or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO - Page 4

post #121 of 329
If it can be done, Mr. Jobs will invent iLife and live on forever.
post #122 of 329
Bear in mind that:

(1) The role of CEO of the world's most valuable technology company would exhaust most, completely fit men. Fortunately, Tim Cook is up to the task!

(2) Steve is probably recognising the fact that after such an extended period of time as acting CEO, Tim would be under unreasonable pressure having to report to someone who might not, from day-to-day be available.

Hopefully, this decision will give Steve a greater opportunity to manage his health issues effectively.

Get well Steve!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #123 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

iSad

I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

It's the end of an era that will be studied by business students for decades. Turning a near-brankrupt company into the world's most valuable one in less than 15 years. Arguably inventing the iPod and the iPad and entering a saturated cell phone market and dominating it in 2-3 years.

A remarkable man and a reminder that sickness has not the wisdom to choose its victims. I hope he can restructure his life to regain his strength. Flawed or not, Steve Jobs is the name that will always stand above all others when people look back at the birth of the personal computing age.

I have a lot of confidence in Tim Cook and wish Steve Jobs good health and a long life.

Well said. My true hope is that he will have the opportunity to spend more time with his family and have an opportunity to enjoy the fruits of his labor.
post #124 of 329
He knew he was not going to be there forever.
He did the right thing at the perfect time.
Now Tim Cook can have iOS 5, iPhone 5 and iPad 3 under his belt & the world will see that Apple will survive without SJ.

Best wishes Steve.
post #125 of 329
Thanks for all the wonderful gifts Steve! Grab a girl and enjoy the rest of the ride!
post #126 of 329
Simply put, Steven P. Jobs is a brilliant genius. The type of legend that only comes once per generation....

...or even once per century.

Fight, Steve, fight!!! Fight just as hard as you did for Apple when you rejoined 14 short years ago..... and proceeded to change the world.

I wish you well, my friend, a friend I've never met. Yet you have influenced my life, for the better, more than any person I have ever known.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #127 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Thanks for all the wonderful gifts Steve! Grab a girl and enjoy the rest of the ride!

He's married with kids.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #128 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This move is long overdue. But how could he not know if the board wants him to stay on as chair? That part of this announcement strikes me as very strange indeed.

I would imagine that it was politeness on his part, and who knows, maybe a bit of calculation.

There would be no way that the board wouldn't want him to retain that title. It's very likely that his role in the company will remain exactly as it is. It's the role best suited to him.

Of course, we expected Tim Cook to succeed him as he said the succession plan indicated. At least now we can stop seeing all the inane articles about how the board is looking outside the company for a successor.
post #129 of 329
live long and prosper! Thanks for the many memories and the "one more thing"! You will be missed
post #130 of 329
To all those fretting about the stock price, don't !!

Investors have known for a long time that this day would come. That is why the stock has been trading at such a low valuation. Aside from a low price to earnings ratio, Apple has cash and marketable securities on its balance sheet of $81 per share, and is adding to it at the rate of $44 per year and the rate is growing !! Now that the news is out, I would not be surprised to see the stock reach new highs in a few weeks.

Second, Steve is continuing as Chairman of the Board. So, he will still be involved and that probably means that his health is stable.

Third, he is entitled to spend his time any way he wants. He has given a lot to Apple for many years. I am sure he wants to spend more time with his family and engage in other pursuits for the rest of his life (which could very well be for a very long time).

Steve is the most remarkable entrepreneur, innovator, and businessman in the history of business. Nobody even comes close. Apple is a remarkable company and will continue to be for quite some time.
post #131 of 329
post #132 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Jackass. Don't you have something better to do, like go lob unsold TouchPads at cars on the freeway?

Would you prefer that he say something like "Just don't get cancer that way"?
post #133 of 329
The actual resignation letter can be viewed here if you wish>
http://nan.visibli.com/share/yQkB2o
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #134 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I suspect you are right, and this was the other implication of the announcement. The succession was probably all but done six months ago, which makes me wonder yet again why it took so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Cook is not charismatic in any sense of the word which is probably better for Apple right now. Trying to find another genius to replace Jobs is not going to be easy, but again I think that may also be part of the eventual succession plan. Fortunately, Apple, I'm sure, has a business plan and product pipeline several years forward, mainly inspired by Steve, so there is no rush to find a new visionary, but, I think eventually they are going to need one.

I almost don't want to post this... As this thread is about Steve Jobs.

Tim Cook has had a few public interviews and the earnings calls -- where he demonstrates confidence, succinctness, humor and total command of the situation... That is kind of charasmatic in its own way,

One question that I haven't heard asked... Who will replace Tim Cook?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #135 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Steve Jobs was the man (and my favorite cult leader), and Apple is going to struggle a while without him.

Rubbish. To consumers, I doubt we will see any changes in Apple or its products in the next 2-3 years because Steve is no longer CEO. Especially considering he will still be working with the company.

After Steve no longer has any input at all at Apple, it will probably take another year or two after for us to see/feel any difference.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #136 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Please God...

Let Steve have "just one more thing"

Just want to say thanks, Steve! From the 1st computer: Apple II, I helped me great deal and improved career and life alike. Glad you will be the Chairman and employee of Apple. whew! still need you to show some magic to update my G4 i-Mac. The i-pod like Mac-Pro just not cut it. With you on board, I sure can wait a bit longer. Thanks for the wonderful products you and Steve W created. It enrich life and fatted pockets a bit (brought few shares of Apple around the time you got back to Apple. brought few of BEOS too. Both are my "mad money" investment for good engineering work). Good luck and Best wishes to you Health, Wealth and Happiness.
post #137 of 329
Truly a sad day.....

I wish him and his family well....
post #138 of 329
I pray that you are healed Steve first for your loved ones and second for all of us whom you have inspired and built up. Your products changed my life for the better in so many ways I can't begin to number. Godspeed. You are loved by so many.
post #139 of 329
I have criticized Apple lately for several things: but never Mr Jobs! Everything he has done and said has panned out! The whole industry today operates on his vision. His influence is too large to measure. The man improved a lot of lives! I tell him thanks and wish him everything golden!
post #140 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

One question that I haven't heard asked... Who will replace Tim Cook?

Yeah, and then who will replace *them*?
post #141 of 329
I'm glad he's still Chairman of the Board of Apple. Tim's been running the show for a while and has done a great job. It's great that Steve's not totally out of the picture. I hope this decision is for other personal reasons and not health.
post #142 of 329
Thank you for sharing your vision with us all. You changed the way we work, play and live. Thanks for showing them how it is done. Best wishes on your retirement.

keynotes will never be the same...
post #143 of 329
Bah.

Apple is screwed.

The Mac will die again, Microsoft will rule supreme. Android will take over in tablets and phones and nobody will care about Apple in five years time.

I guess the company was doing too good, now it will come crushing down.
post #144 of 329
Quote:

Glad I don't own Apple stock right now because it's going to kind-of-suck for shareholders tomorrow.

Steve Jobs was the man (and my favorite cult leader), and Apple is going to struggle a while without him.

Actually, if I didn't have two kids in University, I'd be a buyer.

The way Steve micro-manages, and knowing his health was failing, do you really think that he didn't have a plan in place? Steve's instilled his vision with Apple's team. It won't be the same, but I am not worried in the slightest. Tim Cook and the team will a good job.
post #145 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Then Steve turns to the board as he's walking out the door to say;

"Oh, one more thing.

I just bought HP".
post #146 of 329
Breaking: Samsung to make announcement that there CEO stepping down next week.
post #147 of 329
So sad.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #148 of 329
Godspeed Steve!!
post #149 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Bah.

Apple is screwed.

The Mac will die again, Microsoft will rule supreme. Android will take over in tablets and phones and nobody will care about Apple in five years time.

Yes, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Also, Nixon is going to be elected to a third term as President in 2012.
post #150 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarky View Post

breaking: Samsung to make announcement that there ceo stepping down next week.

lol!!! Wait wait..... Lol!!!
post #151 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

....One question that I haven't heard asked... Who will replace Tim Cook?

You haven't heard it asked because it's a ridiculous question.
post #152 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Bah.

Apple is screwed.

I have to disagree with you, I have used Windows based computer for over 15 years, this year I purchased my first MacBook Pro, and I will never go back to a Windows based computer again.
I believe that Tim Cook will be able to fill Mr. Jobs shoes, and Apple will contiune to grow and continue to innovate for a long, long time, and along the way put a hurting on more companies like they did to HP
post #153 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

I have to disagree with you, I have used Windows based computer for over 15 years, this year I purchased my first MacBook Pro, and I will never go back to a Windows based computer again.
I believe that Tim Cook will be able to fill Mr. Jobs shoes, and Apple will contiune to grow and continue to innovate for a long, long time, and along the way put a hurting on more companies like they did to HP

I'm pretty sure about one thing - none of us know how any of this plays out... carry on with your day.
post #154 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I have criticized Apple lately for several things: but never Mr Jobs! Everything he has done and said has panned out! The whole industry today operates on his vision. His influence is too large to measure. The man improved a lot of lives! I tell him thanks and wish him everything golden!

Hear-hear!!
post #155 of 329

Ok, well, yea ...

When they carry his body out of the Building

Or off that new 'Mothership' thingy

Still his Soul will ever remain

Now, this current 'resignation' ?

Good for Tim Cook, probably been doing it a while anyway

May even get a raise ? ... and does Steve lose his $1 year ? (ha ha)

But know this - just so much 'paper/title/legal/smeagle shuffle'

Apple is reaching Critical Mass - Perpetual Motion

What was Cult has become Institution

Not really because of some TechnoBox Electronic iGizmo

But the 'Liberal Arts' side of that Famous Intersection

Steve, Woz, many others

Got this Baby Born and Growing

The Adult is ready

Change The World™

post #156 of 329
Thank you, Steve.
I will miss you.
Bless you and your family.\
post #157 of 329
It's a bit erroneous to say that Jobs announced he was no longer 'fit' for the job. He said no such thing. He said he couldn't meet the needs of the job. Very likely because he has more important things that must take up his time (like his health). The job requires lots of travel, long days and long weeks etc and he will he could do them it is not in his best interest to continue in that way. So he isn't.

I am more shocked that it took this long. I figured this would have happened 2-3 months ago

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #158 of 329
Quote:

... and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

My gratitude for your innumerable contributions, Steve. Most have been touched by them in a variety of ways; many, without comprehending your connection. I have profited from your vision and sense of purpose. I have benefited from your lessons.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

post #159 of 329
Quote:

Glad I don't own Apple stock right now because it's going to kind-of-suck for shareholders tomorrow.

Not really. If it dives I plan to buy more. My current investment is still worth more than twice what I paid for it.
post #160 of 329
Tim cook is awesome, but it's the fact of Steve + Tim was the killer combo.

Tim is an operations guy, what makes Apple great is there great products. Who is going to be steering the ship in regards to those great products and the next insanely great thing. That's what Apple is losing today.

Your not going to get the next iPad, iPhone, iPod.

Apple are going to stay great at operations but a big question mark hangs over the future products. For sure in the short term they will be fine. But longer term? They might start becoming like HP and Dell a little too much. Everybody may say no, but it already happened to Apple before. Might be in a much better position now, but there is nobody to fill that gap that we are aware off.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO