or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.6 on new PB15" Aug2011 ?

10.6 on new PB15" Aug2011 ?

post #1 of 4
Hi all, new to the this forum.

Q1. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get rid of the 10.7 that is on the new PB15" 6750m bought today so I can get 10.6 installed to get my old working programs to work again ?
Q2. Will 10.6 or 10.5 work ?
Q3. What is needed to make it work on this PB ?
Q4. Is there special driver needed when booting into safe mode to make this work ?

I have a lot of program $12k that has been on my Imac "2007" or 10.4 and half of them does not work with 10.6.8 , 10.6.5 is max I would go too.

Q5. Is there a decent non 10.7 program that could clean out duplicates + sort then move files to a new location before I transfer ? Organize files program ?
Q6. Is there a way to get my user transferred to the new laptop including bookmarks + user name + password + keychain + mail and excluding actual rest of the user settings ?
Not just the normal copy everything option during install.
IE: default user as if new user + important mail addresses keychain other user files excluding user specific profile settings for OSX .

Cloud anything is not a option, lost too much data on a cloud service and internet would take 58000 years to upload my needed files to the cloud.

Q7. What is the best anti-glare film to use with Apple laptops as they did not have anti-glare PB in stock today.

Thanks for the help / pointing me in the right direction.
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by G7Cube View Post

Q1. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get rid of the 10.7 that is on the new PB15" 6750m bought today so I can get 10.6 installed to get my old working programs to work again ?

MacBook Pro. They haven't sold PowerBooks for SIX YEARS.

Quote:
Q2. Will 10.6 or 10.5 work?

10.5 is physically impossible. Anything before 10.6.6 is physically impossible, but you can downgrade to pre-Lion, yes.

Quote:
Q3. What is needed to make it work on this PB ?

Buy a retail disc of 10.6.6, 10.6.7, or 10.6.8 (if they made them. The last one is a definite nope).

Quote:
I have a lot of program $12k that has been on my Imac "2007" or 10.4 and half of them does not work with 10.6.8

Then you need to find new developers for software that actually update their programs more than once every six years.

Quote:
10.6.5 is max I would go too.

Then you're going to need to RETURN that computer you just bought.

Quote:
Q5. Is there a decent non 10.7 program that could clean out duplicates + sort then move files to a new location before I transfer ? Organize files program ?

"Non-10.7"? Just get anything Intel-based. There are plenty of duplicate file-finder applications, but most have terrible interfaces.

Quote:
Q6. Is there a way to get my user transferred to the new laptop including bookmarks + user name + password + keychain + mail and excluding actual rest of the user settings ?
Not just the normal copy everything option during install.
IE: default user as if new user + important mail addresses keychain other user files excluding user specific profile settings for OSX .

Er… maybe move all of those other files you don't want transferred to some other hard drive (in other words, wipe the user in question clean minus those preferences) and just use Migration Assistant? That should work, though it's a little bit of a pain and I know of no other way to do it.

Quote:
Q7. What is the best anti-glare film to use with Apple laptops as they did not have anti-glare PB in stock today.

Anything that is marketed as being designed for a 15.4" screen should work.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 4
Thanks that sounds good. I should have a 10.6.6 retail dvd laying around somewhere.

PB lol bad habit I still call ati video cards ati not AMD, this will never change. AMD makes cpu's, ATI makes video cards, PB/MB/laptop same thing.
Darn it is already close to 4 years, good point. Mid 2007 to mid 2011.

Like the rest of us nuclear scientist here I have no clue where to find half this info or keychains or other stuff that is important for this transfer that is why me / G7Cube idiot asks.

Was really hoping that in last "6 years" 4 years there would be a program / app that could properly do the user transfer by now. Maybe I am asking too AMD HD6990m too much.

Thanks.
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by G7Cube View Post

Like the rest of us nuclear scientist here I have no clue where to find half this info or keychains or other stuff that is important for this transfer that is why me / G7Cube idiot asks.

Well, like I said, Migration Assistant will do this beautifully; it's designed for this very thing.

It's just also designed to move everything else from your user accounts at the same time.

You don't have to know where your stored information for preferences and keychain information is stored; just move your media (movies, music, pictures, etc.) and documents (user files you've created) off of that computer to an external hard drive or something. Then when Migration Assistant is used, it will port your preferences and keychain information (seamlessly) without the hassle of moving all those other files along with that like you wanted. Then you can put your other files back by hand.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.6 on new PB15" Aug2011 ?