or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction - Page 2

post #41 of 213
Getting sick of seeing that same old AppleInsider image on Samsung devices before and after the iPhone. Never mind the bollocks that is design patents in the first place.
post #42 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This is the ad... no Android anything... anywhere. Unless I missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW7xDM-XXI

Interesting too in that the implication all the way through is not just "better" but "better than the iPad" when in fact if they had been that specific, they'd be had up for false advertising. The Galaxy Tab does *not* have "better graphics" than iPad in the sense that they imply in this advertisement for instance.

Also, it's a very creative use of words in general because "better" is so subjective when used in the way they use it. "Better multi-tasking" is really just an opinion the way it's used in the ad, so they can't really be held to it as a lie. No technical argument is really being made even though it comes across like a list of technical specs.

Most advertising is based on deception however and this is no exception. In fact it's a very clever example of it. No actual lies but still a complete misrepresentation in terms of painting this device as a leader when in fact it's a rather poor follower in the tablet market.
post #43 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Getting sick of seeing that same old AppleInsider image on Samsung devices before and after the iPhone. Never mind the bollocks that is design patents in the first place.

Please explain further.
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
post #44 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war

We shall see, we shall see

If they win enough battles that they keep the copy cats off the market and out of buyers minds then those companies will lose sales to the not copy cat competition. ANd isn't that basically winning the war since the only 'iPhone like' devices anyone is buying is the iPhone itself

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #45 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Someone needs to research the UNIX tree

Essentially iOS isn't UNIX, its UNIX-like.

UNIX is just a trademark that companies have to pay alot to get now-a-days, Apple paid it for OS X.

Linux is UNIX-like, and im not going to go into the Linux/GNU naming thing.

BSD which OS X is based off, is open source and free, and thats UNIX-like.
Darwin which is OS X kernel, is also free and open.

WebKit is also free and open, and powers pretty much the browser on all smartphones, as well as having a large chunk of web browser market share with Chrome & Safari.

You're kind of misrepresenting things here.

UNIX is not a "trademark" it's a very specific thing that vendors of UNIX got together to certify. A certification, whatever you may think of it, is nothing like a "trademark."

That being said ...

- OS X is UNIX
- Linux is "UNIX-like" in that it's a copy, but not a variant of UNIX
- BSD is UNIX in that it was widely recognised as UNIX before the certification
- iOS is a new OS based on a UNIX certified OS, but without certification.

Since iOS is still rapidly evolving it makes no sense to talk about it as if it is or is not UNIX. It's unlikely that iOS will ever get, or want UNIX certification anyway.
post #46 of 213
That marketing photo is awesome fiction: some dude model holding a Galaxy Tab with a smile on his face in an Apple Store-like retail setting with all kinds of models posing like they're interested in Galaxy Tabs. Where is that supposed to be, the Samsung Store?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

that's too bad...
Competition is needed, even if the products are looking almost the same.

FFS, people. Get your own Jony Ive.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wacom makes those.

Ultimately this technology will have to be incorporated into a real tablet like the iPad however. I would bet money that Apple has prototypes in the labs as we speak since it's a clear differentiating factor for tablets.

If someone made an Android tablet tomorrow with a proper pressure sensitive stylus that could be used to write and draw on, (not very likely I know), it would be a tablet with a clear advantage over the iPad. It seems likely to me that Apple will want to cut off such developments by doing it first. Hopefully with iPad 3 or 4.

Quote:

Heck, Wacom just started making something absofrickinglutely awesome: An ink pen that automatically translates your physical paper drawings into vector art.

This is old tech, but cool nonetheless. Wacom's version of it is probably the best, knowing how they work.
post #49 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

We shall see, we shall see

If they win enough battles that they keep the copy cats off the market and out of buyers minds then those companies will lose sales to the not copy cat competition. ANd isn't that basically winning the war since the only 'iPhone like' devices anyone is buying is the iPhone itself

Of which will be a monopoly, something that the government wont appreciate.

Stifling competition is what Apple is doing.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #50 of 213
Quote:

but Apple will lose the most important patents and Android will be legally allowed to be a direct copy of iOS, looking absolutely identical to it down to the content of its icons.

Don't be so sure about that. Right now Samsung might win because they aren't a direct copy, not that the whole trade dress patent is invalid.

And don't forget that there are other even more important patents that Apple now has control over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Monopolies are not inherently bad or illegal. It's how you get there and what you do with it. IF it is determined that Apple has a valid patent and valid trademarks and they were being violated then the products should be removed. Apple has every legal right to protect their IP and the government won't find fault with that even if it does create a monopoly. Also remember that there's more than Samsung out there. AND it isn't like Samsung couldn't change the violating parts of their UI and release the products.

post #51 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If someone made an Android tablet tomorrow with a proper pressure sensitive stylus that could be used to write and draw on, (not very likely I know), it would be a tablet with a clear advantage over the iPad. It seems likely to me that Apple will want to cut off such developments by doing it first. Hopefully with iPad 3 or 4.

This is old tech, but cool nonetheless. Wacom's version of it is probably the best, knowing how they work.

Samsung Note ( Android + Wacom + HD resolution ( 1280 x 800 ) Super AMOLED Plus display in a 5.3 inch screen Tablet/phone hybrid. )

Here is a video of a caricature artist using the device at IFA 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvMW...3&feature=plpp

Here is a video of the official demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfMmMrUwRnI

Guess Samsung beat Apple to it.

post #52 of 213
Quote:

Long live the copyists. I mean legitimate competitors.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 213
Quote:

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?

Who says that they don't have the successor for iOS in the labs already? They had an x86 version of Mac OS for years without announcing it. Similarly, I'm sure that they have stuff already going on that you don't know anything about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Someone needs to research the UNIX tree

Essentially iOS isn't UNIX, its UNIX-like.

UNIX is just a trademark that companies have to pay alot to get now-a-days, Apple paid it for OS X.

That is incorrect. 'Unix' is a certification. You have to meet the requirements. Mac OS X meets the requirements and is therefore Unix. (At least, some of the earlier versions did. I'm not absolutely certain that Lion does, but have no reason to believe that it doesn't).

Quote:

Not true. The government has no position for or against monopolies. Monopolies are quite legal - and some monopolies (patents) are enforced by government policy. There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about a monopoly. You only get in trouble if you obtain or maintain a monopoly illegally.

Quote:

Stifling competition is what Apple is doing.

I love that definition. I guess I'l go down to the local bank branch and steal $100 M from the vault so that I can start my own bank. If they stop me, I'll scream and yell that they're stifling competition.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #54 of 213
Quote:

Look at the other markets: computers, OSs, cars, speakers, spoons, you name it.
What's left to be invented in the very near future? Teleporting apps ?! Let them compete with whatever they can design or copy (at some degree).

Tech History 101

Tom Watson, Sr., the founder, chairman of IBM, was rumored to have said, circa 1950:

"I think there is a world market for about five computers."

Wiki - Thomas J. Watson

And...

Personnel - HR 101

Quote:
Thomas Watson Sr. was “fired” by NCR
Famously, NCR’s star sales executive Thomas Watson Sr. met a similar fate. In 1914, Watson argued that NCR’s dominant product, mechanical cash registers, would soon go obsolete. He proposed that NCR develop electric cash registers. Peterson resisted the idea. He demanded that Watson focus on nothing but sales and not worry about innovation. Following an argument at a meeting, Patterson dismissed Watson. In a fit of anger, Patterson had workers carry Watson’s desk outside and had it lit on fire. Thomas Watson Sr. was thus “fired.” Thomas Watson Sr. then joined a smaller competitor, Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (C-T-R,) which soon grew into International Business Machines (IBM.) Thomas Watson Sr. led IBM for forty years and turned IBM into the world’s leading technology company.

Business Folklore: Origin of the expression “You are fired!”

Finally...

Competition 101

Quote:
My first day as a salesman I had to read a booklet telling all Patterson Salesmen what they must not do, because if they did any of this the boss would go to jail. One of the things I couldn’t do as a salesman was blackjack the salesmen of competitors. Another was bribe freight agents to hold up shipments, or drop sand in competitors’ machines to put them out of order, open offices next door to competitors and cut the prices to knock them out of business—these were all things that his knockout squad had been doing which I was prohibited from doing.

http://www.thecorememory.com/The_NCR.pdf
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #55 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. The government has no position for or against monopolies. Monopolies are quite legal - and some monopolies (patents) are enforced by government policy. There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about a monopoly. You only get in trouble if you obtain or maintain a monopoly illegally.

Are you not familiar with the way the Fed is sueing AT&T with its plans to merge with T-Mobile? They are doing it based on the fact that it would reduce (stifle) competition and increase prices of the products.

Here is a link for you to refresh your prior knowledge (or lack of): http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20099789.shtml

Also, there is nothing illegal about the propose merger.

Guess I called you out now.

post #56 of 213
Quote:

Like it did with MP3 players?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #57 of 213
Quote:

You're right. I apologize.

Heck, I believed there are better ways to go about tablet OS than a straight port of iOS back before the iPad launch, and I still believe that. We'll just have to wait for Apple to show it to us.

I think that Apple's goal is to have a "single" OS that runs on all its hardware platforms and supports multiple UIs.

It won't be too long before we see iPads and Macs collaborating on, say, "Professional Video Editing and Post Production".

Most of what is needed to run Final Cut Pro X on the iPad is already in iOS -- it is just waiting for the hardware to catch up, and a multitouch UI for the app.

To me, this was one of the great potentials of WebOS for HP -- to make it available on pcs as well as tablets and phones.

Apparently, Windows 8 is MS's solution to a unified OS for all platforms and devices.
post #58 of 213
Quote:

I agree, but, just try to imagine the world now with no Android (maybe without WM as well), just iOS and 'touch' Symbian (rip), (great) WebOS (rip), and all the other tentatives which are more or less dead or having an extremely small market share as of now. Sounds like a nice monopoly to me, with prices reaching the sky.
Personally, I like all those copycats on the market, so I can buy whichever I want.
(PS: I use iPhone, as I can see the difference.)

PS: if any spelling mistakes, say thanks to LION's innovative and unique spelling feature, which nobody shall implement it, or it will be called copycat.

AIR, Apple has submitted a patent application for Lion "AutoInCorrect".
post #59 of 213
Quote:

Samsung Note ( Android + Wacom + HD resolution ( 1280 x 800 ) Super AMOLED Plus display in a 5.3 inch screen Tablet/phone hybrid. )

Guess Samsung beat Apple to it.

I'm pretty sure this is a capacitive stylus just like the ones you can use on the iPhone.

I meant a real, pressure sensitive, non capacitive stylus that can be used with accuracy to imitate drawing materials like pens, pencils, etc. You can already draw to a degree on the iPad, but you can't do anything that isn't sketchy or impressionistic without herculean effort. You will also never get very good handwriting detection with a capacitive stylus.

It requires a second digitiser built in to the device to separate the pen input from finger input.
post #60 of 213
Quote:

I'm pretty sure this is a capacitive stylus just like the ones you can use on the iPhone.

I meant a real, pressure sensitive, non capacitive stylus that can be used with accuracy to imitate drawing materials like pens, pencils, etc. You can already draw to a degree on the iPad, but you can't do anything that isn't sketchy or impressionistic without herculean effort. You will also never get very good handwriting detection with a capacitive stylus.

It requires a second digitiser built in to the device to separate the pen input from finger input.

Source: http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=5334

If you are still in denial, then you have problems.

post #61 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that Apple's goal is to have a "single" OS that runs on all its hardware platforms and supports multiple UIs.

1) They started with a single OS, Darwin, albeit at different versions.

2) If you mean they will unify iOS for a pocketable device, iOS for a tablet, and Mac OS into a single UI I don't see how that will ever happen. Apple has specifically designed UIs to be optimized for each device.

Quote:

I don't see how that can happen whist still maintaining a durable glass display. The way I'd expect a quality and accurate stylus to be made would to be capacitance, but with low-power BlueTooth 4.0 pairing to send back pressure information. This puts the pressure sensor (and even gyroscopic pen twists and stylus button clickstyles witch point sizes,color, etc.) in the stylus.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #62 of 213
Quote:

Google is trying to win a MEANINGLESS WAR. Market share is useless if you're not earning any revenue from it.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #63 of 213
Quote:

Source: http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=5334

If you are still in denial, then you have problems.

Looks good!

Any ideas or links on price and availability?

all I could find was this:

Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy Note tablet/smartphones launch details and pricing information havent been officially announced yet.

