or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction - Page 5

post #161 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If the number of Android tablet users you know is reaching the number of iPad users you know you travel in unusual circles.

Might I venture that he travels in rounded rectangles?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #162 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might I venture that he travels in rounded rectangles?

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #163 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Didn't you hear? They already "lost" the PC Wars and the Smartphone Wars. Next, they'll "lose" the Tablet Wars.

Just like they lost the music player war and the online music store war.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #164 of 213
Speaking of rounded rectangles, I'm incredibly surprised some [data expunged] hasn't tried to claim THIS as proof that Apple's iPad patents are invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hertzfeld

Bill fired up his demo and it quickly filled the Lisa screen with randomly-sized ovals, faster than you thought was possible. But something was bothering Steve Jobs. "Well, circles and ovals are good, but how about drawing rectangles with rounded corners? Can we do that now, too?"

"No, there's no way to do that. In fact it would be really hard to do, and I don't think we really need it". I think Bill was a little miffed that Steve wasn't raving over the fast ovals and still wanted more.

Steve suddenly got more intense. "Rectangles with rounded corners are everywhere! Just look around this room!". And sure enough, there were lots of them, like the whiteboard and some of the desks and tables. Then he pointed out the window. "And look outside, there's even more, practically everywhere you look!". He even persuaded Bill to take a quick walk around the block with him, pointing out every rectangle with rounded corners that he could find.

When Steve and Bill passed a no-parking sign with rounded corners, it did the trick. "OK, I give up", Bill pleaded. "I'll see if it's as hard as I thought." He went back home to work on it.

post #165 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war

Which war?

Not the profit margin war, for sure. They're demolishing the competition in that arena. Go ask Acer, HP, RIM, Sony, Ericsson, if you have questions about that one.
post #166 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) An iPhone with a larger display doesn't mean it's a "giant' phone. Consider 5 years of component shrinkage and a display that goes further to the edge and you could end up with a device that is less volume than the original iPhone.

Hilarious. So you saying that 5 years of component shrinkage can lead to fitting 5'' display into smaller device than 3,7'' current iPhone ? The size of the iPhone bezel is not that big, mind you. Looks like reality distortion field to me.

Quote:

2) Again, where is your proof. Proof is something that points to Jobs saying they would not nor could not make an iPhone with a slightly larger display because a larger display in and of itself would make undesirable. I can't think of a single time in which they said any such thing about the iPhone. Now the iPad they did specifically mention about 7" not being as ideal as 10".

Again, pointing you to Jobs talking about how iPhone is perfect. He mentioned that no one would want device with display over 4'' in his pocket. Go find it.
post #167 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Taiwan culture.

HTC/Samsung/LG started as OEM companies.
They produced for example phones to Ericsson, Nokia and so on.

Then they understood that they could sell the product themselves.

Nokia is the greatest example how to destroy a company.
They have empty factories. Instead of using them building their Win7 phones, they hire HTC to produce the phone.

Of course HTC will use this to produce their own Win7 phones.

This out sourcing madness needs to stop.

Sansumg & LG are Korean... but I assume they all look the same to you
post #168 of 213
It wouldn't surprise me if Samsung renamed themselves to Banana and said it was innovating.

I don't see how the iPhone/iPad inspired Samsungs designs, I mean Samsungs designs are soo ugly how can you not tell the difference?
post #169 of 213
Quote:

And what's "Wi-Fi direct" supposed to be?

Direct handset to handset transfer of data via WiFi without a gateway (aka router).

Innovation.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #170 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Direct handset to handset transfer of data via WiFi without a gateway (aka router).

Innovation.

Why not just use Bluetooth?

And iPhone Hotspot, then connect the other iPhone, theres your direct transfer of data.
post #171 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

The reason people bring up picture frames is because Apple shouldn't get a claim (no company should) because they were the first ones to port an EXISTING design concept to a new platform. The idea already existed. Apple was the first to fully realize that design in the tablet market, but that doesn't mean they should be the only ones allowed to use it. ...

Pure sophistry. This is how we know you (and a number of others) are either paid to post here or are compelled to from entirely irrational motives that cloud your reason.

To the rational person, it's pretty obvious that Samsung is basing their product designs, to the smallest details, entirely on Apple's. It would be amusing to watch the mental gymnastics you go through to deny it, but, with something this blatant, you just end up looking ridiculous and dishonest.
post #172 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

To the rational person. . .

A rational person wouldn't see paid posters all around them.\

I assume you don't really believe it, instead using that claim as your way of derailing differences of opinion when you're in danger of coming out on the short end. You don't come off as irrational in most posts you make. Just when your opponent is making sense.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #173 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

What else do you need it to do? It won't make you a cup of coffee.

On my way to interpret well logs in the Peruvan rain forest I was flashing around an HP35 calculator (the hottest electronic device in the '70s)
When the Jeep got stuck in the mud my calculator was absolutely no help in extracting us as I was shortly reminded.
post #174 of 213
Andrew Barrow from Lenova has stated that only 20,000 of 1,000,000 shipped original Galaxy Tabs were sold.

Ouch!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #175 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Innovation.

Mmm.\

post #176 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Andrew Barrow from Lenova has stated that only 20,000 of 1,000,000 shipped original Galaxy Tabs were sold.

Ouch!

But the real question is how many were returned? I can't imagine people would actually buy a tablet running phone OS. Some even boasted about it.
post #177 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Hilarious. So you saying that 5 years of component shrinkage can lead to fitting 5'' display into smaller device than 3,7'' current iPhone ? The size of the iPhone bezel is not that big, mind you. Looks like reality distortion field to me.

Jumping from a larger than 3.5" display to specifically a silly 5" display isn't fooling anyone.

Quote:
Again, pointing you to Jobs talking about how iPhone is perfect. He mentioned that no one would want device with display over 4'' in his pocket. Go find it.

Again, it's your argument. It's your claim. If you can't back it up then you lose on all counts.
post #178 of 213
Quote:

Jumping from a larger than 3.5" display to specifically a silly 5" display isn't fooling anyone.

Again, it's your argument. It's your claim. If you can't back it up then you lose on all counts.

If you measure the diagonal of the glass on the iP4, it could support a 4.75" display without changing the device dimensions -- but the front .camera , speaker and home button would need to be relocated or repurposed.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #179 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you measure the diagonal of the glass on the iP4, it could support a 4.75" display without changing the device dimensions -- but the front .camera , speaker and home button would need to be relocated or repurposed.

That tells me it's not going to happen. I don't think they'll integrate the display into those components for obvious reasons, and are very unlikely to alter the aspect ratio for reasons of maintaining a more cohesive developer community and App Store.

I posted some information yesterday about the potential for the iPhone display increasing to 4". In short, if they other aspects of the rumour are true Id est, a smaller bezel on the side, and a thinner casing with rounded sides *it could fit in your hand nearly as easily as the iPhone 4 for one hand thumb typing.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...31#post1935531
post #180 of 213
Quote:

That tells me it's not going to happen. I don't think they'll integrate the display into those components for obvious reasons, and are very unlikely to alter the aspect ratio for reasons of maintaining a more cohesive developer community and App Store.

What would be great is if they changed the aspect ratio of the iPhone to be the same as on the iPad. It is a lot better.
post #181 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I assume you don't really believe it, instead using that claim as your way of derailing differences of opinion when you're in danger of coming out on the short end. You don't come off as irrational in most posts you make. Just when your opponent is making sense.

<sound of a wailing siren>

Somebody's making sense on AI??!! Where??!! Someone call 911!! We can't allow this.

Oh...

Sorry.

False alarm. He wasn't making sense.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #182 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What would be great is if they changed the aspect ratio of the iPhone to be the same as on the iPad. It is a lot better.

The iPad is already more square than the iPhone. That would severely limit the short width to something you can hold in your hand and result in an even more stubby iPhone. While I doubt they will, going with an aspect ratio that is often used in Android phones would make a lot more sense. that. That would make it taller while holding in your hand for even more display area.
post #183 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

4:3 isn't suitable for a phone, though. It's too squat in your hand (unless you scale it up, and then it's too large).

post #184 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Why not just use Bluetooth?

And iPhone Hotspot, then connect the other iPhone, theres your direct transfer of data.

One chip less + no license fee to pay the creator of Bluetooth (Ericsson).

post #185 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDroid View Post

Such a shame. I thought the original German injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was based on its similarity in terms of size and appearance to the iPad.

Well you thought wrong. The trade dress infraction is based on a LOT more than just the shape of the rectangle.

Thompson
post #186 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Well you thought wrong. The trade dress infraction is based on a LOT more than just the shape of the rectangle.

Thompson

Actually, it's not. And it's not trade dress they're accused of in the EU, it's Community Design. This design does not consider software, and is based on the premise that an INFORMED consumer would be confused by the similarity of the devices (before software is taken into account). That claim was questionable with the Tab 10.1, it makes absolutely NO sense with the Tab 7.7
post #187 of 213
Exactly how much compensation should Apple get from Samsung, Motorola, etc.? Will we all be satisfied when the iPad is the only tablet on the market without any alternative. Or should these companies simply license the patents and pay Apple a fee (a la Microsoft charging fees to HTC et al.).

Ultimately, I believe Samsung should be allowed to sell their products, at a fee. There is demand for their stuff, so let all the Apple-haters pay Apple to allow Samsung to compete. Perhaps giving a new meaning to the phrase 'Apple Tax'.
post #188 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think you and some others here are paid. I think there are a bunch of other people here who are driven to state of irrationality by either their rabid Google/Android fanaticism or their curiously misguided hate of Apple. And, there are a bunch more who just don't have a clue what they are even talking about.

However, in this thread, there are certain posters, such as Menno who are knowingly making an argument that is completely beside the point, that is, as I said, an exercise in sophistry. When you have to focus exclusively on the legalistic aspects of the question in this forum to try to force your point, you know you're being dishonest in addressing the issue of whether Samsung is simply ripping off other people's work, and it's telling that you didn't defend his position, but attacked the person pointing out that his argument is bullshit.

And, yes, I think he is likely a paid representative of someone. I can't prove it, but I trust my instinct.
post #189 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Exactly how much compensation should Apple get from Samsung, Motorola, etc.? Will we all be satisfied when the iPad is the only tablet on the market without any alternative.

No one intelligent holds this position. I posit that therefore, no one here holds that position.

We want Android to have its own, unique interface. We want OEMs to make hardware that is differentiated the iPad.

We absolutely want as many competitors as possible. But we don't have competitors right now. We have CLONES. DIRECT CLONES.

Quote:
Or should these companies simply license the patents and pay Apple a fee (a la Microsoft charging fees to HTC et al.).

That might be a solution. Make them pay out the ear if they're going to copy instead of innovate.

You can't TELL me that Android isn't a direct copy of iOS. You can't TELL anyone that there's no other way to do a tablet or phone OS.

I mean, look at this right here. THIS IS AWESOME. It needs to be made a reality. It's the perfect thing for Android to try as a means of differentiation. It's a great interface idea.

But no. Square icons in a grid on home screens. That's the ONLY way it can be done, so Apple can't have a patent on it.

post #190 of 213
Quote:

No one intelligent holds this position. I posit that therefore, no one here holds that position.

We want Android to have its own, unique interface. We want OEMs to make hardware that is differentiated the iPad.

How? An iPad is pretty minimal. I'd argue hardware wise, if you want to make an ergonomic tablet there isn't much you can do to differentiate from the iPad, hardware-wise. You'll not see me argue about the software, there's no point.

Quote:
We absolutely want as many competitors as possible. But we don't have competitors right now. We have CLONES. DIRECT CLONES.

How different can you make a tablet from an iPad without making a different device altogether. This new tablet market is in its infancy, so it's understandable what constitutes a clone or not is in dispute. Hopefully the courts can come to a solution which will benefit all players in the long term.

Quote:
That might be a solution. Make them pay out the ear if they're going to copy instead of innovate.

You can't TELL me that Android isn't a direct copy of iOS. You can't TELL anyone that there's no other way to do a tablet or phone OS.

Or, instead of paying out the ear, pay a fair and reasonable fee. You know, like Apple pays Nokia. I have not and will not deny that Android has copied iOS. That's not my argument.

Quote:
I mean, look at this right here. THIS IS AWESOME. It needs to be made a reality. It's the perfect thing for Android to try as a means of differentiation. It's a great interface idea.

But no. Square icons in a grid on home screens. That's the ONLY way it can be done, so Apple can't have a patent on it.

Apple wasn't the first to have icons on a grid as a home screen. Kinda weakens your argument. That video looks horrendous btw - reminds me of the ELSE First OS. Which was innovative, but of course there's a reason that didn't take off. Learned behaviours and expectations etc. have resulted in desktop OS's seem to utilise such similar metaphors. Why would this not be the same for tablets?
post #191 of 213
Quote:

That video is awesome, but it's also a UI that has a much higher learning curve. Look at all of the people who complain that Honeycomb is "too hard to understand". They'd be downright confused if you gave them something like that.

Heck, there's a company trying a new take on a tablet UI: http://youtu.be/h9qP02DVOOY

And people won't buy it because it's confusing (compared to what they already know). And that UI is still easier to understand than the neat one you posted. Companies don't just make cool products, they have to make cool products they think will sell well.

you can make an interface that will only respond to Klingon if you want to, and it would totally unique, but the question becomes "will it sell." I'd buy a tablet with a UI like the one your video shows, but I'm a geek. I'm patient enough to take the time to learn how a new OS does something. Most people won't be.
post #192 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Heck, there's a company trying a new take on a tablet UI: http://youtu.be/h9qP02DVOOY

I like that. I like that a lot.

The only obstacle they have to people getting to use that is how the UI hides unseen information.

With home screens, it's implied that to find anything on the device you can't see, you just flick in one direction or another and there it'll be.

With an open grid like this, you have to manually search for it (unless you have a dock with quick icons always visible. Like a CD for your music grid-group that you tap and the UI flies across the grid to that group, etc.) or be able to search for it quickly through a typed system like Spotlight.

Quote:
I'd buy a tablet with a UI like the one your video shows, but I'm a geek. I'm patient enough to take the time to learn how a new OS does something. Most people won't be.

Agreed. Also agreed that I wouldn't pin my video's interface as anything more fleshed out than an early alpha stage of the UI. It's just not polished enough to be a real interface, but it's a nice little peek at something brand new.

post #193 of 213
Quote:

I like that. I like that a lot.

The only obstacle they have to people getting to use that is how the UI hides unseen information.

With home screens, it's implied that to find anything on the device you can't see, you just flick in one direction or another and there it'll be.

With an open grid like this, you have to manually search for it (unless you have a dock with quick icons always visible. Like a CD for your music grid-group that you tap and the UI flies across the grid to that group, etc.) or be able to search for it quickly through a typed system like Spotlight.

Agreed. Also agreed that I wouldn't pin my video's interface as anything more fleshed out than an early alpha stage of the UI. It's just not polished enough to be a real interface, but it's a nice little peek at something brand new.

The Grid10 (the tablet in the video) actually has a "minimap" that you can toggle in the upper right corner so you can jump to specific apps. I think the idea is that you group apps by common themes. It should be interesting.

What I REALLY want to try though is their Grid4, which is a phone that will supposedly work on ATT and Tmobile, and be sold unlocked for $399. At that price, it's Really tempting to pick one up.

http://www.fusiongarage.com/grid-4/features

It also reminds me of the BenQ Blackbox a little, like, the Blackbox's grandfather or something.
post #194 of 213
Ok Apple fan boys. Calm down. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan but at the very least, I like to think critically before jumping on the bandwagon.

First of all, I completely hate the patents that Apple has filed to so-called protect its property. This is similar to way Disney protects its property. These corporations need to stop wasting money on lawyers to take care of this. As someone astutely mentioned earlier, the market will take of Samsung in its own way.

Second of all, let's not play this game of calling other companies copiers. Apple copies so much from other OS'es and yet no one on this forums has called it out. Look at the so-called new function that Apple added to Lion, "Reopen Windows on Login." Yea, straight from Microsoft's Hibernation but Steve Jobs says it's a magical new function so all fanboys jump in jubilation.
post #195 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by appinsiderguest View Post

Ok Apple fan boys. Calm down. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan but

We JUST had this conversation. Only trolls start their crap this way. Did you miss the memo?

Quote:
First of all, I completely hate the patents that Apple has filed to so-called protect its property.

You might want to think about rewriting that sentence, or at the very least, moving some words around. Unless you can come up with a way to explain how something that Apple conceived, designed, built, and sold is somehow their "so-called" property.

Quote:
These corporations need to stop wasting money on lawyers to take care of this.

Then other corporations should start wasting their money on R&D.

Quote:
Second of all, let's not play this game of calling other companies copiers.

It's a slam on Xerox, you're right.

Quote:
Look at the so-called new function that Apple added to Lion, "Reopen Windows on Login." Yea, straight from Microsoft's Hibernation but Steve Jobs says it's a magical new function so all fanboys jump in jubilation.

You seriously just made a "Apple copied from Microsoft" statement, didn't you?

Never mind that Apple has had hibernation in OS X for longer than I can remember and that Windows wouldn't exist in its present form if they hadn't directly copied System 1.

post #196 of 213
Quote:

Never mind that Apple has had hibernation in OS X for longer than I can remember and that Windows wouldn't exist in its present form if they hadn't directly copied System 1.

Besides his other silly comments he comparing Hibernate in Windows to restarting a Mac, not simply having the RAM saved to disk, which has been a part of Apple's Safe Sleep for many years.

PS: Those wish to regain their drive space (for instance if you install Mac OS X on a USB drive) can disable Safe Sleep. The OS will designate as much space for hibernation as you have RAM, so those with 8GB or more could easily find their sap space severely compromised thus making their system run slower than it should.
http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...70302210328928
post #197 of 213
Quote:

There lies your problem - "We want OEMs to make hardware that is differentiated the iPad."
Again and again. The iPad hardware design wasn't the first "looking like that" (Not Necessarily) tablet design.
Solved.
post #198 of 213
Quote:

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?

Who knows what Apple will come up with in the foreseeable future? Did you foresee the iPhone? Did you foresee the runaway success that the iPad is?

My point is that nobody knows, save for the guys running Apple. But it's been a fun ride, for me at least, at the beginning with my Mac Plus and getting off the Apple train for awhile and then jumping back on with the iPhone.

Apple has consistently shown they will take chances and try to turn things on their head. Copying is not the Apple way. For that I give them huge props. More than I would ever give to any other lame ass company that thinks they can copy Apple and move ahead. It's a losing game. Ask RIM, ask Microsoft lately.
post #199 of 213
Quote:

We absolutely want as many competitors as possible. But we don't have competitors right now. We have CLONES. DIRECT CLONES. [...]

[...]

Apparently, the Android fans who come here feel that the iPad and iOS are so perfect that they want Android tablets to be just like it. That at least explains why they spend so much time on an Apple focused site.
post #200 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Apparently, the Android fans who come here feel that the iPad and iOS are so perfect that they want Android tablets to be just like it. That at least explains why they spend so much time on an Apple focused site.

If you have something to say to me, say it directly. Thanks.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction