or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › lion speed

lion speed

post #1 of 3
for some reason i can't find people on this forum interested in maximizing lion speed and efficiency.
everybody seems hell bent on discussing what they like or don't like about lion or what they wish it was like. that being said, i am running a 2008 24 inch imac and i am trying to do everything possible to get the most out of it before i have to do a 3000$ upgrade.

i just found and old trick to speed up safari 5.1 using terminal and it seems to work great so far:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.25

so try it and i am curious if others find that this makes big improvement. i do have a question though. when you change something in terminal is it permanent when you reboot.

secondly i am booting off usb 2 from a ssd and it seems faster than internal hard drive. this goes against what almost everybody says but that is my experience. it seems faster from usb than fw 800. can anybody explain?

i am interested in any other tricks tweaks. my next purchase will be the 27 incher with ssd but for now i am interested in what ever will speed up my current system.

one other interesting observation, i went to the mac store and tried an i7 imac with out ssd and did not find it to work even as good as my old system. but the air with ssd seemed better. so i think ssd is the trick.

so give me some good tips (beyond obvious more ram, repair permissions, get rid of unnecessary stuff)

thx
post #2 of 3
I feel your pain, and agree.

I just want to know if it will be FASTER than Snow Leopard (and use less memory and HD space).

But seems like everyone talks or complains about the GUI instead.

I'll try another post...
post #3 of 3
It doesn't seem faster but windows open differently, with a flourish instead of just popping up. Hard to explain. Safari seems a tad faster but some websites are buggy now, like Yahoo Mail
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › lion speed