Samsung Galaxy Note Full Specifications And Price Details

And this:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, Galaxy Note Not Launching In The US? Ever?
post #64 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Google is trying to win a MEANINGLESS WAR. Market share is useless if you're not earning any revenue from it.

I guess your not familiar with Google's business model.

Google's main source of revenue is advertising.

The more Android devices that are out there (aka more market share), the increase revenue they will generate due to sheer number of mobile products accessing its main search business.

Market share is the key to Google's business model.

post #65 of 213
JUST IN: Microsoft to win from Google Motorola buy: Acer

Microsoft will be the winner in Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility as the deal makes Google a direct rival to its phone-making clients, a senior executive from Acer Inc said on Friday.

Deppeler said Acer would consider the implications of the deal before deciding on future platform choices.

Acer's already thinking about DUMPING Android in favor of WP7.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7814JR20110902

post #66 of 213
Quote:

Here is a video of a caricature artist using the device at IFA 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvMW...3&feature=plpp

How is that different than people painting on iPad with fingers?
post #67 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

How is that different than people painting on iPad with fingers?

Pressure sensitivity and detail.

post #68 of 213
Quote:

Pressure sensitivity and detail.

That's all?
post #69 of 213
Quote:

The more Android devices that are out there (aka more market share), the increase revenue they will generate.

Google's revenue from Android is so pathetically low even Google is embarrassed to include it in their earnings report.

Android costs Google alot of money: Android's acquisition cost + Motorola's acquisition cost + cost of patent litigation + cost of supporting/developing Android. Add them all up and they've invested at least $15+ Billion (or more) in Android.

Their revenue/profit from Android is only in the millions. Do the math.

Android is a LOSER. it's a money-losing operation.

Despite Android's market share, Google's PROFIT and Market Cap has been flat for the past 2 years or so. Meanwhile, Apple is now the most valuable company (with Exxon).

post #70 of 213
Quote:

The more Android devices that are out there (aka more market share), the increase revenue they will generate due to sheer number of mobile products accessing its main search business.

What does Google get on Advertising? $6/year? How many new devices need to get Android for them to make up for the MMI acquit ion of $12.5 billion? How much does it cost for vendors over other licenses like WP7? How many devices have to sold with Android for Google advertisingto equal the profit from one iPhone? Who is playing the game better?
post #71 of 213
Quote:

That's all?

What else do you need it to do? It won't make you a cup of coffee.
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #72 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

What else do you need it to do? It won't make you a cup of coffee.

Yawn.
post #73 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Google management lives in the "free" internet world.
Instead of inventing something own, they bought Android. They chose to use Linux instead of Unix that leaves them open for litigation. Free software is not free.

Linux is an open source project.Thousands of developers have contributed to the project and continue to contribute into it without any incentive financial or otherwise.

So yes,to burst your bubble, free software is free.Whatever you may be led to believe by your brainwashing handlers.
post #74 of 213
Quote:

Mmm... Based on his recent actions, one wonders if Larry Paige is "not familiar with Google's business model."
post #75 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm... Based on his recent actions, one wonders if Larry Paige is "not familiar with Google's business model."

Larry Page's tenure as Google's CEO is going to be a short one.

WSJ: A Very Gloomy Picture Of Larry Page's Short Tenure As Google CEO

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...984562128.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-ver...gle-ceo-2011-8

post #76 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What does Google get on Advertising? $6/year? How many new devices need to get Android for them to make up for the MMI acquit ion of $12.5 billion? How much does it cost for vendors over other licenses like WP7? How many devices have to sold with Android for Google advertisingto equal the profit from one iPhone? Who is playing the game better?

Google.

post #77 of 213
Quote:

That's all?

Take a look at the infographic that I posted.

Also, what is even better is that Samsung will be releasing an SDK for the S Pen software for third party developers to take advantage of it.

post #78 of 213
Quote:

Yawn.

I don't care about how your uvula looks. How about answering my question?
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #79 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

I don't care about how your uvula looks. How about answering my question?

He doesnt have an answer that is why he uses onomatopoeia in its place. He should be a great politician.

post #80 of 213
Apple should give up, people can see they are iPad knock-offs and want the real thing anyway.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction