or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO - Page 2

post #41 of 329
Very sad news.
post #42 of 329
The stock has already lost more than $22 per share in after hours trading...ugh...
post #43 of 329
He's not gonna make it around this time guys. He's already got dozens of Angels surrounding him. Mark my word.
post #44 of 329
Really? The man is sick and you have to act like this is good news? Never come on here talking about one of your loved ones being sick or dying. I'm apt to throw a party.

Banned the fucker - JL
post #45 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs announced on Wednesday that he is no longer fit to serve as the company's chief executive officer, officially resigning from the position, which has been be filled by Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook.

And now a quake strikes California too...
post #46 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

as an Android fan I must give credit where it is due. your vision has jumpstarted tech by half a decade and brought more people into the 21st century than anyone else. Hope you get well and live out the remainder of your days in complete peace.

Stay strong.

You rock.
post #47 of 329
The absolute best to you, Steve... you changed our lives!

It hasn't always been easy, but it's been worthwhile...

I can't conceive how you could have done it any better!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #48 of 329
Jackass. Don't you have something better to do, like go lob unsold TouchPads at cars on the freeway?

Banned the asshole - JL
post #49 of 329
I'm very sad about what this implies about his health. He has really shaped our world in so many ways (not just with technology, but also, and maybe especially, our sense of aesthetics).

I'm not concerned at all about the health of Apple as a company. This is the most successful company in the world and it will undoubtedly remain so.
post #50 of 329
I hope he's ok.

Apple's going to be ok and will continue to grow. They've got the BEST management team EVER.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #51 of 329
Steve you are amazing, please get well soon.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #52 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This move is long overdue. But how could he not know if the board wants him to stay on as chair? That part of this announcement strikes me as very strange indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why do you you say that? The board probably did not not get advanced notice of his decision. It was polite and humble, plus it might be an effort to cushion the stock hit tomorrow.

Yeah, it's called "humility" and "diplomacy". Skills sorely lacking in the modern world, but apparently yet another attribute of Mr. Jobs.
post #53 of 329
Big news indeed. Best of luck to them both, Tim and Steve.
post #54 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why do you you say that? The board probably did not not get advanced notice of his decision. It was polite and humble, plus it might be an effort to cushion the stock hit tomorrow.

If so, it hasn't worked. Last I checked, AAPL is down over 6% in after-hours trading. This is the kind of matter the board would typically discuss before anyone puts anything in writing. Quite possibly they did, because the board apparently granted his request promptly, but the wording of Steve's letter makes it sound like his remaining on as chair might have been in doubt. I don't buy the humility argument.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #55 of 329
Quote:

This move is long overdue. But how could he not know if the board wants him to stay on as chair? That part of this announcement strikes me as very strange indeed.

I would say for both formality and as a politeness to the current chairman of the board at Apple.
post #56 of 329
Give him a break and good luck to him and his family, that is what is important not Apple, that will take care of itself.
post #57 of 329
A measure of his stature as a leader is that, during his second tenure at Apple, he had no equal anywhere in the world, in business, academia, or the public sector, as someone with a singular vision of excellence and the ability to move people toward that goal.

I wish you well, steve.
post #58 of 329
shine on, Steve. and thank you for everything...

***not a day has past for over 20+ years now, that i have not used one of apple's incredible, ever improving products! thank you for your vision.
post #59 of 329
reading the comments on gizmodo and engadget and it is horrifying to see how heartless, egotistical, and just plain retarded some tech fans are. absolutely heartbreaking. for the heartlessness yes but also for the sheer blindness some have when it comes to certain contributions this man has made to the world of technology and beyond. just because they don't like the iPhone or the iPad or because they've had one too many 'android kool aids'... unbelievable how little perspective some people can have... and I suspect they are all quite young and have little life experience. oh well.
post #60 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

iSad

iSecond that.
post #61 of 329
Why don't you go play with your flashing LED stuffed, gaming PC???
post #62 of 329
Peace Steve
post #63 of 329
Created just a few days ago...little did we know Steve was about to resign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvL5bEQUAro
post #64 of 329
32 years ago my dad brought home an Apple II Plus. That moment changed our lives forever. Thanks and namaste, Steve!
post #65 of 329
I'm sure Apple will continue business as usual with plenty of innovative new products to come.

Steve Jobs has contributed so much, best wishes with a well deserved rest.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #66 of 329
Steve, spend all the time in the world with your family and children, this company you so splendidly crafted will continue to flourish and remain the worlds premiere technology company. Best regards with your health and family, it was an honor having you at the helm of such a great company, and your genius has enriched all our lives.
post #67 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Glad I don't own Apple stock right now because it's going to kind-of-suck for shareholders tomorrow.

It's down about 5% in after hours - and fairly steady. That's about what I would have expected.

It won't take long before the street regains its confidence in Cook - probably about the time of the first major product launch.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #68 of 329
YOU WILL FOREVER BE MY HERO STEVE! we love you!

GET WELL SOON!

post #69 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

The stock has already lost more than $22 per share in after hours trading...ugh...

That's really the least important thing at this point. Idiots will short AAPL right on schedule.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 329
Best of luck to you Steve. I can only imagine what my life at work and at home would be without Apple products. Thank you so very much.
post #71 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Bummer. I really hope this doesn't come across as crass, but I don't want to see a Steve Jobs obit for a long time.

Not at all crass. This is sad news and we can only hope that Mr. Jobs might live a long life, even if he isn't well enough to devote his full energy to running Apple. Being sick can be a full time job in and of itself. For myself, this news just makes me very, very sad.
post #72 of 329
Eleven years after my first Mac purchase, it's hard to think of the company without him. Thanks, Steve. Best of luck.
post #73 of 329
It's the end of an era that will be studied by business students for decades. Turning a near-brankrupt company into the world's most valuable one in less than 15 years. Arguably inventing the iPod and the iPad and entering a saturated cell phone market and dominating it in 2-3 years.

A remarkable man and a reminder that sickness has not the wisdom to choose its victims. I hope he can restructure his life to regain his strength. Flawed or not, Steve Jobs is the name that will always stand above all others when people look back at the birth of the personal computing age.

I have a lot of confidence in Tim Cook and wish Steve Jobs good health and a long life.
post #74 of 329
Quote:

If so, it hasn't worked. Last I checked, AAPL is down over 6% in after-hours trading. .

There is no way to prove it hasn't worked. Perhaps it would be down 12% without the wording in his letter. If there is one thing I've learned about Jobs over the past 25 years is that he puts his words in a certain order purposely. Always. And it usually has an effect on people.
post #75 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I would say for both formality and as a politeness to the current chairman of the board at Apple.

The board chair was Bill Campbell. It would not have been polite in the least to ask to assume his position in a letter unless it was previously agreed to.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #76 of 329
Hey Samsung!! You're no Steve Jobs!!!
post #77 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyjudgements View Post

reading the comments on gizmodo and engadget and it is horrifying to see how heartless, egotistical, and just plain retarded some tech fans are. absolutely heartbreaking. for the heartlessness yes but also for the sheer blindness some have when it comes to certain contributions this man has made to the world of technology and beyond. just because they don't like the iPhone or the iPad or because they've had one too many 'android kool aids'... unbelievable how little perspective some people can have... and I suspect they are all quite young and have little life experience. oh well.

Not even about being a fandroid or whatever, some people are just plain dickheads...I don't like Apple products...at all...they are beautiful but that's it IMO...

I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT deny Apple's continuous impact on the industry as a whole and as such I must give thanks and credit where it is due or risk being intellectually dishonest. Apple has jumpstarted tech by a good 5 years at a minimum (capacitive full touch devices were going to happen eventually) and they are the reason we have so many great OSs today.

I hate all the hatred...from both sides period, and especially from my side regarding Steve and his health.
post #78 of 329
I had hoped that he would have done this a long time ago to take care of himself. Apple and creating gadgets isn't everything. I really hope he beats his cancer, leaves Apple and creates something else that's totally amazing. People like him are in short supply in this world.
post #79 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

Even without Steve apple will survive. He'll live happy knowing he has changed the face of this planet forever and has achieved his life goal of pure simplicity in technology. I just hope Tim cook was a better option than jony Ives...

I have nothing for respect for Jony Ives, but I'm 99% sure he's NOT the right guy for the job. He's a brilliant designer, but that's a whole different skill set than what is required for CEO.

Tim Cook is an operations guy and former head of the Macintosh division, if I'm not mistaken. He has done a brilliant job of securing supplies, handling logistics, etc. That seems a much better fit for the CEO, who must have an "overall" picture of things.
post #80 of 329
Wonder how the culture will shift with this news.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO