or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

post #1 of 213
Thread Starter 
A new injunction from a German court has prompted Samsung to cease promoting its newly-unveiled Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet at the IFA consumer electronics show, providing another victory for Apple in its fierce legal battle against the company.

The South Korean electronics giant took the wraps off the Android-based 7.7-inch tablet at the trade show in Berlin on Friday, but all of the promotional materials for the device were quickly pulled after a Düsseldorf court filed a second injunction against the company.

Though it was initially unclear whether Samsung had pulled the tablet of its own accord or in response to a new injunction, a spokesman for the company eventually confirmed the court-ordered ban, as reported by Bloomberg.

Samsung respects the courts decision, Chung said in a statement, noting that the electronics giant believes the ruling severely limits consumer choice in Germany.

This is my next reports that Samsung has made use of sheets to cover up Galaxy Tab 7.7 posters in its booth on the IFA show floor. The publication also posted before and after pictures (below) of the booth. Samsung has turned its focus to promoting its Galaxy Note and Bada-based Wave 3 smartphones.



Patent expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents notes that Samsung has said it does not plan to sell the Galaxy Tab 7.7 in the U.S, speculating that the reason is "most likely also attributable to Apple's legal pressure."

The regional court of Düsseldorf banned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 throughout the European Union last month, though it later modified the injunction to apply to just Germany over concerns that it lacked the authority to impose an EU-wide ban. The court is due to issue a post-hearing decision on the tablet injunction on Sept. 9, 2011.




Meanwhile, a Netherlands judge blocked sales of Samsung's Galaxy smartphones in Europe in late August. Samsung has also held off on releasing the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia after Apple won initial court victories against it. The company delay the device's launch until at least Sept. 30 while awaiting a formal hearing later this month.

Apple and Samsung are locked in a quickly escalating legal disagreement. The iPad maker alleges that Samsung has repeatedly and blatantly copied its smartphone and tablet designs. Apple has also accused the South Korean company of subverting the standardization process to obtain "ill-gotten monopoly power" with its patents.

For its part, Samsung claims it is simply competing in the marketplace. The company is also asserting its own counter-claims against Apple in a U.S. court.

post #2 of 213
Oh boy... here we go again...

Get at er...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #3 of 213
Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war
post #4 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new injunction from a German court has prompted Samsung to cease promoting its newly-unveiled Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet at the IFA consumer electronics show, providing another victory for Apple in its fierce legal battle against the company.


Other than a VERY few total geekazoids, nobody is going to know the substance of any of this lawsuit biz. All that they will know is that Apple and its lawyers are preventing them from having any choices in the market.

Very sad. Usually Apple is good at PR.
post #5 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war

That's original...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #6 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war

Please elaborate.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #7 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

All that they will know is that Apple and its lawyers are preventing them from having any choices in the market.

Hmmm... Option A: Apple poduct, or Option B: Samsung clone of Apple product. ... Yeah, LOTS of choices there.
post #8 of 213
that's too bad...
Competition is needed, even if the products are looking almost the same.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #9 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoslick View Post

Hmmm... Option A: Apple poduct, or Option B: Samsung clone of Apple product. ... Yeah, LOTS of choices there.

Yap, a landscape use 7" tablet with a totally different os than iOS is a clone.
post #10 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war

Yeah, Apple is Doomed. (30 million iPads later)
post #11 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Please elaborate.

He means that Apple may win some individual patents, forcing Samsung (and other OEMs) to change aspects of their hardware or Android builds, but Apple will lose the most important patents and Android will be legally allowed to be a direct copy of iOS, looking absolutely identical to it down to the content of its icons.

And I believe that the world is stupid enough to allow that to happen, so I'm with him.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #12 of 213
I was watching the Samsung GT ad on the tube the other day... pvr'ed it... played it a few times. I didn't hear the word Android in the commercial. Ever.

Just stuff like... better... more... flash...

Samsung is truly trying to deceive people, imo, that the GT is the same as the iPad... but better.

I know plenty of people that would just assume that they can get the apps for the iPad on the GT because the only difference is that it is "better".
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #13 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

that's too bad...
Competition is needed, even if the products are looking almost the same.

All I want, in terms of "competition", is for some company, other than Apple, to take the tablet idea and turn it on it's head again. Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it.

Jeez you want competition? That would be it right there.

Copy-tition is not competition. Sammy and the rest deserve to be flushed down the toilet unless they come up with their own way of presenting it. Fuck them.
post #14 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I know plenty of people that would just assume that they can get the apps for the iPad on the GT because the only difference is that it is "better".

Heck, I've SEEN people.

Them: I can't get these apps on my tablet.

Me: Those are iOS apps. Like for an iPad or iPhone. You have an Android tablet.

Them: But they're apps. The ad in the paper said this tablet can run apps, so I bought these from the App Store… What a RIPOFF! I want my money back for these apps!

Me:

Android tablet manufacturers:

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #15 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I was watching the Samsung GT ad on the tube the other day... pvr'ed it... played it a few times. I didn't hear the word Android in the commercial. Ever.

Just stuff like... better... more... flash...

Samsung is truly trying to deceive people, imo, that the GT is the same as the iPad... but better.

I know plenty of people that would just assume that they can get the apps for the iPad on the GT because the only difference is that it is "better".

Is this the ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfCZC4VHnE If so, they did put the Android mascot/symbol at the end of the ad. But I'd think stating access to Android Market for apps would also be a selling point…or has Android Market still not accumulated many tablet-based apps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He means that Apple may win some individual patents, forcing Samsung (and other OEMs) to change aspects of their hardware or Android builds, but Apple will lose the most important patents and Android will be legally allowed to be a direct copy of iOS, looking absolutely identical to it down to the content of its icons.

And I believe that the world is stupid enough to allow that to happen, so I'm with him.

By that time Apple will be onto the Next Big Thing, leaving the manufacturers and software companies with leftover scraps of a market saturated with iPads. Like the iPod. Apple will have already mined all the money there.
post #17 of 213
Samsung used to copy NOKIA and RIM. These guy did nothing about it. Now it's Apple and all hell broke loose. I think all we need is Samsung to design a product of their own ..like Sony just did. Competition is good. We all want competition in design too.
post #18 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is this the ad? If so, they did put the Android mascot/symbol at the end of the ad. But I'd think stating access to Android Market for apps would also be a selling pointor has Android Market still not accumulated many tablet-based apps.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #19 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

By that time Apple will be onto the Next Big Thing, leaving the manufacturers and software companies with leftover scraps of a market saturated with iPads. Like the iPod. Apple will have already mined all the money there.

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #20 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He means that Apple may win some individual patents, forcing Samsung (and other OEMs) to change aspects of their hardware or Android builds, but Apple will lose the most important patents and Android will be legally allowed to be a direct copy of iOS, looking absolutely identical to it down to the content of its icons.

And I believe that the world is stupid enough to allow that to happen, so I'm with him.

OK, thanks for your honest input.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #21 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is this the ad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfCZC4VHnE If so, they did put the Android mascot/symbol at the end of the ad. But I'd think stating access to Android Market for apps would also be a selling pointor has Android Market still not accumulated many tablet-based apps.

This is the ad... no Android anything... anywhere. Unless I missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW7xDM-XXI
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #22 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

All I want, in terms of "competition", is for some company, other than Apple, to take the tablet idea and turn it on it's head again. Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it.

Jeez you want competition? That would be it right there.

Copy-tition is not competition. Sammy and the rest deserve to be flushed down the toilet unless they come up with their own way of presenting it. Fuck them.

Exactly. These copies are not competition. They provide inferior alternatives, they do not drive innovation. I am not sure why Apple is bothering with legal challenges in the tablet market. Th marketplace is doing a good job rejecting all this trash on it's own.
post #23 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?

You're being harsh to Psych_guy . That has been Apple's MO many times over. The difference with the iPad is that they are looking to have an iPod-like domination right out of the gate. If they get HiDPI display on the next iPad I don't see how competitors will be able to catch up in the foreseeable future, but as of right now there is a chance for them to get a healthy chunk of the tablet market Apple created.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

[...]Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it. [...]
[...]Copy-tition is not competition. [...]

Look at the other markets: computers, OSs, cars, speakers, spoons, you name it.
What's left to be invented in the very near future? Teleporting apps ?! Let them compete with whatever they can design or copy (at some degree).
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #25 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

that's too bad...
Competition is needed, even if the products are looking almost the same.

yes. Competition is good if its free.
But do something own and follow the law.

Samsung abused its position as a supplier to Apple and copied design elements. Samsung is greedy here. Apple buys components from Samsung for over 7 billion. This is Samsungs largest customer. Still Samsung have to release exact clones of Apple products.

And the Android mess.
Google management lives in the "free" internet world.
Instead of inventing something own, they bought Android. They chose to use Linux instead of Unix that leaves them open for litigation. Free software is not free.

Somehow Google and Android vendors know that they are doing something wrong. Why would 6 of 18 Android cell phone makers pay MSFT 5-15 dollar per Android device if they didn't believe that they needed the protection? Why is Google desperate and buys Motorola mobile for over 12 billion just to find some patent to swap with Apple?

Palm managed to make a legal system in WebOS.
MSFT also did it with WinMo 7x.

Why can't Google do it?

So far Android is the most expensive free OS in the world. Billions in protection fees to MSFT and tens of billions in patent hunting for Google.
post #26 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?

Since Apple registered the iPad design in the 1990s, it is possible they are already working on it...
post #27 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

All I want, in terms of "competition", is for some company, other than Apple, to take the tablet idea and turn it on it's head again. Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it.

Jeez you want competition? That would be it right there.

Copy-tition is not competition. Sammy and the rest deserve to be flushed down the toilet unless they come up with their own way of presenting it. Fuck them.

They may need to fire those who simply wants to maintain the same way of doing things because it worked before. The industry needs new blood.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #28 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Exactly. These copies are not competition. They provide inferior alternatives, they do not drive innovation. I am not sure why Apple is bothering with legal challenges in the tablet market. Th marketplace is doing a good job rejecting all this trash on it's own.

Legally Apple have to defend its patents. If they don't, the patent is not legal.

HP has shown how to sell out a non Apple Tablet. Just sell them at a loss. Nothing hinders Google to start subvention tablets to undercut iPad. Google would make up for the loss with its data mining and advertising.
post #29 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This is the ad... no Android anything... anywhere. Unless I missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW7xDM-XXI

1) I didn't see anything about Android.

2) That's a good commercial. If I was aware of the iPad's strengths and the Galaxy Tab's shortcomings that ad would have made be very interested in the device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're being harsh to Psych_guy . That has been Apple's MO many times over. The difference with the iPad is that they are looking to have an iPod-like domination right out of the gate. If they get HiDPI display on the next iPad I don't see how competitors will be able to catch up in the foreseeable future, but as of right now there is a chance for them to get a healthy chunk of the tablet market Apple created.

You're right. I apologize.

Heck, I believed there are better ways to go about tablet OS than a straight port of iOS back before the iPad launch, and I still believe that. We'll just have to wait for Apple to show it to us.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #31 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

Look at the other markets: computers, OSs, cars, speakers, spoons, you name it.
What's left to be invented in the very near future? Teleporting apps ?! Let them compete with whatever they can design or copy (at some degree).

I want to see a tablet that I can write, draw like a paper. Technology will go forward. It will not end here.
post #32 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

Look at the other markets: computers, OSs, cars, speakers, spoons, you name it.
What's left to be invented in the very near future? Teleporting apps ?! Let them compete with whatever they can design or copy (at some degree).

