of 20+ million per quarter. I'd bet that 80% of them have never even heard of Cydia let alone jailbroken their phones.

(2) If you are trying to compare the relative safety of the underlying operating systems, as opposed to the walls erected around it, then I agree with your suggestion: compare a general Android phone with a jail-broken iPhone.

Note that the vast majority of consumers are more interested in the answer to number (1). (Edit: that is, if they even bother to ask! But the point of this article is that we are asking the question for them.) At the end of the day, they just want to know, "if I walk out of this store with this device in my hand and just use it however it lets me use it, what is my level of security?" It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the answer is that iOS will provide more protection. But along with that comes the inflexibility that some people don't like. So they jail break their iPhone and ask the other question. In that case, my hunch is that at the end of the day both OS's are going to have enough vulnerabilities that it really won't make a difference which has more. The bottom line there is whether you are power-user enough to maintain your gear, which is a desirable quality if you jailbreak your iPhone anyway.

Conclusion: if you are a power user that wants to "own" his gear through and through, get whichever phone you favor. If that is an iPhone, then jailbreak it. In either case, be freaking careful and know your stuff. If on the other hand you are a casual user that just wants to play with your gear in any way that it lets you, then you'll probably be safer with an iPhone. Your level of happiness with that decision may be inversely proportional to the number of Android (or jailbroken iPhone) capabilities you don't end up with.

Thompson
post #95 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Well, that depends on what you are trying to measure.

(1) If you are trying to measure the relative safety of the typical Android purchaser (over ten million per month) . . .

Actually closer to 18 million per month going by current claims of 600K activations per day.
But that doesn't change my almost total agreement with the majority of your post.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #96 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually closer to 18 million per month going by current claims of 600K activations per day.
But that doesn't change my almost total agreement with the majority of your post.

I wasn't sure what the number was, and didn't feel like looking it up, so I used the word "over" just to be safe and accurate.

Thompson
post #97 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually closer to 18 million per month going by current claims of 600K activations per day.
But that doesn't change my almost total agreement with the majority of your post.

Activations on unique devices after recalls or are we talking total units per month/day in these figures? Google doesn't seem to want to clarify yet Apple is very clear about the number of iPhone sales per quarter.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #98 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

You can stop being afraid. I don't know any real stats, and I try to base my beliefs on verifiable evidence.

"Verifiable evidence" that just happens to skew heavily against Apple and heavily pro Android. Which suggests that you believe Android to be the superior platform. We see the "reasonable" type here all the time-- no histrionics, just always quick to reinforce whatever negative spin about Apple, Apple products or Apple's customers might be applicable, while being equally quick to discount mean talk about Android (or Windows or Linux or whoever et al).

Which is fine, but is just a slightly nuanced version of your own definition of "insecure" which affords you the luxury of pretending to be a dispassionate observer. I actually dislike your type more than the average partisan, because it's smug and dishonest.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #99 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Activations on unique devices after recalls or are we talking total units per month/day in these figures? Google doesn't seem to want to clarify yet Apple is very clear about the number of iPhone sales per quarter.

You're right. It might only be 500K Android devices actually bought and kept each day. The other 100K, 20%, could be returned. Highly unlikely, but certainly plausible to some people.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #100 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad for you.

The post above comparing Android and iOS to city living vs. a gated community is pretty accurate, IMO. Both types of situations appeal to different sorts of people.

Me, after living in an upscale 'burb for over 20 years, at the insistence of my ex-, I'm moving back into the city. And I'm very excited to be doing so.

Well of course you find the gated community metaphor accurate, it's exactly your kind of slightly veiled, draw-your-own conclusions slur. Not for you to just say that you think iOS is boring or for uptight white people or lacks that swashbuckling panache that all the cool kids covet. Just, you know, "different sorts of people."

But of course as metaphors go it's a hopeless hash. What things can you do with an Android phone that you can't do with an iPhone, beyond customizing some things? And how does that relate to the suburbs vs. the city again?

If you insist on this kind of comparison, the more accurate idea would be a city with urban planning compared to one without. In the latter case you get a more livable environment, where amenities are likely to be more easily accessed and standards of design are at least recommended. In the former you get sprawl, unintended consequences, and design/usability collisions that leave you scratching your head wondering what someone was thinking.

There's no reason why a well planned city with well enforced zoning can't be vibrant, exciting, diverse and engaging, just as there's no particular reason that a poorly planned/regulated city is somehow going to take on cool bohemian vibe that flatters one's sense of being a roguish player.

Unless you think Huston is mecca for free thinking?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #101 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Well this isn't really about Apple haters, it's about Android haters. How else would you describe people that do not use Android, yet spend a lot of time trying to convince others how insecure Android is? Do you really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks? Newsflash: not everyone needs constant reassurance.


...but it IS insecure. And one of the hallmarks of quality products (be they film, book, art, tech, or even fast food service) is that people will discuss WHY the product is superior. Perhaps the reason few people rant about iOS on Android sites is the the same as why I never hear people ripping on In-And-Out while eating McDonalds. It has nothing to do with their innate security or lack of need for reassurance. When people talk about quality, it is only natural to talk about WHY it is quality. It has long been a problem that whenever two or more people get together to talk about why something is good, at least one other person, and usually more, are going to hate them for doing it. Rand said it best, "men hate passion." I enjoy quality films...and consequently get deemed as arrogant because their quality is exactly what I like about them. Should iOS fans apologize for talking about why they like something? It's only natural to contrast it with what Doesn't work. If I'm watching Independence Day and enjoying it for being a fun diversion, I have no need to compare it to anything. But if the reason I enjoy something precisely for it's quality, then of course I'm going to compare it to other things that do and do not match it. Everyone engages in this behavior, because that's how we learn what it is that works and what doesn't, what makes something better, and what doesn't. It isn't arrogance, it isn't self righteousness. When people find something that works wonderfully, they are happy to talk about how all the other products they tried didn't measure up. It's normal, healthy human behavior. If I had three tents that leaked, broke, or otherwise didn't work the way I wanted them to, I'm going to A) be excited about the tent that works the way I want, and B) contrast it with the others. This doesn't mean I'm a self righteous, kool-aid drinking tent fan. It isn't sinful to think one product is better than another. It isn't arrogant. If you were assured in your own opinion of android...why the need to rebut everyone?
post #102 of 124
I think one of the things that Apple users get is a hard callous. Look, Android users either want a hacker's phone, which they make a religion, or they want something cheap - or free - phones with a two year subscription and it's a smartphone. That's fine. But I sure wish they'd quiet the ridiculous word salad of moral superiority, the "free" and "open" software from that advertising agency/data farm company. Everything's imperfect, but Apple's shown that, as a hardware seller -- they give the OS away, practically -- and they don't lock you down with authentication. They've also respected the customer's privacy to a far greater degree. That's what you get when you buy Apple. It's not that a Google phone is bad; but the "free" and "open" rhetoric is hard to take, because Apple and Jobs turn, in the Google-boy mind, into Mussolini. Gee, my definition of fascism is really different from yours. I just don't think that a fan of Apple is akin to a storm trooper. He's just using an iPhone. Most people are less likely to root their phones than to call grandma and play games and write business documents in the cloud.
post #103 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

as an owner of every gen of iphone, and an ipad 2 and mac minis and mac books and such, Visa and Amex dont think im an apple hater but it is absolutely a walled garden or gated community if you will...I forget who said this but the best describtion is that the web and internet in general (think wide open) is like a big city, lots of interesting things happening and artsy districts, great indy music scene, night life, farmers markets and such, with downsides like crime. iOS apps are the suburbs, low crime, cookie cutter houses and neighborhood committies that make you explain to your nosey neighbors why you want to paint your house a color other than beige, but its clean predictable and "nice" if you are into that sort of thing..

