or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype

iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype

post #1 of 50
Even as rumors of Apple's fifth-generation iPhone persist ahead of an anticipated launch, sales of the iPhone 4, first released in 2010, reportedly continue to top the competition at both AT&T and Verizon.

Analyst T. Michael Walkley with Canaccord Genuity revealed in a note to investors on Tuesday that checks with U.S. carriers indicate that sales of the iPhone 4 remain on top ahead of the iPhone 5 debut, despite the fact that the iPhone 4 is more than a year old.

"Our checks indicated strong sales of the iPhone 4, as it remained the top selling smartphone at AT&T and Verizon despite increasing consumer expectations for the iPhone 5 launch," he wrote.

"During the holiday season, we anticipate strong sales of the iPhone 5, as we anticipate a strong global launch with increased distribution to new carriers including Sprint in the U.S. market."

Walkley's research found that the iPhone 4 remained the top-selling handset at both AT&T and Verizon in August. In addition, the $50 entry-level $50 iPhone 3GS was the second strongest selling handset at AT&T. Verizon does not offer the iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS beat out the $200 Samsung Infuse 4G, which was the third-best selling handset at AT&T. And at Verizon, the Samsung Charge 4G came in second, while the HTC Thunderbolt 4G was third.

"While Motorola Mobility and RIM enjoyed stronger sell-through trends in 2010, our (first half of calendar 2011) checks indicate a clear trend toward increasing share for Apple, HTC and Samsung," Walkley wrote.

In addition to strong sales of the iPhone 4, he also found that the 3G-capable iPad 2 is the top-selling tablet at both AT&T and Verizon, which are the only two carriers that offer the iPad in the U.S.

Walkley's expectation that the so-called "iPhone 5" will be available on Sprint in addition to AT&T and Verizon stems from a rumor that surfaced last month. The Wall Street Journal cited anonymous sources who revealed America's third-largest carrier would gain access to the nation's best-selling smartphone.

His findings reaffirm what Walkley found earlier this year, in May, when checks with carriers found that the iPhone 3GS, despite first being released in 2009, continues to outsell newer Android devices. In addition, he found at the time that the first-generation iPad at Verizon was outselling many Android-powered tablets.

Based on strong sales of the iPhone 4 and continued momentum expected with the launch of Apple's next-generation handset, Canaccord Genuity has raised its price target for AAPL stock to $545, from $515.

"Based on solid demand trends for iPhone/iPad, poor sell-through trends for competing tablet offerings, and the ramping iOS ecosystem driving longer-term replacement sales, we believe Apple will maintain dominant value share of both the tablet and smartphone markets to drive healthy long-term earnings growth," Walkley said.
post #2 of 50
Quote:
Analyst

...we anticipate

Uh, unless you're drunk and think you work for Apple, Mr. Analyst, you have absolutely no right no authority to say "we" in your predictions.

Though analysts being drunk and thinking they actually work for the companies on which they're reporting makes a LOT of sense when put into context of what analysts have said over the years. They think they work for Apple, so they think that what they're predicting is fact that they read on some company internal document (that was actually a dirty napkin they found in their apartment while drunk).

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 50
Most people don't read tech news sites. There is little iPhone 5 hype outside of that. When people want a phone, they go to the store and see what's available. They don't read the rumors sites to see what's coming down the pipe, nor do they care. They know a better one will come eventually, but they want a phone today.
post #4 of 50
Nice going Verizon with the expensive Android handsets, though I expect that to change soon enough when the iPhone 4 becomes the new inexpensive iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, unless you're drunk and think you work for Apple, Mr. Analyst, you have absolutely no right no authority to say "we" in your predictions.

I think the 'we' could refer to the company he represents, Canaccord Genuity.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Most people don't read tech news sites. There is little iPhone 5 hype outside of that. When people want a phone, they go to the store and see what's available. They don't read the rumors sites to see what's coming down the pipe, nor do they care. They know a better one will come eventually, but they want a phone today.

I read tech news sites like this one. Yet, I am very happy with my iPhone 4. I see no real need to upgrade. If only AT&T would cut the amount of my monthly bill after the iPhone goes out of contract, I would keep my iPhone 4 for a long long time. But, since they are not going to, I will upgrade as soon as I am eligible, just to get the discounted price for the iPhone 5.
post #6 of 50
The best stat is how well 3GS is doing. If I remember correctly iPhone 4 was the first iPhone with A X chipset, which is a pretty beastly chipset compared to previous (ARM?) designs that apple was using. It has the retina display. It runs iOS 5 without any hiccups.

For these reasons I think it will be even more popular than the 3GS. If the screen size remains unchained in iP5, it would almost not even feel like you are getting an "old" device, especially to someone who does not care about gaming (the one area where A5 can be shown to be clearly superior to the "naked" eye).
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I read tech news sites like this one. Yet, I am very happy with my iPhone 4. I see no real need to upgrade. If only AT&T would cut the amount of my monthly bill after the iPhone goes out of contract, I would keep my iPhone 4 for a long long time. But, since they are not going to, I will upgrade as soon as I am eligible, just to get the discounted price for the iPhone 5.

And this is the thinking of most people.

Very few customers "hold out" for a device once they can upgrade. In fact, it's a common misconception among customers that they'll "lose" the upgrade if they wait too long (a misconception that shady dealers will encourage). On verizon, customers held out for an iphone, but that's because they WANTED an iphone (of any model). If the 3Gs came out when ATT had a iPhone4, a LOT of those customers would buy the 3GS because it was an iphone and they had the upgrade.

Think about it, when the iphone4 finally came to verizon a lot of people thought it wouldn't sell well, because the iphone5 was just around the corner. But it sold well. Why? because people could upgrade and they wanted a new toy TODAY.
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The best stat is how well 3GS is doing. If I remember correctly iPhone 4 was the first iPhone with A X chipset, which is a pretty beastly chipset compared to previous (ARM?) designs that apple was using. It has the retina display. It runs iOS 5 without any hiccups.

For these reasons I think it will be even more popular than the 3GS. If the screen size remains unchained in iP5, it would almost not even feel like you are getting an "old" device, especially to someone who does not care about gaming (the one area where A5 can be shown to be clearly superior to the "naked" eye).

Yes, it's the first one we were told about with the A# designation. However, both the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 both use ARMv7 Cortex-A8 chips which are worlds above the previous ARMv6 ARM11 chips used in the original iPhone and iPhone 3G.
post #9 of 50
iPhone 5 on Sprint will eliminate another safe haven for Android in the US. I wonder if we will see the iPhone on T-mobile...
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, it's the first one we were told about with the A# designation. However, both the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 both use ARMv7 Cortex-A8 chips which are worlds above the previous ARMv6 ARM11 chips used in the original iPhone and iPhone 3G.

Bad on me, I could have sworn iPhone 4 felt faster. Maybe there is some other reason for that.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #11 of 50
In related news: Checks Indicate Strong Sales Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch. Apple Price Target Raised to $545

http://www.forbes.com/sites/canaccor...-at-canaccord/

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

iPhone 5 on Sprint will eliminate another safe haven for Android in the US. I wonder if we will see the iPhone on T-mobile...

Wow I just had a crazy idea. Picture this. Apple buys T-Mobile. Now, they don't care about voice, so they drop that, and turn the frequency into LTE only spectrum. Now you can buy iPod touch and iPad and use that spectrum for LTE (paying fees directly to apple). Maybe even release an iPhone for that spectrum (though I don't know if T-mo could handle that). It will be super fast and reasonably priced. It will also never happen, but man would that be awesome.

Edit: the name of the new carrier will be Apple Tea!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #13 of 50
Quote:

Bad on me, I could have sworn iPhone 4 felt faster. Maybe there is some other reason for that.

The A4 chip on the iPhone 4 runs at a higher clock rate than the Samsung S5PC100 chip on iPhone 3GS. The A4 has more integration as an SoC, more memory, and much better graphics, all of which contributes to better performance on the iPhone 4.
post #14 of 50
Quote:

What cvaldes1831 said. I was just pointing out the CPU architecture, not the other aspects of the PoP/SoC.
post #15 of 50
Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy, Samsung Epic, Samsung Vibrant, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo, HTC Sensation, HTC myTouch (plus another 10 or more on sale in the US)

iPhone

Huge advantage having only one phone with one product name year after year. Numbers change but it it always an iPhone. Great marketing.

All iPhone fans make the same recommendation to their friends. HTC / Samsung / Droid fans all have a different favorite device.

When you go shopping for providers, you do not see much in the way of top line constants in android phones. Now you have two big companies with the same iPhone, once there are more, the one phone choice will have an even bigger impact on consumers.

Even if Samsung take over from Apple in total smart phone sales, iPhone will still be the biggest selling device and that has huge influence on someone new to the market.

This is the genius of Steve Jobs.
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The A4 chip on the iPhone 4 runs at a higher clock rate than the Samsung S5PC100 chip on iPhone 3GS. The A4 has more integration as an SoC, more memory, and much better graphics, all of which contributes to better performance on the iPhone 4.

In the keynote introducing the A4 (?) chip, I believe the graphics performance is what the presenters were emphasizing (I vaguely remember claims of it being 9 times faster).
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

In the keynote introducing the A4 (?) chip, I believe the graphics performance is what the presenters were emphasizing (I vaguely remember claims of it being 9 times faster).

Was that the A4 or A5? I was thinking it was the A5 but I think that each could be 9x faster than before. I'll check the special events…

edit:

edit 2: It's arguably still the first dual-core tablet to ship in volume.
post #18 of 50
Quote:

Was that the A4 or A5? I was thinking it was the A5 but I think that each could be 9x faster than before. I'll check the special events...

It was the A5. I thought that sounded incorrect, myself.

post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Yes with the cost of operation no less if you own your phone, there is little point in not upgrading to the latest.

My 8 month old well used iPhone 4 is still surprising me with it's many capabilities. I'm not concerned about keeping it for the 2y3m left in my contract. I expect by then the iPhone 6 will be out and proven, so I'll accept my carriers "gift" of a free new iPhone to continue my contract for another term.

My current iPhone 4 is promised to a family member for use as a simple phone plus all the other functions it is capable of.
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

...8 month old 2y3m left

Lord have mercy on your three-year sentence

post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy, Samsung Epic, Samsung Vibrant, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo, HTC Sensation, HTC myTouch (plus another 10 or more on sale in the US)
iPhone

Huge advantage having only one phone with one product name year after year. Numbers change but it it always an iPhone. Great marketing.
This is the genius of Steve Jobs.

Definitely, having only one iPhone with regards to function, with only a storage difference size decision, makes for a much easier consumer decision.
The others present a confusing collection of different phones. RIM now in survival mode has even added to it's already too large a collection of models.

May Apple continue to KISS the iPhone.
post #22 of 50
Quote:

Was that the A4 or A5? I was thinking it was the A5 but I think that each could be 9x faster than before.

The graphics part in the A4 is most definitely not 9x faster than the one in the 3GS, in fact, it was relatively weak, and only a minor upgrade compared to the 3GS. They both have an SGX 535, but on the iPhone 4 it's clocked higher.
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Definitely, having only one iPhone with regards to function, with only a storage difference size decision, makes for a much easier consumer decision.
The others present a confusing collection of different phones.

I disagree here. What you see as a 'confusing collection' I see as a breadth of choices as everyone likes something different, keyboard vs touchscreen, size, etc. Once size does not fit all nor should it. No doubt a single unified product helps consumer education and awareness, but it does have drawbacks.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I disagree here. What you see as a 'confusing collection' I see as a breadth of choices as everyone likes something different, keyboard vs touchscreen, size, etc. Once size does not fit all nor should it. No doubt a single unified product helps consumer education and awareness, but it does have drawbacks.

I have to agree with the first poster, here's why:

Personally I think we are moving more towards making life easier, with choice comes more complexity, Especially in the smart phone market. I think the main reason the iPhone is selling so well is because it is simple. Not only is it simple to use but there is no complexity in choosing an iPhone model cuz there are only two choices. I have checked out many Android phones and I get a headache trying to figure out which one to buy so I gave up and I'm a nerd!

Imagine how it must be for a normal consumer! They are just buying what the punk sales rep tells them. The sales rep has very little clue. They are like car salesmen. They sell you a bunch of lies when it comes to Andoid powered phones - thats it. I'm sure they gloss over many things when they sell phones, including iPhones. In the end it is buyer beware, all we can do is educate ourselves, personally I trust Apple more than Samsung and alike, Atleast I got to use the phone at the Apple Store how many Android phones can you actually browse the web with in the store?

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

you mean a breadth of "crappy" choices right? then Android's for you.

post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Personally I think we are moving more towards making life easier, with choice comes more complexity, Especially in the smart phone market. I think the main reason the iPhone is selling so well is because it is simple. Not only is it simple to use but there is no complexity in choosing an iPhone model cuz there are only two choices. I have checked out many Android phones and I get a headache trying to figure out which one to buy so I gave up and I'm a nerd!

Imagine how it must be for a normal consumer! They are just buying what the punk sales rep tells them. The sales rep has very little clue. They are like car salesmen. They sell you a bunch of lies when it comes to Andoid powered phones - thats it. I'm sure they gloss over many things when they sell phones, including iPhones. In the end it is buyer beware, all we can do is educate ourselves, personally I trust Apple more than Samsung and alike, Atleast I got to use the phone at the Apple Store how many Android phones can you actually browse the web with in the store?

Oh the humanity!! How does anyone ever decide anything in my life that wasn't picked for them? Please. I respect your opinion but it's a terrible argument. I can't imagine what it was like for you to buy your first car or washing machine.

To answer your last question, all of them (last time I was in VZ or ATT), unless you're in Best Buy, in which case you already failed.

My wife loves a real keyboard. period. I would never say she should be forced to use a touchscreen because Apple or I say so or think it's best. We all have different desires. Do what makes you happy.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

you mean a breadth of "crappy" choices right? then Android's for you.

I really was talking choices from a platform agnostic point of view. I'm certainly not starting a flame war with that can of worms. Competition in the marketplace is good for all.
post #28 of 50
Quote:

if people can go buy a car they can figure out what phone to buy - the idea that now as a society we need things to be dumb down to 2 options is nonsense.
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

if people can go buy a car they can figure out what phone to buy - the idea that now as a society we need things to be dumb down to 2 options is nonsense.

You're talking about two very different markets. Remember that smartphones are just handheld computers and cars are a lot more. It's easy for a customer to wrap their head around whether they want cloth or leather seats, and what color they wish them to be. It's easy for them to say I want the seat heaters, I want the navigation system, I want the extra horsepower, I want the convertible. These are all very real and very tangible elements for them to choose from. They likely have anecdotes for each and every option being offered.

When it comes to a smartphone very little of the device is being presented to the customer. You're talking about spec sheet options that make it more difficult for a vendor to produce an item and which are ultimately pointless to nearly all customers.

You have 768MB RAM instead of 512MB? You have a 1.2GHz CPU instead of a 1GHz CPU? You have a 4 core GPU instead of a 2 core GPU? What does that mean to the customer? More programs can be loaded, can load and run faster? Not necessarily as it depends on the OS being used and many other aspects of the HW. How about the additional power requirements. Did you consider that?

Apple offers the iPhone 3GS in black in one size (1), the iPhone 4 in white and black (+2), and offers them in 2 capacities (x2). That's 5 SKUs for the iPhone without considering the Verizon models. They have 18 SKUs for the iPad. How man should they have? This is a pocketable device, not a vehicle.

PS: How are the multiples of Android smartphone and tablet options working out for vendors? Apple seems to be dominating on revenue and profits in every category.

PPS: Ever notice that restaurants with the highest ratings have a very limited menu in which they do well while the worst restaurants have a unbelievably huge menu where nothing tastes great. Do you love that your wings and french fries are deep-fried in same oil as the fish? I certainly don't.
post #30 of 50
Quote:

Every corporate store I've been to, and most 3rd party stores, have live demos of android devices for you to play with and test out.
post #31 of 50
Quote:

PS: How are the multiples of Android smartphone and tablet options working out for vendors? Apple seems to be dominating on revenue and profits in every category.

Judging by HTC's and Samsungs increasing profits in the mobile division, I'd say quite well. They're not "apple" good, but I don't think any company realistically expects it. No other company has Apple's brand or purchasing power.
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

No other company has Apple's brand or purchasing power.

Apple's brand recognition and purchasing power are a result of their focus, not in spite of.
post #33 of 50
Quote:

Don't you wish it was like that for everything? One car to choose from. One TV set. One toaster oven.

Even clothes! How can one possibly choose whether to buy jeans and a black turtleneck, or to buy a suit!

Boy, it sure would be better if every company was more like Apple!!!

post #34 of 50
Quote:

Apple's brand recognition and purchasing power are a result of their focus, not in spite of.

And I never said it wasn't. But it's a focus they've cultivated for years. They've had the same "brand image" for longer than the "idevice" naming scheme existed. They have an eco-system built around it, and decades of brand legacy over design.

HTC is focusing on doing that, but they've only released phones AS HTC for 5 years, so they have awhile to go. They're also (wisely) trying to hit on areas their competitors might miss rather than going at them directly, and creating multiple devices helps them.

That being said, I think there is a bit too much confusion, but some of that is the carrier's fault. Take Verizon. They have the Incredible 2, the Thunderbolt, and whatever the new leaked "superphone" is that TIMN showed off last week. All of them are HTC, with only a few differences. Pretty sure that's verizon's doing, not HTC's. That;s the other downside to not having clout, you have to take orders from your "partners".
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the $50 entry-level $50 iPhone 3GS

Today's typo...
post #36 of 50
Quote:

And I never said it wasn't. But it's a focus they've cultivated for years. They've had the same "brand image" for longer than the "idevice" naming scheme existed. They have an eco-system built around it, and decades of brand legacy over design.

So while HTC COULD focus and try and create something similar, it would take years to do so, years that companies don't really have the luxury of affording in this "instant results" culture.

So they do the next best thing, They work to create a "valued" brand while also trying to satisfy needs they see aren't met by their (more popular) competitors. Until 2006, HTC didn't even produce phones under their own name, instead using other brands. So they're in year 5 of brand building. It takes time, as apple has shown.

That seems to be the unfortunate mindset and the downfall of many vendors. They think they need to rush to market so they can see "Me first!" instead of actually refining a product that people want. Apple was nearly bankrupt and their brand was in the toilet from over a decade of poor decisions.

They didn't build it up over night. They created a product they loved and then worked to grow the brand. Just look at the iPod slow start and eventual domination. HTC, Samsung, HP, Moto, and even Dell all have the same opportunities. In many ways they have more because Apple has opened up new frontiers for markets that didn't exist before.

For example, Palm had great potential with the Palm Pre. There stock jumped 15x in 6 months. People were excited for this product. But they rushed to market the SDK (which they eventually completely changed), the OS, and the HW to beat Apple to the release of their iPhone by a couple weeks. That meant it was completely overshadowed by the dominant device before it got off the ground. I think if Palm waited until Autumn to release the Palm Pre for the holiday shopping season with nearly an extra half-year of development on all counts, including a decent app store out of the gate, that they would be on the list of top 5 vendors today.
post #37 of 50
Quote:

That seems to be the unfortunate mindset and the downfall of many vendors. They think they need to rush to market so they can see "Me first!" instead of actually refining a product that people want. Apple was nearly bankrupt and their brand was in the toilet from over a decade of poor decisions.

They didn't build it up over night. They created a product they loved and then worked to grow the brand. Just look at the iPod slow start and eventual domination. HTC, Samsung, HP, Moto, and even Dell all have the same opportunities. In many ways they have more because Apple has opened up new frontiers for markets that didn't exist before.

For example, Palm had great potential with the Palm Pre. There stock jumped 15x in 6 months. People were excited for this product. But they rushed to market the SDK (which they eventually completely changed), the OS, and the HW to beat Apple to the release of their iPhone by a couple weeks. That meant it was completely overshadowed by the dominant device before it got off the ground. I think if Palm waited until Autumn to release the Palm Pre for the holiday shopping season with nearly an extra half-year of development on all counts, including a decent app store out of the gate, that they would be on the list of top 5 vendors today.

I actually think the biggest thing that killed the pre is that they announced it and had months of waiting, chose sprint as a launch partner, and had one of the WORST ad campaigns in recent memory.

I think HTC is working on creating an identity, but they're only in year 5 of being "HTC"
post #38 of 50
Quote:

I actually think the biggest thing that killed the pre is that they announced it and had months of waiting, chose sprint as a launch partner, and had one of the WORST ad campaigns in recent memory.

I think HTC is working on creating an identity, but they're only in year 5 of being "HTC"

I don't think Sprint or the Borg Queen helped, but I think a poorly chosen launch date with an unfinished product was their biggest downfall.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I agree. Apple's kept quiet about future devices. People who don't follow tech sites/blogs are not likely to have heard the hype, because that hype isn't coming from Apple. It's coming from tech/rumor sites looking for click traffic.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 50
deleted
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype