or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

post #1 of 329
Apple co-founder Steve Jobs announced on Wednesday that he is no longer fit to serve as the company's chief executive officer, officially resigning from the position, which has been filled by Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook.

The announcement came Wednesday evening in a press release directed at the Apple Board of Directors, as well as the company's community. Jobs said he would like to stay on as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee, a wish that was granted by the board.

"Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company," said Art Levinson, Chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's Board. "Steve has made countless contributions to Apple's success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple's immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

He also recommended that Cook, who has fulfilled Jobs' duties as CEO during his medical leave, take over as the chief executive. The board also agreed with Jobs' assessment, and Cook is now CEO.

"The board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO," Levinson said. "Tim's 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does."

Jobs' resignation was submitted to the Apple Board of Directors Wednesday. His role on the board, as well as Cook's election to the board, are both effective immediately.

Jobs has long maintained that his health is a private matter. His public letter issued on Wednesday made no mention of his current medical condition. Jobs had been on medical leave since January, and has had a long bout with cancer.

Jobs' full letter is included below:

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apples CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apples brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.
post #2 of 329
As expected. Good luck Steve.
post #3 of 329
God damn it...he must think he's out of time...
post #4 of 329
Just saw this on Fox business. Oh my!
post #5 of 329
Live long Mr. Jobs
post #6 of 329
Please God don't let him be that sick.
post #7 of 329
Bummer. I really hope this doesn't come across as crass, but I don't want to see a Steve Jobs obit for a long time.
post #8 of 329
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
post #9 of 329
We love you, man!

Long Live Apple & Steve Jobs.
post #10 of 329
So sorry....
post #11 of 329
Wow!

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #12 of 329
Oh nooooo! This isn't good! I wish there was some way we could help.

Steve, or Steve's people, if you're reading these comments, be at peace, you did plenty. And you've been a huge personal inspiration to me.
post #13 of 329
You will be missed Mr. Jobs. May your days be better ones.

Away from the field goes a great man...
post #14 of 329
He has to be too sick to continue. Godspeed, Steve.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 329
Since he wants to stay on as Chairman I hope that means that his health is not any worse and he just needs to slow down. I wish you best of luck Steve. Thanks for all of your hard work. Well done.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

You will be missed Mr. Jobs. May your days be better ones.

Away from the field goes a great man...

Jesus...... I wish him nothing but the best.... Eat some fruit, watch some TV... Kiss a girl. Enjoy life.
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
post #17 of 329
oh no!
post #18 of 329
Steve -

Your leadership and vision have been second to none. I hope that you can have more time with your family now, and that your health by some miracle improves. You've been my inspiration, you've shown us a future that 'just works'. Thank you always.
post #19 of 329
Take care Steve. Tim Cook is good hands.
post #20 of 329
Glad I don't own Apple stock right now because it's going to kind-of-suck for shareholders tomorrow.

Steve Jobs was the man (and my favorite cult leader), and Apple is going to struggle a while without him.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #21 of 329
Godspeed, Steve. And whatever your future may hold, know that you leave a lasting and amazing legacy. You will not be forgotten.
post #22 of 329
I hope he stays on as long as possible. Even as Chairman of the Board, Apple Employee and Director, he will have more time to take care of himself.
post #23 of 329
A job well done Steve. Congrats on a great career. Your achievements go down in history similar to that of Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, and the like.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #24 of 329
We love you Steve. Relax and have a well deserved rest.
post #25 of 329
Thank you Steve!

Take care of your health and the most important things in life.

I appreciate your leadership and hope you have a long life.
post #26 of 329
Hopefully this will allow him the time to focus on health and recover. And hopefully the quality of apple's products do not start to slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #27 of 329
It is indeed a sad day. All the best.
post #28 of 329
Even without Steve apple will survive. He'll live happy knowing he has changed the face of this planet forever and has achieved his life goal of pure simplicity in technology. I just hope Tim cook was a better option than jony Ives...
post #29 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Since he wants to stay on as Chairman I hope that means that his health is not any worse and he just needs to slow down. I wish you best of luck Steve. Thanks for all of your hard work. Well done.

Yep, and good on him.

I have to admit, I've never understood why people who have been so successful keep working everyday - I'd want to enjoy the fruits of my labors. Probably one of the reasons the Steve Jobs of this world achieve so much more than me!

However, considering the mans successes, he deserves to slow down and enjoy a more relaxing time.
post #30 of 329
Good luck to Steve. Hope he's well. Tim Cook is going to make an awesome CEO. Apple's recent success has had the COO's fingerprints all over it.
post #31 of 329
This move is long overdue. But how could he not know if the board wants him to stay on as chair? That part of this announcement strikes me as very strange indeed.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #32 of 329
Thank you for all you have given to the world's communications system. And thank you for your great vision to help so many people create better than they would have otherwise done.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #33 of 329
iSad

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #34 of 329
God's speed, Mr. Jobs.
post #35 of 329
as an Android fan I must give credit where it is due. your vision has jumpstarted tech by half a decade and brought more people into the 21st century than anyone else. Hope you get well and live out the remainder of your days in complete peace.

Stay strong.
post #36 of 329
Farewell
post #37 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

iSad

best worded
post #38 of 329
I want to see the stocks tomorrow... Hah
post #39 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This move is long overdue. But how could he not know if the board wants him to stay on as chair? That part of this announcement strikes me as very strange indeed.

Why do you you say that? The board probably did not not get advanced notice of his decision. It was polite and humble, plus it might be an effort to cushion the stock hit tomorrow.

post #40 of 329
The stock hasn't fallen much in after-hours trading which just resumed few minutes ago (down about 5% to 355). I suspect it will fall more in the morning, but I think investors are in "wait and see" mode.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO