or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Chilean airplane crash located via Apple's Find My iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chilean airplane crash located via Apple's Find My iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

An iPhone survived an airplane crash into the ocean, kept functioning in salt water conditions, and was able to communicate with a cell tower?

Obviously not an AT&T service area.

I wonder if it just saved the last known location. I wouldn't assume the owner had it on the whole time, either. If I were on a plane that was going down, I would turn the phone on and try to call family and friends to say goodbye.
post #42 of 92
Could this story possibly be any more questionably sourced and technically improbable?
post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspears View Post

I weep for the future.

Kids nowadays are dumber than ever. I was on the subway a few days ago sitting next to a group of young kids and they can barely even speak properly. And with more and more electronic devices (smartphones, ipads etc.) to rely on, they probably can't even write, spell properly or think for themselves either. Their big dream in life is probably being on "jersey shore".

Many kids nowadays could be taken right from the movie idiocracy.
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Well as someone that just got off an airplane I can tell you that Airplane mode is NOT for take off and landing. "Anything with an on/off switch has to be in the off position and stowed" I think were her exact words. However, as several flight attendant friends of mine have told me, this has more to do with having passengers not be fiddling with electronic devices when they should be paying attention to safety instructions and such, and not having pieces of plastic and metal flying around in case of an emergency. Then once above 10,000 feet, you're allowed to be in Airplane mode.

Yeah, they didn't used to be so strict about it. I have never had to turn it OFF. I always have just had it in airplane mode in my pocket, or at least not using it. But on the last few flights I have taken, the announcement has been that it has to be OFF, and that airplane mode was NOT OKAY.

Not that I always pay careful attention to the safety announcements, but I guess some people can't wait to kill one more pig or zombie or whatever.
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Kids nowadays are dumber than ever. I was on the subway a few days ago sitting next to a group of young kids and they can barely even speak properly. And with more and more electronic devices (smartphones, ipads etc.) to rely on, they probably can't even write, spell properly or think for themselves either. Their big dream in life is probably being on "jersey shore".

My children, should I have them, shall know cursive. They shall know how to tell time from an analog clock, how to find something in a library without using a computer, and how to write using proper grammar and punctuation.

Someone has to keep civilization alive.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I doubt the iPhone could still broadcast but the Find My iPhone service might return the location of the last ping?

This is my suspicion as well.
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

An iPhone survived an airplane crash into the ocean, kept functioning in salt water conditions, and was able to communicate with a cell tower?

Yeah everyone is arguing whether people of a certain age know what airplane mode is, and they missed the whole idea that the only way find-me works is you have to have cell service at the time when you log onto Mobile me and ask it to locate the phone, if the phone is off at the time it says it can not find the phone. I played with the feature a number of times so I seen how it works and does not work. I never seen it report it last known power on location, I tested this feature since my son had his phone stolen, but he never turned on the location feature on the phone so we could not use the feature anyway. We know the person who stolen the phone did finally turn the phone off. So I check with the wife's phone what happen if the phone was powered off and you tried to locate it, nothing is what happens

I find this whole story hard to believe or credible, this plane crashed off shore not sure how far from the coast and if the plane was at any significant high the phone had no cell service and could not report its locate.

BTW for those arguing whether someone of certain age know how to use airplane mode, it not an age thing it is people who basically have not clue how to use technology and they come in all ages. Also all the flight I have been on of recent tell you to power the phone completely off, no airplane mode anymore, except once above 10K to 15K ft. At that point they do not care if it is airplane mode or not, it better to be in airplane mode since it save battery since searching for a signal used more power.
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Yeah, they didn't used to be so strict about it. I have never had to turn it OFF. I always have just had it in airplane mode in my pocket, or at least not using it. But on the last few flights I have taken, the announcement has been that it has to be OFF, and that airplane mode was NOT OKAY.

Not that I always pay careful attention to the safety announcements, but I guess some people can't wait to kill one more pig or zombie or whatever.


Yep this is true, it not about interfering with the plane anymore, it about getting everyone attention and having them focus on the crew and what they are telling you, plus most emergencies on planes happen at take off and landing and they do not want you playing with any electronic device. Recently I have seen them take people's phones who continue to use them after the announcement to turn them off, they usually say you will get it back when you are allow to use them again.
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

So in the course of "running a computer company that helps users with technology" (?) you field a lot of questions from iPhone users asking how to get their device to do this thing that they aren't even aware exists?

With all due respect, that sounds implausible. And given that the iPhone didn't exist for most of your companies history, irrelevant.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

Hmm. I would have thought that after 8 years, you would have worked up the ladder to where you didn't have to answer such trivial questions.

Doing the math (not sure how 2000 clients can have 4000 jobs), let's just say you helped 4000 people over 8 years. That's 500 people per year, or roughly 2 people per day (260 work days per year). I hope it didn't take you 4 hours to help them find the airplane mode.

I hope my calculations are right - I did them on my abacus, as I can't seem to find the calculator app on my iphone.
post #51 of 92
I speculate that (A) this is one for Snopes or (B) the iPhone was stowed in a Samsonite type suitcase, turned off, floating adrift, and a fisherman found it and turned it on possibly miles down current from the plane, which is why they found debris but no plane.
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.

Maybe in the world you live in, but I live in the real world, where people know how to do things. I guess out west we're just more independent. Don't be so pompous.
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lank View Post

My wife and I are both over 60. On our recent flight both of our iPhones and our iPad were in airplane mode. Our, well under 40, seat mate's Android was on and not in airplane mode for the whole flight from Anchorage to Seattle. And, believe me, she was not one you would have wanted to instruct in such matters unless you wanted to cause an in flight incident. So, please keep your ignorance to yourself. Thanks!

Well said. That guy is now on my ignore list for stupidity beyond belief.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Kids nowadays are dumber than ever. I was on the subway a few days ago sitting next to a group of young kids and they can barely even speak properly. And with more and more electronic devices (smartphones, ipads etc.) to rely on, they probably can't even write, spell properly or think for themselves either. Their big dream in life is probably being on "jersey shore".

Many kids nowadays could be taken right from the movie idiocracy.

Send them all to cameronj for training he specializes in the young smart users Plus he insulted me.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

I think "confirmation bias" is the salient point here

If you ran a shop selling only pears and bananas the conclusion based on the logic above is that everyone in the world eats only fruit.

I'm still somewhat suspicious of the OP given the actual technical architecture of the Find my Iphone service - but I'm over 40, so what would I know ...
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie View Post

I speculate that (A) this is one for Snopes or (B) the iPhone was stowed in a Samsonite type suitcase, turned off, floating adrift, and a fisherman found it and turned it on possibly miles down current from the plane, which is why they found debris but no plane.

Sadly that was my thought, not sure even an iPhone would keep working in sea water. Even if it were still dry in the sunken plane, would it be able to communicate below much water ... ? Not my area but I'd have thought not given morons with death grips can disrupt signals.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #57 of 92
"Originally Posted by Magic_Al
I doubt the iPhone could still broadcast but the Find My iPhone service might return the location of the last ping?"

Ah, that's believable. That is most likely the truth. It does makes you wonder about the aviation tracking technology in use these days when an iPhone is more accurate!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #58 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Neither does wifi, which you can now use on planes. Airplane mode is more for takeoff & landing than anything else, saves you from having to turn off your phone.

Enabling airplane mode turns off wifi, but you can re-enable wifi while remaining in airplane mode - presumably precisely because there is wifi on many flights now.
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.

Hehee! I'm over 40 and I can't figure it out! How do you do it?

BTW You can't fight the future, time is on your side
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

An iPhone survived an airplane crash into the ocean, kept functioning in salt water conditions, and was able to communicate with a cell tower?

Could have. I don't know that a cell tower is necessary since you can identify a receiver over GPS and GPS works under water. So if the person was traveling with their iPhone stored in something like a Pelican case - not unrealistic if they are military - then it could continue to broadcast.

Would definitely be interesting to find out more: if it was just a last ping or a continued signal and at what depth, etc.

I am going to have to test this with some dive buddies now
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How can they possibly know who has their devices on or not? I was just on a long international flight a few months ago and the crew doesn't go around checking everybody's phone or ipad. My iPad was in airplane mode the whole time, I didn't shut it off.

So you're violating FAA regulations. Are we supposed to be impressed?

No, they don't go around ripping phones out of everyone's pockets, but they announcement is quite clear. Everything with an on/off switch is supposed to be off.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

Your and idiot and you don't have a clue as to why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

Your are a reason why many people over 40 call people under 40 arrogant asses

Not for nothing, but I let you slide once, the second time I felt the need to address how you're coming across like an idiot.

You shouldn't be calling people idiots when you don't even know proper English. What you're intending to use is the contraction of the words "you are" which is supposed to be you're, not your.

Mr Pot....meet Mr. Kettle.

Carry on...

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #63 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

An iPhone survived an airplane crash into the ocean, kept functioning in salt water conditions, and was able to communicate with a cell tower?

A couple of facts:

1. We don't know how close to shore the plane was. Maybe the phone was able to connect to a cell tower.

2. "Find My iPhone" also works over wi-fi. Considering that many planes these days have wifi the plane can be broadcasting it's location without the need for a cellular connection.

3. If the phone lost connection during the crash, "Find My iPhone" will show you the location that was last recorded.

Now if the phone was actually able to broadcast it's location after the crash, that would be interesting.
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Yeah everyone is arguing whether people of a certain age know what airplane mode is, and they missed the whole idea that the only way find-me works is you have to have cell service at the time when you log onto Mobile me and ask it to locate the phone, if the phone is off at the time it says it can not find the phone. I played with the feature a number of times so I seen how it works and does not work. I never seen it report it last known power on location, I tested this feature since my son had his phone stolen, but he never turned on the location feature on the phone so we could not use the feature anyway. We know the person who stolen the phone did finally turn the phone off. So I check with the wife's phone what happen if the phone was powered off and you tried to locate it, nothing is what happens

I find this whole story hard to believe or credible, this plane crashed off shore not sure how far from the coast and if the plane was at any significant high the phone had no cell service and could not report its locate.

BTW for those arguing whether someone of certain age know how to use airplane mode, it not an age thing it is people who basically have not clue how to use technology and they come in all ages. Also all the flight I have been on of recent tell you to power the phone completely off, no airplane mode anymore, except once above 10K to 15K ft. At that point they do not care if it is airplane mode or not, it better to be in airplane mode since it save battery since searching for a signal used more power.


If my RELATIVE went down on a plane flight, i would have to log into THEIR user account to with their password to track their phone. Unless that person is your spouse, I find that very unlikely. I certainly don't know my dad's itunes accountname let alone his pAssword...
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

You're sounding like an idiot. I don't think you are one, but you're certainly sounding like one.

Unless, of course, you were being sarcastic (in which case, I would take back what I said).
post #66 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So you're violating FAA regulations. Are we supposed to be impressed?

No, they don't go around ripping phones out of everyone's pockets, but they announcement is quite clear. Everything with an on/off switch is supposed to be off.

Out of hundreds of people on every flight, I'm pretty sure that quite a few people have their devices still on. I don't see it as a big deal, rules or no rules. Many thousands of people probably ignore this rule every day. I also happen to violate traffic laws every single day, because I don't wait for a green light before I cross the street and I also violate numerous other laws and rules all of the time because I find them to be trivial and not worth my time.

I'm simply saying that there are plenty of other things on my mind when flying to be concerned about shutting my iPad completely off or leaving it on airplane mode. iPads pose no threat to the operation of an aircraft and if somebody is going to make a silly rule, then there had better be a good explanation as to why such a rule exists in the first place, otherwise a great many people will ignore these rules and pay them no mind.
post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

Hmm. I would have thought that after 8 years, you would have worked up the ladder to where you didn't have to answer such trivial questions.

Doing the math (not sure how 2000 clients can have 4000 jobs), let's just say you helped 4000 people over 8 years. That's 500 people per year, or roughly 2 people per day (260 work days per year). I hope it didn't take you 4 hours to help them find the airplane mode.

I hope my calculations are right - I did them on my abacus, as I can't seem to find the calculator app on my iphone.

post #68 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Could have. I don't know that a cell tower is necessary since you can identify a receiver over GPS and GPS works under water. So if the person was traveling with their iPhone stored in something like a Pelican case - not unrealistic if they are military - then it could continue to broadcast.

Would definitely be interesting to find out more: if it was just a last ping or a continued signal and at what depth, etc.

I am going to have to test this with some dive buddies now

The iPhone does not continuously transmit its location to Apple, only when the user requests it via Find My iPhone. So there is no "last ping" unless the family member requested it just as the plane was crashing.

Neither GPS or cell signals travel more than a couple feet underwater. Even if a cell connection was somehow established, water would attenuate the signals, which would throw off the triangulation calculation.

If the iPhone were floating in a case, the rough waves would have quickly carried it away to an irrelevant location.

I see no way to explain this article to where it makes any sense, other than the "acquaintance of the family" who supposedly e-mailed 9to5Mac with the Find My iPhone tip was a hoax.
post #69 of 92
You all can keep bashing and being defensive because you happen to be over 40 and thus not EVERYONE over 40 can't figure it out, but the fact remains that I'm the only one here with actual experience with thousands of clients, and I know the situation that I'm talking about very well. And apparently I should have been more clear - I'm the founder, CEO, technician, sales department and everything else in my company. And yes, it's been 8 years, and 2000 clients, and 4000 total jobs (some of which involved more than one visit, as they were companies who I bill monthly). I'm quite proud of the fact that I can pay my mortgage, travel around the world, save thousands per month for my future, all while working less than 30 hours a week (by choice). Running a company for 8 years with increasing profitability every year, and never a loss, may not be the biggest accomplishment in the world, but I'd wager it's more success than many of you haters can claim.

I'm sorry if my facts offended your sensibilities, but they are actual observations made over many years in a wide geographic area and varied socioeconomic circumstances. And yeah, I get paid $100 an hour for my help, and my clients are happy to refer their friends when I leave. That's how I've run a business for 8 years without spending a single dollar marketing. Good night all you sour pusses!

Oh and by the way, the reason the airlines now tell people to turn devices OFF instead of telling us to put them in airplane mode is BECAUSE they know that fliers DON"T KNOW HOW TO DO AIRPLANE MODE! So rather than just saying a sequence of words that they know are going in one ear and out the other, they dumb it down. And yes, there are plenty of people of ALL ages who ignore the airplane mode instructions, and who don't understand them.

PS Kudos also for your cognitive dissonance skills, claiming that my sample is skewed, yet ignoring the fact that you are all posters on an apple message board. So because you understand airplane mode, that means I'm wrong?

Duh.
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.

My Pop is 72. I bought him his first, second and third iPhone. So at +32 (and change) of the number you pulled out of your darkened southern orriface, he uses Airplane mode when on the plane and even Airplane mode with WiFi enabled every time he travels international.

You didn't offend me by being wrong. You are just wrong. Mom is 68 and she does the same. So far I'm batting 1.000 with my training.
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

My Pop is 72. I bought him his first, second and third iPhone. So at +32 (and change) of the number you pulled out of your darkened southern orriface, he uses Airplane mode when on the plane and even Airplane mode with WiFi enabled every time he travels international.

You didn't offend me by being wrong. You are just wrong. Mom is 68 and she does the same. So far I'm batting 1.000 with my training.

Congrats. As you correctly quoted from my post, I said "almost to a man". If you don't know what that means, I suggest you look it up. And if you still think your post refutes mine, then read the definition of "almost to a man" again.

Your sample size appears to be 2. Mine numbers in the hundreds. You're just wrong, sorry.
post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Congrats. As you correctly quoted from my post, I said "almost to a man". If you don't know what that means, I suggest you look it up. And if you still think your post refutes mine, then read the definition of "almost to a man" again.

Your sample size appears to be 2. Mine numbers in the hundreds. You're just wrong, sorry.

You asked how many do I know while you set the mark at < 1. I know 3 of 3 including me. You said, "Almost to a man" and I provided a woman too!!! (Hillary would be proud! ROAR!!!) My point is anecdotal works both ways. I just needed to provided one to debunk your test. I require no baseline because who the hell cares - on teh interwebs. It's a damned rumor blog...

I follow FAA guidelines because thems the rules while I work to get the ludicrous regulation changed. (just in case big brother is lurking).

Find a smaller brush.
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You all can keep bashing and being defensive because you happen to be over 40 and thus not EVERYONE over 40 can't figure it out, but the fact remains that I'm the only one here with actual experience with thousands of clients, and I know the situation that I'm talking about very well. And apparently I should have been more clear - I'm the founder, CEO, technician, sales department and everything else in my company. And yes, it's been 8 years, and 2000 clients, and 4000 total jobs (some of which involved more than one visit, as they were companies who I bill monthly). I'm quite proud of the fact that I can pay my mortgage, travel around the world, save thousands per month for my future, all while working less than 30 hours a week (by choice). Running a company for 8 years with increasing profitability every year, and never a loss, may not be the biggest accomplishment in the world, but I'd wager it's more success than many of you haters can claim.

I'm sorry if my facts offended your sensibilities, but they are actual observations made over many years in a wide geographic area and varied socioeconomic circumstances. And yeah, I get paid $100 an hour for my help, and my clients are happy to refer their friends when I leave. That's how I've run a business for 8 years without spending a single dollar marketing. Good night all you sour pusses!

Oh and by the way, the reason the airlines now tell people to turn devices OFF instead of telling us to put them in airplane mode is BECAUSE they know that fliers DON"T KNOW HOW TO DO AIRPLANE MODE! So rather than just saying a sequence of words that they know are going in one ear and out the other, they dumb it down. And yes, there are plenty of people of ALL ages who ignore the airplane mode instructions, and who don't understand them.

PS Kudos also for your cognitive dissonance skills, claiming that my sample is skewed, yet ignoring the fact that you are all posters on an apple message board. So because you understand airplane mode, that means I'm wrong?

Duh.

Again, what does any of this have to do with airplane mode on iPhones? It seems a tad hard to believe that many of these $100 service calls that you've performed over the past 8 years involved teaching bewildered over 40s how to turn on a function on their phones they didn't know existed.

Now maybe you've gotten the impression that people over 40 aren't very tech savvy, and extrapolated from that to conclude that they wouldn't know how to toggle a function on their iPhones. But you didn't say that, and iPhone owners can't really have been very many of those 2000 clients seeing as how it didn't even exist for half of your company's existence.

So when you say "I'm sorry if my facts offended your sensibilities, but they are actual observations made over many years in a wide geographic area and varied socioeconomic circumstances" I have to wonder what "facts" you're talking about. Many years of observing iPhone owners fail to grasp airplane mode?

Here are my facts: after many years of observing and interacting with internet posting boards I've concluded that self aggrandizing boastful folks such as yourself are typically full of shit. Sorry if my facts offend your sensibilities.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #74 of 92
I beg to differ! I'm a couple of decades beyond 40 and use airplane mode all the time -- as do most of my iPhone owning contemporaries! Not only on planes, but most nights I invoke airplane mode so I don't hear the sound of incoming email messages or SMS through the night. Turning on/off airplane mode is quicker than powering off/on.

Your sincere apologies for your ageist remarks are accepted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

So the people that ask you for tech support are idiots? Perhaps you are incompitant and blame the poor fools that don't know to find a competent tech support company? Self selection at it's finest. You have a bad tech support company only gets/keeps the dumbest clients. In all seriousness if you can't explain this kind of thing you are not describing it well and need to get help. If you are beyond help you need to find another job. I suspect poor language skills.
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You all can keep bashing and being defensive because you happen to be over 40 and thus not EVERYONE over 40 can't figure it out, but the fact remains that I'm the only one here with actual experience with thousands of clients, and I know the situation that I'm talking about very well. And apparently I should have been more clear - I'm the founder, CEO, technician, sales department and everything else in my company. And yes, it's been 8 years, and 2000 clients, and 4000 total jobs (some of which involved more than one visit, as they were companies who I bill monthly). I'm quite proud of the fact that I can pay my mortgage, travel around the world, save thousands per month for my future, all while working less than 30 hours a week (by choice). Running a company for 8 years with increasing profitability every year, and never a loss, may not be the biggest accomplishment in the world, but I'd wager it's more success than many of you haters can claim.

I'm sorry if my facts offended your sensibilities, but they are actual observations made over many years in a wide geographic area and varied socioeconomic circumstances. And yeah, I get paid $100 an hour for my help, and my clients are happy to refer their friends when I leave. That's how I've run a business for 8 years without spending a single dollar marketing. Good night all you sour pusses!

Oh and by the way, the reason the airlines now tell people to turn devices OFF instead of telling us to put them in airplane mode is BECAUSE they know that fliers DON"T KNOW HOW TO DO AIRPLANE MODE! So rather than just saying a sequence of words that they know are going in one ear and out the other, they dumb it down. And yes, there are plenty of people of ALL ages who ignore the airplane mode instructions, and who don't understand them.

PS Kudos also for your cognitive dissonance skills, claiming that my sample is skewed, yet ignoring the fact that you are all posters on an apple message board. So because you understand airplane mode, that means I'm wrong?

Duh.

Here are a couple of facts as well

- You too will be 40+ one day, and you know when that is
- When you're 40 plus, you will learn not to be offended by idiotic rants.

Don't flatter yourself and believe you actually offended anyone with the content of your rant.... Context, now that's another story. It's disappointing to see younger folks show no respect to their elders, but some may be offended because they can see their younger selves in you.

I only find offensive your arrogance and ignorance, and your willingness to defend them with desperate attempts to demonstrate self worth. "I'm a successful CEO who is a one man show company and turned profit for 8 years"! Good for you kid, do you want a birthday cake? What does that mean? First of all you can claim to be the pope here and nobody can verify it, so your claim is absolutely meaningless. Also, how do you know anyone's accomplishments here and why do you need to be in a pissing contest anyway? Too many issues are being exposed here, including your inability to know when to quit.
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You all can keep bashing and being defensive because you happen to be over 40 and thus not EVERYONE over 40 can't figure it out, but the fact remains that I'm the only one here with actual experience with thousands of clients, and I know the situation that I'm talking about very well.

Duh.

Look up 'selection bias'. The people who call you for tech support are, overwhelmingly, people who have a problem figuring something out. Let's say 1 million people over 40 need to use airplane mode on their iPhone. 999,900 of them figure out how to do it on their own and 100 can't figure it out. Those 100 call you for help.

Your figures would say that every single person over the age of 40 needed help, while the reality is very different.

Duh, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Out of hundreds of people on every flight, I'm pretty sure that quite a few people have their devices still on. I don't see it as a big deal, rules or no rules. Many thousands of people probably ignore this rule every day. I also happen to violate traffic laws every single day, because I don't wait for a green light before I cross the street and I also violate numerous other laws and rules all of the time because I find them to be trivial and not worth my time.

I'm simply saying that there are plenty of other things on my mind when flying to be concerned about shutting my iPad completely off or leaving it on airplane mode. iPads pose no threat to the operation of an aircraft and if somebody is going to make a silly rule, then there had better be a good explanation as to why such a rule exists in the first place, otherwise a great many people will ignore these rules and pay them no mind.

Sorry, but you're using juvenile excuses to justify breaking the law. And it doesn't matter if you have other things on your mind - they make an announcement on every flight to turn things off - and they specifically state that airplane mode is not sufficient. You have to intentionally ignore the law.

And you are not in a position to decide if it's safe. The FAA has determined that devices need to be turned of. I don't know if that was over concern for spurious radio signals or whether it's because of the risk of distraction (in an emergency, someone with headphones on playing music at high volume could become a risk to themselves and to others), but the FAA (which has responsibility for determining safe operations) has a rule - and you're choosing to ignore it.

It's no different than the person who's driving down the road at 100 mph and says that it's OK because speed limits are arbitrary and they're actually a good driver and they've never hurt anyone. Or any of the other petty rationalizations for breaking the law.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Here are a couple of facts as well

- You too will be 40+ one day, and you know when that is
- When you're 40 plus, you will learn not to be offended by idiotic rants.

I doubt it. Mindless bigots remain mindless bigots even as they age.

I can picture him as an Archie Bunker with a computer.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I doubt it. Mindless bigots remain mindless bigots even as they age.

I can picture him as an Archie Bunker with a computer.

True, though his bigotry is rooted in his low self-esteem, as it is usually the case. Bigots need to compensate for their inadequacies by constantly reassuring themselves that others are not as good as they are.
If he got that low self worth due to traumatic early childhood the prognosis is bad, the scars are deep. If he got it later due to playground bullying in middle school or high school, there is hope.
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Oh and by the way, the reason the airlines now tell people to turn devices OFF instead of telling us to put them in airplane mode is BECAUSE they know that fliers DON"T KNOW HOW TO DO AIRPLANE MODE!

OK, now I know you really are full of sh*t. That is not the reason people are told to turn off their devices instead of putting them in Airplane mode. I have 2 friends that are pilots and several that are flight attendants. It has everything to do with having passengers pay attention and not having loose objects out during takeoff and landing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Chilean airplane crash located via Apple's Find My iPhone