or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4 - Page 2

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Given Android's market dominance and the vast array of Android handset designs available Apple would very foolish not to introduce something visibly new.

Nonsense.

Consistency good.
Fragmentation bad.
Market share irrelevant (particularly share of 'race to the bottom'.)
% of profits important.

See how that works?
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

If the best Apple can come up with after almost a year and a half is an upgrade of internal components, it will likely hurt the company's image. I personally think there will likely be some sort of overhaul of the design. If Apple was just going to make internal changes, there would be little reason to delay the launch of the phone until fall.

Did you have a distant relative who came up with the idea of big honkin' fins on 1960 cars?
Same reasoning.
'Change it purely for the sake of changing it.'
post #43 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I like the current design, too. And yet, whenever Apple releases a new design for any of their products, they somehow make the previous one look outdated. It's pretty amazing actually.

Anyway, the iPhone 4 doesn't feel "old" to me. It came out only 13 months ago, and it launched on Verizon since then, so I feel like it's still "new" to a lot of people.

Luckily, Apple doesn't pay a lot of attention to the 'Short Attention Span Theater' crowd.
post #44 of 88
I hoping that this year's iPhone will be a dull upgrade because I'm still locked into my ATT contract for 1 more year.
post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

People have to remember that Apple uses a 3:2 aspect ratio screen, while it appears Android is moving to a 16:9 screen. These aspect ratios have tradeoffs.

.

16:9 is useful for one thing and one thing only.
For a device used ONLY for viewing SOME movies.

For portrait mode, its completely unwieldy. In landscape, its like looking through a mailbox slot.

But by all means, I welcome Android makers going down that rathole.
post #46 of 88
I have the iPhone 4. Great device, so-so phone. I love it. I own nothing but Apple products. I own nothing but AAPL in my portfolio. For years and years. But the aesthetic of the iPhone 4 doesn't even match that of the iPhone 3, in my very strong opinion. It's very un-unibody. To stick with the exact same look would kill a lot of the buzz factor. It would essentially be saying that Jonny took a year and a half vacation from the iPhone team.

And so, like I said, I'm not buying it.

Quote:
1) Such a bore that after 5 quarters it's the best selling iPhone ever.

2) You're not buying it yet the iPhone 3GS sold much better than the iPhone 3G. You and the_peripheral should think before reply.
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Apple knows that a considerable chunk of people upgrade purely for the new aesthetic. The current form factor is and always was a bore. A year and a half later -- barring some issue with pure physics -- there is no way the design will remain as-is.

I challenge 'considerable chunk'.
Some? Probably. But mostly flighty, attention span impaired types.
But the huge numbers still buying iPhone 4 would seem to indicate the opposite tho'.
Frankly, only Apple can really make their own products look obsolete. Don't know why they'd do that with an already excellent form factor.
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

... I own nothing but AAPL in my portfolio. ...

Off topic, but that's not particularly smart, but I'm sure you've been told that by others.
I loves me AAPL, but even I'm aware that the insane growth curve probably has another couple years in it, at which point the market will pull back.

Just sayin'.
Don't be a 'slaughtered hog'.
post #49 of 88
I like the design of the iP4 and I think it could be good enough for another 9 months. Short update this September, same exteriors upgraded internals. All new iP6 next summer.
But the slimmer IPhone in this video looks pretty slick.

YouTube Video of iP5?

Copied from this AI report.

Apple's iPhone 5 rumored with metal chassis, less than 4-inch screen
post #50 of 88
I refuse to accept that this is the iPhone 5...

I WANT MY 4" SCREEN!!!
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I refuse to accept that this is the iPhone 5...

I WANT MY 4" SCREEN!!!

Buy an Android, then. I prefer a phone that I'd actually want to take places.
post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy an Android, then. I prefer a phone that I'd actually want to take places.

put your pinky down you false elitist.

he is allowed to wish for iOS on a 4 inch screen.
post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Such a bore that after 5 quarters it's the best selling iPhone ever.

2) You're not buying it yet the iPhone 3GS sold much better than the iPhone 3G. You and the_peripheral should think before reply.


PS: Whatever happened to the iPhone 4 design being a commercial and technical failure that they'd all be recalled and new model released by Septemeber 2010?

The reason the 3GS sold more was because the 3G was garbage. I actually consider the 3GS to be the first real upgrade for the iPhone. They changed almost everything about the phone for that upgrade.

The thing that nobody seems to get is that the iPhone 4 is so powerful, that a boost in power isn't gonna matter much to anybody. With the 3GS, the power was boosted in a way that people could actually really feel the difference because the 3G was so horrible and slow.

That's the difference.
post #54 of 88
if these reports are accurate that the next iPhone will be a minor upgrade featuring very similar hardware then i am really starting wonder what they are thinking.

because it will be almost a year and a half from the iPhone 4 release which in tech years is ancient history. they are seriously in danger of falling behind.

the competition has many phones with a 4+ inch display as well as 4g lte, significantly faster dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, you can stream your entire music library (no my syncing or downloading or worrying about filling up your storage), navigation, voice commands, customization, etc, etc.

don't be so dismissive about the competition. it certainly isn't perfect, but my god the features and hardware and choices that are available are amazing. and apple has only one phone which is looking pretty similar to the last phone.....
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

The reason the 3GS sold more was because the 3G was garbage. I actually consider the 3GS to be the first real upgrade for the iPhone. They changed almost everything about the phone for that upgrade.

The thing that nobody seems to get is that the iPhone 4 is so powerful, that a boost in power isn't gonna matter much to anybody. With the 3GS, the power was boosted in a way that people could actually really feel the difference because the 3G was so horrible and slow.

That's the difference.

The 3G was considerably faster than its predecessor. A lot of its performance depended on network conditions. Mine was fantastic in Boston when I travelled there, and slow and buggy in suburban Philly where I live.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The 3G was considerably faster than its predecessor. A lot of its performance depended on network conditions. Mine was fantastic in Boston when I travelled there, and slow and buggy in suburban Philly where I live.

I'm talking about just general speed in the use of the phone, not network speed. The phone worked faster and better. I remember I had the original iPhone at that time, and when I typed, the letters would show up half a second after I touched the letter. When I got the 3GS, all of that changed.

That's why people bought into it. It had video, faster, better battery life, voice controls, etc...lots of new features. None of those things can really be upgraded in a new phone to a point where people are going to freak out about it and buy no matter what.
post #57 of 88
It's all BS..bottom line is no one knows how the new phone looks like because Apple this time has made sure there are no leaks. I believe the new iPhone will be substantially different since they have taken more time to develop it.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #58 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So many speculations, so few lost test devices... I wonder if all iPhone testers are forced to become teetotalers nowadays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

If the best Apple can come up with after almost a year and a half is an upgrade of internal components, it will likely hurt the company's image. I personally think there will likely be some sort of overhaul of the design. If Apple was just going to make internal changes, there would be little reason to delay the launch of the phone until fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

After reading the iPhone 5 rumors for a few months now, I'm finally ready to offer my own prediction: the screen on the next iPhone will either be larger than, smaller than, or the same size as that of the current model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I'd be disappointed if this were true. Even a slightly larger screen does make a tangible difference, I'd really like a 4 inch display iPhone.

I think this is great - for the first time in awhile, Apple's got the rumor sites really chasing their tails again, dissecting multiple sets of what may or may not be entrails of a release of one or two devices! the same! totally different! kinda different! bigger screen! no change!

as Apple grew and became a phone phenomenon, all the multiple suppliers and carriers tended to steal the thunder with their leaks. I think Apple's starting to get a handle on that (and probably spreading plenty of dis-info, false leads, etc.) and restoring some of their secrecy.

and nobody outside of the company has any real idea what's gonna be. hope the veil holds until as soon before the official announcement as possible. and that there's maybe....

....one more thing.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Apple this time has made sure there are no leaks.

Um

Quote:
I believe the new iPhone will be substantially different since they have taken more time to develop it.

And I believe it'll be substantially the same design with better specs.
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This year seems ideal for Apple to grow the iPhone brand into two distinct screen sizes.

A no contract model.
The iPhone 4
And iPhone 5.
post #61 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

a lot of people who are expecting a redesign will be VERY disappointed...

they can go buy one of apple's competitor's phones if it turn out to be too much of a disappointment.

personally, i feel the screen size is just finebut it better have copy/pastewaaaaah!!!!!!
post #62 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Off topic, but that's not particularly smart, but I'm sure you've been told that by others.

That is a cliche that is generally true. Just not here. In 2005 I sold all of my vested Microsoft stock for AAPL. I sold a few others as well. My portfolio is all AAPL. It's been very good to me, and I've never been blind in each and every one of my decisions over the years to keep it. Very informed decisions, I might add.
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

... Seriously will 3.7" make that much of a difference from 3.5" to those of you who want a bigger screen? ....

Well, ahhh, it is bigger. IMO a lot of us 'bigger' crowd do not want 4.5 or 5 etc... thats just a red herring/straw man or whatever arguement.
At least for me, just saying a bit bigger... thats all. Yes 3.7 would be just fine.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #64 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

a lot of people who are expecting a redesign will be VERY disappointed...

yes like me
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

I dont know exactly what is going to happen. They have kept the same design before, but with that they changed almost everything else about the phone, and it all mattered back then. Now, if they change the internals, the 4 is powerful enough to handle all the new iOS changes, so what's the point of upgrading? All I can say for sure is what's going to happen for myself. If they release a newly designed phone, I'm in. If they don't, I'm out. Thousands of people feel the same. Millions of dollars lost.

That's my place.

Yup.

People are kidding themselves if they think the current form factor can survive another fiscal year. The climate has changed considerably. WP7 w/ Nokia, Samsung Galaxy S 2 etc..

Apple knows that they have to offer a redesign in place of, or in addition to the ip4. Suggesting otherwise after 13+ months is silly.

Moreover, investors will be looking for an impressive release now that Jobs has stepped down.
post #66 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Seriously will 3.7" make that much of a difference from 3.5" to those of you who want a bigger screen?

5.65"sq v. 6.32"sq. I find it hard that Apple would mess with the dimensions of the iPhone in that way unless it planned to continue with one new handset model per year and wanted 3.7" to be the new norm going forward. They'd still have to release a new SDK so apps can be optimized for the new display size, regardless of what happens to the resolution. Seems like a effort for a little gain. At this point I think it's more likely Apple would grow the iPhone brand by having a 3.5" and 4.x" option as two distinct models each year.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #67 of 88
Apple kept the 3G/3GS design around for two years / cycles. The Verizon (CDMA) model iPhone 4 has only been out since February and the white iPhone 4 is only 5 months old.

Given that Apple's "big bang" this fall is going to be iCloud, my guess is that the new iPhone 4S/5 is going to retain the same overall form factor with any changes happening under the hood. Case manufacturers need a break too
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
Reply
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
Reply
post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Yup.

People are kidding themselves if they think the current form factor can survive another fiscal year. The climate has changed considerably. WP7 w/ Nokia, Samsung Galaxy S 2 etc..

Apple knows that they have to offer a redesign in place of, or in addition to the ip4. Suggesting otherwise after 13+ months is silly.

They have to? You mean like they had to change the case design for the 3rd iPhone? The way they had to release an iPhone with a slide out keyboard? The way they had to put more buttons on the face of every iPhone? The way they had to release the first iPhone as '3G'? The way they had to increase the screen resolution on the 2nd and 3rd iPhone to compete? The way they had to recall all the iPhone 4s because of engineering design flaw of using an external antenna?

Lots of have tos over the years and yet Apple keeps on doing what Apple wants to do with great success.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #69 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

No, iPod will be a bullet point in the iPhone event. iPhone is the biggest money maker for Apple. iPods, perhaps aside from touch, are sliding into a marginal territory as people transition to phones as iPods.

I doubt apple would be content just leaving the phone exactly the same, because the payoff on investment in new design is more than enough to cover the cost.

Apple has already gotten some major competitors out of business, only Android remains. With iOS 5 and iCloud it would only make sense to go all out and intro a new design as well to sweep the people off their feet and buy or return to the iPhone.

I don't see the iPod Touch ever becoming "marginal" because there are too many people (especially young people) that will use an iPod Touch and not an iPhone. I know I am not going to set up an iPhone plan with an accompanying $30 data (each) for my kids when an iPod Touch will serve them just fine.
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

16:9 is useful for one thing and one thing only.
For a device used ONLY for viewing SOME movies.

For portrait mode, its completely unwieldy. In landscape, its like looking through a mailbox slot.

But by all means, I welcome Android makers going down that rathole.

Or you could think of it as a 3:2 screen with an additional area at the top or bottom for notifications/widgets/game controls etc.

Clever huh?
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

That is a cliche that is generally true. Just not here. In 2005 I sold all of my vested Microsoft stock for AAPL. I sold a few others as well. My portfolio is all AAPL. It's been very good to me, and I've never been blind in each and every one of my decisions over the years to keep it. Very informed decisions, I might add.

If you ENTIRE portfolio is Apple you are a FOOL. I don't care what stock you invest in...placing all your $$$ in one single stock is ridiculously unwise.
post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

if these reports are accurate that the next iPhone will be a minor upgrade featuring very similar hardware then i am really starting wonder what they are thinking.

because it will be almost a year and a half from the iPhone 4 release which in tech years is ancient history. they are seriously in danger of falling behind.

the competition has many phones with a 4+ inch display as well as 4g lte, significantly faster dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, you can stream your entire music library (no my syncing or downloading or worrying about filling up your storage), navigation, voice commands, customization, etc, etc.

don't be so dismissive about the competition. it certainly isn't perfect, but my god the features and hardware and choices that are available are amazing. and apple has only one phone which is looking pretty similar to the last phone.....

your well-agued, rational point of view will not be welcome here. sorry.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

The reason the 3GS sold more was because the 3G was garbage. I actually consider the 3GS to be the first real upgrade for the iPhone. They changed almost everything about the phone for that upgrade.

The thing that nobody seems to get is that the iPhone 4 is so powerful, that a boost in power isn't gonna matter much to anybody. With the 3GS, the power was boosted in a way that people could actually really feel the difference because the 3G was so horrible and slow.

That's the difference.

And we saw what iOS 4 did to the 3GS. Mine ran like a dog compared to when it had iOS 3.xx installed. I wonder what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 4? I can only imagine what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 3GS...NO..I can imagine. I just need to recall my wife's iPhone 3G running iOS 4.xx.

We will see how powerful the iPhone 4 is when iOS 5.xx comes out.
post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

I'm not gonna get into an argument about this, it's useless. All I know is what's true. If they change the design, I will buy one. If not, I won't. I know that there are thousands of people out there who feel the same way, especially people who don't care about internals. Think about all those people out there who will reject an iPhone 4S clone because it looks exactly like what they have, without even realizing it has better internals.

I sort-of agree with you in that if this is not an aesthetic re-design, I'm not buying unless it does a lot of things the iPhone 4 doesn't do. And this will be the first year I haven't upgraded. On the other hand, if I were the manufacturer of the best-selling phone in history, I doubt I would be making too many changes. And I don't remember a time when a relatively small number of loud complainers affected Apple's design plans.
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Seems plenty of members here want a bigger screen with the same resolution of 960x640? Because iOS 5 beta 6 is out and there has been no information at all pertaining to higher resolution for iPod Touch/iPhone devices. And the developers that iOS (Apple) craves so much are right now updating their apps for 960x640 resolution. Seriously will 3.7" make that much of a difference from 3.5" to those of you who want a bigger screen?

Why not just get an iPad? I remember Steve saying the 5" - 7" devices were tweener devices that would fade in time. Doesn't sound like Steve thinks a bigger screen is needed for the iPod/iPhone line. That is what the iPad is for and I think the current iPhone is the perfect size for a mobile media player and phone. If I want something bigger for mobile use I'd get an iPad personally.

Why not get an iPad? Because it is not a iPhone ... so it's not a phone.

We are talking about a 4 inch display... not a 5 inch to 7 inch display. So your comment is pointless.

While I like iOS better than Android or Windows 7 Phone (still a nice OS) I cannot deny using a 4 inch or 4.3 inch screen is really a better experience. It is so much easier to use and read. Apple has the advantage of upgrading the screen size since they already have the greatest resolution. Anyone who keeps denying how much better a 4 inch screen really needs to USE such a phone instead of just posting what they THINK the experience will be like. I cannot stand naysayers who actually have not even experienced what they complain about.
post #76 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If you ENTIRE portfolio is Apple you are a FOOL. I don't care what stock you invest in...placing all your $$$ in one single stock is ridiculously unwise.

Surely that depends on what percentage of your net worth is allocated to your stock portfolio? If it's 75%, then sure it's very risky. If it's 10%, no big deal.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If you ENTIRE portfolio is Apple you are a FOOL. I don't care what stock you invest in...placing all your $$$ in one single stock is ridiculously unwise.

and buy stocks instead of options is even more ridiculous since options make you way more money with a fraction of risk

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Or you could think of it as a 3:2 screen with an additional area at the top or bottom for notifications/widgets/game controls etc.

Clever huh?

Not, really, no. It doesn't stop the device from being freakishly unwieldy.
post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They'd still have to release a new SDK so apps can be optimized for the new display size, regardless of what happens to the resolution. Seems like a effort for a little gain.

Apple can make a bigger screen WITHOUT increasing the resolution. The ppi will be slightly smaller but at 3.7", it'll still be retina display. As long as the resolution stays the same, app developers have nothing to change or worry about and Apple doesn't need to make any new SDK.
post #80 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Anyone who keeps denying how much better a 4 inch screen really needs to USE such a phone instead of just posting what they THINK the experience will be like. I cannot stand naysayers who actually have not even experienced what they complain about.

I HAVE a 4" Samsung Epic 4G and I HATE how big and bulky it is. The ONLY reason why I am using it is because Sprint doesn't have an iPhone. As soon as Sprint get the iphone, I'm jumping ship. If Sprint doesn't have the iPhone, I'll be changing carrier. AT&T has a good plan now that they're offering unlimited mobile to any mobile. I expect Verizon to do the same soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4