or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Best Buy preparing for Oct. launch of Apple's iPhone 5

Rumor: Best Buy preparing for Oct. launch of Apple's iPhone 5

post #1 of 36
A pair of new reports claim retailer Best Buy is preparing for an October launch of Apple's next-generation iPhone, though they conflict on potential launch dates.

A leaked document from the retailer provided to Boy Genius Report suggests that the iPhone will launch the first week of October. The note to employees also claims that Sprint will offer Apple's fifth-generation iPhone at launch, aligning with a recent rumor that it would become the third carrier in the U.S. to offer the iPhone.

The memo suggests that pre-sales for the new iPhone could begin soon, with an "expected" launch in the first week of October. However, the note also cautions that launch dates are "subject to change."

Separately, This is my next also reported on Sunday that Best Buy is scheduled to have an "Apple fixture" installed at its retail stores on Friday, Oct. 21, a few weeks after the memo implies the next iPhone will launch.

"To be clear, this isn't a run-of-the-mill installation for the big box -- our tipster tells us that the request that a manager be on-hand at 6AM is out of the ordinary (they usually show up at 7AM for inventory), and that a similar arrangement was scheduled for the iPhone 4 launch," the report said.

It also added that Best Buy Mobile managers are scheduled to have a meeting to discuss release dates for major new products.

Both reports come on the heels of a rumor from Japan which claims that two manufacturers have begun assembling the so-called "iPhone 5." Foxconn is said to be responsible for 85 percent of the assembly, while Pegatron has a 15 percent share.

That report suggested that the next iPhone will arrive by early October in the U.S., with other territories to follow.

AppleInsider reported in August that Apple's long-time advertising agency TBWA/Chiat Day has begun work on a television spots for the smartphone, which will reportedly finish up in early October. Several other reports have also pointed to an October release.

The next iPhone is expected to sport the same A5 processor found in the iPad 2, as well as a new high-resolution 8-megapixel camera. Some third party cases have suggested the device will be thinner with curved sides and a flat back.
post #2 of 36
post #3 of 36
If AI keeps publishing the same rumor, does it make it more true?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 36
This has been on macrumors all day...
post #5 of 36
Which is better - the endless (sometimes fun and sometimes tedious) speculation based upon dodgy daily rumors as to the exact date of the new iPhone release, or the surprise when it happens (we all know it will be Sept / Oct)?

Which is better - the (fun) trickle release of new OS features leading to an inevitable letdown when it appears, or the delight and surprise when it is released sans prior insight?

It's a tough one
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Which is better - the endless (sometimes fun and sometimes tedious) speculation based upon dodgy daily rumors as to the exact date of the new iPhone release, or the surprise when it happens (we all know it will be Sept / Oct)?

Which is better - the (fun) trickle release of new OS features leading to an inevitable letdown when it appears, or the delight and surprise when it is released sans prior insight?

It's a tough one

I kind of like both, the speculation and the trickle of new features. Especially since I'm now eligible for an upgrade from my current iPhone.
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpen View Post

This has been on macrumors all day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The memo suggests that pre-sales for the new iPhone could begin soon, which an "expected" launch in the first week of October.

i don't understand why appleinsider often publishes rumors later than the other rumor sites. but i know it's definitely not because they're spending more time proof-reading their, uh, articles.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I kind of like both, the speculation and the trickle of new features. Especially since I'm now eligible for an upgrade from my current iPhone.

Is there any evidence that AT&T is going to have an early upgrade schedule like with the last launch? I don't hit 2 years for a looking time...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #9 of 36
Let's hope no one finds the prototype before the october event. I'm pretty stoked and am waiting for 3.7 inch retina display along with ram and (would be totally awesome) minimum storage starting at 32. I think it's about time. Let's hear it for 128GB iPod Touch that replaces the classic.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is there any evidence that AT&T is going to have an early upgrade schedule like with the last launch? I don't hit 2 years for a looking time...

I haven't heard anything about any US carrier offering early upgrades yet. My wife (the primary line) has been eligible since June (18 months into our 24 month contract) and my upgrade date was showing Sept 9 (3 months early) until last week. I checked on Aug 29, and the Apple site said I was eligible, so I'm waiting with bated breath.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Let's hope no one finds the prototype before the october event. I'm pretty stoked and am waiting for 3.7 inch retina display along with ram and (would be totally awesome) minimum storage starting at 32. I think it's about time. Let's hear it for 128GB iPod Touch that replaces the classic.

1) I'm thinking the event will fall in mid-September.

2) I don't think 3.7" makes much sense. If they were going increase the display size to 3.7" doing it when they doubled the resolution would have been ideal. I think keeping the 3.5" and adding a ≈4" display option makes a lot more sense at this stage.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) I don't think 3.7" makes much sense. If they were going increase the display size to 3.7" doing it when they doubled the resolution would have been ideal. I think keeping the 3.5" and adding a ≈4" display option makes a lot more sense at this stage.

I HIGHLY doubt they'll introduce a cost "friendly" 128 GB iTouch when the 64GB model is 400.I mean flash is expensive.....
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
post #13 of 36
Quote:

Yea sorry, I got a brain poop there calling it the october event.

A 4 inch would be cool too. The only thing I know is that 3.5 feels small nowadays. I feel like I have an iPhone nano sometimes when I lay it next to a 4.3 Android phone. However I don't know what the ideal screen size is, as 4.3 seems a bit much for a phone. At the same time the Samsung note looks pretty awesome (of course that size is pretty niche so I don't see apple ever going into a 5 inch territory). I guess I'm confused about what screen size I want, but I definitely want it bigger and keep retina resolution on it.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #14 of 36
Quote:

A 4 inch would be cool too. The only thing I know is that 3.5 feels small nowadays. I feel like I have an iPhone nano sometimes when I lay it next to a 4.3 Android phone. However I don't know what the ideal screen size is, as 4.3 seems a bit much for a phone. At the same time the Samsung note looks pretty awesome. I guess I'm confused about what screen size I want, but I definitely want a retina resolution on it.

In general, I don't think the 4.x" displays on current Android phones are appealing to women. I also wonder if it's appealing to those who have a more professional need and want something that is more easily pocketable.

I know I want a bigger display, but I also don't want a bigger device in order to get the larger display. I deal with that issue every time I buy a new MBP. So far I've continued to purchase the 13".
post #15 of 36
Quote:

In general, I don't think the 4.x" displays on current Android phones are appealing to women. I also wonder if it's appealing to those who have a more professional need and want something that is more easily pocketable.

I know I want a bigger display, but I also don't want a bigger device in order to get the larger display. I deal with that issue every time I buy a new MBP. So far I've continued to purchase the 13".

Yea that is the reason I was kinda leaning towards 3.7, to make it usable for as many people as possible while increasing the size. I know someone who uses a 4 inch android and she says she's ok with it, but she does not hold it in her palm. It's a half grip holding half a phone with a fist facing sideways rather than down. So it's usable, just not as sturdy.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #16 of 36
Quote:

Yea that is the reason I was kinda leaning towards 3.7, to make it usable for as many people as possible while increasing the size. I know someone who uses a 4 inch android and she says she's ok with it, but she does not hold it in her palm. It's a half grip holding half a phone with a fist facing sideways rather than down. So it's usable, just not as sturdy.

Don't forget... a 4" Android phone is practically the same width as a 3.5" iPhone... because of the different Android aspect ratio.

It's a little taller, but still manageable. And Android's extra screen real-estate is nice.

The iPhone could stand to grow a little bit... and still not be uncomfortable to hold.

post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Don't forget... a 4" Android phone is practically the same width as a 3.5" iPhone... because of the different Android aspect ratio.

It's a little taller, but still manageable. And Android's extra screen real-estate is nice.

The iPhone could stand to grow a little bit... and still not be uncomfortable to hold.

That's a good point though I have doubts Apple would introduce a new aspect ratio to their iPhone line. To me that seems too extreme even there are clear benefits for being able to increase display length without increasing device length by shortening the top and bottom casing.

For reference, the iPhone's 3.5" display is 1.94" wide, while a 4" display, maintaining the same aspect ratio, would be 2.22" wide. That's 0.28" wider. Even if we reduce the casing on the side and make it thinner toward the bottom where your palm holds it will still likely feel larger. It may even make one hand thumb typing more difficult for many users.
post #18 of 36
Quote:

That's a good point though I have doubts Apple would introduce a new aspect ratio to their iPhone line. To me that seems too extreme even there are clear benefits for being able to increase display length without increasing device length by shortening the top and bottom casing.

For reference, the iPhone's 3.5" display is 2.91" wide, while a 4" display, maintaining the same aspect ratio, would be 3.33" wide. That's 0.42" wider. Even if we reduce the casing on the side and make it thinner toward the bottom where your palm holds it will still likely feel larger. It may even make one hand thumb typing more difficult for many users.

Yeah... Apple won't change the screen ratio.... but they should make the whole screen bigger.

I hope they do... even just a little bit. It's becoming a little cramped these days...
post #19 of 36
Quote:

Yeah... Apple won't change the screen ratio.... but they should make the whole screen bigger.

I hope they do... even just a little bit. It's becoming a little cramped these days...

This has been floating around but I don't quite understand some of the details.

PS: Fixed measurements on previous post.
post #20 of 36
Quote:

Looks like samsung is in trouble once again if this is true. The home buttons look nearly identical.

--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #21 of 36
Quote:

Looks like samsung is in trouble once again if this is true. The home buttons look nearly identical.

No, it is not in trouble. Samsung's phone is already out and basicaly we know s..t about the upcoming iPhone. Maybe Apple will be in trouble when the iPhone 5 is released.
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncore View Post

No, it is not in trouble. Samsung's phone is already out and basicaly we know s..t about the upcoming iPhone. Maybe Apple will be in trouble when the iPhone 5 is released.

Is it out? I thought that device wasn't coming out until 2012. It has been shown before any iPhone 5 was out but there is also evidence that there are potential iPhonr 5 templates that Samsung (and others) could have seen. Regardless I don't think any of it is enough to say one or the other is stealing.
post #23 of 36
After some thinking.... why would Best Buy even get this information so soon?

2010: Announced June 7... shipped June 24
2009: Announced June 8... shipped June 19
2008: Announced June 9... shipped July 11

Why would Apple have to tell retailers when to expect it?

There is always plenty of time for retailers to get ready... and Best Buy is only one retailer.
post #24 of 36
Quote:

Is it out? I thought that device wasn't coming out until 2012. It has been shown before any iPhone 5 was out but there is also evidence that there are potential iPhonr 5 templates that Samsung (and others) could have seen. Regardless I don't think any of it is enough to say one or the other is stealing.

SGS 2 is coming in a few weeks. i saw someone with an older model of the galaxy the other day and the screen was pretty good even though the colors were like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland saturated.

if the iphone 5 is a 4" phone i'll probably buy it over the Samsung phone. spending more than $50 on an android phone is painful for me. if the iphone 5 is in the mid 3" range again i'll go for the galaxy. doesn't matter to me since it's essentially free for me
post #25 of 36
That's pretty damn low Samsung.. if the iPhone5 does indeed look just like the SG2.. it will show why Apple was so concerned about seeing "future Samsung phones". After all.. Samsung is a manufacturer for Apple.. Apple is not a manufacturer for Samsung. Its pretty easy to figure out who copied who.. with both products releasing around the same time. I'm sure Apple has the proper documentation to show they were working on this wider 4" screen handset first. Probably the most disappointing aspect is that Samsung differs its handsets for every carrier, showing they can easily create ideas that greatly differ from Apple's product line.. yet they still copy.

I'll never buy an Android phone. Mainly because I'm already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem (2nd Gen iPod Nano, iPhone4, iPad2, 3rd Gen MBA, 2nd Gen AppleTV.. 100's of apps & tons of musics from the App store/iTunes). But also because I'm more concerned with devices that just work as advertised and do what they promise to do.. than a bunch of specs and the latest hardware. Things that "Android people" brag about.. and never concern me. I don't need HDMI, memory card slots, swappable batteries, huge screens on my phone. Hell I don't even need all that shyt on my laptop, why would I need it on my phone? What I do need is a phone that is well built, simple to use, doesn't crash or need constant reboots, has the apps/software I need, has long battery life, docks with devices I already have in my car/home/gym/work/hotel room. And that's where Apple wins.. they design their products from a consumer's perspective. Where as other manufacturers design their products from a engineer's perspective.

On another note, this is the first time I haven't been excited/craving for a new phone. Its a testament to how well the iPhone4 is built & works. After owning mine for 15 months now, it still doesn't feel old.. or needing an upgrade. It works well for the everyday tasks I do (taking pics, surfing the web, checking email, using apps, listening to music, FB/Twitter, texting/talking.. etc). It also helps that Im running iOS beta 5, and have access to the newest features. All this adds up to no immediate want/need to get the iPhone5.. no matter how great it could be. I'll try and wait a few months to see which carrier offers the best incentives.. and then see if its worth upgrading for a better phone & more importantly.. better/cheaper service plan.

I'm hoping with Sprint in the race now, that they force Verizon & ATT to become more competitive. Even if it that doesn't mean the return of unlimited data plans.. it could mean lowering the price on current tethering/data/texting plans to make them more appealing. ATT has been my carrier since 2004.. and while I have no real gripes about them after using the Motorola Rzar, several Blackberrys, Samsung Blackjack I & II and iPhone 3GS & 4.. there's no doubting Verizon is simply the bigger/better network with the most promising LTE future. It also helps that living in Washington, DC.. Verizon is the only carrier to have cell service in the subway thanks to grandfathered contracts. All of that means I'm pretty anxious to see what Verizon will offer.. to get customers to jump on their ship.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I haven't heard anything about any US carrier offering early upgrades yet. My wife (the primary line) has been eligible since June (18 months into our 24 month contract) and my upgrade date was showing Sept 9 (3 months early) until last week. I checked on Aug 29, and the Apple site said I was eligible, so I'm waiting with bated breath.

I received my iPhone 4 from ATT the day before the official release last year. (FedEx's mistake was my one day gain.) Anyway the point is that I started a two year contract on that day (about 1 year 3 months ago). As of today, my iPhone upgrade availability date on ATT.com is November 17. As I already own the lattest iPhone does that mean that November 17 may be the actual release date of the new iphone? This is just an FYI about my account, I don't have any inside information.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatton711 View Post

I received my iPhone 4 from ATT the day before the official release last year. (FedEx's mistake was my one day gain.) Anyway the point is that I started a two year contract on that day (about 1 year 3 months ago). As of today, my iPhone upgrade availability date on ATT.com is November 17. As I already own the lattest iPhone does that mean that November 17 may be the actual release date of the new iphone? This is just an FYI about my account, I don't have any inside information.

I don't think so. Mine is in December and it doesn't particularly make sense to me why, so I think we are all getting a boost. Maybe even if you had an iPhone before the 4 also, so they suspect you may upgrade.
post #28 of 36
I'm just excited that picture shows something about a Sprint iPhone5.

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

post #29 of 36
Quote:

This is all based on this really lame design document:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...07/iphone5.png

There is no way that's legit, some of the elements aren't even aligned properly. What macrumors has done is taken this document and "commissioned a set of renderings in an attempt to get an idea of what the iPhone 5 might look like".

That's the drawing you posted - a mockup of a mockup. There's no legitimate evidence for this design at all beyond the case manufacturers.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen because we all remember iPod Phatty but at this point, I don't see much strong evidence confirming it.
post #30 of 36
Quote:

After some thinking.... why would Best Buy even get this information so soon?

2010: Announced June 7... shipped June 24
2009: Announced June 8... shipped June 19
2008: Announced June 9... shipped July 11

Why would Apple have to tell retailers when to expect it?

There is always plenty of time for retailers to get ready... and Best Buy is only one retailer.

The Best Buy memo isn't quoting some official communication from Apple. They are simply speculating on the likely release date and hedging their bets.

Apple's CFO mentioned a product transition that would have material impact on this quarter. This combined with other rumors makes an iPhone announcement in the latter half of September to be a plausible scenario.

My guess is that Apple -- with their reputation of being secretive -- gives channel partners very little warning or lead time. They will keep the people who are least able to keep their mouths shut in the dark as long as possible: retail line employees. Those people will probably get the details the day they start selling the device.
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is all based on this really lame design document:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...07/iphone5.png

There is no way that's legit, some of the elements aren't even aligned properly. What macrumors has done is taken this document and "commissioned a set of renderings in an attempt to get an idea of what the iPhone 5 might look like".

That's the drawing you posted - a mockup of a mockup. There's no legitimate evidence for this design at all beyond the case manufacturers.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen because we all remember iPod Phatty but at this point, I don't see much strong evidence confirming it.

I'm just really depressed that these cases we've been seeing are actually going to be the iPhone.

Frigging worthless 4" screen, wider device (breaking physical compatibility with a ton of stuff), and (seemingly) too thin to have a decent battery (though Apple has astounded with batteries in the past).

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm just really depressed that these cases we've been seeing are actually going to be the iPhone.

Frigging worthless 4" screen, wider device (breaking physical compatibility with a ton of stuff), and (seemingly) too thin to have a decent battery (though Apple has astounded with batteries in the past).

But why taper it? When you hold it in landscape, it's not going to feel right. They won't be able to fit a flat battery inside. I'm not buying this (in two respects).

Obviously case manufacturers staking part of their business on it being this way lends some weight to it but this just looks wrong. Is that giant button actually going to be a push button? It just seems ludicrous.

Now, if they put cell phone parts into an opposite shaped wedge that makes it flat and gives you the freedom from network carriers and doubles as an iPod Touch without it, that makes sense but that still doesn't fix everything else.

What possible reason could they have for making a physical button huge? I'd say none, unless it's not a physical button. But even then, this doesn't seem right. This looks like a design you'd leak to send case manufacturers on the wrong path and uncover a leak.
post #33 of 36
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the battery. Apple has yet to ruin battery life in favour of a thinner design so I don't think they'd start now.
post #34 of 36
Quote:

But why taper it? When you hold it in portrait, it's not going to feel right. They won't be able to fit a flat battery inside.

I think you mean landscape, but your point is taken.
post #35 of 36
Quote:

But why taper it? When you hold it in portrait, it's not going to feel right. They won't be able to fit a flat battery inside. I'm not buying this (in two respects).

I know, right? It just doesn't seem like Apple to have something angled that doesn't contain a keyboard (would've just said 'a wedge design', but the MacBook Air uses that to great effect).

Quote:
Is that giant button actually going to be a push button? It just seems ludicrous.

Capacitive, maybe? That way it would lend itself to gestures (oh, personal note: WHY. we have the screen for that). But also, if it isn't a hardware button, users no longer have an 'out' when the system locks up.

Quote:
Now, if they put cell phone parts into an opposite shaped wedge that makes it flat and gives you the freedom from network carriers and doubles as an iPod Touch without it, that makes sense but that still doesn't fix everything else.

Now THAT'S a crazy idea. It's interesting. That sounds like something cool a competitor (REAL competitor) would do.

Seems that everyone has given up on the PMP market (and with good reason: Apple won), but if someone came out with their own iPod touch-esque device that was designed like you just described, people would buy it (particularly if the phone plans didn't require data. Then it would definitely serve to fill the market the iPhone doesn't). If nothing else, it would be lauded for its innovation and neat concept.

Quote:
This looks like a design you'd leak to send case manufacturers on the wrong path and uncover a leak.

That's how I felt at the beginning as well.

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the battery. Apple has yet to ruin battery life in favour of a thinner design so I don't think they'd start now.

You're right. I'd forgotten the iPad 2 introduction.

"So with all this, more power, thinner, lighter, something's gotta give, right? Nope. Same 10 hour battery life."

It's a shame that we may not have many more opportunities to hear Steve Jobs gush, "It's even THINNER!" I always loved how he did that. If there's anywhere the RDF came into action, it's when Steve's as astounded as any of us that Apple is able to get their stuff as thin as they do.

post #36 of 36
Quote:

I know, right? It just doesn't seem like Apple to have something angled that doesn't contain a keyboard (would've just said 'a wedge design', but the MacBook Air uses that to great effect).

Marvin ha a good counter-point to these renderings but I don' feel they are too bizarre either.When you hold it in 'a' hand on portrait you aren't going to notice the wedge, and with a wider display you need to make the rest of the travel for the back of the hand thinner to help retain one handed thumb typing. I think that could easily have been considered by Apple.

Of course, two-handed landscape use would result in a thick and thin side, but I can't help but wonder how much that would affect the usage. Maybe a lot, maybe a little. I really don't know, but I think the design has some merit.

Some things to consider are other vendors who have made the camera end of their devices thicker to accommodate the necessary optics. Do these have a history of being too cumbersome to hold? I certainly haven't heard of any such complaints, outside of poor aesthetics, though not one has ever had the mindshare of the iPhone to make even real complaints manifest over silly complaints about the iPhone. C'est la vie.

Quote:
Capacitive, maybe? That way it would lend itself to gestures (oh, personal note: WHY. we have the screen for that). But also, if it isn't a hardware button, users no longer have an 'out' when the system locks up.

Maybe it'll toggle so you can press in the center, or press to one side or the other for different effects.

One thing I'd like to see, though this is SW, is a better way to enact voice control. The duration of pressing the Home Button to wait for voice control to start is way too long. I'd like something more intuitive and/or even a new button specifically for this feature that starts instantly. Maybe even adding a feature to the Mute switch. For instance, if you press it down instead of toggling it you enable voice control/Assistant. Though that might be a tricky physical button to create while also making it durable.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Best Buy preparing for Oct. launch of Apple's iPhone 5