or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple staffer posing as police allegedly searched home for missing iPhone prototype

Apple staffer posing as police allegedly searched home for missing iPhone prototype - Page 2

post #41 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

If this is true... wow. No amount of PR would save Apple from the resulting fallout.
Apple was already caught red handed tracking people's movements and gathering the data without them knowing - so maybe they are brazen enough to impersonate police.

- those who believe the BS PR that it was a programing 'glitch', I suggest you read up on the trial briefings. It was no glitch.

quit misrepresenting what actually happened.
post #42 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's worth noting that all of this recent information seems to come from the guy who stole/appropriated the prototype, so it's not likely to be very believable. It sounds remarkably similar to the claims made by the guy that stole the other prototype which were also walked significantly back by the time it all went to court.

No, it comes from a guy that claims he never had it. He admits he was at the bar, he lets them search his home. He even lets them search his PC (you think he knows how to forensically cleanse his PC to remove any trace of the iPhone?). Anyone he was at the bar with that night could have accompanied him home and had the phone without him knowing.

It's worth noting that some of this recent info comes from a guy whose home was violated.

Quote:

If someone is going to steal an iPhone prototype, how stupid and/or unreliable is he likely to be?

probably stupid enough to have connected to his PC and too stupid to have known how to wipe all traces of it before the investigators showed up unannounced.

Quote:

It's standard procedure that Apple would hire private investigators in a case like this so that part sounds realistic to me. The investigator could have pretended to be a cop, and that would of course be wrong. It doesn't seem too likely to me though, and if he did in fact do that, he's going to be fired and Apple is likely at enough of a distance from the act to not be liable for whatever some private detective did or didn't do.

Not just wrong. It would be illegal. If they have knocked his door down and handcuffed everyone in the house at gun point, that would also be illegal. Not just wrong.

Quote:

I think it likely that the investigator merely implied they were police and that the idiot thief is just panicking and saying stuff that he believed to be true but isn't actually true. Remember that the detective/investigator is well aware of the law and where the line is in regards what he can say or do and the thief is likely not.

Possibly. But we won't know until and unless Apple explains their side. If they are going to be harassing private citizens, then had better, at they very least, be prepared to explain themselves for it.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #43 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It would not be the first time that Apple Security has accompanied police officer's in an official (unofficial?) investigation. If there was nothing Apple had to hide, there would be no reason for their Senior Investigator to pull his profile today would there?

Well, I can give you one reason...

Let's say that some dickhead wanted a little attention so he made up a story about Apple people searching his house etc. etc.... and then it was later discovered that this dickhead had accidentally discovered the LinkedIn profile of one Anthony Colon which eventually led to the lie he told to whoever.

Now... if I was Apple I'd want that LinkedIn profile to be pulled* so as to not attract any more assholes.

* ... and the profile is still there as a cached image.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #44 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Let's say that some dickhead wanted a little attention so he made up a story about Apple people searching his house etc. etc.... and then it was later discovered that this dickhead had accidentally discovered the LinkedIn profile of one Anthony Colon which eventually led to the lie he told to whoever.

Now... if I was Apple I'd want that LinkedIn profile to be pulled* so as to not attract any more assholes.

possible. but highly unlikely.

you iPhanboys are something else.
post #45 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

What? They are reporting the story. What the victim is saying, what the SFPD are saying and what Apple is not saying. When news breaks, you report it. You have to use the pat terms to make sure you are not falsely accusing anyone and to make clear that what is being reported is only what is being said You sir need a clue.

I have a clue. You do not. My clue comes from four decades of news editing experience - separating quality news sourcing and reporting from unsubstantiated rumor mongering. Because of the proliferation of substandard reporting like this, it's no accident that the current title of the Associated Press Stylebook now reads "The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual."

Sloppy reporting and smarmy disclaimers like "allegedly" and "reportedly" used in this so-called news report are not an effective legal shield if committing libel. Nor are these "pat terms" as you call them defenses for willfully and knowingly distributing false and defamatory information.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #46 of 194
If Apple has expolice officers working for them then I don't doubt that they would break the law. Active duty cops always break the law. Give a psychopath a gun and a badge and that is what you get. I don't know any honest cops, NONE!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14202082/S...-and-Criminals
post #47 of 194
Who lets a group of people search their home without even having a search warrant?

I wouldn't let anybody into my apartment to mess through all of my belongings, just because they showed up at the door.

And one of the investigators supposedly offered $300 for the return of the phone? Pathetic.
post #48 of 194
Quote:

I guess, if that dickhead also very coincidently lived on the right street and was the right age from the original story, was able to find the corporate (unlisted?) phone number for that Apple employee, I guess he would have hit the dickhead jackpot where the stars aligned to let him play a little hoax. A hoax for which, despite the intelligence such a hoax would demonstrate, the only logical outcome would be him being sued into oblivion by that Apple employee and Apple.

Very reasonable hypothesis.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #49 of 194
deleted
post #50 of 194
deleted
post #51 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I guess, if that dickhead also very coincidently lived on the right street and was the right age from the original story, was able to find the corporate (unlisted?) phone number for that Apple employee, I guess he would have hit the dickhead jackpot where the stars aligned to let him play a little hoax. A hoax for which, despite the intelligence such a hoax would demonstrate, the only logical outcome would be him being sued into oblivion by that Apple employee and Apple.

Very reasonable hypothesis.

I think this was the original story and somebody fucked it up the first time.

I don't get what you mean by living on the right street etc. I'm sure the guy giving the information knows where he lives... don't you know where you live.

Where did you read that this was Colon's "corporate" number? Could it be his home number... maybe it's listed. there are a number of ways he could get that number.

Anthony Colon was a cop... guess what... cops have enemies.

[on edit: ... and since when have nutcases ever thought about the consequences of their actions]
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #52 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

So if each of us complained about a different Apple employee they'd erase all public info for everyone who works at the company?

I think the real reason is less complicated and far less beholden to other people's whims...

Yes... they would erase info if those employees were acting illegally or if people were creating false stories about them.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #53 of 194
deleted
post #54 of 194
Quote:

Okay, let's give it a go:

Tim Cook eats kittens!

Let's see how long it is until Apple removes his page....

Get some balls... why don't you phone one of the major media outlets and report that Tim Cook came over to your house and tried to eat your kitten. Let's see how that works out for you.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #55 of 194
Quote:

Okay, let's give it a go:

Tim Cook eats kittens!

Let's see how long it is until Apple removes his page....

Jeff Williams likes to play 7 minutes in heaven with middle schoolers.

Next.
post #56 of 194
Quote:

Get some balls... why don't you phone one of the media outlets and report that Tim Cook came over to your house and tried to eat your kitten. Let's see how that works out for you.

so you honestly find it more likely that this ENTIRE story is fabricated than a corporation possibly overstepping it's boundaries?
post #57 of 194
Quote:

I think this was the original story and somebody fucked it up the first time.

I don't get what you mean by living on the right street etc. I'm sure the guy giving the information knows where he lives... don't you know where you live.

Yes. And I sure as hell wouldn't be giving it to two media outlets, along with my real name, in a story that will get a bunch of irrational fanboys all frothed up and accusing me of crimes. Dude is going to need a security detail now. If he gave the original story, sure he'd have all the info and it would match. If he wasn't cnet's original source, then he coincidently matches the info.

Quote:

Where did you read that this was Colon's "corporate" number? Could it be his home number... maybe it's listed. there are a number of ways he could get that number.

Anthony Colon was a cop... guess what... cops have enemies.

[on edit: ... and since when have nutcases ever thought about the consequences of their actions]

You ever try to find the home number and or address of a cop? Go ahead and try. I'll wait. This would go beyond a hoax. This would be a vendetta. For Sergio to have the information and skills to pull this off is a lot less believable than the story itself.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #58 of 194
deleted
post #59 of 194
Who's doing the writing over there these days, fellas?
post #60 of 194
Quote:

Yes. And I sure as hell wouldn't be giving it to two media outlets, along with my real name, in a story that will get a bunch of irrational fanboys all frothed up and accusing me of crimes. Dude is going to need a security detail now. If he gave the original story, sure he'd have all the info and it would match. If he wasn't cnet's original source, then he coincidently matches the info.

You ever try to find the home number and or address of a cop? Go ahead and try. I'll wait. This would go beyond a hoax. This would be a vendetta. For Sergio to have the information and skills to pull this off is a lot less believable than the story itself.

Obviously you have experience in these matters. Oddly enough, my cousin's a cop... I found her number in 411. I guess that blows your theory.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #61 of 194
deleted
post #62 of 194
Quote:

I was going to post something about waiting to hear what some people would be willing to say to excuse this intrusion (if it was true). I see we didn't have to wait long.

Sorry Joe, but corporate security searching a private residence is bullshit, no matter how much you try to butter it. If the employee did it as a part of his job, then he isn't a 'rogue' employee. If this is true, Apple is going to be paying through the ass for the invasion of this guys home. And yes, I use the word invasion intentionally.

If an Apple employee does something at night without telling Apple and without Apple's approval, how is that Apple's fault?

If a Walmart employee robs your home, is that Walmart's fault?

Quote:

There are a lot of holes in the story, true. What would make you feel better? if someone bought the device and put picture online as proof? I seem to recall you vilifying Giz over that repeatedly and constantly.

I villify ANYONE who makes up likes and uses them to further their own political agenda.

Like you - defending a story when even you admit that it's full of holes.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #63 of 194
Quote:

Yes indeed, the ramifications would be quite serious. You make a good argument that this guy's story is true.

It makes him a possible nutcase.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #64 of 194
Quote:

You can't get the home number of address of a cop? That's total BS.

I just checked on the two friends who I know who are cops - both of them have listed phone numbers and addresses.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #65 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can't get the home number of address of a cop? That's total BS.

I just checked on the two friends who I know who are cops - both of them have listed phone numbers and addresses.

He was hoping nobody would call him on it.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #66 of 194
I especially like the part where he says that they threatened him, harassed him and then offered him $300 for leads.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #67 of 194
Some of the commenters here would make fabulous cult members, following in lockstep and viciously attacking anyone who speaks against your leader.

How's bout you wait for the full story to come out before pulling the violent fanboy routine, unless you have no problem putting yourselves at risk of looking like spoon-fed mouth breathers.

Oh, and the author of this article has to use terms like "Allegedly" and "reportedly," because reporting on these matters as if they were absolute fact would open them up to libel and defamation of character lawsuits from Apple's crackerjack legal militia.
post #68 of 194
Oh noes. I love Apple, but this sounds bad. I don't know what to think. If it was a group of scared employees trying to get their phone back the quickest way possible, I could understand why they did it. Without condoning it of course.

But what worries me is that an Apple security employee was involved, not just the group closest to the incident, which means some thought went into the operation and potentially higher up employees may know what was attempted.

This could be very bad. You can't pretend to be the police. Even if you are a mega-corp. That thin blue line is there to protect the haves from the have-nots, and the haves won't allow that line to be compromised.
post #69 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Some of the commenters here would make fabulous cult members, following in lockstep and viciously attacking anyone who speaks against your leader.

How's bout you wait for the full story to come out before pulling the violent fanboy routine, unless you have no problem putting yourselves at risk of looking like spoon-fed mouth breathers.

Oh, and the author of this article has to use terms like "Allegedly" and "reportedly," because reporting on these matters as if they were absolute fact would open them up to libel and defamation of character lawsuits from Apple's crackerjack legal militia.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I see none of that here... we're just giving scenarios... using maybe and could have etc.

I see that it's very possible that an ex-cop could very well do as it says but I also can see a nutcase just wanting to get attention after having read about the other missing phone.

Anything is possible.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #70 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If an Apple employee does something at night without telling Apple and without Apple's approval, how is that Apple's fault?

If a Walmart employee robs your home, is that Walmart's fault?

Six employees, operating illegally on their company's behalf? Yes, actually, that would be Walmart's fault, and they would be held legally liable for the actions of those employees. Look it up, or call one of those legal help lines and ask.
post #71 of 194
Quote:

Six employees, operating illegally on their company's behalf? Yes, actually, that would be Walmart's fault, and they would be held legally liable for the actions of those employees. Look it up, or call one of those legal help lines and ask.

True enough... if he's on your payroll then you got troubles, Lucy...

[if this story isn't bullshit then Steve and Tim will be bouncing off the walls... Colon was just hired this summer... maybe to find the phone]
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #72 of 194
Quote:

What the fuck are you talking about?

I see none of that here... we're just giving scenarios... using maybe and could have etc.

I see that it's very possible that an ex-cop could very well do as it says but I also can see a nutcase just wanting to get attention after having read about the other missing phone.

Anything is possible.

One ex-cop, sure, but what about the other 5 employees? And no, not all of you are "just giving scenarios." Some of you are being disgustingly vitriolic towards posters who believe their is legitimacy to this story. Not you specifically, but there's a couple in here.
post #73 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

possible. but highly unlikely.

you iPhanboys are something else.

Sure, because it's entirely plausible and even likely that one of the biggest corporations on earth behaves like a Tijuana loan shark and sends its security apparatus forth with instructions to claim to be the police so as to get access to people's homes. Because they know that there's no way that could ever come back to bite them in the ass. Let me guess, because of the "arrogance"?

But, you know, "fanboys", so case closed.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #74 of 194
Quote:

One ex-cop, sure, but what about the other 5 employees? And no, not all of you are "just giving scenarios." Some of you are being disgustingly vitriolic towards posters who believe their is legitimacy to this story. Not you specifically, but there's a couple in here.

I'm not sure if they are Colon's employees or Apple's employees... Colon could be contracted... but as mentioned... his problems would also be Apple's problems if this actually happened.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #75 of 194
Quote:

As long as we're being very careful in our fact-finding, did you come across some clear evidence that this man actually stole the phone, or did you mean to include "allegedly"? ...

The phone was traced by GPS to his residence.

There is the possibility of a mistake of course, so yeah, to be *polite* I should have said allegedly, but it's pretty clear that he is the guy. If it was any normal person and they had nothing to do with it, they would have either not cared at all, or been extremely outraged. This guy instead kept a completely low profile and said nothing for more than a month. Then when the story breaks, he comes back with "They impersonated police officers!"

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but you'd have to be an idiot not to see that this is the guy that took the prototype. The odds of him not being the thief are very very small indeed. As is usual, it's down to the matter of proving it in court, which may be very difficult.
post #76 of 194
Quote:

The phone was traced by GPS to his residence.

There is the possibility of a mistake of course, so yeah, to be *polite* I should have said allegedly, but it's pretty clear that he is the guy. If it was any normal person and they had nothing to do with it, they would have either not cared at all, or been extremely outraged. This guy instead kept a completely low profile and said nothing for more than a month. Then when the story breaks, he comes back with "They impersonated police officers!"

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but you'd have to be an idiot not to see that this is the guy that took the prototype. The odds of him not being the thief are very very small indeed. As is usual, it's down to the matter of proving it in court, which may be very difficult.

I'm waiting to see if he even goes to the police to complain... if he doesn't then it's a non-story or Apple will go after him for the hoax.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #77 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

I'm sure it would be suuuuuper intimidating if you're a person who's never had a run in with the law in any way before and had a gang of guys, not just one guy, show up at your door, but you've got to try to keep your wits about you and stick by your guns in these situations. If there's no warrant, then do NOT allow any entry into my home, or the searching of anything. And if they don't place you under arrest, don't answer ANY questions.

I wouldn't answer the door. The odds of it being a door-to-door sales person, religious whack job, or randomly strange and time wasting encounter is too high--especially in San Francisco. Like answering the phone if you don't have forewarning, I don't pick it up. With all the ways we are connected, giving a heads up that you are calling or dropping by is just common courtesy.

All this REALLY, REALLY STINKS. This is not how Apple operates. If they really were going to break the law, they would have waited until the guy split, did a B&E, ransack the place, and recover the phone. For god sakes doesn't anyone watch TV? They wouldn't just show up and announce that they were from Apple. Who is that stupid if you are knowingly breaking the law to announce who they are and that they were looking for an iPhone prototype?!? Again totally fishy.

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

post #78 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

This is a perfect example of why you should never let anyone into your home without calling the police station, with the number in the phonebook, to verify the badge number and location of an officer reputing to have the authority to enter your home.

You expect the police to calmly and patiently wait at your door while you call to check on them? The police are beating people up just for taking a picture of them. You think they are going to let you make a call?
post #79 of 194
Quote:

Only one of the employees was allegedly an Apple employee - and that hasn't been verified.

And you're just plain wrong. If a Walmart employee breaks into your house at night and robs you, there's no way in the world that Walmart would be liable.

But feel free to show a statute that says an employer is liable for its employees actions in their off work hours. [This should be humorous]
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #80 of 194
deleted
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple staffer posing as police allegedly searched home for missing iPhone prototype
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple staffer posing as police allegedly searched home for missing iPhone prototype