or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says he's a 'very proud former board member' of Apple [u]

Google's Schmidt says he's a 'very proud former board member' of Apple [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 98
'stay' or 'stand' just semantics.

schmidt couldn't control himself, mentally, while sitting on a board who had member larry ellison of oracle suing his ass relentlessly.

how does it feel larry??
post #42 of 98
Schmidt is a small, small man. Ad spam king Google, needs to be reigned in. I don't use gmail or any of their products. I don't click on their ads.

Starve them.
post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottfras View Post

I will admit that I had some of the same prejudices against Schmidt being voiced on these comments going into the Salesforce.com keynote where this statement was made.

However, he most definitely said STAY on the board and not STAND.

He had nothing but good things to say Steve Jobs, Apple, and Apple's products.

He was not so kind to Steve Balmer and Sarah Palin.

I definitely left the keynote with a lot more respect for him than when I went in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, thanks.

Anyone what to play the telephone game. Or in this case the bad blog copy/paste game. Nice follow up to the "Another Lost iPhone Prototype" bs story that CNET started a couple days ago. Journalism at it's finest.
post #44 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Eric Schmidt said in a new interview that he stayed on the Apple Board of Directors until he "could steal something awesome"

I WILL FOREVER KNOW, that the ONLY reason HTC, Motorola, Samsung and other iPhone Copy-Cats, even have a modern Smartphone/Computer on your Cellphone product, is:

BECAUSE ERIC SCHMIDT sat on the Apple Board when, in BOARD ROOM CONFIDENCE, plans for the Original iPhone release of 2007, were discussed.

That DICK ran back to Google and told Larry Page and Sergey Brin
that Google needed to get into the Android OS development business because this Apple INVENTION (Yes, the Original iPhone Invention, created the "modern" Smartphone Industry. RIM and Palm had a different vision, and now proven, dying vision), was going to be HUGE !!!!!!

If Eric Schmidt did not sit in, on those PRIVATE board meetings, the 5 year head start Apple had, would have been more like an 8 or 9 year head start.

FACT !!!!

If the "facts" were as you stated and this scenario you painted actually happened, that would make Steve Jobs kinda dumb for insisting he be a member of the board and keeping him around, don't you think? And we all know Steve Jobs isn't a stupid man.

That makes your story more likely a bedtime story IMO.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 98
deleted
post #46 of 98
deleted
post #47 of 98
Good grief everyone, the man said 'stay' not 'stand': "I stayed on the board as long as I could until I couldn't stay anymore."

It's not just semantics - that one word change alters the entire meaning of the statement. Seen in its original, it is entirely consistent with a guy expressing his pride at having been a member of the board, and it carries with it the connotation of a little sadness, as in 'I wanted to stay longer but could not.'

I understand we must have knee jerk reactions and ruthlessly trash the 'enemy' at all costs, but perhaps a little fairness is in order, here.
post #48 of 98
deleted
post #49 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Good grief everyone, the man said 'stay' not 'stand': "I stayed on the board as long as I could until I couldn't stay anymore."

...I understand we must have knee jerk reactions and ruthlessly trash the 'enemy' at all costs, but perhaps a little fairness is in order, here.

You're wasting your breath. Most of the posters are obviously not reading the preceding comments, only reacting to a false story that AI hasn't bothered to correct.
post #50 of 98
This articles comments are entertaining. lol.
post #51 of 98
Honestly I'm not sure which is worse: allowing this article to stay up even though it is blatantly incorrect, or the incendiary title.

The title to this 'news' piece not only misrepresents what Eric Schmidt actually did say, it misrepresents what he was originally alleged to have said. Completely shoddy - just abysmal and dishonest.

-- EDIT: Nice to see that AI has corrected. Thanks AI, you've restored a little respect.
post #52 of 98
Funny how some peoples' estimate of a man boil down to "I could beat him up". I thought I'd seen that last of that in Junior High School.
post #53 of 98
deleted
post #54 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Funny how some peoples' estimate of a man boil down to "I could beat him up". I thought I'd seen that last of that in Junior High School.

Sooooooo... you don't think you can beat him up.

j/k
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #55 of 98
I hope Schmidt is proud of the excellent corporate espionage he did on behalf of Google.

I'm sure he would have wanted to stay on Apple's board longer if he hadn't been shut out of all iPad discussions.
Once he got fingered for stealing iPhone ideas, he was taken out of the loop.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #56 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I hope Schmidt is proud of the excellent corporate espionage he did on behalf of Google.

I'm sure he would have wanted to stay on Apple's board longer if he hadn't been shut out of all iPad discussions.

citation needed
post #57 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

What a smarmy, creepy, ferret-faced little man. Too much sand kicked in his face for too many years on too many beaches. Would any of you parents let THIS man babysit your children? Trust is everything. Betrayal is unforgivable. May he endure the rest of eternity in one of Satan's mouths alongside Brutus, Cassius, and Judas. (A Dantean allusion.)

Hmmm, now that the story was inaccurate and he didn't bad mouth your oh-so-heavenly Apple board members, I wonder your stance on Mr. Schmidt now. Do you still wish for him to burn in hell with Satan? I'm sure you're high horse reaches up to the heavens. Little extreme IMO....
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The story was finally updated - the headline now reads:

Google's Schmidt says he's a 'very proud former board member' of Apple [u]

How many of the posters who made rude comments based on the original misquote will now apologize?

lulz

Let's see here............none (unfortunately).
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Do you know how an NDA works? Or how companies handle having board members with potential competitors? Clearly you don't. An NDA isn't a "pinky swear," it's a document that can carry serious repercussions if broken.

If Apple's board was discussing something that could give a competitive advantage to Google, Eric had to step out. (he said when he first left, and Apple agreed, that he was stepping out of too many meetings to be of use, which isn't surprising considering the weight apple is putting on iDevices)

If he DIDN'T step out and used his position to help Google, he would violate the NDA, and these things have some pretty strict terms to them. Yet, Apple NEVER brought charges against him. If they had something they would, because it would be a HUGE boon for their war against android.
post #60 of 98
deleted
post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The story was finally updated - the headline now reads:

Google's Schmidt says he's a 'very proud former board member' of Apple [u]

How many of the posters who made rude comments based on the original misquote will now apologize?

lulz

I am not sure anyone here need apologize. That was one crappy bit of journalism. I like AI and am pretty tolerant to all sorts of typos and bias (I come here for the bias), but if anyone should apologize for that one its AI.
post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're wasting your breath. Most of the posters are obviously not reading the preceding comments, only reacting to a false story that AI hasn't bothered to correct.

Edit: Kudos for the timely correction AI
post #63 of 98
Glad to see AI corrected what is an old - and previously clearly reported - story.

This was said on the day that Steve Jobs retired, and was widely reported then (I had posted links to it then: see, e.g., http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14761387).

From everything that I've heard and read, Schmidt has nothing but the utmost praise for Jobs, and for what Apple has achieved. Sure, he might have a strong negative view on a couple of things, such as how Apple aggressively approaches IP issues, but that's par for the course.

I am surprised at the vehemence of the venom here.
post #64 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

"I was on the board until.... I'd stolen all the info I needed to help us transform Android into an iPhone copycat!..." (allegedly)

Tosser!

Eric Schmidt is a low down looser.
post #65 of 98

deleted

Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 10:10am
post #66 of 98
AppleInsider should remove the comments posted here that were made before they fixed the error. Most of the comments here are in response to something Schmidt never said.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #67 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

AppleInsider should remove the comments posted here that were made before they fixed the error. Most of the comments here are in response to something Schmidt never said.

Actually, most of the comments here are in response to people's feelings that Eric is a dick. Any excuse will do.

Personally, I'd defend him... because, as I said about Steve J., if you don't know him personally then please, shut the fuck up... I said please.

(I still feel that that particular photo is a bit creepy)
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Eric Schmidt is a low down looser.

Could you describe a looser... my mind is racing?
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #69 of 98
Quote:

However, they clearly reflect the attitude of those that posted.

I am sure many read the headline and thought: What!? A respected CEO said what!? Who wrote this? Ah Slash Lane. Let me bing this info before I am led down a path of misinformation again
post #70 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Simplify (Music) was a $2.99 app you could purchase to stream all of your music on your, over the internet, to your iPhone. Simple, intuitive, it just worked. Apparently, while Schmidt is sitting on Apple's board, he allowed Google to purchase the company running Simplify, had the company convert their business to support Android only, & turned of the service for all of the (their) Mac customers. No transition, no comment, no consideration, no sense of loyalty for paid customers, just a harsh cut-throat stab-you-in-the back "ha ha-got you!" to Apple, leaving the inherited customers as carnage on the roadside. This was an unethical decision made years ago, which apparently they stand by as consistent with their business model, as they have never said, "oops, we goofed on that one. They could have left the mac service running, continuing to update it to prove their integrity in the Google name, kept it running without updating it, calling it 'legacy', jokingly refund the $2.99 to the customers, or give them $2.99 credit at the Goggle app store for future purchases. Its evident they don't care. Their agenda is their agenda.

You are one bitter little man (or woman).

I must have missed all of the apologies that Apple has made every time it pulls the rug out from under its customers. You know, that apology to all the outraged Final Cut Pro users after the release of Final Cut X for example.
post #71 of 98
Being misquoted and actually saying how proud he was to have served on Apple's BOD and how much he just LOVES Steve Jobs, means that now there has to be rounds of profuse apologies to Mr. Schmidt and a general love fest for the man.

No.

What he did, he did. The evidence, albeit circumstantial, is clear that his involvment with Apple allowed him access to and knowledge of key design elements, which he used in turn at Google to redirect Android efforts. There is no effectively logical design path from the initial Android prototype to the resultant Android platform. Period. Schmidt used his position to serve his interest at Google.

That fact remains that the misquote was a more expected response (even if it was jarringly different than the rest of the commentary), than his profuse praise of Apple and Jobs. That AI updated and corrected the article is fine and the right thing to do, but I for one am not going to heed the calls from so many that he was wronged. A little approbation isn't going matter whether called for or not. And it far less than his actions merit in my book. He has thrown in his lot with Google and anything he does or says, has to be viewed in that light.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #72 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

There sure are a lot of sandy vaginas on AI today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This is all too funny!

Seriously.

Fanboypalooza in high gear.
post #73 of 98
First two posts called him jerk and weasel. I think that's a bit harsh, but I do agree that Google got a leg up on Android as we know it by using Schmidt's accesss to Apple, something that he didn't have when it came to the iPad.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #74 of 98
deleted
post #75 of 98
Amazing to see how aggressively people have reacted to this misquote.

The praise he had for Jobs and Apple was very humble. Trust AI members to turn it into a vile hatefest.

Really, did Schmidt do something awful like kick your puppy (or even worse) bang your mother? Why the anger?
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You are one bitter little man (or woman).

I must have missed all of the apologies that Apple has made every time it pulls the rug out from under its customers. You know, that apology to all the outraged Final Cut Pro users after the release of Final Cut X for example.

You must have missed where Apple backpedaled and started selling the old FCP again. Also, FCPX didn't make all older versions obsolete whereas Google, in the name of open, made those paid apps useless.
post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Amazing to see how aggressively people have reacted to this misquote.

The praise he had for Jobs and Apple was very humble. Trust some AI members to turn it into a vile hatefest.

Really, did Schmidt do something awful like kick your puppy (or even worse) bang your mother? Why the anger?

There... fixed that for you...

... and I'd rather have him bang my mother than kick my dog...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #78 of 98
Quote:

I am sticking to my original comment. Google has not made any significant amount of money on Android, but it sure negatively affected Apple's market share in the smartphone market, which could have been much much higher if it weren't for Android. If Eric Schmidt were really a friend, he would not have gone ahead with Android, knowing how much Apple had invested in the iPhone project.
post #79 of 98
deleted

Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 10:07am
post #80 of 98
Quote:

....this scenario you painted actually happened

It DID actually happen.
Look at EVERY SINGLE Touch User Interface SMARTPHONE that magically appeared starting in 2009, running Android.

Look at what Android actually was, Prior to Google's sudden enlightenment:
http://obamapacman.com/2011/08/andro...t-windows-1-0/

Quote:

Steve Jobs... ...insisting he be a member of the board and keeping him around

Sounds like you pulled that quote out of your ass.

Let's read a verifiable Steve Jobs quote together, shall we:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We did not enter the search business; they entered the phone business," Jobs said of Google during a company meeting in 2010. "Make no mistake, Google wants to kill the iPhone. We won't let them."

Yup, sounds like Steve Job's just LOVED having Eric snooping around, doesn't it ??
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says he's a 'very proud former board member' of Apple [u]