or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype

iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

I think HTC is working on creating an identity, but they're only in year 5 of being "HTC"

And in what year will they stop announcing new phones when the previously announced phones haven't even been released yet?
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

And in what year will they stop announcing new phones when the previously announced phones haven't even been released yet?

When they have enough clout to tell carriers to stop delaying devices and HTC (not the carriers) sets the release schedule.
post #43 of 50
Quote:

When they have enough clout to tell carriers to stop delaying devices and HTC (not the carriers) sets the release schedule.

Or maybe they could just NOT make more phones than

Oh, forget it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or maybe they could just NOT make more phones than

Oh, forget it.

Really? So you're suggesting that, in a market dictated by having the "Next biggest thing" they just stick to a one a year release cycle BEFORE they have any brand clout?

If that happened they might have some nice sales at the first launch, but then they would lose sales quickly as people jumped towards the new Motorola/Samsung device.

Not only that, but in the US, the carriers still dictate phone releases for pretty much EVERY company but Apple because no other company has the brand clout Apple has. Sure, the manufacturers could try playing hardball, but then the carriers would just pick someone else.

You could argue they could get around this by making their own OS so they weren't just another "android" maker. But then you'd have yet another device launch without ANY ecosystem to support it.
post #45 of 50
Quote:

Really? So you're suggesting that, in a market dictated by having the "Next biggest thing" they just stick to a one a year release cycle BEFORE they have any brand clout?

That's the latest excuse, no "brand clout"? Everyone laughed at Apple and the iPhone prior to and at it's release. No brand clout there.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #46 of 50
Quote:

I'm suggesting HTC put back the leaves they took out of Osborne Computer Company's book and not say, "Hey, you know that great phone you've been waiting months for? IT'S TRASH! WE MADE A NEW ONE! Enjoy waiting six more months for the new one to come out while we keep introducing more crap!"

Quote:
the brand clout Apple has.

So you said HTC's going into its 5th year of being called HTC? And it has no "brand clout"?

Huh. Oh, look at that, Apple's going into its 5th year of selling phones. And apparently it has "brand clout".

STRANGE.

post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

you mean a breadth of "crappy" choices right? then Android's for you.

I have Droid 2 and iPad 2.

Android hammers iOS every which way. And I mean it utterly obvliates iOS. Android is for power users. Unless there is a particular iOS-only app you need. Actually a lot of apps I like aren't even available on iOS. Go try an Android, then come back and let us know.

Widgets, keyboard, camera button, better camera, no stupid company telling you what you can't do (you can load apps from ANYwhere), tethering in one click with one free app WITHOUT jailbreaking/rooting, faster, bigger screen, better hardware, but most importantly it's EASIER to use! Better phone dialer. Voice recognition. And a STANDARD user interface with the Home/Settings/Back buttons. Back is especially great.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm suggesting HTC put back the leaves they took out of Osborne Computer Company's book and not say, "Hey, you know that great phone you've been waiting months for? IT'S TRASH! WE MADE A NEW ONE! Enjoy waiting six more months for the new one to come out while we keep introducing more crap!"

So you said HTC's going into its 5th year of being called HTC? And it has no "brand clout"?

Huh. Oh, look at that, Apple's going into its 5th year of selling phones. And apparently it has "brand clout".

STRANGE.

You know I thought the same thing for 1/2 a second but the difference is we all knew who Apple was before the iPhones but had never once heard of HTC before they made phones.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You know I thought the same thing for 1/2 a second but the difference is we all knew who Apple was before the iPhones but had never once heard of HTC before they made phones.

True, but HTC has made good devices since their inception. Yes, we knew Apple as a company, but they were absolute greenhorns when it came to phones. No one knew if they'd be any good.

The same can be said of HTC, but HTC phones, despite their software shortcomings, are definitely made of good hardware and are on the positive side of durable and reliable. They've proven their mettle in just as short a time as Apple has, so there's no excuse for not having

What was it, again? Ah, yes, "brand clout". I'll have to remember that one.

post #50 of 50
deleted
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 remains top-selling US smartphone despite growing iPhone 5 hype