or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's expedited Calif. trial against Samsung to start July 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's expedited Calif. trial against Samsung to start July 2012

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
A California court this week granted Apple's request for an expedited trial start in its patent infringement suit against Samsung, though the trial's July 30, 2012 start date is not as early as the iPhone maker had hoped.

Apple originally hoped to have the trial, stemming from a patent infringement lawsuit filed in California, begin in February of 2012. Samsung, however, argued that the average time for patent cases to begin in the Northern District of California is 23 months, which would have resulted in a trial date of March 2013.

The court this week revealed that the trial will begin on July 30, 2012, six months after Apple had hoped, but also eight months before Samsung believed the proceedings should begin. Though Apple didn't get everything it wanted, Florian Mueller at FOSS Patents declared it an "important scheduling victory" for the iPhone maker.

"I believe Apple never realistically expected that the court would agree to a February trial date," Mueller wrote, "especially after Judge Lucy Koh rejected in mid-july a proposal by Apple to shorten the time for the briefing process leading to the decision now fully taken."

He compared the case to the Oracle v. Google suit, which is expected to start this October, or 14.5 months after Oracle's complaint was filed. The expedited trial date for Apple v. Samsung would be 15.5 months after Apple's original complaint was filed.

"Considering the greater complexity of Apple v. Samsung, this is really a pretty ambitious schedule and, therefore, a major win for Apple," he said.



In addition, all of the lawyers from the firm Bridges & Mavrakakis representing Apple notified the court on Thursday that they have withdrawn from the case. Their departure was in response to conflict of interest allegations leveled by Samsung.

In July, Samsung asked the court to disqualify at least some of Apple's legal team on the grounds that five of its lawyers, including one of the founders of Bridges & Mavrakakis, previously representing Samsung when they worked for another firm. Samsung also demanded that the other two firms involved in the suit representing Apple provide affidavits confirming they had not received "confidential information" about Samsung from the Bridges & Mavrakakis attorneys.

Apple first sued Samsung in April, accusing its rival of copying the look and feel of its popular iPhone and iPad products. Samsung has fired back with its own patent infringement allegations, and the legal battle has since spread across the globe, even leading to bans on the sale of some Samsung devices in Australia, as well as Germany, and other parts of Europe.
post #2 of 20
If Apple starts to loose these cases, then there will be no reason to patent anything would offer little to no reason for Apple to invest huge resources and dump money into research and development.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #3 of 20
Technically, Apple already did loose this case.

loose - To set free, release

lose - fail to win
post #4 of 20
10 - 11 months from now? By that time, the whole issue might be moot. Once again we learn an important lesson: lawyers always win. Even when no one else wins.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

10 - 11 months from now? By that time, the whole issue might be moot. Once again we learn an important lesson: lawyers always win. Especially when no one else wins.

Fixed that for ya...
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

10 - 11 months from now? By that time, the whole issue might be moot. Once again we learn an important lesson: lawyers always win. Even when no one else wins.

A better lesson: Litigation is a lousy way to do business.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

A better lesson: Litigation is a lousy way to do business.

Why? Apple is litigating to protect its IP. Sure, it's great to have a quick decision, but time is on Apple's side anyway. As long as this case remains undecided, a cloud hangs over Samsung.
post #8 of 20
They could sell tickets for this - $200 for court side seats, $0.99 on Apple TV. Of course, Apple might pull the plug on the iTunes rental without warning, if the trial does not go well.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

If Apple starts to loose these cases, then there will be no reason to patent anything would offer little to no reason for Apple to invest huge resources and dump money into research and development.

Can you repeat that in English?
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

If Apple starts to loose these cases, then there will be no reason to patent anything would offer little to no reason for Apple to invest huge resources and dump money into research and development.

If they decide to loosen those cases anymore my iPhone will keep falling out!
post #11 of 20
deleted
post #12 of 20
wow, the wait list for government legislature is almost as long as the waits to get help at a public hospital. How come Europe keeps beating us at more and more things @_@
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by accessoriesguy View Post

wow, the wait list for government legislature is almost as long as the waits to get help at a public hospital. How come Europe keeps beating us at more and more things @_@

Americans are too programmed to reject anything that has a semblance of socialism, when in fact some (not all) socialist policies are brilliant and really the best proven ways to govern a democratic society.
post #14 of 20
This is terrible for Samsung's reputation and brand image. "Samsung slavishly copies iPhone and iPad," scream 10,000 headlines a month until July 2012. If I were the COB at Samsung, the persons responsible for risking the company reputation and future profits for trying to sell a knock-off of their largest customers hit products, well, I would fire them.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

…judicial proceedings...

We get it. You don't like the idea of people being able to protect the things they create. Just stop.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Yep, you reconfirm you can't handle reality. The archetypical blindered fanboy.

Don't despair, if you try hard enough you may get enlightened yet!
(Although with you that could take another couple decades )

Partimer, why are you mocking and using personal attacks? If you have a legitimate argument there's no need for it. It's juvenile and almost guarantees no one is going to take you seriously.

If your goal is to get banned, you're doing a heck of a job. If not then please stop.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

It's 'funny' that you conveniently ignore what preceded

It's funny what preceded contained no mocking or personal attacks. Funny, that.

Quote:
and apply a double-standard.

The double-standard here is letting trolls run almost as free as the spambots.

Quote:
You can't be accused of impartiality or objectivity...

Funny. Neither can you. In fact, I'll go right ahead and objectively state that you've not said a single thing positive about Apple in your time here.

Excuse me, your part time here.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

you fanboy

Yeah, you go right ahead and believe whatever the frick you want to believe.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Quite! Who needs it? This forum is already full of it... With you leading the charge!
I would never dare to steal your thunder...
(Or in any way resemble you).
So I limit myself to balancing your heavily prejudiced fanboy BS 'information'.

Cheers, mate! Appreciate it.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Americans are too programmed to reject anything that has a semblance of socialism, when in fact some (not all) socialist policies are brilliant and really the best proven ways to govern a democratic society.

If i remember correctly (i could be wrong) a lot if not most social programs were created, invented, and started in the United States, can you say ironic?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's expedited Calif. trial against Samsung to start July 2012