Perhaps its my libertarian side but Andriod is looking better all the time - I dont like being told that my home screen must be a grid of icons because Steve likes it that way.

Putting your metaphor aside, let me clarify something. You would rather have the ability to put Howdy Doody on your homepage and risk your personal data or bork your phone? So many people criticize Apple users for choosing form over function, but it looks to me that many Android "fans" point blank state that with pride.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #104 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well of course you find the gated community metaphor accurate, it's exactly your kind of slightly veiled, draw-your-own conclusions slur. Not for you to just say that you think iOS is boring or for uptight white people or lacks that swashbuckling panache that all the cool kids covet. Just, you know, "different sorts of people."

But of course as metaphors go it's a hopeless hash. What things can you do with an Android phone that you can't do with an iPhone, beyond customizing some things? And how does that relate to the suburbs vs. the city again?

Not to mention the fact that he can get an iPhone and jailbreak it to get back to "the city". The process is no more difficult than the kind of things he would be doing with his phone (Android or thusly freed iPhone) anyway. And if the point is "I shouldn't have to take this one little step. It should come this way out of the box", then I would answer this: in that case, the kinds of people that WANT security would have to go through a technical procedure in order to make their phones less technical. That's bass-ackwards, as I'm sure anybody can tell. Simple users outnumber the power users by a large margin. They just want to use their cool gear, not maintain it.

The current arrangement (i.e. that iPhones ship in the walled garden and power users can break them free) satisfies the majority of people. So what's left for a "purist" to complain about in practice? The only thing left to complain about is philosophy.

Thompson
post #105 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

I think one of the things that Apple users get is a hard callous. Look, Android users either want a hacker's phone, which they make a religion, or they want something cheap - or free - phones with a two year subscription and it's a smartphone. That's fine. But I sure wish they'd quiet the ridiculous word salad of moral superiority, the "free" and "open" software from that advertising agency/data farm company. Everything's imperfect, but Apple's shown that, as a hardware seller -- they give the OS away, practically -- and they don't lock you down with authentication. They've also respected the customer's privacy to a far greater degree. That's what you get when you buy Apple. It's not that a Google phone is bad; but the "free" and "open" rhetoric is hard to take, because Apple and Jobs turn, in the Google-boy mind, into Mussolini. Gee, my definition of fascism is really different from yours. I just don't think that a fan of Apple is akin to a storm trooper. He's just using an iPhone. Most people are less likely to root their phones than to call grandma and play games and write business documents in the cloud.

Agree with what you said here, and I'll add again what I've said earlier: even if one accepts the Android fan's argument against "walled gardens" on a philosophical level, the argument falls apart in practice, because they can STILL get an iPhone and easily make it into what they want it to be. Sure, then you take the maintenance and support into your own hands, but that's not really much different than the Hardware Vendor / Software Vendor / Telco Carrier run around that you get with Android today. Google wasn't even ready to support its own branded Nexus phone when they began selling it. WTF?!?! These guys are truly wild west.

So other than cost, as you mentioned, there really is no practical argument for Android fans to put down iOS at this point. (They may still want to grouse over the limited hardware feature set of iPhones, but I find the lacking features unpractical too.)

Thompson
post #106 of 124
Quote:
And if the point is "I shouldn't have to take this one little step. It should come this way out of the box",

I'll add to that point by saying that that argument isn't even true because every Android "geek" crows about how s/he can "root" his/her device and load custom ROMs and even denigrate certain handset brands like Motorola who make that process more difficult. None of that is "out of the box."
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #107 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Well this isn't really about Apple haters, it's about Android haters. How else would you describe people that do not use Android, yet spend a lot of time trying to convince others how insecure Android is? Do you really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks? Newsflash: not everyone needs constant reassurance.

Yea I by there is a lot of ios sucks on fandroid forums. Otherwise they would be pretty boring places in my opinion.

Now, I gotta say that what has already been said - android has a lot of app stores, so there are bound to be problems like this. Apples compromise approach to app approval works well enough for me.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #108 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Out of curiosity, what is it exactly that makes GMail 'far, far beyond anything Apple has offered' in terms of security? I have GMail myself, and as far as I know, the only thing I can think of that makes GMail trivially more secure than MobileMe, is that you have to answer a 'secret' question if you want to re-set your password. Hardly airtight, as history has prove a million times (secret questions are useless since the answers are usually extremely easy to figure out).

From my point of view MobileMe and GMail are equally secure, both have the same weakest link, which is the password. Get the password, and you're toast. Trying to guess passwords or actually hack into the system are not really worthwhile for anyone anyway, seeing how many people are so easily tricked by some trivial fishing.

Obviously Google needs to do a better job of advertising its two step authentication if you haven't heard of it.

Basically, you tie your mobile phone to your Google account and when you try to sign in it will send a text message to your phone containing a code that you must enter in order to sign in. This happens after you have supplied the correct password, so even if someone found out your password they would also need access to your phone to get into your account.

There are also iOS and Android apps that can skip the text message part and just generate a code for you and display it on the screen. Setup is really easy.

Anyone using GMail who has not enabled this feature really should do so now. It improves account security so much.
post #109 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well of course you find the gated community metaphor accurate, it's exactly your kind of slightly veiled, draw-your-own conclusions slur.

Please don't attack me personally.


Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not for you to just say that you think iOS is boring or for uptight white people or lacks that swashbuckling panache that all the cool kids covet.

Please don't put words in my mouth. None of those things match my viewpoint.


Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

]There's no reason why a well planned city with well enforced zoning can't be vibrant, exciting, diverse and engaging, just as there's no particular reason that a poorly planned/regulated city is somehow going to take on cool bohemian vibe that flatters one's sense of being a roguish player.

Unless you think Huston is mecca for free thinking?

I have no opinion on whether or not Huston is a mecca for free thinking. I worked in land use and zoning for years, and I think urban planning is essential. I've been to cities with little or no zoning laws, and from what I saw, they were crappy. I support historic district designations, et. al.

You don't know a damn thing about me.
post #110 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Well of course you find the gated community metaphor accurate, it's exactly your kind of slightly veiled, draw-your-own conclusions slur.

Please don't attack me personally.

Man the fuck up!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #111 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Please don't attack me personally.

I'm not remotely attacking you personally, I'm making a point about the sometimes unspoken or slightly vieled but unmistakable bias in your postings. You maintain an attitude of cool detachment (I'm talking about the nature of your posting, not you) while tending strongly towards finding fault with Apple and defending Apple's competitors. Since your'e doing this on an Apple enthusiast site, while sporting what I have to imagine is intended as an ironic name, I'm struck that you might qualify as "insecure" as defined by you in an earlier post.

Quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth. None of those things match my viewpoint.

Fair enough, but endorsing the "Apple is a gated suburb vs. Android is the messy but vital city" carries a clear prejudice that at least resembles my gloss. As I went on to say, it's a pretty foolish equivalency that says more about the people that subscribe to it does about the platforms in question.

Quote:
I have no opinion on whether or not Huston is a mecca for free thinking. I worked in land use and zoning for years, and I think urban planning is essential. I've been to cities with little or no zoning laws, and from what I saw, they were crappy. I support historic district designations, et. al.

You don't know a damn thing about me.

Have you ever seen "Real Life" with Albert Brooks? There's a scene towards the end where he's been called on the carpet by the producers of his disastrous documentary and someone suggests that he's trying to fly a jumbo jet without knowing how to fly a Cessna. He indignantly responds that he in fact has has his flying certificate, to which a producer suggests that he's missing the point. He launches into a hilarious diatribe about his frequent flyer miles, his gold pass to the VIP club at numerous airports and his personal relationships with airline pilots, finishing with a withering "missing your point."

Well, that.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #112 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Reality: Most smartphone buyers choose Android.

Put that together with your thought, and ISTM inevitable that you must think that most current smartphone buyers are "juvenile angry young men with a chip on their shoulder".

You may be correct, but I have severe doubts. Got anything other than your thinking process to justify that conclusion?

Then I suppose, most car drivers choose the hyundai sonata based on your logic....Choosing does imply preferring!

They choose FREE or CHEAP, not android.... Not because they prefer it, but because of their constraints! Big difference!
post #113 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Then I suppose, most car drivers choose the hyundai sonata based on your logic....Choosing does imply preferring!

They choose FREE or CHEAP, not android.... Not because they prefer it, but because of their constraints! Big difference!

That's a big claim. What evidence do you have that most buyers don't really want an Android phone, just stuck with one because they can't afford Apple?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #114 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

I wonder if apple haters will try and claim this is still just security through obscurity?

In reality, secured app store, aka "walled-gardens" FTW.

+1000 for you 
post #115 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedlobster View Post

it's not our fault android is sh1tty. :d


+1
post #116 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Been using Android since around 2007, not one instance of Malware on any of my devices.

With a little bit of intelligence on where you source your apps, the kind of apps you install and checking out app permissions, you can easily avoid any trouble.

Some many need someone else to wipe their bottoms and that's cool, I'm big enough, clever enough and ugly enough to wipe my own thanks.

But when it comes to this you are actually in a minority and that is the problem, the vast majority don't understand technology & then many exploits also use those people to reach out to their circle of friends & family. I don't want my info shared with others & so when anyone in my circle of friends or family comes showing me their flashy new Android system I get a bit nervous.

Does it matter to me that people use Android? Heck yes it does!! What you do doesn't just effect you, it effects everyone around you. Luckily for your friends you have some technical sense about you, I'm not always so lucky in mine.
post #117 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

I wonder if apple haters will try and claim this is still just security through obscurity?

In reality, secured app store, aka "walled-gardens" FTW.

Funny, because Android is about choice! Android can be a walled garden too - and you won't get any malware.

But because Android is about choice, you can venture out of the walled garden. Malware is an unfortunate side effect - but if you don't want to deal with it, you don't have to venture out! Simple really.

What's more strange is the constant bagging of Android here. On Android forums iOS doesn't even rate a mention. Nobody cares about it! Sounds like some people are very threatened!
post #118 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Fair enough, but endorsing the "Apple is a gated suburb vs. Android is the messy but vital city"

No - Android is more like the gated community, that you can leave if you like.

iOS is more like a gaol that you can't leave - even if you want to!

I guess they call it "Jailbreaking" for a reason..............
post #119 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Excuse me, but how is that application even remotely classifiable as malware?

It's an app that is intentionally crafted to deceive uses into parting with their cash.

Sure the payload is small (99c per user) but the overall impact would be larger than anything on Android.

I'd say there is some malicious intent behind that.

If you honestly think there is nothing wrong what these guys did you should go and put a bunch of $599 items on eBay listed as "64GB Apple iPad 2 WIFI 3G" with images of an iPad 2.

Then, somewhere in the description, write "This item is a picture of an iPad 2" and when someone wins a bid send them a photo of an iPad 2.

I'm sure that would go down really well
post #120 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthia01 View Post

Funny, because Android is about choice! Android can be a walled garden too - and you won't get any malware.

But because Android is about choice, you can venture out of the walled garden. Malware is an unfortunate side effect - but if you don't want to deal with it, you don't have to venture out! Simple really.

What's more strange is the constant bagging of Android here. On Android forums iOS doesn't even rate a mention. Nobody cares about it! Sounds like some people are very threatened!

The big difference between Android sites and here is that there aren't any iOS partisans on Android sites telling everyone they're wrong. Insecure, you say?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS unaffected by malware as Android exploits surge 76%