or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

A lot of problems with this sentence, especially bad since it it the lead.


2- Why is "next generation iPhone" a "preparation for iOS 5"?? The two are tangentially related. Foxconn and Pegatron assemble phones - they have nothing to do with the iOS. You are insinuating that the new iPhone will be required to run iOS 5, which is not true.

I will grant you that you do actually explain this point later, but it is still confusing as written.

BTW - overall - a good article - thanks.
post #42 of 75
Honestly, the screen on a phone is too small, even on the larger screen of the Samsung Note, for serious content creation.

Further, if people are relying on a phone to think themselves out of austerity we are all in trouble. Assuming you are American, the US is in this mess because of greedy and short sighted policy making that favors corporate interests over those of the Country at large. Large international corporations have little care for how we americans are faring.

Finally, the Samsung Galaxy Note is not an innovative product. It is copying from Microsoft's stylus based note taking phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Although an Apple user myself, I am surprised that Apple fan bois, as in those will be buy Apple simply because it is Apple, tend to stick their heads in the sand.

This week, Samsung launched what is without any doubt the most useful and imaginative mobile phone ever, the Galaxy Note. Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

If iPhone 5 is simply a tool to bleed users of cash in return for apps or NFC purchased lattés, then it may not sell as well as less expensive yet more versatile Android offerings.

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.

Apple, are you listening?

END
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Iphone 4 button is wrongly designed.
I have changed 4 iPhones since it stops working. Yes. I use multitasking.

To make such a statement you should be able to detail exactly how it's wrongly designed. And why have eliminated poor implementation or bad materials, or unusual usage patterns from the equation?

Quote:
A5 is not to hot for the iPhone even if its processed in 40nm. Other ARM manufactures have dual core ARMS 1.2-1.5ghz at the same power envelope that Apple uses.

Is it the same power envelope? I haven't read any detailed reviews confirming this. Why would Apple need to go to 1.5GHz? Just because some other vendor has to keep their device feeling as quick as the the iPhone? I don't think so. As usual we can expect Apple to balance performance with longevity, not simply focus on one aspect to try to win in some silly spec sheet contest.

Quote:
iCloud is a great gimmick.
To bad that Apple is selling its phones outside USA. When will iCloud be rolled out outside USA and Canada?

Gimmick? Explain.

Quote:
It is also ironic that USA have one of the most expensive data planes for phones. I pay 5 dollars for 5 gig. When the cap is hit, it throttles down to 384kbit per second. Enough for stream music.

Your country offering cheaper data means ≠ USA has the most expensive data plans.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 75
Back to the original topic.

All these reports are worthless. No way of predicting Apples launch date. However it does appear that IOS 5 is not complete yet and this may be holding up the launch. IPHONE 5 is not going to launch before the developers can design APPS for IOS5 and so far that has not happened.
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukei View Post

It is quite a common problem with the iPhone 4 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0)

Mine is intermittent and I put off getting it sorted, now out of warranty. It goes through phases of working fine for days then it'll be a right pain for a few hours. Not sure it is hardware or software, various opinions on that.

Mine was doing that as well and I took it to the bar on a lark. As weird as it sounds, they said it was dirty underneath. I live work in the desert a lot and between that and oil off my fingers and dust from day to day life in a year I got gunk under it. They were able to clean it out and it's fine.

I have heard of other folks that have had software issues as well. Some of them were jailbroken some not. So you could try doing a restore and a fresh rebuild and see if that fixes it. if it doesn't you can always restore the backup you'll of course do right before the restore to get it back to where it was.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Iphone 4 button is wrongly designed.

Draw how it would be 'rightly' designed, then.

Quote:
I have changed 4 iPhones since it stops working. Yes. I use multitasking.

Having what to do with anything? Why does multitasking factor into you sending three perfectly good phones back?

Quote:
iCloud is a great gimmick.

3DTV is a gimmick. iCloud is use. Of course, you've never used it, so you obviously can comment on it.

Quote:
AT&T have problem with bandwidth today, how will it be with millions of iCloud devices?

Who cares? Go to Verizon, then. And when Verizon goes down, the telecoms will either go bankrupt or build networks that people actually want.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Back to the original topic.

All these reports are worthless. No way of predicting Apples launch date. However it does appear that IOS 5 is not complete yet and this may be holding up the launch. IPHONE 5 is not going to launch before the developers can design APPS for IOS5 and so far that has not happened.

Yeah, I think sometime between this week and the next I will be getting an iPhone 4 for my wife as her job requires it. When the iPhone 5 comes out, I will sell my iPhone 4 and get an unsubsidized iPhone 5.

Call me a fanboi, but it's my money and I can do what I want with it (so suck it, i-am-entitled-to-the-best-and-innovative-Apple-product-bois-or-the-competition-is-still-better-how-dare-you-Apple-not-give-me-what-i-want-pouts-and-sits-in-corner-torn-rubber). If my post is not making any sense, that would be the glass of wine I just drank talking. Cheers!

EDIT: Or maybe I won't have to:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...e.5.discounts/
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I'm not, the Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" display, and having used a 5" Dell Streak, that screen size is almost the ideal. Perfect for reading eBooks, fits in the pocket, allows you to share content in the same way the iPad makes possible, easier to type on on screen keyboard in portrait orientation. Etc.

Apple are not innovating quickly enough - we have to wait many years for each iteration and this will hit them i 2012 unless they listen to the other 90% of the market. Stylus devices have not failed - the Sony Ericsson P9XX series phones were superb, and only killed off because SE lost the ball for a while. (And were saved by Android.)
Prior to that, the Palm and Handspring devices were superb and very popular. iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.



Apple needs to go in the opposite direction, with cheaper phones. The expensive almost tablet sized screen with a stylus appeals to you, and the other guy, and a fellow in Japan, but it is not much of a market.

Quote:
. iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

Thats more a less a statement without proof. Let me give you a counter proof. I dont have any music on my iPhone. It is all apps.

But your point about less well off students is true, Apple has a market there if it goes cheaper.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Back to the original topic.

All these reports are worthless. No way of predicting Apples launch date. However it does appear that IOS 5 is not complete yet and this may be holding up the launch. IPHONE 5 is not going to launch before the developers can design APPS for IOS5 and so far that has not happened.

Or they wont let the software hamper a hardware release and release the IP5 with 4.3.5, or some such.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Although an Apple user myself, I am surprised that Apple fan bois, as in those will be buy Apple simply because it is Apple, tend to stick their heads in the sand.

This week, Samsung launched what is without any doubt the most useful and imaginative mobile phone ever, the Galaxy Note. Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

If iPhone 5 is simply a tool to bleed users of cash in return for apps or NFC purchased lattés, then it may not sell as well as less expensive yet more versatile Android offerings.

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.

Apple, are you listening?

END

Here's what I heard you say: "why aren't you apple fanboys like me and think an iPhone is supposed to replace a notepad and a pen to be really useful? Samsung launched the greatest thing since sliced bread: a stylus operated slice of bread. Android is so versatile, it can even be locked into Bing search and still be called Android. Times are hard and homeless people can now think and create their way off the streets by writing "need money for booze" on their Samsung galaxy note. Only a stylus operated device offers this. Apple, are you listening to my opinion?"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Here's what I heard you say: "why aren't you apple fanboys like me and think an iPhone is supposed to replace a notepad and a pen to be really useful? Samsung launched the greatest thing since sliced bread: a stylus operated slice of bread. Android is so versatile, it can even be locked into Bing search and still be called Android. Times are hard and homeless people can now think and create their way off the streets by writing "need money for booze" on their Samsung galaxy note. Only a stylus operated device offers this. Apple, are you listening to my opinion?"

That was a smarter correction of his thought processes.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I'm not, the Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" display, and having used a 5" Dell Streak, that screen size is almost the ideal. Perfect for reading eBooks, fits in the pocket, allows you to share content in the same way the iPad makes possible, easier to type on on screen keyboard in portrait orientation. Etc.

I find your enthusiasm for this device mystifying. It's the very definition of the unwieldy tweener-- one that manages to be too big for reasonable phone duties but much too small for tablet functionality. My guess is the only reason it exists at all is that Samsung seems hell bent on making every possible size of Galaxy, following in the doomed footsteps of Sony in the assumption that relentless iteration and a vast array of "choices" somehow equals innovation.

Quote:
Apple are not innovating quickly enough - we have to wait many years for each iteration and this will hit them i 2012 unless they listen to the other 90% of the market. Stylus devices have not failed - the Sony Ericsson P9XX series phones were superb, and only killed off because SE lost the ball for a while. (And were saved by Android.)

This is more than mystifying, it seems the product of an alternate universe. "The other 90% of the market"? What? Stylus devices have not failed? Because you also had an inexplicable affection for one of the very poorly selling Sony Ericsson handsets?

Quote:
Prior to that, the Palm and Handspring devices were superb and very popular.

And were entirely eclipsed by the iPhone (and follow ons slavishly following the iPhone template). As in styli were soundly refuted, despite some people at the time claiming that touch only interfaces were limited.

Quote:
iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.
(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

Enthusiasm is one thing, gibberish is another. I have no problem if you personally think a 5.3" handset with a stylus is the next big thing, but doing this much violence to recent history to support your idea is foolish.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Here's what I heard you say: "why aren't you apple fanboys like me and think an iPhone is supposed to replace a notepad and a pen to be really useful? Samsung launched the greatest thing since sliced bread: a stylus operated slice of bread. Android is so versatile, it can even be locked into Bing search and still be called Android. Times are hard and homeless people can now think and create their way off the streets by writing "need money for booze" on their Samsung galaxy note. Only a stylus operated device offers this. Apple, are you listening to my opinion?"

Man, that's EXACTLY what I heard, except I'm actually out on a street corner with my iPad held up: "Need money for booze" -- but the dang spell check wrote it: "Need Monty for Biz." Not sure who Monty is....
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

Seems to me that you don't actually use your iOS stuff for anything more than a fancy iPod or you would know how erroneous your comment is. First because there's a lot of creation you can do even on an iPhone and you can use a stylus if you want. You just aren't forced to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I think we can safely predict this will be a *hit*. How could manufacturing not have started already?

This is a rumor which means that perhaps it is right, perhaps it is wrong. Perhaps the device their source saw was in fact an iPod touch.

that said, Apple doesn't usually stockpile phones for weeks and weeks cause of the security issues. Yes this can result in running out but it is the safer way to go and it's not like folks won't wait (although they really sure go back to the reservation system they had for previous stuff that they dropped for the iPad 2 launch, make it clear in the press that there's no walk-ins for the foreseeable future etc)

They could be finalizing iOS 5 as we speak and the devices will be loaded starting Monday AM in China (they don't have a holiday after all). Tuesday or Wednesday there will be a press release about an event next week and Tim and Steve will show off the new phone and announce that reservations will start at 12.01AM that 'night' for a launch the next tuesday. its Apple so they don't have to stick to the whole Thursday/Friday/Saturday for all first day stuff if they don't want to.

What Best Buy is leaking out is the release of the phones in late October cause there's a new fixture coming could be the release of the new iPods, which would be timed to kick off Apple's "holiday" season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

But my original point was that the new Samsung Galaxy Note was/is probably the ultimate phone and Apple need to answer back.

No Apple doesn't need to do anything cause in your opinion they should. In fact, Apple has done quite well with not 'answering back' what others do and following their own path.

You said 'in six months', well lets see what has happened in six months. We'll see if your precious Samsung stuff is flying off the shelves or if its the iPhone 5 that is busting records. By then we could have another iPad to kill your Tabs and what not, lets see how that shakes out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Finally, the Samsung Galaxy Note is not an innovative product. It is copying from Microsoft's stylus based note taking phones.

So Apple's not the only victim. Why am I not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

iCloud is a great gimmick.
To bad that Apple is selling its phones outside USA. When will iCloud be rolled out outside USA and Canada?

Don't confuse iCloud with the whole iTunes thing. One is restricted by licensing with the record labels and studios the other is not.

Quote:
AT&T have problem with bandwidth today, how will it be with millions of iCloud devices?

Probably won't be that big a deal given that the phones and iPads all have wifi as well and the software wants to use wifi first when it can. That works for a lot of folks. Hell easily half the iPads don't even have 3g of any kind.

And remember that a decent quarter of those iCloud devices are on Verizon. Probably another 1/10th of the total are iPod touches which are also wifi only

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncore View Post

Cmon, you cant be serious with this one. I do like apple but the antenna system in iPhone 4 is Apple's EPIC FAIL!

Sucks for you that you get shitty reception but the numbers don't add up to EPIC FAIL on the antenna. Because an EF means that a majority to every single devices has the same issue and that wasn't the case with the iPhone 4. The death grip was basically non existent outside of the US and even the barely existent US folks were almost all in areas where ATT sucks no matter what. Even the Consumer Reports review mentioned that the alleged 'death grip' really wasn't an issue unless your ATT in general blows (but the blogs loved to drop that part when they did quotes from the article)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Here's what I heard you say: "why aren't you apple fanboys like me and think an iPhone is supposed to replace a notepad and a pen to be really useful?

He's right. if it can't replace a notepad and a pen then it is junk.

good thing that the iPhone/ipad can be used with a stylus, both come with a built in digital notepad. Plus you can get free apps like Bump to trade your digital 'business card' with other iOS users or just type in the deets for the other folks (including a handy photo so you can remember who S Newton is out of the 100 folks you met at the Widget Conference).

and so on.

So by his standards, the iphone/ipad are not junk

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I have heard of other folks that have had software issues as well. Some of them were jailbroken some not. So you could try doing a restore and a fresh rebuild and see if that fixes it. if it doesn't you can always restore the backup you'll of course do right before the restore to get it back to where it was.

My dev phone seems okay with the latest version of iOS5 but sod's law it'll start playing up now I've said that Never had a problem on my iPad 2. I don't use multitasking very much on any device. Can't say whether iOS5 is ready yet because I suspect there may be some features not being enabled, which given the sieve like leakiness of the developer programme is likely.

Back to the iPhone5. I'm in two minds about the screen size. If they can make it bigger without changing the device size my more than a few mm I'm sold mainly for watching videos on the bigger screen. Perhaps they'll do this by using a gesture rather than the button which would be neat and enable a bigger screen too. That said I'm a sucker for Apple so no doubt it won't take me long to decide to order one. Probably at least 10 minutes into the Keynote

Reality is no-one outside Apple knows but I love the build up to an Apple launch, it's speculation central
post #56 of 75
charlituna- I am from Slovakia, no the US. Antena is not just my local issue. My friend from Luxembourg has the same shi..y reception when she is at home. All she can say is that since she has bought iPhone 4 (3GS was her previous phone with excelent reception) her home is so quiet... nobody can reach her... there is no signal.
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

No.

This year's handset will be called the iPhone 5. Why? Because Steve Jobs likes simplicity.

Apple will announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

Explain the 3GS then?

Also, Apple, unlike their competitors don't need to rush out new hardware as their iPhone has a much longer shelf life. They use iOS to push new features on existing hardware rather than releasing a new phone every quarter.
post #58 of 75
My wish list:

1) Larger display (4" same resolution). I could see them coming out with 2 sizes.
2) A5
3) More RAM
4) Longer battery life
5) Better home button (integrated swipe)
6) Universal (with no lock-in, just carrier contracts)
7) Infrared port (this is a *wish* list)
8) RFID

I don't care about LTE (yet).
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Explain the 3GS then?

Also, Apple, unlike their competitors don't need to rush out new hardware as their iPhone has a much longer shelf life. They use iOS to push new features on existing hardware rather than releasing a new phone every quarter.

The 3GS was simple in it's own right. It was a '3G' device, it was speedier than the previous model simply named iPhone 3G and it was the 3rd generation iPhone.

The iPhone 3G made sense since '3G' was a marketing point despite it only being Apple 2nd ge ration iPhone.

The question is what wil Apple do to make the best name for their 5th generation iPhone? Assuming they use the same general design and it has no LTE or HSPA+, aka '4G', then think iPhone 4S sounds reasonable with iPhone 4G arriving next year if they keep the Sam general design again. That sounds simplest to me but that depends on what they have in the pipeline so any guesses have to be weighted with assumptions about future tech.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 75
so any of the developers have a problem with all these different screen sizes and resolutions?
does that mean iTouch5- Iphone 5 same size, then what with ipad2 and iphone4 (new or old one)

will there be a fragmentation issues with games, apps etc.???

will we have to pull an android, some apps work some don't

or will the ios make up the dif
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I'm not, the Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" display, and having used a 5" Dell Streak, that screen size is almost the ideal. Perfect for reading eBooks, fits in the pocket, allows you to share content in the same way the iPad makes possible, easier to type on on screen keyboard in portrait orientation. Etc.

5.3" display? Because I want a phone that I have to put in my bag because it won't fit in my blazer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

Can't really wrong you on that. Except it's usually young students (below 16) that do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

A5 is not to hot for the iPhone even if its processed in 40nm. Other ARM manufactures have dual core ARMS 1.2-1.5ghz at the same power envelope that Apple uses.

A5 will work in the iPhone 5, it doesn't have to be identical to the current one. The iPad 2 A5 is 45nm, the iPhone one could easily be 40nm.

Quote:
iCloud is a great gimmick.
To bad that Apple is selling its phones outside USA. When will iCloud be rolled out outside USA and Canada?

iCloud (excluding iTuned Match) works fine in the UK and throughout the rest of Europe.



My personal wish list for the iPhone 5 is:
  • 3.7" screen (only slightly bigger then the current one)
  • 1-1.2ghz dual-core Apple A5 (40nm)
  • 1GB RAM
  • PowerVR SGX543
  • 8MP back camera
  • GSM/CDMA
  • 2MP front camera
  • Slimmer form factor
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

so any of the developers have a problem with all these different screen sizes and resolutions?
does that mean iTouch5- Iphone 5 same size, then what with ipad2 and iphone4 (new or old one)

will there be a fragmentation issues with games, apps etc.???

will we have to pull an android, some apps work some don't

or will the ios make up the dif


Nope, all will be good as long as they don't introduce a new resolution (at least not right away).

The iPhone 4 with it's retina display is twice the resolution of the previous iPhones. This means that the apps written prior to the iPhone 4 will just work with the iPhone 4, but the graphics won't look as sharp...they still look really good though. To upgrade an app to take advantage of the iPhone 4, all developers need to do is great 2x images. In some cases, this is really very easy. Where it was more difficult was when images needed to be rendering in the app itself as opposed to just displaying image resource files. This is why some apps (games for example) took a while to be upgraded to "HD", but the old apps still ran just fine.

If Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone, as long as the keep the resolution the same, developers would need to do nothing.
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Nope, all will be good as long as they don't introduce a new resolution (at least not right away).

The iPhone 4 with it's retina display is twice the resolution of the previous iPhones. This means that the apps written prior to the iPhone 4 will just work with the iPhone 4, but the graphics won't look as sharp...they still look really good though. To upgrade an app to take advantage of the iPhone 4, all developers need to do is great 2x images. In some cases, this is really very easy. Where it was more difficult was when images needed to be rendering in the app itself as opposed to just displaying image resource files. This is why some apps (games for example) took a while to be upgraded to "HD", but the old apps still ran just fine.

If Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone, as long as the keep the resolution the same, developers would need to do nothing.

wow, thanks for the insight

also, all this talk of two NEW iphones coming out,

what about this
keep old iphone 4 turn on the gsm with cdma (its capable)
iphone 5
iPhone 4C for china/ india only-- they have enough subscribers to make a "unique to market" phone
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

If Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone, as long as the keep the resolution the same, developers would need to do nothing.

Would need to do nothing, but the items will be larger because the pixels will be larger. Therefor Apple will optimize the larger display and release an updated SDK that will optimize for the larger display.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncore View Post

charlituna- I am from Slovakia, no the US. Antena is not just my local issue.

Really? I visit and travel around Slovakia quite regularly and I have no reception issues there whatsoever, reception is much better than in London England. I was most impressed to have reception in the High Tatra mountains but also within Bratislava. I've not had problems with any of the three networks whilst roaming.

I find it hard to believe you have problems with reception, maybe you have a faulty phone.
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncore View Post

charlituna- I am from Slovakia, no the US. Antena is not just my local issue. My friend from Luxembourg has the same shi..y reception when she is at home. All she can say is that since she has bought iPhone 4 (3GS was her previous phone with excelent reception) her home is so quiet... nobody can reach her... there is no signal.

I call BS on that, the supposed antenna problem is called 'death grip' for a reason: you have to grip the phone to do anything to the signal. Does your friend run around the house holding her phone all the time or what? Even if you are 100% convinced the death grip is real, every test, including those that concluded the death grip exists, have also shown that the iPhone 4 antenna performs better at low signal strength and holds calls longer than the 3GS, unless you grip it.

Also, if the closest person you know that has reception issues with her iPhone 4 is in Luxembourg, the problem isn't exactly widespread right? That's 1300 km from Slovakia
post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Nope, all will be good as long as they don't introduce a new resolution (at least not right away).

The iPhone 4 with it's retina display is twice the resolution of the previous iPhones. This means that the apps written prior to the iPhone 4 will just work with the iPhone 4, but the graphics won't look as sharp...they still look really good though. To upgrade an app to take advantage of the iPhone 4, all developers need to do is great 2x images. In some cases, this is really very easy. Where it was more difficult was when images needed to be rendering in the app itself as opposed to just displaying image resource files. This is why some apps (games for example) took a while to be upgraded to "HD", but the old apps still ran just fine.

If Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone, as long as the keep the resolution the same, developers would need to do nothing.

There is a difference between resolution and pixel count. The iPhone 4 has twice the resolution AND twice the pixel dimensions (4x total count) ONLY because the screen is the same size. If you make the screen larger then you need to either decrease the resolution in order to keep the pixel count the same (and loose a little clarity) or increase the pixel count but loose easy scalability.

Built in software can handle the scalability automagically, but some clarity would be lost.

These are all the trade offs that need to be weighed in changing the screen size. If they increase screen size but keep the pixel count the same, they will have trouble calling it a Retina display!


With a new pixel dimension:
I don't think CGIs would be affected if they query the system for resolution prior to rendering, nor would any vector graphics. Bit mapped graphics would have to be re-rendered by the system (costing time and battery power) or redone by the app developers.

Please correct me if my analysis has missed something.
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post


These are all the trade offs that need to be weighed in changing the screen size. If they increase screen size but keep the pixel count the same, they will have trouble calling it a Retina display!
.

It's a marketing term. They can call it a retina display. Its not a technical term.

What they probably will do is say nothing about the pixel density, and just make the screen bigger.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. My day one bought 3GS sells on eBay this evening.

i, too, have a 3GS that i purchased in june 2009. presumably, iOS 5 runs fine on the 3GS so my next iPhone upgrade will be whatever comes after the reported iPhone 5 due for launch soon.
post #70 of 75
Lets see:

Siri voice integration
Sensible notifications
iCloud integration
Improved camera sensor
Better processor
Larger capacity
Larger display
Thinner form factor

If you collate all the rumours this update sounds almost too comprehensive for an Apple update. A response to the Android marketshare perhaps? Of those points I can most likely see them opting out of larger capacity - though I would like to see a 128GB model so it can truly become the one device to rule them all.
post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Lets see:

Siri voice integration
Sensible notifications
iCloud integration

These are iOS5 features not specific to a new model (perhaps the first one may be limited to new models?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Improved camera sensor
Better processor
Larger capacity
Larger display
Thinner form factor

Surprised improved battery life isn't on your list? It's top of mine!

Ref memory how many people really need more than 64 never mind 128? I have a 32 and never fill it up because of the way I manage playlists, podcasts etc. Extra memory just adds a lot to the cost and I'd prefer focus elsewhere. Just my personal preference.
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Lets see:

Siri voice integration
Sensible notifications
iCloud integration
Improved camera sensor
Better processor
Larger capacity
Larger display
Thinner form factor

If you collate all the rumours this update sounds almost too comprehensive for an Apple update. A response to the Android marketshare perhaps? Of those points I can most likely see them opting out of larger capacity - though I would like to see a 128GB model so it can truly become the one device to rule them all.

Except for the Siri voice integration (which I didn't even know about) and the iCloud integration (which is a whole new way of using cloud services incomparable to Google, Amazon or Microsoft), which of the stuff you listed actually surprises you? All iPhones to date have had improvements to all of these, the notification system is simply a long overdue iOS improvement like we've seen dozens of in each iOS release. If Apple was really feeling the Android heat they wouldn't wait a full 15 months before updating the iPhone.
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Really? I visit and travel around Slovakia quite regularly and I have no reception issues there whatsoever, reception is much better than in London England. I was most impressed to have reception in the High Tatra mountains but also within Bratislava. I've not had problems with any of the three networks whilst roaming.

I find it hard to believe you have problems with reception, maybe you have a faulty phone.

I agree. I roam a lot with my iPhone4 - Asia, Europe, Middle East, US.

Only places that stand out as problems for reception are US and India. Tends to indicate its service provider related not phone. Although compared to my BlackBerry 9700 the iPhone4 has a poorer signal. My experience only, other experiences may occur
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncore View Post

Cmon, you cant be serious with this one. I do like apple but the antenna system in iPhone 4 is Apple's EPIC FAIL! I can replicate antenna problem whenever I want. In addition, I do not have signal in my house while my old iPhone 3G gets 3 bars. Stop bulls....g about the great antenna, because it is not. That is a fact which even Steve Jobs proved by providing free bumpers.

OK, we heard you, now you can crawl back under your rock.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.
...
END

A stylus operated device is going to change a person's economic situation? That is probably the most unique statement I've read on AI in quite awhile.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch