or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Lion rant!

Lion rant!

post #1 of 9
Warning! This is a rant. So please stop the "if you don't like it, don't use it" replies!

I'm a great fan of MacOSX and I've been using it for years. Every release has been an improvement of the previous version. Lion is the first OS that I find a step back, mainly usability wise.
Also note that I realize that most of this can be turned off or altered, but I think when you need to alter a zillion of things, there must be something wrong. I also understand that a lot might be unwillingness to change to something new, but my rant is just an opinion that the changes are a step back.

Here goes...

Removed - "Expose in the dock"
This was by far my personal favorite of Snow Leopard. With much open, I quickly learned to press and hold my mouse on an app, and select a window being part of the app. It was a natural evolution of Expose and I used it everyday. Just one release later they removed the feature altogether for "Mission Control", something that takes care of window management but does it on a "global level", not on app-level. How can I get this feature back?

"Mission control"
A great idea in the sense it combines Spaces and Expose, but the execution is flawed. Expose was about giving you a total overview over your open apps and windows. It aligned them in a grid, in smart way. What they've done now, is that windows are grouped together with the app.
They now friggin overlap! Yes, they overlap! And sometimes small windows are even totally overlapped by others! So it's a totally useless "Expose" in my book. Meh.

"Natural scrolling"
First of all consider the naming: "natural". Does it mean Apple has forced us using "unnatural scrolling" the past 30 years? Didn't think so.
The developer at Apple who managed to put this in should be kicked in the buttocks. I do understand the philosophy behind it, but it's wrong. Why?
*Scrolling is not the same as touch-and-dragging*. It makes sense that when you stick your finger on a touch device and move it up, the contents move up as well.
But as soon as I yank the scroll wheel on my mouse downwards - which is a different input device and not 'content - I expect content to go downwards as well, not upwards! Even an usability intern at Apple can see the difference between dragging and scrolling.

"Navigation column"
Now featuring ugly large fonts and grey icons. This way it cannot only contain fewer items, it's also harder to find the right icon in a glance. Well done, Apple.
They also managed to remove filters as "yesterday" and "photos". I thought they wanted to move away from the file system where it made sense? Some of these filters are handy, but they removed them. Instead, they keep folders as "Pictures" and "Music", folders that usually contain iTunes libraries and iPhoto libraries, not something a user should be able to access and potentially destroy or remove. It would have made more sense hiding those folder instead!

"Launchpad"
Is for wussies. We don't need a third way to open apps. I have the dock for my often used apps, and the Finder for when I need more. And now, when I download something from the app store, Launchpad interferes with my work by opening automatically. Hurray. In Snow Leopard they were added to the dock automatically. If I didn't like it, I dragged them out of the dock. Sigh.

"Mail"
Grouping by conversation is smart, but it's hard to get an overview and easy to lose track of a discussion. The problem is that Mail makes wrong assumptions on what is actually a conversation. I froze when I saw that I replied something to a client of our company on something that was meant for my colleague. Fortunately when I disabled conversations I noticed I was wrong (phew!). I think in order for this to work, Mail as a format should change so it becomes more "chat-ish". Now, Mail needs to interpret messages making assumptions and sometimes failing to do so.

"Auto resume"
Flawed! Flawed! On iOS I think auto-resume works like a charm. It's brilliant.
Only on MacOSX it doesn't work. When I boot the OS, all my previously apps start booting to "auto-resume". This doesn't make sense on an operating system designed to run multi-tasking stuff. Also most of the apps just boot up when I log in, but don't exactly revert to the previous state. Lame! I want my OS to be clean when I boot, I don't want memory-eating apps slowing don't the boot process and having me to close them.
On iOS it makes sense because you have focus on one app only. And when you boot iOS, all the previously running apps don't "boot", you just get to the main menu screen. Only when you switch to an app, it auto-resumes. So basically Apple tries to close a gap between iOS and MacOSX, but instead widens it. It now differs even more than before.

"iCal"
Fugly.

"Finder - show all my files"
Great, another view no one is going to use. Hey, let's view all my 405939229 files using a Coverflow-ish view, that will come in handy! Grouping files, e.g by size or type is a neat feature though!
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

"Auto resume"
On iOS it makes sense because you have focus on one app only. And when you boot iOS, all the previously running apps don't "boot", you just get to the main menu screen. Only when you switch to an app, it auto-resumes.

"iCal"
Fugly.

Great, another view no one is going to use. Hey, let's view all my 405939229 files using a Coverflow-ish view, that will come in handy!

I am planning to download Lion today. A lot of these posts have been coming up, I am not sure why Apple would take general computing and try to make it all iOS and app oriented. It feels like if they sold out and just did it to get more non-mac users to get on a mac, rather then focus on what we really need.

Lion has like 3 features that I like, that's really it. I prefer those updates that make my OS or computer snappier. I wish they would have at least allowed for more customization to revert to SL settings.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by accessoriesguy View Post

I am planning to download Lion today. A lot of these posts have been coming up, I am not sure why Apple would take general computing and try to make it all iOS and app oriented. It feels like if they sold out and just did it to get more non-mac users to get on a mac, rather then focus on what we really need.

Lion has like 3 features that I like, that's really it. I prefer those updates that make my OS or computer snappier. I wish they would have at least allowed for more customization to revert to SL settings.

I'm not really for the removal of features like Expose in the Dock as I think that's a great solution for a preference choice.

However Apple has not even come close to selling out. LaunchPad will make sense to anyone with an iOS device and Mission Control is better than Expose + Spaces to me.

Lion doesn't run as well on older hardware but it runs just as fast on the newer hardware. Such is the case for every operating system generally.

Natural Scrolling is in fact natural. There's nothing natural about pulling down to move content up.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 9
Auto resume on Lion has to be supported by the application. On the iOS it was necessary for applications to support resume from day 1. As applications evolve, this feature will be useful.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Warning! This is a rant. So please stop the "if you don't like it, don't use it" replies!

In that case, might I suggest maybe a blog with comments turned off as a better channel through which to vent your frustrations? Let me just get this out of the way: Don't like it? Don't use it, then.
Quote:
"Natural scrolling"
First of all consider the naming: "natural". Does it mean Apple has forced us using "unnatural scrolling" the past 30 years? Didn't think so.

Not necessarily. Scrolling, until recently, always involved moving the scroll bars to move the content. The way scrolling works in Lion, you move the content itself.
Quote:
The developer at Apple who managed to put this in should be kicked in the buttocks. I do understand the philosophy behind it, but it's wrong. Why?
*Scrolling is not the same as touch-and-dragging*.

Indeed. That's why the scroll bars were removed, too. You move the content of a window, you don't scroll.
Quote:
It makes sense that when you stick your finger on a touch device and move it up, the contents move up as well.
But as soon as I yank the scroll wheel on my mouse downwards - which is a different input device and not 'content - I expect content to go downwards as well, not upwards! Even an usability intern at Apple can see the difference between dragging and scrolling.

And they do. Do you? Apparently not. In any case, if you want the scroll wheel on your mouse to work the old way, just adjust the appropriate setting.
Quote:
"Navigation column"
Now featuring ugly large fonts and grey icons. This way it cannot only contain fewer items, it's also harder to find the right icon in a glance. Well done, Apple.

Use the settings dialog to select a smaller font. As for the grey icons: that's just an aesthetics issue. Personally, I like the GUI to be in my face as little as possible. I welcome the unobtrusive icons. If you don't, I'm sure there'll be a myriad of hacksies to stick in all the brightly coloured crap you want in no short order. Look to the good folks at The Iconfactory, for starters.
Quote:
"Launchpad"
Is for wussies. We don't need a third way to open apps.

You don't need a third way to open apps. Many, many users still need a first way to open apps. Seriously.
Quote:
"Auto resume"
Flawed! Flawed! On iOS I think auto-resume works like a charm. It's brilliant.
Only on MacOSX it doesn't work. When I boot the OS, all my previously apps start booting to "auto-resume". This doesn't make sense on an operating system designed to run multi-tasking stuff. Also most of the apps just boot up when I log in, but don't exactly revert to the previous state. Lame! I want my OS to be clean when I boot, I don't want memory-eating apps slowing don't the boot process and having me to close them.

So, turn it off. Most people use the same (small) set of applications almost perpetually, and a few others sparingly. Like it or not, Apple are working hard at making Macs easier to use. If you like your computers to remain hard to use, switch to Windows. It's still the same archaic mess it always was. Compared to Mac OS, it's looking ever more clunky and ancient with every release. You'll love it.
Quote:
"iCal"
Fugly.

At least it's fully functional. No gripes with Address Book? Now there's a clusterfuck I can agree with. Removing functionality for the sake of a cutesy "real life" metaphor. Ouch.
Quote:
Great, another view no one is going to use. Hey, let's view all my 405939229 files using a Coverflow-ish view, that will come in handy! Grouping files, e.g by size or type is a neat feature though!

All files is useful for the majority of users who really don't have that many files outside of Mail, iPhoto and iTunes. A couple of Word (or Pages) documents and a handful of assorted other bits, maybe.

.tsooJ
post #6 of 9
Lion is retardedly annoying in terms of GUI. My wife has it on her new Air. I am probably going to wait until 10.8. dacloo I understand you...I lived by Expose. Lion is just damn annoying. Except Full Screen which rocks.

Mission Control is so bad I would hope they may even add an option back in for power users hidden in Settings somewhere to revert back to Snow Leopard Expose / Dashboard / Spaces behavior. They dumbed down and downgraded all three. Those were the biggest upgrades to my productivity in the last few OS X versions.

And still no NTFS write support I am guessing? Or Finder FTP uploading? I am too lazy to look that up, but it's things like that that shouldn't take a back seat to new gimmicks and silly effects.

I'm really starting to like Windows 7. Why? I can turn stupid crap off. I turned Aero completely off. I have resolution "independence" sort of, and can ZOOM the whole OS. Wish they had added that to 10.7 instead of working slavishly to make iCal the ugliest application I've ever seen from Apple yet.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #7 of 9
Do did a hell of a job ignoring a lot of my post and only quoting specific parts, just so you can prove me wrong. Annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

In that case, might I suggest maybe a blog with comments turned off as a better channel through which to vent your frustrations? Let me just get this out of the way: Don't like it? Don't use it, then.Not necessarily. Scrolling, until recently, always involved moving the scroll bars to move the content. The way scrolling works in Lion, you move the content itself.Indeed. That's why the scroll bars were removed, too. You move the content of a window, you don't scroll.And they do. Do you? Apparently not. In any case, if you want the scroll wheel on your mouse to work the old way, just adjust the appropriate setting.Use the settings dialog to select a smaller font. As for the grey icons: that's just an aesthetics issue. Personally, I like the GUI to be in my face as little as possible. I welcome the unobtrusive icons. If you don't, I'm sure there'll be a myriad of hacksies to stick in all the brightly coloured crap you want in no short order. Look to the good folks at The Iconfactory, for starters.You don't need a third way to open apps. Many, many users still need a first way to open apps. Seriously.So, turn it off. Most people use the same (small) set of applications almost perpetually, and a few others sparingly. Like it or not, Apple are working hard at making Macs easier to use. If you like your computers to remain hard to use, switch to Windows. It's still the same archaic mess it always was. Compared to Mac OS, it's looking ever more clunky and ancient with every release. You'll love it.At least it's fully functional. No gripes with Address Book? Now there's a clusterfuck I can agree with. Removing functionality for the sake of a cutesy "real life" metaphor. Ouch.All files is useful for the majority of users who really don't have that many files outside of Mail, iPhoto and iTunes. A couple of Word (or Pages) documents and a handful of assorted other bits, maybe.

.tsooJ
post #8 of 9
there is software called lion tweaks 1.3. i have nothing to do with it and its free... anyway you can turn on and off many of the things you are complaining about. scrolling, resume, ical looks etc.
just trying to help
post #9 of 9
Thanks for the tip! Checking it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post

there is software called lion tweaks 1.3. i have nothing to do with it and its free... anyway you can turn on and off many of the things you are complaining about. scrolling, resume, ical looks etc.
just trying to help
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Lion rant!