Everything that can be invented has been invented.
. . . . .~ Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899 (attributed)* * This fairly common attributed quote, however, there is no evidence to suggest Duell or anyone else at the patent office made such a claim.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Instead of inventing something own, they bought Android. They chose to use Linux instead of Unix that leaves them open for litigation. Free software is not free.
.

Someone needs to research the UNIX tree

Essentially iOS isn't UNIX, its UNIX-like.

UNIX is just a trademark that companies have to pay alot to get now-a-days, Apple paid it for OS X.

Linux is UNIX-like, and im not going to go into the Linux/GNU naming thing.


BSD which OS X is based off, is open source and free, and thats UNIX-like.
Darwin which is OS X kernel, is also free and open.

WebKit is also free and open, and powers pretty much the browser on all smartphones, as well as having a large chunk of web browser market share with Chrome & Safari.
post #34 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

yes. [...]

I agree, but, just try to imagine the world now with no Android (maybe without WM as well), just iOS and 'touch' Symbian (rip), (great) WebOS (rip), and all the other tentatives which are more or less dead or having an extremely small market share as of now. Sounds like a nice monopoly to me, with prices reaching the sky.
Personally, I like all those copycats on the market, so I can buy whichever I want.
(PS: I use iPhone, as I can see the difference.)

PS: if any spelling mistakes, say thanks to LION's innovative and unique spelling feature, which nobody shall implement it, or it will be called copycat.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #35 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Samsung used to copy NOKIA and RIM. These guy did nothing about it. Now it's Apple and all hell broke loose. I think all we need is Samsung to design a product of their own ..like Sony just did. Competition is good. We all want competition in design too.

Taiwan culture.

HTC/Samsung/LG started as OEM companies.
They produced for example phones to Ericsson, Nokia and so on.

Then they understood that they could sell the product themselves.

Nokia is the greatest example how to destroy a company.
They have empty factories. Instead of using them building their Win7 phones, they hire HTC to produce the phone.

Of course HTC will use this to produce their own Win7 phones.

This out sourcing madness needs to stop.
post #36 of 213
Apple come up with technology so disruptive and innovatory that it's hard to believe that we could have ever done anything any other way. Remember back in the 1980s when MS brought out their shitty copy of the Macintosh OS ? Apple sued MS, whose (successful) defence was "well what other way of designing a PC is there ? Just like cars have steering wheels all personal computers need a mouse" etc. etc.

Not one of Apple's competitors has done anything other than offered a watered down version of Apple's products. Look at the OS design of the Galaxy S and the Tab - could you live with yourself if copying the look and feel down to the same shape and colour of the icons was the best you could do ? At least MS tried to come up with something different in the latest version of Windows Mobile.
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
post #37 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I want to see a tablet that I can write, draw like a paper. Technology will go forward. It will not end here.

Wacom makes those.

Heck, Wacom just started making something absofrickinglutely awesome: An ink pen that automatically translates your physical paper drawings into vector art.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #38 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Everything that can be invented has been invented.
. . . . .~ Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899 (attributed)* * This fairly common attributed quote, however, there is no evidence to suggest Duell or anyone else at the patent office made such a claim.

Can I quote myself? Ok: "in the very near future".
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #39 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wacom makes those.

I know but it's just not consumer friendly. Something like Courier is nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Heck, Wacom just started making something absofrickinglutely awesome: An ink pen that automatically translates your physical paper drawings into vector art.

I'm not sure why but I have zero interest in that pen.
post #40 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I didn't see anything about Android.

2) That's a good commercial. If I was aware of the iPad's strengths and the Galaxy Tab's shortcomings that ad would have made be very interested in the device.

It tells me that Samsung has no qualms about benefiting from the fruits of Apple's labors.

The key to success is to copy the look of the iPad and then advertise it as the same thing... but better.

Leaving out all traces of android... of course.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction