or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple acquiesces, resumes sales of $999 Final Cut Studio

Apple acquiesces, resumes sales of $999 Final Cut Studio

post #1 of 52
After seeing a strong user backlash against Final Cut Pro X, Apple has caved to pressure from the video editing community and resumed sales of Final Cut Studio, though it is currently only available over the phone [updated with response from Apple].

Update: As weve done before with many end-of-life software products, we have a limited quantity of FInal Cut Studio still available through Apple telesales to customers who need them for ongoing projects, an Apple spokesperson has told The Loop.

A person familiar with the matter told AppleInsider earlier this week that Apple had issued an internal note stating that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for sale. "It is only available through the internal store via telesales," the tipster added.

However, calls placed to Apple by AppleInsider showed that not all sales staff have received the memo, as there appears to be some internal confusion over the status of the software. Multiple representatives for the company said on Thursday that Final Cut Studio is ineligible for purchase, while one member of the sales team did confirm that the legacy software is indeed available, but only over the phone, for $999.

That staff member also contradicted separate reports by saying there is no educational version available.

The Cupertino, Calif., company said in July that it was looking into the legal issues behind offering the previous version of Final Cut Pro for sale. At the time, the company had also said that Final Cut Studio was discontinued.

Apple released Final Cut Pro X exclusively on the Mac App Store in June, calling it a jaw-dropping and revolutionary update. But, many users, including a number of prominent industry professionals, quickly criticized the application for missing features and incompatibility with Final Cut Pro 7. Some have dubbed the release "iMovie Pro," complaining that it is unusable in many professional settings.

Several customers have reported receiving refunds after informing Apple that the software was unsuitable for their post-production needs.

AppleInsider exclusively reported last May that Apple was scaling the Final Cut product line to better target mainstream "prosumers," rather than high-end professionals. Apple quickly responded that the next version of Final Cut would be "awesome" and that "pro customers are going to love it."

The company even went so far as to invite a select group of professionals to preview Final Cut Pro X. However, some of those professionals have appeared to be vocal critics of the software upon its release.
post #2 of 52
My editor will be pleased, and I am pleased I will not have to pirate a copy. I want to support Apple, though my editor does not want to "upgrade" to FCX.
post #3 of 52
holy crap this is amazing!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 52
That's wonderful, Tim.

Now, how about iMacs with antiglare screens, and wireless aluminum keyboards with numeric keypads?
post #5 of 52
The "only available by phone" thing reminds me somehow that Apple once made a Linux version of Final Cut. Anyone else remember that? I never used it but I thought it sounded cool.
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
post #6 of 52
Remember when iMovie 06 came out and everyone hated it? Then Apple made iMovie HD available for a short time. This is the same thing. Though I would expect this to be temporary. When FCP X comes out, I expect this offer to go away. of course, FCP X will likely have more of the pro features brought back in by then too.
post #7 of 52
Wow. Imagine all the grief they would have saved if they would have just kept selling it!
post #8 of 52
Apple screwed up by EOLing FCP 7, before FCP X was robust enough to replace most FCP 7 functions -- this gave the install base no place to go.

This is a good first step to fixing that!

Now, (this month would be good) Apple must begin adding missing features to FCP X.

Ideally, Apple will provide (or allow 3rd-parties to provide) a best-effort migration tool to allow editors to move their old FCP 7 edits to FCP X, as needed.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #9 of 52
Good first move, Mr. Cook.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Remember when iMovie 06 came out and everyone hated it? Then Apple made iMovie HD available for a short time. This is the same thing. Though I would expect this to be temporary. When FCP X comes out, I expect this offer to go away. of course, FCP X will likely have more of the pro features brought back in by then too.

FCPX has been out. The uproar over incompatibility with it and FCP 7 is the reason they brought back FCP Studio.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 52
Quote:

Or when MS had to offer "downgrades" to previous versions of Mac Office because their new version sucked so much (I forget, was that Office 6 or 7 that was so bad). Or when MS kept trying to stop sales of XP but couldn't because their new OS wasn't up to the task.

I hope Apple doesn't keep following Microsoft's lead in this particular category!
post #12 of 52
Wait... $999, am I reading this right?

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzGerald View Post

Wait... $999, am I reading this right?

Final Cut Studio is a whole suite of programs.

For all of the so-called "pros" who were whining about FCPX, $999 isn't much at all. If somebody can't afford that, then they're not a pro and they should use iMovie.

It's good that Apple realized that they made a mistake and offered the old version for sale again. I'm mostly concerned about Logic Pro and I hope that they don't radically change Logic when the new version comes out.
post #14 of 52
Now can they please bring back Final Cut Server?
post #15 of 52
Apple should have done this long ago. Better late then never.
post #16 of 52
Honestly I think that is the biggest issue for pros with the new Final Cut. Pro's often recycle content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

FCPX has been out. The uproar over incompatibility with it and FCP 7 is the reason they brought back FCP Studio.
post #17 of 52
Now lets hope he releases phenomenon (stalled due to internal fighting) but it exists! Its Shake + Motion with glorious nodes!

Resurrecting Final Cut Server would be a great move.

Then after that fix FCPX and create Final Cut Server X (with a node based GUI for creating workflows).

It might also be too much to ask for bringing back the Xserve but that would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Good first move, Mr. Cook.
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Or when MS had to offer "downgrades" to previous versions of Mac Office because their new version sucked so much (I forget, was that Office 6 or 7 that was so bad). Or when MS kept trying to stop sales of XP but couldn't because their new OS wasn't up to the task.

I hope Apple doesn't keep following Microsoft's lead in this particular category!

Agreed. I have to say, this doesn't sound like a Jobsian decision.
post #19 of 52
Quote:

FCP X is out. That's part of the issue.

That said, telesales is hardly 'resuming sales' which implies that I can walk into any of my 4 local Apple stores tomorrow and grab a copy (not that I need it because my boss was smart enough to buy enough site licenses to cover the job we were bidding on in April just in case we actually got it when it came around this month)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple should have done this long ago. Better late then never.

According to my sources there were licensing issues. Basically the licenses that Apple had for several of the patented by someone else features were ending which is why FCPX was released when it was. These were features they either were not ever going to add or they would later when the license deal was set. They had to go back and talk to these companies about selling FCS3 again so they wouldn't get sued etc. Part of the deal could be that they can't press copies and put it 'back on the shelf' but sell only by specific request. And it is also possible that once said feature is released in FCPX, the deal for FCS3 is over. We shall see

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 52
"Apple relents" would be a more mainstream title to this article, though I do appreciate the higher level of intellect "acquiesces" strives for.
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

According to my sources there were licensing issues. Basically the licenses that Apple had for several of the patented by someone else features were ending which is why FCPX was released when it was. These were features they either were not ever going to add or they would later when the license deal was set. They had to go back and talk to these companies about selling FCS3 again so they wouldn't get sued etc. Part of the deal could be that they can't press copies and put it 'back on the shelf' but sell only by specific request. And it is also possible that once said feature is released in FCPX, the deal for FCS3 is over. We shall see

Thanks for that explanation .... which also explains Apple saying in July that it was "looking into the legal issues behind offering the previous version of Final Cut Pro for sale".
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #22 of 52
Hold on, now!

Larry Jordan a respected FCP expert, editor and trainer has posted the following update to his blog:

FCP 7 Back On Sale! UPDATED

Quote:
UPDATE

I spoke with an official Apple spokesperson, who told me that: As weve done before with many end-of-life software products, we have a limited quantity of Final Cut Studio still available through Apple telesales to customers who need them for ongoing projects.

I do believe that Parkinson's Law or the Peter Principal is involved here!

I am 72 years young -- in those many years, I've played the "stupid card" enough times -- to recognize it when I see it!

post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hold on, now!

Larry Jordan a respected FCP expert, editor and trainer
[/I][/B]

After the FCPX debacle, I believe "formerly respected" would be appropriate.
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lales View Post

I think that that's unfair!

I've watched Larry's presos on FCPX, taken a few of his courses, and followed his blog.

Larry appears to have approached FCPX with an honest assessment of what it is, what it can become, and what it isn't -- and put faith in Apple based on what he saw in FCPX and his prior experience with dealings with Apple and use of FCP over many years. FCP took several years before it was a usable product.

I think he was as surprised as anyone with the way Apple bungled the FCP X announcement, then quickly EOLed FCP 7.

BTW, for those who haven’t seen it. this is a sober and profound discussion of FCP X and FCP 7 by a panel of experts — including Larry:

The Final Cut - The whole presentation online

post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lales View Post

FINALLY - someone says it
post #26 of 52
Quote:

Hold on, now!

Larry Jordan a respected FCP expert, editor and trainer has posted the following update to his blog:

FCP 7 Back On Sale! – UPDATED

I am 72 years young -- in those many years, I've played the "stupid card" enough times -- to recognize it when I see it!

It's a shame if the note you link to is the truth and I suspect it is. I for one hoped Apple might rethink this and retain 7 and continue to develop it for the pro studios. After many weeks of serious comparison FCP 7 and FCP X are so different as to be like night and day. I don't want to restart a debate on the merits of either but the list of what I can do in 7 and can't in X is so long now as to be mind boggling. In trying to get my head around what the fundamental difference is I'd sum it up as the all encompassing automation in X that has me stymied in so many areas. A tiny example of the 'thinking for me' in X. Last night I simply wanted to capture a few seconds from an HD video camera of the studio. There was no media in the camera and I didn't need any as I was writing straight to disk. FCP X refused as the camera 'had no media' ... I flipped back to FCP 7 ... no problem.' I could go on all day. I repeat, I like X for what it is designed to do it is simply a different product and no replacement for 7 ... yet ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What has M$ to do with it?

I'm not big fan of M$ either but you guys should stop using it as scapegoat for Apple's mistakes. Apple made an incredible stupid move with iMovie Pro and EOLing Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Server and Xserver. They were a trusted platform at an enterprise level. But Apple broke that trust by the way they chose to handle the iMovie Pro issue. No fanboy rhetoric can change that fact.

M$, Autodesk, Adobe, Avid, nor Oracle, nor Dell, nor HP, or any other tech company have ever pulled the rug like that from a loyal and strong customer base. Sony has both Pro and consumer products division. That would have been a nice strategy to emulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Agreed. I have to say, this doesn't sound like a Jobsian decision.

"Jobsian?"... Gimme a break... As much credit as Mr Jobs rightfully deserves for his incredible marketing and showmanship skills, all he did with the original Mac OS and GUI was to copy Xerox PARC's (he later tried to sue M$ for doing the same thing he was doing). As for the iPhone, LG Prada was out a year before the iPhone and take a look at it.

I love Apple products like most people but some of you most definitely need to signup with ACFAA (Apple Certified Fanatics and Apologists Anonymous). There you guys will learn that because you love your x-branded item doesn't mean that you should bash other people's y-branded items. You will also learn to stop "idolizing" the holy creator of your x-branded item and that you have the right to "think" for yourself without fear of being cast out by the "movement".

Apple products are great products, but that's all they are, products. Designed in California but made in China. Just like Dell's.

Quote:

Hold on, now!

The words right above are words of wisdom..... Thank you Dick!
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

That's wonderful, Tim.

Now, how about iMacs with antiglare screens, and wireless aluminum keyboards with numeric keypads?

Heck. Why stop there? Bring on the XMac!
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss000kk View Post

I'm not big fan of M$ either but you guys should stop using it as scapegoat for Apple's mistakes. Apple made an incredible stupid move with iMovie Pro and EOLing Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Server and Xserver. They were a trusted platform at an enterprise level. But Apple broke that trust by the way they chose to handle the iMovie Pro issue. No fanboy rhetoric can change that fact.

M$, Autodesk, Adobe, Avid, nor Oracle, nor Dell, nor HP, or any other tech company have ever pulled the rug like that from a loyal and strong customer base. Sony has both Pro and consumer products division. That would have been a nice strategy to emulate.

"Jobsian?"... Gimme a break... As much credit as Mr Jobs rightfully deserves for his incredible marketing and showmanship skills, all he did with the original Mac OS and GUI was to copy Xerox PARC's (he later tried to sue M$ for doing the same thing he was doing). As for the iPhone, LG Prada was out a year before the iPhone and take a look at it.

I love Apple products like most people but some of you most definitely need to signup with ACFAA (Apple Certified Fanatics and Apologists Anonymous). There you guys will learn that because you love your x-branded item doesn't mean that you should bash other people's y-branded items. You will also learn to stop "idolizing" the holy creator of your x-branded item and that you have the right to "think" for yourself without fear of being cast out by the "movement".

Apple products are great products, but that's all they are, products. Designed in California but made in China. Just like Dell's.

The words right above are words of wisdom..... Thank you Dick!

So much incorrect and misinterpreted information. Not worth responding to. Thanks for the laughs though.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Heck. Why stop there? Bring on the XMac!

I'm this close to outright reporting you for this nonsense.
post #31 of 52
How can there be a limited qty of software?

Maybe you have a limited qty of boxed packages already on the shelf - but in the days of digital download - it should be possible to continue selling a product that people are still buying almost indefinitely.

You can certainly at some point say that you are no longer updating a given version - or no longer producing printed docs etc - or no longer providing phone support for a given version etc - but really what is the cost of having one more ISO on your server for people to download and pay for a license key?

It would seem to me that you could let the market decide when it is time to discontinue the old title - say 6 months of no single download of the old version - and whatever number of upgrades to the new version percentage wise compared to the old version - and THEN when you announce the withdrawal of the old version - no one cares - because the majority of your user base is already on the new version.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss000kk View Post

I'm not big fan of M$ either but you guys should stop using it as scapegoat for Apple's mistakes.

Might I suggest investing in a dictionary and looking up the word analogy. Or perhaps considering the concept of drawing parallel examples. There was not a single word in the original post that attempted to make MS a scapegoat for anything.

The point was that Apple, in some ways, has been making more big blunders like those MS has made in the past. Apple built it's reputation as the alternative choice, anti-big brother, Think Different, quality over quantity, and all of that. But sometimes they do things like FCPX or iMovie and it makes them look like just another bumbling tech giant...just another Microsoft.
post #33 of 52
I'd rather see features added to FCPX sooner. Surprised there haven't been any notable updates yet

But I suppose this is a zero cost effort on Apple's part. The inventory already exists. Unless there's a pro level annual support contract for FCS3?
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

I'd rather see features added to FCPX sooner. Surprised there haven't been any notable updates yet

I kinda feel the same way. It's good that FCS is for sale again but it was nice to see them make a radical change and Final Cut Studio should still be regarded as legacy software rather than the solution to the problem. Final Cut Pro X is a good direction to go, it just needs more work.

Integrating the APIs and requested features could take a bit of time though so at least this adds another option to simply migrating away from Final Cut for the time being because those people might not bother migrating back. An NLE isn't just for Christmas.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Final Cut Pro X is a good direction to go, it just needs more work.

How is that good?
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Final Cut Pro X is a good direction to go, it just needs more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post

How is that good?

Many FCP 7 "Pro" editors will admit that:

1) FCP wasn't really useful for the first 2-3 years.

2) The last few upgrades to FCP have been relatively minor.

This, latter, is likely due to the fact that the design of FCP goes back to the 1990s, and the code and architecture is obsolete.

At some point in time, it makes more sense to start over with the latest technology -- rather than attempt to retrofit it into an obsolete implementation.

The big mistake, IMO, was EOLing FCP 7 before FCP X had grown robust enough (adding missing features) to replace it.

It appears that FCP X is an entirely new breed of app -- that can take advantage and exploit whatever hardware you can throw at it -- be it a server network, floortop, desktop, laptop or an iPad.

FCP X isn't all there yet -- but like an old Cubbies fan would say: "Just, wait 'till next year".

post #37 of 52
Quote:

How is that good?

64 bit.

Native AVCHD editing (along with a slew of new formats)

mixed video formats on the timeline

real time rendering/preview

beefed up titler

If all you're making is web videos, it's marvelous. If you're exporting to any non-apple-approved format (DVD, Blu-Ray, tape for archival purposes) working with really complex projects, revisiting previous projects, or working in a collaborative environment, it's a total dumpster fire.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

64 bit.

Native AVCHD editing (along with a slew of new formats)

mixed video formats on the timeline

real time rendering/preview

beefed up titler

If all you're making is web videos, it's marvelous. If you're exporting to any non-apple-approved format (DVD, Blu-Ray, tape for archival purposes) working with really complex projects, revisiting previous projects, or working in a collaborative environment,

But 'more work', how is that good?

Quote:
it's a total dumpster fire.

Dumpster fires are good?
post #39 of 52
Quote:

But 'more work', how is that good?

Here, If you're really interested in seeing some of the differences between FCP 7 and FCP X, watch this video that shows some basic editing functions performed with each.

FCP7 to FCPX- How different are ripple, roll, slip and slide?

The presenter didn't say whether the FCP apps were run on the same machine -- I suspect they were.

If you pay close attention, you will notice that the FCP X interface is much smoother and more intuitive. There are less things to worry about (not having to re-sync sound, after the length of clips change).

Also, in FCP 7 the changes would require a render before they could be played back for review.

In FCP X you play back immediately with no wait for render -- basically, you edit with high speed proxy media and high-quality media is rendered in the background.

All in all, for edits like these (and many others) the FCP X process is more intuitive, more interactive and yields results in less time -- this is important if you have deadlines and/or get paid by the job.

FCP X is not there yet, but there is this almost irresistible siren's promise of the future of editing.

post #40 of 52
I'm not sure this means much other than they are selling their remaining supply of copies.

My thoughts on FCPX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pliT0itT5rc
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple acquiesces, resumes sales of $999 Final Cut Studio