or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple chief Tim Cook regarded as operational genius

New Apple chief Tim Cook regarded as operational genius - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Cook is an operations genius, apparently. But he doesn't have the charisma and vision and panache to broker the deals that SJ did for Apple.

I imagine things getting a little tougher on this front for Apple, but otherwise, they have plenty of momentum and a solid culture to run with far into the future.

I hope the best for SJ and was saddened by the news. What a legend.

You know that's what they said about Bob Iger when he took over Disney after Michael Eisner. But the decisions he made and deals he brokered (e.g. Pixar) revitalized Disney. Here's one article of many.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...6/b4020085.htm

Tim Cook has already been brokering great but inconspicuous deals managing Apple's supply chain. He may not have the big-stage charisma that SJ has but I guarantee you, you do not get to be a successful negotiator (and leader, by the way) if you don't have charisma. I suspect TC's charisma is on a more personal one-to-one level and the chatter I hear on the net seems to confirm that.
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Message to Tim,

Please get working on a XMac. There are lots of us that need something between the mini and the Pro that doesn't have a built in screen.

GIVE IT A REST. You know exactly why they won't build one and you refuse to do anything about it. It's your fault.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's newly-appointed CEO Tim Cook has been praised as an operations mastermind who, despite lacking Steve Jobs' charisma and vision...

I believe breaking the entire product release cycle with CDMA iPhone earns him the title of alternatively gifted operations mastermind. Hands down. And all that despite lacking Steve Jobs' charisma and vision.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, Woz was the tech visionary, and Jobs was the marketplace visionary.

I keep hearing this cliché-d myth.

Tell me, folks, how did SJ manage both tech and the marketplace with say, the iPod, iTunes, Apple Retail, iPhone, iOS, iPad.....
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

If you look at how Apple has operated since its initial success with the iPod, it has been an operations play. The way they monopolise components, the way they've reduced costs and grown margins, the way they set the bar on quality so high it locks out competitors looking to move into Apple-defined categories (i.e., multitouch tablets, 'ultrabooks'), etc. That's Cook. They really have an operations strategy for growth. Jobs has the vision, Cook executes. I think the Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc, are in safe hands going forward.

Most people have missed this about Apple. It's not just about the innovation, but the execution of the innovation. And a huge part of that is Operations.
post #46 of 59
From Gruber (and no need to start droning on about how you hate him, it's just a nice point to make):

Quote:
Zoom out enough and you can see that the same things that define Apples products apply to Apple as a whole. The company itself is Apple-like. The same thought, care, and painstaking attention to detail that Steve Jobs brought to questions like How should a computer work?, How should a phone work?, How should we buy music and apps in the digital age? he also brought to the most important question: How should a company that creates such things function?

Jobss greatest creation isnt any Apple product. It is Apple itself.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Amazing post, it's sobering and I completely agree. To the people saying 'everyone is replaceable, even SJ'- no- he's not. I can't even think of how many gutsy decisions that Apple made, during which EVERYONE was bitching and moaning that they were out of their mind, only for it to be obvious months/years later that it was absolutely the right decision to take in the big picture. It's clear SJ was behind most of these decisions. Will Apple's new leader have this stubbornness in the face of complete doubt by the rest of the world, and the insight to hold on to that stubbornness? It's an incredible rare quality and is not something that can be attained through experience.

Working side by side with someone like that could surely lead one to hope that some of the magic has rubbed off?

Moreover, don't underestimate the Board. Most of them have been with Apple for a long time, and are a part of its DNA as well. They have an excellent perspective on what has made this company what it is today. I'll bet that Steve had to, especially in early post-1997 years when he hadn't yet proved his new mettle, get a lot of green signals for some pretty daring decisions from the Board.

I have no doubt that in difficult decision situations -- the gutsy decisions that you refer to which Apple made, during which EVERYONE was bitching and moaning that they were out of their mind -- the Board will be a solid source of counsel for Tim Cook.
post #48 of 59
Quote:

Message to Tim,

Please get working on a XMac. There are lots of us that need something between the mini and the Pro that doesn't have a built in screen.

Get lost.
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs2InfinityAndBeyond View Post

But is Tim Cook a creative, imaginative, visionary leader? No.

Apple will continue to turn in impressive quarterly earnings reports. Apple, Inc. will run like a well-oiled machine. Just without the magic, the legendary mystique that captures the imagination and makes an Apple product more than just a product, but one that impacts popular culture and is highly sought after for reasons many buyers are unable to describe in words.

Nice post. Do I agree that Cook is not creative, imaginative, a visionary? Right now, simply put, yes. Though I think in time he will be. He will never be on the level of Steve Jobs, though I am a firm believer that if you surround yourself by good people, good things happen. I can see him being a lot more collaborative with the different groups, more open minded to listening to what they have to say about product development while retaining and respecting Apple Inc's integrity, that which is ultimately Steve Jobs.
post #50 of 59
Bear in in mind that Jobs is a where the puck will be guy. Anyone doubt that he has already laid the groundwork for whatever makes the iPad and iOS look like yesterday's news?

And for that big picture kind of stuff Jobs can continue to contribute. Will Apple have precisely the same attention to detail, or the relentless willingness to cast aside what they feel to be extraneous? Possibly not, but in terms of surprising us with the "next great thing" I think it's a pretty safe bet that we have quite a few more years before the Jobsian well runs dry.
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Nice post. Do I agree that Cook is not creative, imaginative, a visionary? Right now, simply put, yes. Though I think in time he will be. He will never be on the level of Steve Jobs, though I am a firm believer that if you surround yourself by good people, good things happen. I can see him being a lot more collaborative with the different groups, more open minded to listening to what they have to say about product development while retaining and respecting Apple Inc's integrity, that which is ultimately Steve Jobs.

There is really no doubt that Cook is an 'operational genius'. He will continue to run Apple as a company in the same way that Jobs has. He will, and indeed already is, surrounded by people that are great in their respective areas, and I do agree that he will be more collaborative than Jobs. In most regards, as a company and how it is run, there won't be any noticeable changes for many years.

But, will he have the same boldness of Steve? Will he be willing to take the giant, world changing risks that Steve did? I have to think no. And I think boldness and risk taking is not something that will come from collaboration or committee. This, I think, will be the biggest change in Apple over the coming years. They will still be well run, still innovate at a rate far faster than anyone else, still be a leader. I just don't know if I expect them to change the world again. Hope the prove me wrong.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

There is really no doubt that Cook is an 'operational genius'. He will continue to run Apple as a company in the same way that Jobs has. He will, and indeed already is, surrounded by people that are great in their respective areas, and I do agree that he will be more collaborative than Jobs. In most regards, as a company and how it is run, there won't be any noticeable changes for many years.

But, will he have the same boldness of Steve? Will he be willing to take the giant, world changing risks that Steve did? I have to think no. And I think boldness and risk taking is not something that will come from collaboration or committee. This, I think, will be the biggest change in Apple over the coming years. They will still be well run, still innovate at a rate far faster than anyone else, still be a leader. I just don't know if I expect them to change the world again. Hope the prove me wrong.

See my post above. We're at the dawn of the iOS/touch phase, so there's lots of iteration and refinement to come before the next world changing paradigm shift (even Apple doesn't do that more than every 10 years or so). And odds are at least the outlines of that shift are already being brought forth in Apple's labs, so we're really talking about execution for the foreseeable future.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

See my post above. We're at the dawn of the iOS/touch phase, so there's lots of iteration and refinement to come before the next world changing paradigm shift (even Apple doesn't do that more than every 10 years or so). And odds are at least the outlines of that shift are already being brought forth in Apple's labs, so we're really talking about execution for the foreseeable future.

Looking at products/services they introduced that were game changing, I think the gap is much smaller than every 10 years. Just in the last 10 years, we've seen iPod/iTunes, then 6 years later, the iPhone and and then iPad (I'm looking at these as game changers in two different areas, though obviously they share a lot and could be considered a single play). We've seen them take initial steps with the Apple TV, are witnessing them try to shift cloud services into the mainstream and away from techies, we've witnessed the birth and growth of their retail stores and we've seen them democratize media to make it more consumer driven. Some of these were evolutionary in their individual areas and but they were revolutionary as a whole. But, even those evolutionary steps were risky. A lot of companies would have studied any or all of those initiatives, sent them to committee and likely never acted on them or made half-hearted attempts.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Originally Posted by Macs2InfinityAndBeyond

a very long saga of modern heroes and their warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Any celtic bard ancestor?

?

Help me out here.

That "Original post" "quotation" was not part of my original post, and I am at a total loss as to what it means...

A little help?

Meanwhile, see: Tim Cook, Operational genius, but no visionary -- a must for Apple.

post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Looking at products/services they introduced that were game changing, I think the gap is much smaller than every 10 years. Just in the last 10 years, we've seen iPod/iTunes, then 6 years later, the iPhone and and then iPad (I'm looking at these as game changers in two different areas, though obviously they share a lot and could be considered a single play). We've seen them take initial steps with the Apple TV, are witnessing them try to shift cloud services into the mainstream and away from techies, we've witnessed the birth and growth of their retail stores and we've seen them democratize media to make it more consumer driven. Some of these were evolutionary in their individual areas and but they were revolutionary as a whole. But, even those evolutionary steps were risky. A lot of companies would have studied any or all of those initiatives, sent them to committee and likely never acted on them or made half-hearted attempts.

Fair enough, but I would argue that pretty much all of that has been towards the current world of ubiquitously connected mobile, touch based devices that derive value and functionality from a rich ecosystem of media, applications and services.

So there's a lot of ground to cover yet working within that structure, and I think the current management are well suited to refine and extend the work that Jobs has done. As far as what comes after that, as I say I'd reckon that it's already being worked on.

I don't think we'll see the real fallout from the post-Jobs Apple for at least 10 years, when they'll likely be faced with going beyond whatever the longest term play is that they currently have in house. In the shorter term, no doubt there will be some changes, and no doubt there will be some particular feature or product or detail that will strike people as "Un-Jobsian" and it will be heavenly scrutinized as evidence that the party is over.
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GIVE IT A REST. You know exactly why they won't build one and you refuse to do anything about it. It's your fault.

I refuse to do anything about it? So what am I supposed to do? Give up, dump Apple and move to Windows? And no, I don't know why they won't build something that many Mac users and fans are asking for. Apple has a product gap and ought to be intelligent enough to realize it is losing sales because of it.

Please tell me how to convince Apple to fill its product gap. I have written letters. I have tried to do something about it. It's my fault Apple won't listen to me and lots of other people?

Apple simply does not have a computer right now that meets my needs. If you can fix my eyes so that I can deal with the glare from a glossy screen then speak up. If not then don't try to tell me Apple makes a mid range product that meets my needs.
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

So hope you're right. But charisma is not an acquired characteristic -- it can't be learned, as recent studies suggest. It may be a characteristic someone so fortunate is born with (yet another exception to my originally rigid tabula rasa belief).

Cook's countenance is dower, grave, serious; not wide-eyed and overflowing with enthusiasm like Steve Jobs' when delivering one of his legendary keynotes. (Remember the many "Isn't this neat?!" statements evoked from Jobs as he was downright giddy with enthusiasm as he (personally) demoed a new product or feature?)

Cook is not the cheerful face of Apple. But he is a genius in logistics and the critical, though prosaic, operational side of the equation. That role is not suited to Steve Jobs.

It is a critical role nonetheless, and Apple today, though still successful, would not be as astonishingly successful as it is today with a Steve Jobs, but no Tim Cook for the past 13 years.
post #58 of 59
Quote:

I refuse to do anything about it? So what am I supposed to do? Give up, dump Apple and move to Windows?

Yeah, that's exactly it.

Quote:
And no, I don't know why they won't build something that many Mac users and fans are asking for.

Because "many" is maybe 1,000 at most.

Quote:
Apple has a product gap and ought to be intelligent enough to realize it is losing sales because of it.

Obviously they're not.

Quote:
Please tell me how to convince Apple to fill its product gap.

Buy a PC.

Quote:
Apple simply does not have a computer right now that meets my needs.

Which is why you stop buying from them if you want them to change.

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

From Gruber (and no need to start droning on about how you hate him, it's just a nice point to make):

Quote:
Zoom out enough and you can see that the same things that define Apples products apply to Apple as a whole. The company itself is Apple-like. The same thought, care, and painstaking attention to detail that Steve Jobs brought to questions like How should a computer work?, How should a phone work?, How should we buy music and apps in the digital age? he also brought to the most important question: How should a company that creates such things function?

Jobss greatest creation isnt any Apple product. It is Apple itself.

Perhaps this then is the "product transition" they were alluding to.....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple chief Tim Cook regarded as operational genius