or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint predicted to sell 1.2M iPhones in Apple's largest holiday quarter ever

Sprint predicted to sell 1.2M iPhones in Apple's largest holiday quarter ever

post #1 of 12
The addition of Sprint as the third iPhone carrier in the U.S. would add 1.2 million sales this year, helping Apple achieve its strongest holiday quarter ever, according to one analysis.

Maynard Um with UBS Investment Research sees Sprint selling about 1.2 million iPhones in the fourth quarter of calendar 2011. Sprint is the third-largest carrier in the U.S. with 52 million subscribers, well behind market leaders AT&T, with 99 million customers, and Verizon, with 106 million subscribers.

"We believe that the addition of Sprint as a carrier for iPhone is a logical extension of Apple's strategy," Um wrote in a note to investors on Wednesday. "The company has increasingly moved away from the exclusive carrier model and has been using country and carrier expansion as one way to drive growth of its iPhone & iPad lines."

The analysis came in response to a report issued on Tuesday by The Wall Street Journal, which claimed that Sprint will join AT&T and Verizon for a mid-October launch of the fifth-generation iPhone. That timeframe is slightly later than Um had anticipated a new iPhone to arrive, but he does not expect a mid-October launch to have a material impact on Apple's bottom line for the current quarter.

Increasing iPhone sales quarter after quarter have helped to propel Apple to new heights, with record sales and profits a common occurrence. In its last fiscal quarter, the Cupertino, Calif., company sold 20.34 million iPhones, its most ever in a three-month frame.

Um expects that upward trend to continue this holiday season, aided largely by the anticipated launch of the iPhone 5 on three major carriers in the U.S. Combined with the launch of iCloud and continuing strong performances by the iPad and MacBook Air lineups, he believes the end of 2011 will be the strongest holiday quarter in Apple's entire history.

Presuming the iPhone does debut on Sprint's network in October, Um also anticipates that a 3G-capable iPad model compatible with Sprint's network will also debut in calendar 2012. He sees that as yet another catalyst to drive sales and profits even higher.

Um did not offer a prediction on Sprint iPhone sales in 2012, but analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray forecast on Tuesday that the addition of Sprint will add 6 million sales over the next calendar year. For comparison, in the last quarter, AT&T activated 3.6 million iPhones, while Verizon's activations totaled 2.3 million.
post #2 of 12
If Sprint can give me decent coverage inside my house (unlike Verizon or ATT, which are both sketchy), I'm-a switchin'....
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I only pay $40 a month for my SERO Premium plan

Pretty safe bet that that will stop existing the second they get the iPhone.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pretty safe bet that that will stop existing the second they get the iPhone.

That was my thought exactly. No way they're going to let anyone wanting an iPhone to have that plan. You will keep the phone you have and your plan, but the minute you want a new phone, you'll probably have to switch your plan too.
post #5 of 12
Quote:

If it doesn't have at least a 4" screen, I might go with the SII. I would prefer a 4.3" iPhone but I very much doubt that would happen.

Pretty safe bet that this won't happen. Very few people can put that big of a screen in their pockets, because most don't have pockets that big. So it's a safe bet that even if the screen size does go up, it'll go up minimally, like 3.7" but without compromising the size. To be honest, I'd prefer a smaller screen phone. But that's just me... and it's likely it won't happen either. And weren't we surviving on phones that had 2" screens half a decade ago? What's this craze for ever bigger screens? Pretty soon we'll have iPad-like devices in our pockets
post #6 of 12
Quote:

And those 2" screen phones sold half a decade ago were heavier and bulkier than any 4.3" or even 4.5" phone sold today.

And these were heavier and bulkier than those phones. But people wouldn't be caught dead with one today, just as people wouldn't have bought into a 2" touchscreen half a decade ago.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Pretty safe bet that this won't happen. Very few people can put that big of a screen in their pockets, because most don't have pockets that big. So it's a safe bet that even if the screen size does go up, it'll go up minimally, like 3.7" but without compromising the size. To be honest, I'd prefer a smaller screen phone. But that's just me... and it's likely it won't happen either. And weren't we surviving on phones that had 2" screens half a decade ago? What's this craze for ever bigger screens? Pretty soon we'll have iPad-like devices in our pockets

If an edge-to-edge screen can be produced, then Apple can increase the screen size to 4" without increasing the phone size (http://bit.ly/rrKpCH). But this would mean a decrease in DPI. Would Apple regress in Retina display specs?
post #8 of 12
Quote:

And these were heavier and bulkier than those phones. But people wouldn't be caught dead with one today, just as people wouldn't have bought into a 2" touchscreen half a decade ago.

Yeah, but in those days, with 'em bricks, no man needed to stuff a sock in his pants.
post #9 of 12
I might be the only one who has difficulty believing this rumor, but there you go.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 12
Quote:

If that were true then why is there a market for a case that makes an iPhone look like one of those?
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

If that were true then why is there a market for a case that makes an iPhone look like one of those?

Because there isn't one? (A market for it. I know there's a case like that; there's no market for it.) It's a joke. It's not meant to be usable.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Yeah, but in those days, with 'em bricks, no man needed to stuff a sock in his pants.

Yep, back in the day those phones were total chick magnets anyway.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Sprint predicted to sell 1.2M iPhones in Apple's largest holiday quarter ever
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint predicted to sell 1.2M iPhones in Apple's largest holiday quarter ever