or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama

post #1 of 23
There are stories going around that Michelle Obama spent over 10 million dollars last year on trips she took going to Spain and other countries. Poor tax payer money being used for this. This is wrong completely.
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

There are stories going around that Michelle Obama spent over 10 million dollars last year on trips she took going to Spain and other countries. Poor tax payer money being used for this. This is wrong completely.

How much did Laura Bush spend on the same stuff? Having the secret service around has to bump up the price of travel a lot. I think that these kinds of stories are just spite, personally.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #3 of 23
Quote:

I have nothing else to reference this to. 10 million dollars is a lot of money but if the former First Lady spent 7 Million dollars then it's no so much of a deal.

We need some sort of context before we can generate our faux outrage at this abuse of American Tax Payer dollars.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 23
post #5 of 23

Nothing but a hit piece. Why even mention the cocktails, which the article admits are paid for personally by the Obamas from their personal budget, except to get someone's blood boiling.

Here's the source of the expenses, and it doesn't take two seconds to find it:

Quote:
CHRISTMAS BREAK IN HAWAII: DECEMBER 2010

According to the Hawaii Reporter, the bill for the $1.5m trip included:

$63,000 on an early flight bringing Mrs Obama and the children to Hawaii ahead of the President.
$1,000,000 on Mr Obama’s return trip from Washington on Air Force One.
$38,000 for the ‘Winter White House’ beach property rental.
$16,000 to rent nearby homes for Secret Service and Navy Seals.
$134,000 for 24 White House staff to stay at the Moana Hotel.
$251,000 in police overtime.
$10,000 for an ambulance to be on hand at all times

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1WHX5jHYZ

That would have cost exactly the same under any other president. Perhaps the President should fly economy class? Perhaps he doesn't need any security.
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Nothing but a hit piece. Why even mention the cocktails, which the article admits are paid for personally by the Obamas from their personal budget, except to get someone's blood boiling.

That would have cost exactly the same under any other president. Perhaps the President should fly economy class? Perhaps he doesn't need any security.

It did not mention the 60 people she took with her to cater to her needs.This is getting out of hand when millions o fpeople are out of work and losing their homes to foreclosures.
post #7 of 23
Quote:

It did not mention the 60 people she took with her to cater to her needs.This is getting out of hand when millions o fpeople are out of work and losing their homes to foreclosures.

To cater to her needs? You're editorializing, or being manipulated by those who are. Are you denying that there are security and professional needs for a First Lady of te United States who also happens to be a lawyer? These are not private masseurs, manicurists and hairdressers we're talking about here.
post #8 of 23
Quote:

most of my friends have had to give up any vacation this summer, too much and worried about keeping jobs they resent the vacation perpetual obama's

"let them eat cake" version 2 comes to mind
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #9 of 23
Quote:

To cater to her needs? You're editorializing, or being manipulated by those who are. Are you denying that there are security and professional needs for a First Lady of te United States who also happens to be a lawyer? These are not private masseurs, manicurists and hairdressers we're talking about here.

She is spoiled and a double talker also. She emphasizes good health on one hand and then she gobbles up cheeseburgers and fries on the other hand. A hypocrite indeed.Laura Bush never spent over 10 million dollars on these extravagant trips Michelle took.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

most of my friends have had to give up any vacation this summer, too much and worried about keeping jobs they resent the vacation perpetual obama's

"let them eat cake" version 2 comes to mind

You are correct sir jobs are scarce and hard to get here.
post #11 of 23
Quote:

Laura Bush never spent over 10 million dollars on these extravagant trips Michelle took.

I'm going to challenge that. Prove it.
post #12 of 23
I'm also going to challenge the conjecture that Obama has taken a lot of vacation time compared to other presidents. At the end of his term let's count the days... I bet it won't even be HALF of what Bush is famous for having taken (more than any other president in history).
post #13 of 23
people that have voted for obama have told me "he needs to stay in washington and work this out....get to work" "what another vacation"
the PERCEPTION is he doesn't care, likes the presidential perks more than the common man issues....
we are in troubled times and he needs to be more sensitive

that caravan 40+ vehicles and the canadian made bus, doens't sit well with people wrapped up in this economic pain.
he and his wife show indifference...i can't find anyone that says "he works so hard for us...he diserves time off"

its just the opposite. his internal polling probably says the same thing
when i ask to discuss obama, its certainly not the same as opening up a discussion 3 years ago. he and his wife should be more sensitive.

that's his political reality him or his wife.

she passes no laws, doens't really set policy except this "food desert" issue but perception is that both are out of touch and need to make an effort to get back to the people
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #14 of 23
Quote:

Well in terms of First Ladies staff Michelle Obama takes first place in spending.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/13827

Quote:
Laura was no piker when it came to spending. But she pales in comparison with Miz Michelle, who requires eight to ten additional attendants at an extra cost to taxpayers of $700,000 and change - - the only change American taxpayers can believe in.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Well in terms of First Ladies staff Michelle Obama takes first place in spending.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/13827

Thanks for the info. While she can surely prune the bonsai a little, it's not as though it's going to put a dent in the deficit.

And how do you know she's first? Laura Bush was a homely grandmother, and I wouldn't expect her to do any sophisticated traveling and events planning. What was the story with Hillary?
post #16 of 23
Quote:

We knew it was a "hit piece" when A) It was about Obama and B) It was derogatory.
post #17 of 23
Quote:

Thanks for the info. While she can surely prune the bonsai a little, it's not as though it's going to put a dent in the deficit.

And how do you know she's first? Laura Bush was a homely grandmother, and I wouldn't expect her to do any sophisticated traveling and events planning. What was the story with Hillary?

From the article:

Quote:
The article, which became a chain letter viewed by millions of Americans, reported that Michelle Obama requires more than twenty attendants - - more than any First Lady in U.S. History. It provided the following list of White House staff members assigned to the First Lady:

It may not put a dent in the deficit, but it is certainly not sending a great message to people about fiscal responsibility either. And before you talk about the Bush's, Clinton's or others just stop. They are not in office during this downturn. The actions taken now need be reflective of the economic times. This is not responsible by any stretch.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

From the article:

It may not put a dent in the deficit, but it is certainly not sending a great message to people about fiscal responsibility either. And before you talk about the Bush's, Clinton's or others just stop. They are not in office during this downturn. The actions taken now need be reflective of the economic times. This is not responsible by any stretch.

Fair enough.
post #19 of 23
Quote:

Laura Bush was more interesting in the young people getting a good education and was a strict advocate for that.Michelle Obama is just spoiled and is insensitive to other people except her own family.Read further down upon what L Bush spent please on the other posts.
post #20 of 23
If I recall Bush mostly went to his ranch or Camp David. The Obamas seem to have more expensive tastes. It is a stressful job and they need vacations but they should probably tone it down a bit.
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If I recall Bush mostly went to his ranch or Camp David. The Obamas seem to have more expensive tastes. It is a stressful job and they need vacations but they should probably tone it down a bit.

The word moderation should come into effect with this couple and their spending sprees especially his wife.
post #22 of 23
Quote:

I don't think any reasonable person is saying that. Presidential trips are often going to include family and loads of security. I think the objection people have is the Obamas taking pretty lavish vacations on the taxpayer dime at a time of economic turmoil. Do they really need to go to Hawaii? Martha's Vineyard? Does Michelle need to stay in a 5 star hotel and bring 200 people with her? The President is more than entitled to a vacation. But he has Camp David. He could go to a domestic beach with the proper security (something isolated, obviously). Secondly, it's the perception of a wanton disregard for taxpayers that gets people...like when Michelle took a separate 747 to meet him a few hours later. It's just not necessary. It's certainly horrible PR. Then again, Michelle is bad enough at PR that she starts an anti-obesity campaign and is seen several times in public eating cheeseburgers and fries. So yeah.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't think any reasonable person is saying that. Presidential trips are often going to include family and loads of security. I think the objection people have is the Obamas taking pretty lavish vacations on the taxpayer dime at a time of economic turmoil. Do they really need to go to Hawaii? Martha's Vineyard? Does Michelle need to stay in a 5 star hotel and bring 200 people with her? The President is more than entitled to a vacation. But he has Camp David. He could go to a domestic beach with the proper security (something isolated, obviously). Secondly, it's the perception of a wanton disregard for taxpayers that gets people...like when Michelle took a separate 747 to meet him a few hours later. It's just not necessary. It's certainly horrible PR. Then again, Michelle is bad enough at PR that she starts an anti-obesity campaign and is seen several times in public eating cheeseburgers and fries. So yeah.

You are right on with everything you mentioned.They are acting like 2 spoiled brats not adults at all.Especially Michelle Obama
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Michelle Obama