or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar - Page 3

post #81 of 156
this, folks, is viral marketing at it's best. if the story is even true..

is there really any way to get more buzz about a new product?
post #82 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Forget about carjacks, assaults, or missing children. This is important! Apple lost an iPhone.

Well...It is "Priceless" after all. Screw you Apple. The police shouldn't be involved in the search of a single phone, prototype or not.
post #83 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

The police are wasting their time looking for a phone... Must be a slow month for actual crime.

This guy allowed them to search his house? I'd go along, sure, after they provide PC and a judge to sign off on it. Oh wait, this is the Post-PC world so we can forget about due process.

I also would have told the police to take a hike unless they had a warrant.
post #84 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Jesus, this is quite a screw-up. How many people do they have to fire before they can get rid of the careless drunks from their payrolls?

OR this is someone BS bit of fun to make Apple look bad, reprinted by hit whore websites that know that the only thing that gets more return than an article about Apple is a negative article about Apple.
post #85 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Comments regarding drinking are silly here. There's probably some kind of protocol that was violated related to taking sensitive property such as a product prototype off site. Whether they frequent bars or not I can't imagine it's normal for employees to casually carry something like this around with them.

They test them off-site. They will have rules and regs as to who, how, where and when, but Apple staff do take them out. Limiting testing to on campus only would be effectively no testing at all.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #86 of 156
This guy walks into a pub with his prototype iphone 5 and the barman says..................

Is it me or is there a joke in there somewhere?
post #87 of 156
welcome to Apple's new Alternate Reality iPhone game!
post #88 of 156
Why doesn't Apple "false flag" their prototypes and use Android device cases?

Something that looks like a dead Android ("It's the new iPhone! Really! Trust me!") isn't gonna have much black market value anywhere.
post #89 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

The original story on Cnet doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire story (and right now it sounds like a made up story) is attributed to "the source".

Most likely

Quote:

1) Cnet contacts SFPD and writes "A spokesman for the San Francisco Police Department said

I can't see any police department giving a comment to any reporter. Particularly when it is Apple who would probably sue given that this could likely be considered an ongoing investigation

Quote:
2) "The source" said it was sold on eBay for $200?

After last year no one would be nuts enough to even try it since it would be a big flashing arrow saying 'stolen goods here'. Remember in Cali if you find something and don't return it, you stole it.

Quote:
3) Cnet says "Still unclear are details about the device, what version of the iOS operating system it was running, and what it looks like."
So, you're telling me this anonymous source knew which bar the phone was lost at, who's house the police supposedly went to, and how much it sold for on craigslist, but they couldn't describe what it looked like?

yep. That is the big fishy part of it all. That no one turned up details. If someone really got a prototype they would have spread it all over dozens of sites claiming to be scores of different sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

This is a good point. Apple developers should NOT be able to take these prototypes into public places like bars, I think they should only be used within the Apple campus and not allowed outside

if they did that then the phones would be potentially release even worse working than the .1% of folks that had issues last summer because they can't replicate real world situations in a lab as well as just being in the real world
post #90 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

BS - I'm not expecting a Pulitzer. If you want to spend your time reading National Enquirer, be my guest.

If you want to read better material, go elsewhere. The irony of returning to a pub to complain about the beer is kind of obvious, isn't it?
post #91 of 156
What a crappy society we live in where no one return what does not belong to them and always try to make a buck on everything...

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #92 of 156
i'd take it with the plan to return but ONLY to SJ and shake his hand firmly
"thank you for a spectacular-GENERATION"
i'd keep the secret till after the official release and then post my story
that handshake would be worth more than 10k to me my family and fellow mac friends.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #93 of 156
I wonder how much time it was between it being lost and them showing up at the house. Had it been sold before they showed up? If not and it the guy they spoke to had it, he was pretty dumb to turn down their offer. They probably offered a pretty nice amount which he probably wouldn't be able to get from another party (maybe Samsung or google), especially not on craigslist.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #94 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

For such a secretive ....

You know who to call ...

Ghostbusters?
post #95 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

I hope it wasn't the same person who lost the iPhone 4...

LMFAO!
post #96 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

"Andre... you've lost another submarine?"

That's exactly what I thought of!
post #97 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinScrimgeour View Post

This guy walks into a pub with his prototype iphone 5 and the barman says..................

Is it me or is there a joke in there somewhere?

A Priest, Jesus, and an Apple engineer walk into a bar...

Jesus steps up to the bar and asks, "Can I have a wine glass full of water?

The bartender looks at Jesus and says, "Sure thing... Hey! Aren't you Steve Jobs?"

Let's see where this goes.
post #98 of 156
Quote:

I wonder how much time it was between it being lost and them showing up at the house. Had it been sold before they showed up? If not and it the guy they spoke to had it, he was pretty dumb to turn down their offer. They probably offered a pretty nice amount which he probably wouldn't be able to get from another party (maybe Samsung or google), especially not on craigslist.

Clearly an Android user not familiar with the free Find My iPhone feature.
post #99 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Forget about carjacks, assaults, or missing children. This is important! Apple lost an iPhone.

Yet again.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #100 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by roktheworld27 View Post

So this is what, the 2nd prototype Apple's trying to get back? Is it me or has Apple lost that level of secrecy?

No its most DEFINATELY YOU!!!!!!

This story is not even confirmed yet so how could Apple have lost anything?

Let alone its secrecy
post #101 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

What a crappy society we live in where no one return what does not belong to them and always try to make a buck on everything...

It's been happening since the beginning of mankind, if you're a U.S. citizen, you're on stolen land.
post #102 of 156
So Apple denies it, the police supposedly investigated and even searched a home, yet there is no police report on file, the device was supposedly sold on Craigslist yet inexplicably it hasn't surfaced anywhere...

Sounds perfectly credible, no?

No.
post #103 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's been happening since the beginning of mankind, if you're a U.S. citizen, you're on stolen land.

Bullshit. You must be a liberal. The island that I am standing on was purchased for $24 from some indians a long time ago and it is not stolen.
post #104 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Well...It is "Priceless" after all. Screw you Apple. The police shouldn't be involved in the search of a single phone, prototype or not.

Veracity of the story aside, why exactly shouldn't the police be involved when something incredibly valuable is stolen?

It's a very sad testament to the state of our society that a basic understanding seems to have been lost on an entire generation of people: when you pick up and take something that doesn't belong to you, you have just stolen something - even if you 'just found it laying there'. Possession is not 9/10 of the law, no matter how obscured our society has made this issue.

Let's say you are in the library and you 'just find' a purse sitting on a chair. So you decide 'hey, awesome! Finders keepers!' What's that?

THEFT.

And the police should be involved in it, especially if the thing you took is worth millions of dollars. This is no different - if it indeed happened, Apple's property was stolen by someone and they deserve the same police services we all have access to when our property is taken from us.
post #105 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Perhaps, but if that's the case we just stole it from the guys who stole it from the guys who stole it from the guys stole it from the guy who was given it buy the guy who created it.
post #106 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two of the individuals allegedly involved.... have been charged.... but the San Mateo County district attorney's office decided that arguing a case against Gizmodo would be too much work.

The "would be too much work" statement caught my attention. So out of curiosity, I drilled through a number of referring links and sites and nowhere could I find a press release from the SMC district attorney's office stating that presenting a case "would be too much work."

The SMC DA's press release simply stated, After a consideration of all of the evidence, it was determined that no charges would be filed against employees of Gizmodo.

I checked a number of other news outlet reports -- but certainly not exhaustive list -- on the DA's decision but there, too, I came up empty handed. No mention anywhere that the requisite investment in person-hours to present a case determined the DA's decision.

All told, the DA provided no detail behind their Gizmodo decision -- case law, or other. Again, as I've only followed the events from afar I may have missed something but in the absence of any further evidence in the public domain, I think the comment is a reckless slur that needs calling out. It crosses a line well past zealot spin.

~ penalty assessed: 5 minute major
post #107 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Apple should start requiring that only employees who do not drink should be given prototypes.

This is getting ridiculous.

Agreed. People who lost valuable stuffs in places that serve alcohol are irresponsible and quite possibly a retard. In the UK, they have lost government secrets or sensitive public records materials. Get them fired or canned in public already, Tim!
post #108 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It was a tequila bar of all places. I doubt the engineer remembered his name when he left the bar.

10 years later, most of my time spent in SF bars are pretty much just one big blur. Especially once I discovered Jaegermeister, well, let's just say luckily there were no Facebook pictures back then.
post #109 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Welcome to Asia.
post #110 of 156
Quote:

* Brilliance *
post #111 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i'd take it with the plan to return but ONLY to SJ and shake his hand firmly
"thank you for a spectacular-GENERATION"
i'd keep the secret till after the official release and then post my story
that handshake would be worth more than 10k to me my family and fellow mac friends.

Don't worry, Gizmodo already tried to extort Steve Jobs. (They "asked" for special access to news in exchange for returning the iPhone 4 prototype)
post #112 of 156
Quote:

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #113 of 156
I haven't read all the posts yet so sorry if this has already been suggested but the solution is simple. Apple should have a chunk of plastic explosive in all prototypes and SJ have the remote 'wipe' code.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #114 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Bullshit. You must be a liberal. The island that I am standing on was purchased for $24 from some indians a long time ago and it is not stolen.

Please enough with dragging political comments into AI .. I am so sick of every blog descending into Tea Party v Liberals.

p.s. Classical liberalism is a philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, and liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism
post #115 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

and I've never lost my phone.

You're hired!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #116 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You're hired!

I'm a teetotaler. Do I get hired first?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #117 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area CA Male View Post

No its most DEFINATELY YOU!!!!!!

What's with people who post on tech boards and the spelling of this particular word (emphasis/capitalization in original post)?
post #118 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They were/are not 'indians' (sic). The were/are Native Americans.

Indians are people who live east of the river Indus (the name originates from Egyptians who called them that a few millennia ago).
post #119 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Indians are people who live east of the river Indus (the name originates from Egyptians who called them that a few millennia ago).

And they make some of the damn finest food in the UK
post #120 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Maybe, but when I was a kid I remember playing cowboys and indians, not cowboys and native Americans.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar