or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead' - Page 3

post #81 of 147
deleted
post #82 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

"The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ"

It'll go lower. Cook has been doing a mediocre job at best since taking over as acting CEO:

Iphone5 launch - delayed repeatedly
Ipad3 - have to wait till next year
Cheaper Iphone - still the 3GS no improvement
MacBooks - supply still constrained for the new models

The price is nearly the close of yesterday, before the announcement. Don't quit your day job.
post #83 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Correction, while partially true the other reason was PIXAR already had their IPO and with 80% of the stock ownership he was already worth several billion.

AIR, Apple had money, but was out of ideas/vision.

The one exception, AIR, was the iMac which was developed before Steve's return -- but released after he took control.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #84 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Interesting that his message contains "amazing" (twice) and "magical." Evidence that Tim has truly got Steve's DNA.

Also "incredible" three times!
post #85 of 147
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #86 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, Lion autocorrect. How we hate you.

The Simsons will have to update their sketch about Newton to Lion's spooling arrears if Apple don't flex it swoon. My own mother thinks my emails are now in a forging sandwich.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #87 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post



Is it only me or does Mr. Cook remind you of Jar Jar Binks? It's probably just me \

Hank Haney
post #88 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AAPL is down about 1.13% and steady, in a down market -- the volume seems low.

That's much better than I thought.

I believe that this announcement was timed and executed with perfection -- exactly what I would expect from Apple.

Me too, it was superbly handled and all the news is upbeat form the media I've seen. I had argued recently that the market had already discounted SJ's situation and only the uninformed would sell off if he stepped down. Seems this was indeed the case. Hopefully we will resume the steady climb.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #89 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A good read (via Gruber):

New Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm Thinking Printers'

Brilliant.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #90 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A good read (via Gruber):

New Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm Thinking Printers'

Not so much. As humor goes--C minus. They've done much better. The situation is ripe for great humor, but this wasn't it.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #91 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

"The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ"

It'll go lower. Cook has been doing a mediocre job at best since taking over as acting CEO:

Iphone5 launch - delayed repeatedly
Ipad3 - have to wait till next year

Oh sure. What a terrible mistake it is to release only one new version of iPad per year and shipping only tens of millions of them. In fact, we have to wait till 2013 for iPad 4 (you heard it from me first!). Cook sure is a f***-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Cheaper Iphone - still the 3GS no improvement

A 27-month old product that is also the second best selling smartphone model in the US. Another f***-up by Cook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

MacBooks - supply still constrained for the new models

Cook would be praised so much more if there were scores of Macbooks and Airs sitting on the shelves waiting to be purchased. That is infinitely superior to having people line up day after day for their products.

I am guessing Motorola, Samsung, HP and Dell would die to have such a mediocre CEO.
post #92 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A good read (via Gruber):

New Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm Thinking Printers'

Via Gruber? Should have linked directly to The Onion. Gruber makes too much grub by linking to others.
post #93 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Correction, while partially true the other reason was PIXAR already had their IPO and with 80% of the stock ownership he was already worth several billion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, the $1 salary was a tax maneuver.

Steve already rakes in $30 million annually in Disney dividends.

He really doesn't need a token salary. He'd mostly chew it up on income taxes and FICA/FICAMED (the latter which he'd never recover) plus Apple Inc. would have to kick in the employer portion for the latter. Stock option grants are a better way to compensate Steve. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than wages.

No matter how you look at it, it is interesting that, while he is quite wealthy, Steve Jobs has never ever cracked into the list of the top 10 wealthiest dudes in the world. In fact, has he ever ranked above the 50th spot? Last year, his net worth was estimated to be $5.5B. That is rich by any standard except when compared to the market cap of Apple.

Gates, Ballmer, Allen, Ellison, Page, Schmidt, Brin and many other Silicon Valley tycoons are significantly wealthier. With the exception of Gates, no individual has been credited more with their success of their companies. If Jobs had cared, I am sure the Apple board would have rewarded him much, much more.
post #94 of 147
One of my main concerns is what will Apple do whenever Steve passes (hopefully not for a very long time) and they run through everything in his idea book? Who will come up with next big One More Thing then? Who will keep innovating and pushing for new ideas and demanding near perfection? I worry they will slowly fall back to 1997 and become just another tech company.
post #95 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Via Gruber? Should have linked directly to The Onion. Gruber makes too much grub by linking to others.

I did... follow the link!

I don't normally follow the Onion, but I saw a link on Gruber... that's all!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #96 of 147
Here's another good read (via Paczkowski):

Does Tim Cook Need His Own Tim Cook?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #97 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AIR, Apple had money, but was out of ideas/vision.

The one exception, AIR, was the iMac which was developed before Steve's return -- but released after he took control.

What the hell are you talking about regarding the AIR and my talking about PIXAR already public making Steve a Billionaire?

Since you mention the AIR having been at Apple you're full of it. The day the iMac was released at DeAngelo College where the entire corporation was told to drive over to with out security badges on not a single person in the place yelled, ``That's just the AIR!''
post #98 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What the hell are you talking about regarding the AIR and my talking about PIXAR already public making Steve a Billionaire?

Since you mention the AIR having been at Apple you're full of it. The day the iMac was released at DeAngelo College where the entire corporation was told to drive over to with out security badges on not a single person in the place yelled, ``That's just the AIR!''

AIR... As I Recall...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #99 of 147
I need to update my records. What's Tim Cook's e-mail address?
post #100 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Why? Steve owns lots and lots of stock compared to Tim. He made his money from stock appreciation. I hope the Board gives Tim plenty of restricted stock to keep him at Apple.

To keep him? Where else would he rather be? Dell? HP? Palm?

Heck, he should pay them to keep him there, that is the dream chair for any ambitious CEO
post #101 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just one word of advice, Tim:

Don't bring back the Performa line.

Or Michael Spindler
No seriously, as long as Apple is lead by people who remember where Apple was in 1996 and understood how Apple got to that place, the company should continue down the right path. The forces that brought Apple to it's knees in 1996 are endemic to any large organization and hopefully Apple's current culture and leadership will be able to keep those forces at bay.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #102 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Or Michael Spindler
No seriously, as long as Apple is lead by people who remember where Apple was in 1996 and understood how Apple got to that place, the company should continue down the right path. The forces that brought Apple to it's knees in 1996 are endemic to any large organization and hopefully Apple's current culture and leadership will be able to keep those forces at bay.

Apple has photos of Sculley, Diesel and Amelio in Cook's office with the word, "Remember", under them.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #103 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

One of my main concerns is what will Apple do whenever Steve passes (hopefully not for a very long time) and they run through everything in his idea book? Who will come up with next big One More Thing then? Who will keep innovating and pushing for new ideas and demanding near perfection? I worry they will slowly fall back to 1997 and become just another tech company.

Believe it or not, Steve isn't the only person at Apple with ideas (for proof of that look at all of the Apple patents with names of people besides Steve). The perfectionism is a part of the Apple DNA now. I'd be more concerned going 5 to 10 years out.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #104 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AIR... As I Recall...

You recall incorrectly. The iMac was Ive's first big skunk works project that only a handful knew about which was the main reason it was such a shock to the entire corporation when Steve unveiled it that day.

FWIW: short hand in a capitalized form is an Acronym, not an intended prepositional phrase
post #105 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple has photos of Sculley, Diesel and Amelio in Cook's office with the word, "Remember", under them.

You can bet if Cook starts sliding, there'll be a talking-to. Something like this, perhaps.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #106 of 147
Who will now generate the RDF?
post #107 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You recall incorrectly. The iMac was Ive's first big skunk works project that only a handful knew about which was the main reason it was such a shock to the entire corporation when Steve unveiled it that day.

FWIW: short hand in a capitalized form is an Acronym, not an intended prepositional phrase

C'mon... you misread my post... that doesn't warrant your incivility, or an unnecessary grammar lesson.

We watched, Apple for years, but had retired, left the business and Silicon Valley. At the time of Jobs return, we were playing in Arizona, New Mexico, etc. We hardly touched a computer until 1997.

When Jobs took over, he cut a lot of products, 3rd-party licensees, then introduced seveal new ones -- including the iMac. AIR, there was an article at the time, that gave credit for the iMac to Amelio. I surfed, but cannot support that recollection.

I don't owe you this explanation, but am providing it because you normally make reasoned posts that contribute to the discussion at hand.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #108 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Who will now generate the RDF?

That is the primary purpose of the new campus that Apple is building. Steve's essence has been trapped in a holding vessel and will be installed in a subterranean chamber in the middle of the building. The circular design was required so that the rays would emanate from every angle.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #109 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

C'mon... you misread my post... that doesn't warrant your incivility, or an unnecessary grammar lesson.

We watched, Apple for years, but had retired, left the business and Silicon Valley. At the time of Jobs return, we were playing in Arizona, New Mexico, etc. We hardly touched a computer until 1997.

When Jobs took over, he cut a lot of products, 3rd-party licensees, then introduced seveal new ones -- including the iMac. AIR, there was an article at the time, that gave credit for the iMac to Amelio. I surfed, but cannot support that recollection.

I don't owe you this explanation, but am providing it because you normally make reasoned posts that contribute to the discussion at hand.

Here ya go, Dick:

In May, Apple announced the iMac and new PowerBook G3 models. By August, Apple had 150,000 preorders for the iMac. Apple’s stock went over $40/share, the highest stock market price in three years. In August 1998, Apple finally introduced its new all-in-one computer reminiscent of the Macintosh 128K: the iMac (Amelio claimed most of the project had been completed under his watch). The iMac design team was led by Jonathan Ive, who would later design the iPod and the iPhone. The iMac featured modern technology and a unique design, with the monitor and computer in the same box. It had no floppy disk drive like other computers, and that was a risk that worked. The iMac sold close to 800,000 units in its first five months. Later that year Mac OS 8.5 was released to an ecstatic audience. Surveys showed that 43% of all iMac buyers were new to the Macintosh platform.

http://scaruffi.com/svhistory/sv/chap91.html
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #110 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That is the primary purpose of the new campus that Apple is building. Steve's essence has been trapped in a holding vessel and will be installed in a subterranean chamber in the middle of the building. The circular design was required so that the rays would emanate from every angle.

Wouldn't a really, really big one of these be better?




...And, the first question is: What $ sales per sq. ft. does MS realize for its Microsoft Stores?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #111 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Here ya go, Dick:

In May, Apple announced the iMac and new PowerBook G3 models. By August, Apple had 150,000 preorders for the iMac. Apple’s stock went over $40/share, the highest stock market price in three years. In August 1998, Apple finally introduced its new all-in-one computer reminiscent of the Macintosh 128K: the iMac (Amelio claimed most of the project had been completed under his watch). The iMac design team was led by Jonathan Ive, who would later design the iPod and the iPhone. The iMac featured modern technology and a unique design, with the monitor and computer in the same box. It had no floppy disk drive like other computers, and that was a risk that worked. The iMac sold close to 800,000 units in its first five months. Later that year Mac OS 8.5 was released to an ecstatic audience. Surveys showed that 43% of all iMac buyers were new to the Macintosh platform.

http://scaruffi.com/svhistory/sv/chap91.html

Thanks for that. If only to prove to an old man that he is not completely senile... Yet!

BTW, I bought a Biondi Blue model to replace my Mac II -- a real powerhouse in 15 cu inches.

It still runs fine!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #112 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

no. he reminds me of robert englund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, that would put a whole new twist on the keynotes.... "Don't fall asleep! Don't fall asleep!"

post #113 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

<snip>Is it only me or does Mr. Cook remind you of Jar Jar Binks? It's probably just me \

No, it is not just you. That resemblance is scary.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #114 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can bet if Cook starts sliding, there'll be a talking-to. Something like this, perhaps...

TFTFY

post #115 of 147
The message from Tim Cook sounds suspiciously like Steve Jobs. From what I've read about Tim Cook's low-key personality, he doesn't seem like the type of person who would use the word "magical". We all know where that comes from. I wouldn't be too surprised if this message was written by Steve Jobs.
post #116 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

The message from Tim Cook sounds suspiciously like Steve Jobs. From what I've read about Tim Cook's low-key personality, he doesn't seem like the type of person who would use the word "magical". We all know where that comes from. I wouldn't be too surprised if this message was written by Steve Jobs.

Indeed, it didn't seem to come from him, or it didn't give me the belief it came from him, unlike Steve's messages.

There was one time Phil did a keynote and he kinda didn't do the "One More Thing" properly.

Steve Jobs. Not an idol, nor a messiah or prophet (though he comes close). Just... one heck of a guy.
post #117 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

One of my main concerns is what will Apple do whenever Steve passes (hopefully not for a very long time) and they run through everything in his idea book? Who will come up with next big One More Thing then? Who will keep innovating and pushing for new ideas and demanding near perfection? I worry they will slowly fall back to 1997 and become just another tech company.

That assumes that Steve did everything and no one else ever came up with an original idea. In reality, Apple has a very powerful management team.

Now, they may lose a little of the unrelenting single minded focus, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In 1997, Apple was a computer company - and not doing all that well. It was necessary to create a single focus to lead things forward. Today, it's a multi-market, multi-product, global powerhouse. As long as there's a unifying theme to their efforts, marching in lock step is not as critical as it was 15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AIR, Apple had money, but was out of ideas/vision.

The one exception, AIR, was the iMac which was developed before Steve's return -- but released after he took control.

The iMac was released in August, 1998. Apple bought NeXT in late 1996 - which is when Jobs came back to Apple. His role increased over time and he became CEO in Sept 1997.

Unless you believe that developing the iMac took years, it clearly has Jobs' fingerprints all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Here ya go, Dick:

In May, Apple announced the iMac and new PowerBook G3 models. By August, Apple had 150,000 preorders for the iMac. Apple’s stock went over $40/share, the highest stock market price in three years. In August 1998, Apple finally introduced its new all-in-one computer reminiscent of the Macintosh 128K: the iMac (Amelio claimed most of the project had been completed under his watch). The iMac design team was led by Jonathan Ive, who would later design the iPod and the iPhone. The iMac featured modern technology and a unique design, with the monitor and computer in the same box. It had no floppy disk drive like other computers, and that was a risk that worked. The iMac sold close to 800,000 units in its first five months. Later that year Mac OS 8.5 was released to an ecstatic audience. Surveys showed that 43% of all iMac buyers were new to the Macintosh platform.

http://scaruffi.com/svhistory/sv/chap91.html

This is hilarious. It's funny when the losers attempt to rewrite history.

First, look at the timeline. If the iMac was really Amelio's baby, why did it take more than a year from Amelio's departure to the release of the iMac? Furthermore, look at everything released under Amelio's watch and everything Amelio did and try to claim that the iMac was his doing. Amelio was all about cheap beige boxes. His efforts with cloning, for example. And all the products that were released under his watch. More than any other time in history, Macs released during his time were generic looking boxes (with a very few exceptions). He was big on proprietary things like NuBus and ADB. His idea of style was to lump a few beige rectangles together (look at the PowerMac 9600).

The iMac looks nothing like what Amelio stood for - entirely new design, showy aesthetics, use of industry standards like USB.

In all likelihood, Amelio is claiming that he was responsible for AIOs because models like the Performa 5400 came out during his time (http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-5400.html) were his 'invention' and the iMac was really nothing new. I don't think Amelio ever understood how different the iMac was.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #118 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The iMac was released in August, 1998. Apple bought NeXT in late 1996 - which is when Jobs came back to Apple. His role increased over time and he became CEO in Sept 1997.

Unless you believe that developing the iMac took years, it clearly has Jobs' fingerprints all over it.



This is hilarious. It's funny when the losers attempt to rewrite history.

First, look at the timeline. If the iMac was really Amelio's baby, why did it take more than a year from Amelio's departure to the release of the iMac? Furthermore, look at everything released under Amelio's watch and everything Amelio did and try to claim that the iMac was his doing. Amelio was all about cheap beige boxes. His efforts with cloning, for example. And all the products that were released under his watch. More than any other time in history, Macs released during his time were generic looking boxes (with a very few exceptions). He was big on proprietary things like NuBus and ADB. His idea of style was to lump a few beige rectangles together (look at the PowerMac 9600).

The iMac looks nothing like what Amelio stood for - entirely new design, showy aesthetics, use of industry standards like USB.

In all likelihood, Amelio is claiming that he was responsible for AIOs because models like the Performa 5400 came out during his time (http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-5400.html) were his 'invention' and the iMac was really nothing new. I don't think Amelio ever understood how different the iMac was.

We were very close to Apple (7/10 of a mile) and an Apple reseller between 1978-1989. We saw the gestation of the floppy disk, various Apple//x follow-on models, the Apple///, Lisa. Mac, Mac II, LaserWriter.

Being close to Apple, being the best Apple dealer in Silicon Valley (with customers worldwide), the fact one of our 3 partners was Woz's younger brother Mark... and finally the fact that we were located next to a fantastic Chinese restaurant...

Apple people, from (whatever) president on down regularly came into our store. Often a middle manger, say someone like John Couch (not saying it was John Couch -- just someone like him) would come in to pick our brains or use us for a sounding board.

The conversation would normally start something like this:

Apple Employee or Middle Manager: "You probably already know this, so.... blah, blah, company jewels, blah, blah...".

My point is that in those days, it took a few years to get from drawing board to released product, when Apple was at the top of its game.

Later, when Steve returned things were a lot different -- the Apple business was depressed. We had left the business and moved away -- so my access to "inside information" was lost.

But, I suspect that the iMac could, easily, have taken 3 years to develop... and that would mean that it was started under Amelio's watch.

Certainly, Steve added his "own" to the product that was actually released -- I suspect, no floppy and USB may have been two of those. Let's blame Amelio for the hockey-puck mouse.

I may be mistaken, but Ive may have been working with/for Apple under Amelio's watch.

I have know proof, but I can imagine Steve looking at Apple's products in development, and seeing very little he'd want to use/make/sell. Then, seeing the iMac concept...

Kinda' like what happened with Jef Raskin's little project.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #119 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is hilarious. It's funny when the losers attempt to rewrite history.

First, look at the timeline. If the iMac was really Amelio's baby, why did it take more than a year from Amelio's departure to the release of the iMac? Furthermore, look at everything released under Amelio's watch and everything Amelio did and try to claim that the iMac was his doing. Amelio was all about cheap beige boxes. His efforts with cloning, for example. And all the products that were released under his watch. More than any other time in history, Macs released during his time were generic looking boxes (with a very few exceptions). He was big on proprietary things like NuBus and ADB. His idea of style was to lump a few beige rectangles together (look at the PowerMac 9600).

The iMac looks nothing like what Amelio stood for - entirely new design, showy aesthetics, use of industry standards like USB.

In all likelihood, Amelio is claiming that he was responsible for AIOs because models like the Performa 5400 came out during his time (http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-5400.html) were his 'invention' and the iMac was really nothing new. I don't think Amelio ever understood how different the iMac was.

Actually... you're comparing the iMac to the wrong computer that was made under Amelio's reign. The iMac very closely resembled the G3 aio... the guts were almost identical except for the use of usb. http://www.kevinomura.com/macs/g3aio/index.html The G3 AIO even had a translucent back. Sadly... it never made it beyond the US education market.

I honestly believe that the majority of the work was done under Amelio's watch but Steve, along with Ive, showed what could be done with that beige box... something that could never have been envisioned by Amelio.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #120 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


I may be mistaken, but Ive may have been working with/for Apple under Amelio's watch.

I have know proof, but I can imagine Steve looking at Apple's products in development, and seeing very little he'd want to use/make/sell. Then, seeing the iMac concept...

It always made me wonder why Ive couldn't have designed the bondi blue iMac before Steve entered the picture in 97. Ive had been working at Apple even while Sculley was there.

I can't help thinking that the G3 aio was a design from Ive's hand, and then when Steve came back he looked at the box, called Ive to his office and said something to the effect of, "I know you can do better than that.".

However it came about, Ive became #1 in the design team when Steve took over.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'