or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Pray for rain; heat wave continues and wildfires ravage the state

Pray for rain; heat wave continues and wildfires ravage the state - Page 4

post #121 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...we are open to various possibilities:

1. The Divine caused the big bang and everything since then is random, evolution is part of physics
2. Intelligent Design... Evolution happens but can be "tweaked" or "seeded" by aliens, The Divine, whatever
3. It's all not real anyway, the "universe" is a hallucination of sorts
4. Evolution is irrelevant because all possible universes exist simultaneously and we human sentient beings are only one of many possible (infinite?) universes
5. Evolution is real and happens but we are still learning a lot about it

Told you it was crazy

1. Where did the "Divine" come from? ... If the divine just "is", then we could as easily skip that step and just say the Big Bang (inaccurate term... in this case, trying to simplify things for the masses seems to have done more harm than good) just "happened"... One less step = simpler = more likely.

2. Aliens would at least acknowledge some realistic force at work... an actual, real, intelligent being or race or culture... Divine is still nothing more than imaginary. (unless you've got evidence to the contrary?) ... (I also realize we don't know of any actual aliens, but discussed in this context, we are simply acknowledging the possibility that other life could have evolved elsewhere as easily as here.)

3. So you're a child of the 60's too?? ... pass some of that this way!!

4. Theoretically possible, but we evolved (fact) in THIS one ...

5. No kidding it's real... it's a FACT... there is the fossil record and DNA that PROVES evolution is real. Now... "Natural Selection" is a theory that does a good job of explaining how evolution works... but even if Natural Selection is shown to be wrong, that doesn't change the fact that evolution happens. (happened? is happening? will happen?)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #122 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

1. Where did the "Divine" come from? ... If the divine just "is", then we could as easily skip that step and just say the Big Bang (inaccurate term... in this case, trying to simplify things for the masses seems to have done more harm than good) just "happened"... One less step = simpler = more likely.

Yup, one could say, "God just is". That's as simple as it can get. The problem is religion puts layers upon layers on that, like what you should eat and how you should act.

Quote:

2. Aliens would at least acknowledge some realistic force at work... an actual, real, intelligent being or race or culture... Divine is still nothing more than imaginary. (unless you've got evidence to the contrary?) ... (I also realize we don't know of any actual aliens, but discussed in this context, we are simply acknowledging the possibility that other life could have evolved elsewhere as easily as here.)

I look forward to alien contact. That *would* show some sort of force at work, and open up our understanding of the universe. How did they evolve, were they "created" in some way, what do they believe? At the very least it will give us a lot more data points whatever one believes.

Quote:

3. So you're a child of the 60's too?? ... pass some of that this way!!

I think I've had my fair share in my 20's.

(That's all I can share for now... Gotta run)
post #123 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup, one could say, "God just is". That's as simple as it can get. The problem is religion puts layers upon layers on that, like what you should eat and how you should act.

Agreed, mostly.

Quote:
I look forward to alien contact. That *would* show some sort of force at work, and open up our understanding of the universe. How did they evolve, were they "created" in some way, what do they believe? At the very least it will give us a lot more data points whatever one believes.

That would be interesting, and would likely make BR's head explode if an advanced alien species visited and believed in creation and a divine being.

Quote:
I think I've had my fair share in my 20's.

(That's all I can share for now... Gotta run)

Ok.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Pray for rain; heat wave continues and wildfires ravage the state